Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Team Based shooter using ME2 mechanics?

alizeyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By alizeyk

I love the combat mechanics and skills in this game, and using them against the A.I. is all well and good, but I couldn't help but feel that it would also make a great team based shooter. Of course a lot of the powers would have to be rebalanced, but I think it could be a nice game. Thoughts?

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dtat
    @AliZeyk:
    Hmm I don't know. One of the hallmarks of the franchise is being able to pause the action and deliver commands. I'm not sure how well the combat holds up when you strip out that feature.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I thought the shooting in the first Mass Effect sucked, and that's why I stopped playing it. 

I didn't even touch this game because of how horrible the first Mass Effect was.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

I'd quite like to see a (original) Rainbow Six / ME 2 hybrid.  ie. set missions with a load-out / planning phase.  

My idea will never happen, but yours might.  It would be a pretty neat take on Gears multiplayer.

alizeyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By alizeyk
    @AlwaysAngry: 
    You should really do yourself a favour and check out ME2. The shooting has been vastly improved, to the point where it is now a shooter with RPG elements, and a dialouge tree.

@Dtat:
    The pausing mainly comes about because you have to control A.I. squadmates. If your sqaud was made up of real people however, you would not need to pause the action.

Mainly I just think the powers/guns/shields-armor combo would be fun in a multiplayer environment.
    willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By willin

I'd rather have a multiplayer political debate using the dialogue tree system.

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThePencil
    @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
    " I'd rather have a multiplayer political debate using the dialogue tree system. "
    An interesting idea, but it wouldnt work. Constantly interupted by people pulling RT for "You Talk to Much.." And no, I wouldnt like to see a multiplayer ME game. I hate other people.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrPockets000

I'm noticing a sudden invasion of emo hate on this topic...

thisisdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By thisisdell
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " I thought the shooting in the first Mass Effect sucked, and that's why I stopped playing it.   I didn't even touch this game because of how horrible the first Mass Effect was. "
    You are missing out on one of the greatest games ever pressed to a disc.
    smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By smcn

A shorter co-op game in the Mass Effect universe would be fantastic. BioWare's already working on multi-player dialog scenes with Star Wars: The Old Republic, so it could very well happen.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @thisisdell said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " I thought the shooting in the first Mass Effect sucked, and that's why I stopped playing it.   I didn't even touch this game because of how horrible the first Mass Effect was. "
    You are missing out on one of the greatest games ever pressed to a disc. "
    Everything about Mass Effect sucks. Even the "amazing" story. I stopped 3 hours in out of confusion of WHERE TO FUCKING GO TO DO A DAMN MISSION!!!!  WHY WON'T YOU TELL ME MASS EFFECT!? I landed on so many stupid side planets when all I wanted was a mission! After 3 hours of the confusion in just trying to find a damn mission, horrible frame-rate that gave me motion sickness (good job Mass Effect, only you an Kz2 ever did that to me...but I got used to Kz2) weapons that suck, and voice acting so horrible I just couldn't take anything being said seriously. Mass Effect is shit, and the only thing Mass Effect 2 could do is sprinkle glitter over the pile of shit. 

Right right, I know it's just my opinion, but it's just that, MY OPINION. I'm entitled to my opinion, so don't flame me and tell me I'm "wrong." And opinion is an opinion and you can't be wrong. You can't tell me I like chocolate ice cream better than vanilla, it's my personal opinion of what's good and bad.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By sixghost
    @AliZeyk said:
    " I love the combat mechanics and skills in this game, and using them against the A.I. is all well and good, but I couldn't help but feel that it would also make a great team based shooter. Of course a lot of the powers would have to be rebalanced, but I think it could be a nice game. Thoughts? "
    The powers would have to be completely reworked to make ME2 a good multiplayer game. If you were ever hit with a singularity or lift by a cpu biotic you know why.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sickVisionz
    @sixghost said:
    " @AliZeyk said:
    " I love the combat mechanics and skills in this game, and using them against the A.I. is all well and good, but I couldn't help but feel that it would also make a great team based shooter. Of course a lot of the powers would have to be rebalanced, but I think it could be a nice game. Thoughts? "
    The powers would have to be completely reworked to make ME2 a good multiplayer game. If you were ever hit with a singularity or lift by a cpu biotic you know why. "
    Co-op is also multiplayer. 

I think multiplayer in ME could work.  Dialog trees can be done just by having multiple people in on a conversation rather than it only be shephard and his team mates drop a one-liner every once in a while.  Bio-Ware is already doing this with The Old Republic. 

I rarely pause ME2 as it is.  With real people controlling my teammates I'd never need to pause to issue commands.  Switching from my last weapon almost completely eliminates me needing to pause to switch weapons.  If they implemented a [shift] key similar to how Dragon Age allows you to double your power mapping by holding down a trigger and I could map 4 powers to my face buttons, I'd never need to pause the game to choose a power.
    alizeyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By alizeyk
    @sickVisionz: 
     I was thinking more along the lines of a pure multiplayer arena battles. You wouldn't even need conversations in it.
    alizeyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By alizeyk
    @sixghost: 
    Yeah, the powers would definitely have to be reworked, but that's usually true of any multiplayer adjunct to a game. Doesn't mean it couldn't work.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoelTGM

The shooting gameplay isn't so good compared to other shooters.  I wouldn't play it if they made it multiplayer.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mazik765
    @AlwaysAngry:  Man I think there might have been another game on that disk...either that or you played it in a language you don't speak or something. I never once found myself even remotely lost in either of the mass effect games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.