Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Steam version support gamepad?

Zenthere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Zenthere

Does the PC (steam) version of ME2 support the gamepad?  I haven't been able to find a definite answer to this anywhere.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

No

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Gav47

No version supports  gamepads. Give the mouse and keyboard controls a shot, I actually prefer them to gamepad for Mass Effect 2.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dingofighter

I don't think it does, since the retail version doesn't and it seems unlikely they would enable it just for the Steam version, especially without releasing a patch for the other version.  
    I'm not 100% sure though.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Zenthere said:

" Does the PC (steam) version of ME2 support the gamepad?  I haven't been able to find a definite answer to this anywhere. "

No. As definite as it gets. You can get Pinnacle Gamer Profiler, Joy2Key or another similar program to use your gamepad in the game. The UI won't change, though. It's been optimized for PC controls, it's different from its console counterpart.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Officially, no, but there was a mod thing that unlocked the a lot of the 360's UI, but with many glitches like low sensitivity, partially invisible power wheel, problematic use of Left Stick in the Pause Menu, and you can't start a new game with a gamepad.

In other words, don't bother.

Zenthere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zenthere

Thanks for the quick responses all.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By spazmaster666

I've tried using both Pinnacle and Xpadder and while the game definitely playable, the mouse/keyboard controls are already superior to the gamepad controls on the 360 so it's kind of pointless for them to put in gamepad support.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @spazmaster666: That's an opinion.  I'd say Dragon Age is clearly more suited for mouse/keyboard and the game benefits greatly from it.  But Mass Effect was clearly designed as a console game and in my opinion works a lot better with the 360 pad.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By spazmaster666
    @WinterSnowblind
    @spazmaster666: That's an opinion.  I'd say Dragon Age is clearly more suited for mouse/keyboard and the game benefits greatly from it.  But Mass Effect was clearly designed as a console game and in my opinion works a lot better with the 360 pad.
    How exactly are the gamepad controls better? With mouse and keyboard you get more hotkeyable abilities, more precise controls, customizable keys, etc. Sure ME2 Isn't as well optimized for mouse and keyboard a something like DA:O but that doesn't mean they are therefore inferior to gamepad controls.
    Zenthere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zenthere
    @spazmaster666: 

The reason I would prefer the Gamepad is merely for the posture of play.  If I can sit on the couch and get comfortable while I play, that's a preferable experience to being hunched over at my desk. 
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Zenthere: I know exactly how you feel. I was somewhat disappointed that it isn't supported. :/
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bybeach

I'm actually wanting to go back to being hunched over my desk. But I have this chair I acquired from my Dad. He would definetly not do gaming, but that desk chair absolutly rocks. As does my  Diamond Pro Moniter. 

But the consoles are staying with the tv......

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.