Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

So what order are the ME games and books?

rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rubsnick

From what I gather it's

ME:Revelation, ME1, ME:Ascencion, ME2, ME Retribution,ME3?

I'm planning on reading the books and then playing the games in chronological order. (Already beat both games once but got them on Steam again)

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jayross

Yup, revelation, one, ascension, two, retribution.

The comics fit somewhere, too, I guess.

rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By rubsnick

Thanks

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany
    The comics are before 2 I think
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kyrieee

I would recommend reading Relevation before ME1, then reading Ascension before ME2 and finally Retribution after ME2. The books don't outright spoil the games but they do build on characters and pieces of the fiction that were introduced in them.

edit: or maybe that's what you meant :P
    oh well

AAsama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AAsama

Thanks guys, pretty much decided to get the books because of this thread. Now i can actually make sense of which order i should read them in.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By maxszy
    @AAsama said:
    " Thanks guys, pretty much decided to get the books because of this thread. Now i can actually make sense of which order i should read them in. "
    The books are really good. Nice reads anyway. And as others have said, they really don't spoil the games really in anyway, but what they do offer is more developed characters and background stories that make the games more interesting.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By napalm

I think it's good to read all the comic series they released as well, as they do fit in the order of the rest of the universe and fills in some gaps.

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Aounslaught
    @kyrieee said:

" I would recommend reading Relevation before ME1  

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that at all. I don't think Revelation would make any sense if you don't have the knowledge you gain from Mass Effect 1. I mean, you CAN read it beforehand, but I think it'd be way more full filling if read afterwards. Especially if during the game you dig deep enough and encounter the dialog tree where Anderson talks about Saren and what went down in the past. 

Other than that, I don't think Ascension is particularly important overall. Retribution is definitely a great read, however. I'll just say that after reading Retribution, I started seeing Reapers in a different light.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.