Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

This what will carry over from you Mass Effect save file.

• 104 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

MAJOR MASS EFFECT 1 GAME SPOILERS.  

If you haven't played the first Mass Effect then don't read this thread. Leave now and go play the damn game. 

While prowling the Mass Effect Wiki I can across some info on Mass Effect 2. While all the usual data that you can find on other web sites on this game I noticed some more in depth info on the Load Save File  from the first Mass Effect will be handled. So here is what will carry over to Mass Effect 2 when you load up an old save file from Mass Effect.  

All this data so far is confirmed according to the mass Effect wiki project.  

Due to massive gameplay redesign, your level will not transfer over to Mass Effect 2 and you will start out with basic abilities. However, the game will acknowledge if you were a level 60 character and if you were a Renegade or Paragon and adapt it in ways that map across to the new system. Also, the physical appearance and class of imported characters can be changed at the start of the game, if desired.

If a player has no Mass Effect save files, Mass Effect 2 will start with an introduction sequence which, in combination with interactive decisions made by the player, introduces new players to the storyline and establishes a “canon” backstory.

Note to mods. I  have done a search and it didn't come up with threads that gave this much in depth look into it. In case I missed it please lock.  

I know, I know. I forgot an 'R' in the thread title. Sue me...LOL.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By bacongames

Good, despite playing it half a year ago, all those are still fresh in my mind and I'm pleased with my decisions.

Thanks for the heads up!  Also, I personally would point out a spoiler warning as this thread is only useful to those who've finished the game already.  It's just a preference thing.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordukai
    @Tuffgong:  
    Shit, I forgot about that too, the spoiler thing that is. but you know what? If you haven't played the first game yet and is reading this thread then I think something is wrong with your decision making process, LOL. Besides I don't think the title had enough room for a spoiler warning.  Lets see if I can fix it...
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By NoXious

So choosing no love interest would be handled too I assume?
    I'd better get started on the perfect playthrough, I made paragon/renegade playthroughs but there are some choices I would want to make.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By General_D23

A Dev in the ME2 forums hinted that the Rachni decision might not come back into play until ME3. To be honest, I fully expect at least one major plot thread and several side quest threads to not be resolved until then. 

Does anyone have that Gamepro mag that's sourced as the Bahtia decision? Supposedly the Jan 2010 issue.    
    AverageJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By AverageJoe

Where is this information from, if I may ask?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

What I'm curious to know about is how it will handle what I've done across multiple playthroughs in a single character's career. Will it let me select one of them or will it default to the most recent playthrough done with that character?

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By General_D23
    @Chaser324:
    Each time you complete a playthrough, it makes a save. Any one of those playthroughs/saves can be used, even if it's the same character.
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Ah cool I was wondering what would carry over.  A couple of small little elements in there are interesting too.  Thanks for the post.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By Jeust

Thanks for the info!

I'd like it better if i had wrex in my party in mass effect 2, instead of a default grunt.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mordukai
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By GunstarRed

I hope if you neglected conrad he will become some kind of space stalker...that'd be awesome.
    wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By wwfundertaker

What happens if you dont have a save file.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wwfundertaker said:
    " What happens if you dont have a save file. "

It says right there:

@Mordukai said:

If a player has no Mass Effect save files, Mass Effect 2 will start with an introduction sequence which, in combination with interactive decisions made by the player, introduces new players to the storyline and establishes a “canon” backstory.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @General_D23: That's good to know because there's only one playthrough where I feel like I did everything exactly the way I want it to carry over.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
    @wwfundertaker:  
    Read the last paragraph on the quote in my OP. It pretty much answers your question. 
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Afroman269

Wow this may keep me from selling Mass Effect 1 so I can make new save files with different turn outs for Mass Effect 2.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @wwfundertaker said:
    The original post explains that. 

Anyhow, I am most curious as to what it means by "acknowledges" people who made it to level 60.
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By essaregee

I don't get the last one - the one with the experiments. Who would even care lol.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aeterna

Good to know. 

*is thankful he has his save game backed up on a hardisk and on his e-mail* 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " @wwfundertaker said:
    The original post explains that.  Anyhow, I am most curious as to what it means by "acknowledges" people who made it to level 60. "
    I was wondering about that too. Maybe they will give you extra points or start you off on a higher level then usual. So far Bioware has been pretty silent about that feature. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By CL60

I wonder what they will do with him. I put my gun in his face and he said I'm not his hero anymore.
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@essaregee said:

" I don't get the last one - the one with the experiments. Who would even care lol. "

1) Her husband.  If you allow the experiments he is not pleased and this is never resolved.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him come after you.

2) If I remember correctly wasn't the experiment about some sort of biological attack or something?  The experiments on her body could lead to a cure that saves more lives in the future perhaps.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo

The 'No Save' thing sounds kinda like how KOTOR 2 worked, where iirc you have an (admittedly stupid) conversation with somebody early on:

"So uhh... that Wrex, huh?"

>Yes, that Wrex indeed.  He sure got what he had coming!
    >Yes!  Remember that time when you thought I was going to kill him?!  We laugh about it now of course. 

I kinda hope it does play out like that so I don't have to repeat my 'proper' playthrough just to get a PC save of it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60
    @Jimbo said:
    " The 'No Save' thing sounds kinda like how KOTOR 2 worked, where iirc you have an (admittedly stupid) conversation with somebody early on:

"So uhh... that Wrex, huh?"  >Yes, that Wrex indeed.  He sure got what he had coming! >Yes!  Remember that time when you thought I was going to kill him?!  We laugh about it now of course.   I kinda hope it does play out like that so I don't have to repeat my 'proper' playthrough just to get a PC save of it. "
    It doesn't they said that there will be a default one for people with no saves.
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:

" @Jimbo said:

" The 'No Save' thing sounds kinda like how KOTOR 2 worked, where iirc you have an (admittedly stupid) conversation with somebody early on:

"So uhh... that Wrex, huh?"  >Yes, that Wrex indeed.  He sure got what he had coming! >Yes!  Remember that time when you thought I was going to kill him?!  We laugh about it now of course.   I kinda hope it does play out like that so I don't have to repeat my 'proper' playthrough just to get a PC save of it. "
    It doesn't they said that there will be a default one for people with no saves. "
    No he's right, it says:

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo
    @CL60 said:

" @Jimbo said:

It doesn't they said that there will be a default one for people with no saves. "
    That's what I thought too but "If a player has no Mass Effect save files, Mass Effect 2 will start with an introduction sequence which, in combination with interactive decisions made by the player, introduces new players to the storyline and establishes a “canon” backstory." suggests differently.  Not exactly a solid source though so you're probably right.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60
    @Jimbo said:
    " @CL60 said:

" @Jimbo said:

That's what I thought too but "If a player has no Mass Effect save files, Mass Effect 2 will start with an introduction sequence which, in combination with interactive decisions made by the player, introduces new players to the storyline and establishes a “canon” backstory." suggests differently.  Not exactly a solid source though so you're probably right. "

@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Jimbo said:

No he's right, it says:

If a player has no Mass Effect save files, Mass Effect 2 will start with an introduction sequence which, in combination with interactive decisions made by the player, introduces new players to the storyline and establishes a “canon” backstory. "
    Brads 90 minutes with the game he says.

"My short time with the game shed a little bit of light on how the save-importing feature will work, though I wasn't provided with a sample save to try importing myself. That at least made it clear what the game's default history will be, if you don't import a save. It assumes that you allowed the Citadel high council to die at the end of the first game, for instance, allowing humans to take control of the highest positions of government. It also says that you allowed Kaidan Alenko to die, sparing that space bigot Ashley Williams for the sequel."
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:

" @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Jimbo said:

No he's right, it says:

If a player has no Mass Effect save files, Mass Effect 2 will start with an introduction sequence which, in combination with interactive decisions made by the player, introduces new players to the storyline and establishes a “canon” backstory. "
    Brads 90 minutes with the game he says.

"My short time with the game shed a little bit of light on how the save-importing feature will work, though I wasn't provided with a sample save to try importing myself. That at least made it clear what the game's default history will be, if you don't import a save. It assumes that you allowed the Citadel high council to die at the end of the first game, for instance, allowing humans to take control of the highest positions of government. It also says that you allowed Kaidan Alenko to die, sparing that space bigot Ashley Williams for the sequel." "
    Brad didn't actually import a save and neither did the Bioware guys, so perhaps they just set up this to be the backstory for the demo?  They had to have something right?  And keeping in the sequence where you choose how things went down wouldn't really be good for a demo.

So I guess this is kind of up in the air but I don't think Brad's preview proves anything for sure.  I don't see why they would have all these possible ways for the game to shake out and then not let you see them if you didn't play the first game.  It's certainly possible but I don't get why Bioware would do that exactly.  An evolved version of the KotoR 2 method Jimbo mentioned really makes sense.  

Maybe this is cleared up for sure somplace?  I'm interested to see a definitive answer.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mordukai
    @CL60:  
    LOL. Space bigot. Funny. 
    LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By LaszloKovacs

I was just wondering about this earlier today, thanks for posting it.

... Kind of makes me want to get a 5th playthrough in before ME2 comes out.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    " @essaregee said:

" I don't get the last one - the one with the experiments. Who would even care lol. "

1) Her husband.  If you allow the experiments he is not pleased and this is never resolved.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him come after you. 2) If I remember correctly wasn't the experiment about some sort of biological attack or something?  The experiments on her body could lead to a cure that saves more lives in the future perhaps. "

Wrong. You could allow the experiments and if persuaded, he would eventually come to terms with her death and the loss of her body, thanking the player.
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ghostiet said:

" @essaregee said:

1) Her husband.  If you allow the experiments he is not pleased and this is never resolved.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him come after you. 2) If I remember correctly wasn't the experiment about some sort of biological attack or something?  The experiments on her body could lead to a cure that saves more lives in the future perhaps. "
    Wrong. You could allow the experiments and if persuaded, he would eventually come to terms with her death and the loss of her body, thanking the player. "
    The key is IF PERSUADED, isn't it?  You don't have to persuade him of anything do you?  I know I didn't on one playthrough but I guess I was "wrong".  It's an easy argument when someone proves you right in their counter argument.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CL60
    @Ghostiet said:
    " @essaregee said:

Wrong. You could allow the experiments and if persuaded, he would eventually come to terms with her death and the loss of her body, thanking the player. "
    Keyword, Persuaded...
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35  Edited By natetodamax

I'm angry that if you start a new save, the game chooses Kaidan over Ashley. I hate that girl so much.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By General_D23

From what I've read everywhere, the common belief is that the opposite gender survives. New male Shepards have Ashley surviving, and new female Shepards have Kaiden surviving. Did Brad mention what gender he played as?
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By bacongames
    @Mordukai: Who would keep that bitch alive?
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" @Ghostiet said:
    " @essaregee said:
    " I don't get the last one - the one with the experiments. Who would even care lol. "1) Her husband.  If you allow the experiments he is not pleased and this is never resolved.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him come after you. 2) If I remember correctly wasn't the experiment about some sort of biological attack or something?  The experiments on her body could lead to a cure that saves more lives in the future perhaps. "Wrong. You could allow the experiments and if persuaded, he would eventually come to terms with her death and the loss of her body, thanking the player. "The key is IF PERSUADED, isn't it?  You don't have to persuade him of anything do you?  I know I didn't on one playthrough but I guess I was "wrong".  It's an easy argument when someone proves you right in their counter argument. "

I only considered the use of the words "he is not pleased and this is never resolved" not too good when there are three posibilities in a quest instead of two. Because there are, so there is no reason to act like I called you a big fat liar. But I guess correcting someone with a completely neutral intent counts as hostility and asshattery. Obviously.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Kazona

The only difference between my first and second playthrough was that I got with the Alien chick in the first one, and Ashley in the second one. Unfortunately I no longer have the first save file, and I think I might regret choosing Ashley now. 

Ah well, maybe I'll play it again sometime. Maybe.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zombie2011

Wow there are some decisions in there that i thought would have no affect on the sequel. After i'm done with Dragon Age i'm gonna start a new file and make sure i hit all these plot points.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheKidNixon
    @natetodamax said:
    " I'm angry that if you start a new save, the game chooses Kaidan over Ashley. I hate that girl so much. "
    As has been stated elsewhere, Ashley is only the one spared if you play the default male Shepard. If you're the female Shepard, then you saved Kaidan instead. Plus, you get to listen to Jennifer Hale's wonderful voice work as an added bonus.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By Geno

Wow that last one (Nirali's body) I didn't think would be that significant. It will be interesting to see what consequences that will lead to (like if the military uses the information from her body to make some sort of superweapon, that would be ridiculous). 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CL60

What the fuck, I posted this information on GameFaqs in my own topic stating "Things that carry over from the first game save" and I got modded for spoilers >.<

Solarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By Solarus

Well looks like I'm going to need to play through the game again if they count whether you're level 60 or not (I assume it'll give you some kind of badge of honor or prize at the start of ME2). I did my paragon run on my first play-through, renegade on my 2nd, and hit level 60 on Insanity on my 3rd. On my 3rd play-through though, I skipped a ton of quests and can't remember what decisions I made, so if I can't just take my original run and maintain level 60 status, I may as well do another full play-through. Oh well, it'll prepare me for ME2 anyway I guess.

Giuseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Giuseppe

Ah shit..... I knew letting that dude have Nirahli body was going to bite me back in the ass....
    Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hyuzen

so on my save shepard got all close with liara but at the last minute i totally shut her down before the last mission. do you think that ME2 will do anything special with it or just assume that shepard never had sex?

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jmrwacko

The Conrad Verner decision seems a little arbitrary compared to some of the other choices in the game, lol. Also, screw Ashley, I'm saving Kaiden this time around. He's a much more interesting character. 

Also, the default file is perfect for when I choose to do a renegade runthrough, since my only save file from ME1 will be paragon.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Tuffgong said:
    " @Mordukai: Who would keep that bitch alive? "

You know, there's something to be said about having sex with your own species.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Wow, I can't belive every decision will affect the next game, I only thought it was rex, who you save, kaidan or ashley or the council.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bubahula

will it acknowledge if you were a high level but not quite 60?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.