The Reapers *spoilers*

#1 Posted by H4wkeye (53 posts) -

So, after finishing ME 2 and destroying the Human-Reaper, we see a massive fleet of Reapers activating and heading towards Milky Way. This made me think, who made the Reapers? I was thinking and don't really have a clue.

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Nobody knows.

#3 Posted by HistoryInRust (6338 posts) -
@H4wkeye said:
" So, after finishing ME 2 and destroying the Human-Reaper, we see a massive fleet of Reapers activating and heading towards Milky Way. This made me think, who made the Reapers? I was thinking and don't really have a clue. "
The Reapers claim to be eternal. That they have no maker and are the beginning of a causal chain.
#4 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

Something I'm still not sure on. Was Sovereign supposed to be a prothean reaper? 

#5 Posted by Cross (51 posts) -

It gets complicated significantly by the fact that they're bio-mechanical. Had they simply been robotic, they would have had to have a creator. I don't doubt for a second that this will be fleshed out in ME3, though. Seems we're going to be destroying a lot of the bastards...

#6 Edited by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -
@Green_Incarnate said:

" Something I'm still not sure on. Was Sovereign supposed to be a prothean reaper?  "

No, I remember at some point it was mentioned that it's possible that prothean reapers were attempted, but failed, so instead of harvesting them to make a new reaper, they converted them into their slaves (the collectors). 

That's why they like to wipe out all life in the galaxy. They give the tech to let populations thrive, then harvest them to make more reapers. 

Still that was WAAAY too many reapers at the end, the galaxy is so fucked.
#7 Posted by H4wkeye (53 posts) -
@Green_Incarnate said:
" Something I'm still not sure on. Was Sovereign supposed to be a prothean reaper?  "
That is a possibility. If you noticed, Sovereign is red in color, while Harbinger and the rest of the Reapers are black. Also, I guess ME 3 will tell something more about Reapers origins. They have exited for tens of millions of years, maybe they were created by someone beyond the galaxy?
#8 Posted by H4wkeye (53 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Green_Incarnate said:

No, I remember at some point it was mentioned that it's possible that prothean reapers were attempted, but failed, so instead of harvesting them to make a new reaper, they converted them into their slaves (the collectors).  That's why they like to wipe out all life in the galaxy. They give the tech to let populations thrive, then harvest them to make more reapers.  Still that was WAAAY too many reapers at the end, the galaxy is so fucked. "
Good thinking. I don't recall the part of failed reaper attempt but oh well :p. And it makes sense. By Mass Relays, the Reapers technically "make" races advance and go down along the track they predetermined. After they advance too much, they wipe all, collect the valuable stuff, and disappear.
#9 Edited by pause422 (6201 posts) -

They were not made. They are beyond your comprehension, you pathetic organic.(As soverign would say :P)

#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -
@H4wkeye: Well that failed thing was speculation by one of your squad members. So it might not be true, but I thought it might be Bioware throwing plot-analysts a bone.  

But yeah, tricky of them to let people spread before they harvest. We're being farmed! 

Sovereign looks like a Hanar to me, IMO. But that wouldn't make sense, so he was probably made from some other squid-race. 
#11 Posted by joetom (119 posts) -

They were probably a race that advanced to the point that they were able to make them selves into bio-mechanical creatures.  
They have to harvest intelligent beings to reproduce, and they choose the race as being the strongest or highest populated. 
Also I think they kind of look like the keepers, but only a little. Maybe the keepers are what the Reapers were before they became giant death ships.

#12 Posted by H4wkeye (53 posts) -

Btw, here's a nice wallpaper :D 

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1919/reapersa.jpg
#13 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

No one knows. They just say that are always there. Another thing they never explained was the Reaper's constant need to eradicate organic life.

#14 Posted by HistoryInRust (6338 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @H4wkeye: Well that failed thing was speculation by one of your squad members. So it might not be true, but I thought it might be Bioware throwing plot-analysts a bone.   But yeah, tricky of them to let people spread before they harvest. We're being farmed!  Sovereign looks like a Hanar to me, IMO. But that wouldn't make sense, so he was probably made from some other squid-race.  "
The real clever tactic is that, had Sovereign succeeded, the Reapers would have killed all the political leaders of all the respective races first, leaving the rest of the colonies, and the entire galactic population, in relative radio silence. There'd be no structure, no organization, and no warning. The hard part, for the Reapers, would be the first objective. And once that gets completed, literally nothing impedes their harvest.
#15 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Green_Incarnate said:

No, I remember at some point it was mentioned that it's possible that prothean reapers were attempted, but failed, so instead of harvesting them to make a new reaper, they converted them into their slaves (the collectors). 
If you squint your eyes though, Harbinger KINDA looks like a Prothean/Collector. I suspect that Sovereign was the product of some kind of squidish people, given how it looked and if the Reapers do have a habit of creating new reapers to resemble the race they draw their organic energy from (which, I got admit, is a tad silly.)
#16 Posted by H4wkeye (53 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" No one knows. They just say that are always there. Another thing they never explained was the Reaper's constant need to eradicate organic life. "
Yeah, true. Well, one thing just came on my mind. Maybe they are doing that, to prevent the other races from hyper advancing so much that they could come up to par the Reapers? Like they don't allow any race to to advance to the point where it can endanger them, but in order to cover their tracks, they have to wipe the whole galaxy basically.
#17 Posted by Sporkbane (185 posts) -
@TheKidNixon said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" @Green_Incarnate said:

If you squint your eyes though, Harbinger KINDA looks like a Prothean/Collector. I suspect that Sovereign was the product of some kind of squidish people, given how it looked and if the Reapers do have a habit of creating new reapers to resemble the race they draw their organic energy from (which, I got admit, is a tad silly.) "

If you look at the datapad-like thing that commander shepard is looking at during the final cinematic, you can see harbinger definitely has the same basic structure as the collector general

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/File:Harbinger.png

Anyone else notice that all the reapers looked a lot like squids? Is this galactic generation the only one in the entirety of reaper existence to have bipedal species?
#18 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@H4wkeye said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" No one knows. They just say that are always there. Another thing they never explained was the Reaper's constant need to eradicate organic life. "
Yeah, true. Well, one thing just came on my mind. Maybe they are doing that, to prevent the other races from hyper advancing so much that they could come up to par the Reapers? Like they don't allow any race to to advance to the point where it can endanger them, but in order to cover their tracks, they have to wipe the whole galaxy basically. "
That is actually a very good point. I didn't think of that. Personally though if they really wanted to they could just eradicate organic laugh completely to prevent any new uprising of new species, it's like they just want to kill them for sport but Bioware doesn't want to admit that their reason is so juvenile.
#19 Posted by H4wkeye (53 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" @H4wkeye said:
" @Afroman269 said:
Yeah, true. Well, one thing just came on my mind. Maybe they are doing that, to prevent the other races from hyper advancing so much that they could come up to par the Reapers? Like they don't allow any race to to advance to the point where it can endanger them, but in order to cover their tracks, they have to wipe the whole galaxy basically. "
That is actually a very good point. I didn't think of that. Personally though if they really wanted to they could just eradicate organic laugh completely to prevent any new uprising of new species, it's like they just want to kill them for sport but Bioware doesn't want to admit that their reason is so juvenile. "
Well, they probably do have a gain from it, who knows what it is. I guess ME 3 will tell why do they do it, maybe. :p
#20 Posted by Jeffsekai (7044 posts) -

I really hope ME3 talking about all of this, deffiantly the most interesting part about ME

#21 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -

For what it is worth, I saw the ending of Mass Effect 2 as the revelation of the purpose of why the reapers systematically wipe out all organic life: they need fuel. They may be eternal, but that doesn't mean they don't have to eat/fuel/whatever. So effectively they remain in deep space until there is enough fuel for the whole fleet (as we noted, there are a lot of them) and then begin the namesake reaping, occasionally creating new reapers suited to specific, promising organic lifeforms. In the process, they have to wipe out nearly all life other than a few untouched, barely budding civilizations (have to have something to build on) because if they left anyone alive, they'd certainly fight back. This is why the timing is so important: there has to be enough organic life to feed the entire fleet, but not so much that they put up a serious fight and jeopordize the entire fleet. If you're one or two generations, then the balance is all screwy.

Unfortunately for the reapers, Shepard through a wrench in things when he killed Sovereign, who was likely an early Scout to start the reaping. The reaction was to take out humans in general and Shepard in particular, seeing how they pose a unique threat. The Protheans similarly seemed to have put up a good fight, only to eventually succumb to extreme indoctrination and become the Collectors.

#22 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

SPACE......SQUIDS.....

#23 Posted by Metal_Mills (3012 posts) -

I bet they weren't made. They were a hyper advanced organic race than became machines them self, millions of years on they evolved into reapers.

#24 Posted by H4wkeye (53 posts) -

Found out something on the wikia:

If Shepard aided Chorban in collecting data on the keepers, he will send a message to Shepard detailing his findings. Chorban has discovered that the keepers are engineered and are designed to react to something like a signal which occurs every 50,000 years or so. This point after every 50,000 year gap is accompanied by minor genetic alterations, suggesting that the Reapers modify the keepers with each cycle of extinction.
#25 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@TheKidNixon said:
" For what it is worth, I saw the ending of Mass Effect 2 as the revelation of the purpose of why the reapers systematically wipe out all organic life: they need fuel. They may be eternal, but that doesn't mean they don't have to eat/fuel/whatever. So effectively they remain in deep space until there is enough fuel for the whole fleet (as we noted, there are a lot of them) and then begin the namesake reaping, occasionally creating new reapers suited to specific, promising organic lifeforms. In the process, they have to wipe out nearly all life other than a few untouched, barely budding civilizations (have to have something to build on) because if they left anyone alive, they'd certainly fight back. This is why the timing is so important: there has to be enough organic life to feed the entire fleet, but not so much that they put up a serious fight and jeopordize the entire fleet. If you're one or two generations, then the balance is all screwy.  Unfortunately for the reapers, Shepard through a wrench in things when he killed Sovereign, who was likely an early Scout to start the reaping. The reaction was to take out humans in general and Shepard in particular, seeing how they pose a unique threat. The Protheans similarly seemed to have put up a good fight, only to eventually succumb to extreme indoctrination and become the Collectors. "
I would think a race that advanced would use some kind of infinite source of energy like fusion or something.
#26 Posted by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

The question I was contemplating was whether the Reapers would want to absorb Geth.  Geth are not biological but they are sentient as Legion explains in great detail.  In fact they seem to be similar to reapers in that they have collective consciousness.  However the Geth are incorporated into ME3, it is sure to be interesting.

#27 Posted by HistoryInRust (6338 posts) -
@boj4ngles said:
" The question I was contemplating was whether the Reapers would want to absorb Geth.  Geth are not biological but they are sentient as Legion explains in great detail.  In fact they seem to be similar to reapers in that they have collective consciousness.  However the Geth are incorporated into ME3, it is sure to be interesting. "
I think you answered your own question. The inorganic life like the Geth are probably still going to see destruction at the Reaper Apocalypse, but they probably won't be consumed in the same way everything else will be.
#28 Posted by boj4ngles (287 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @boj4ngles said:
" The question I was contemplating was whether the Reapers would want to absorb Geth.  Geth are not biological but they are sentient as Legion explains in great detail.  In fact they seem to be similar to reapers in that they have collective consciousness.  However the Geth are incorporated into ME3, it is sure to be interesting. "
I think you answered your own question. The inorganic life like the Geth are probably still going to see destruction at the Reaper Apocalypse, but they probably won't be consumed in the same way everything else will be. "
Well you are assuming that Reapers are only concerned with accumulating biological life.  Legion explains that Geth are living, and they are sentient.  If you are buying the theory that Reapers only harvest because they need organic life as a "fuel" source, then your explanation makes sense.  However we don't know that this is their ultimate reason for harvesting.
#29 Posted by august (3854 posts) -
@TheKidNixon said:
" For what it is worth, I saw the ending of Mass Effect 2 as the revelation of the purpose of why the reapers systematically wipe out all organic life: they need fuel. They may be eternal, but that doesn't mean they don't have to eat/fuel/whatever. So effectively they remain in deep space until there is enough fuel for the whole fleet (as we noted, there are a lot of them) and then begin the namesake reaping, occasionally creating new reapers suited to specific, promising organic lifeforms. In the process, they have to wipe out nearly all life other than a few untouched, barely budding civilizations (have to have something to build on) because if they left anyone alive, they'd certainly fight back. This is why the timing is so important: there has to be enough organic life to feed the entire fleet, but not so much that they put up a serious fight and jeopordize the entire fleet. If you're one or two generations, then the balance is all screwy.  Unfortunately for the reapers, Shepard through a wrench in things when he killed Sovereign, who was likely an early Scout to start the reaping. The reaction was to take out humans in general and Shepard in particular, seeing how they pose a unique threat. The Protheans similarly seemed to have put up a good fight, only to eventually succumb to extreme indoctrination and become the Collectors. "

There's really nothing in the game that has anything to do with lesser species being fuel. When you meet the human-reaper, edi speculates that the reapers reproduce via the liquidation process, resulting in a reaper that resemble the species that make them up.

Add this to lines from Legion and Sovereign that imply the each reaper is a hive mind, probably made up of the individuals sacrificed to create it, and basically the reapers are a force that bestows a perverse immortality on the species it eradicates. "We are your salvation by means of destruction." as Harbinger says.
#30 Posted by HistoryInRust (6338 posts) -
@boj4ngles said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @boj4ngles said:
I think you answered your own question. The inorganic life like the Geth are probably still going to see destruction at the Reaper Apocalypse, but they probably won't be consumed in the same way everything else will be. "
Well you are assuming that Reapers are only concerned with accumulating biological life.  Legion explains that Geth are living, and they are sentient.  If you are buying the theory that Reapers only harvest because they need organic life as a "fuel" source, then your explanation makes sense.  However we don't know that this is their ultimate reason for harvesting. "
Ah, ah. I see. I thought it'd been said they only harvest organics. My bad.
#31 Posted by august (3854 posts) -

Really you dudes should check out the Reaper page on the Mass Effect wiki. Some of it's speculation but it's based on some pretty clear forshadowing that some of you have totally missed.

#32 Posted by GeneralMojo_786 (219 posts) -

I thought you were talking about the reapers from InfAmouS lol.......... :(

#33 Edited by xyzygy (10032 posts) -

Are all the Reapers different looking? It looked to me like the Collector's were only creating one Human reaper, and even then it would need millions and millions of human genetic paste to create. Sovereign, or Nazara, looked different than Harbinger so does that mean that what Sovereign looked like, his squid like form - was there possibly a civilization of those creatures which were made into paste and pumped into Sovereign? It's kind of sick to make them look like their victims, kinda like a final monument... man they are messed up. 

@boj4ngles said: 

I think that Legion's personal mission outcome will effect this entirely - you are basically either choosing to reprogram the Heretic Geth away from the Reapers, or destroying them outright. That's a huge variable for one game though - the choice impacts in ME3 are going to have to be huge to make that work.     
#34 Edited by BinaryDragon (638 posts) -

Personally I think that all reapers pretty much look the same, underneath the armour is where they look different. Which, then, makes a lot more sense since the reaper fleet look the pretty much similar across the board.

#35 Posted by immike (714 posts) -

Don't know but seriously excited for ME3. Hope I don't have to wait too long.

#36 Posted by jonny_eh (58 posts) -
@H4wkeye said: 

" Found out something on the wikia: 

If Shepard aided Chorban in collecting data on the keepers, he will send a message to Shepard detailing his findings. Chorban has discovered that the keepers are engineered and are designed to react to something like a signal which occurs every 50,000 years or so. This point after every 50,000 year gap is accompanied by minor genetic alterations, suggesting that the Reapers modify the keepers with each cycle of extinction.
"
That's nothing we didn't already know though. That's exactly what happened at the end of ME1    
#37 Posted by Cirdain (3100 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @boj4ngles said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @boj4ngles said:
Well you are assuming that Reapers are only concerned with accumulating biological life.  Legion explains that Geth are living, and they are sentient.  If you are buying the theory that Reapers only harvest because they need organic life as a "fuel" source, then your explanation makes sense.  However we don't know that this is their ultimate reason for harvesting. "
Ah, ah. I see. I thought it'd been said they only harvest organics. My bad. "
Read the reaper codex joker gives you after you finish the suicide mission
#38 Posted by Jost1 (2078 posts) -

Man the whole liquifying by nanobots business is the stuff of nightmares. Fucking horrible.

#39 Posted by Nigel_sharma (3 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
 Personally though if they really wanted to they could just eradicate organic laugh completely to prevent any new uprising of new species, it's like they just want to kill them for sport but Bioware doesn't want to admit that their reason is so juvenile. "
It's unrealistic to expect the Reapers to do that. There's like hundred of thousands of planets with life in Mass Effect, probably millions with primitive lives.
And I think that ME2 show one of the main reason : to reproduce they need huge amount of organic life. The second reason is probably because they lost the ability to "create" new things, thus the Collectors so they rely on organic life once in a while to get their new toys.
#40 Posted by sukru (25 posts) -

The reapers are giant ships. If you remember they have corridors and stuff. They even have life support.

That means they need a crew to run the internal operations. That might be the reason they cull organics and indoctrinate them into servitude.

#41 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

I had a moment of ambiguity at the end when the top Collector gave up control. It implied that *he* was actually being controlled by someone else, presumably the "real" Harbinger. Now, could it be that Harbinger is simply a creature longing for immortality, and this whole thing is just a way for him to maintain existence? He just passes his consciousness to another race, as the original race dies? Then Harbinger could be the sole remaining consciousness of the first organic civilization that created AI. But now I'm going way far afield. It's interesting, though, where they could go with it. But the question of artificial intelligence, free will, etc., is all very central in this story.

I have to admit, I wasn't terribly surprised by the fact that the Collectors were the Protheans (or, a deformed version of the Protheans), but the implications of it all have kept me thinking.

#42 Posted by StarvingGamer (8380 posts) -
@haggis said:
" I had a moment of ambiguity at the end when the top Collector gave up control. It implied that *he* was actually being controlled by someone else, presumably the "real" Harbinger. Now, could it be that Harbinger is simply a creature longing for immortality, and this whole thing is just a way for him to maintain existence? He just passes his consciousness to another race, as the original race dies? Then Harbinger could be the sole remaining consciousness of the first organic civilization that created AI. But now I'm going way far afield. It's interesting, though, where they could go with it. But the question of artificial intelligence, free will, etc., is all very central in this story.  I have to admit, I wasn't terribly surprised by the fact that the Collectors were the Protheans (or, a deformed version of the Protheans), but the implications of it all have kept me thinking. "
Harbinger is a Reaper, choosing to possess certain Collectors much in the same way Sovereign possessed Saren in the final battle of ME1.  I'm guessing that Harbinger was the Reaper responsible for indoctrinating those Protheans allowing him to assert his direct control over them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.