Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Those Likely Not to Return (Some Spoilers)

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HubrisRanger

While looking over TV Tropes amazing page on Mass Effect 2 characters, I noticed a bit of a pattern for a lot of the characters. There are some pretty convenient back doors to explain why several won't be playable characters in Mass Effect 3. Here's just a short list of some of the people you might be missing whenever Shepard finishes his fight with the Reapers. 

Mordin Solus: Perhaps the most heartbreaking of the bunch, but he's also implied to be 38, which is really old for Salarians. Average life span is 40 years old, and those final years are very difficult ones. If any amount of time were to pass between ME2 and ME3, he would likely not be in fighting shape. Furthermore, he is by far the hardest character to get through the Suicide Mission portion alive, possibly one way that BioWare tried to soften the blow of him not showing up again later. Unfortunately, they clearly fucked up by making the fragile character possibly the best character in the entire game. 

Samara: Also very old, even by Asari standards. She also has dedicated herself to the cause of the Justicars, and would likely be hard pressed to leave that life behind. She does tell a Paragon Shepard that she will always be a friend and will support him/her when possible, but that doesn't sound like a request to remain a Normandy member. Conversely, Samara will tell a Renegade Shepard that when this mission is over, if they ever cross again she won't hestitate to kill her/him. Add the fact that she can be betrayed for her psychotic sex-vampire daughter, and you have on possibility out of three that makes her a viable return character. This makes it fairly likely she'll appear as a cameo, if at all, in the next game. 

Morinth: As a fairly deeply hidden character that requires some focused Renegade play, doubt that the game scientists at BioWare would find it worthwhile to include substantial material for her in the game. Besides, even by the Normandy's rather...colorful crew, Morinth is a serial killing sociopath. I doubt she really even has much interest in saving the world. Once it became clear she ain't getting no Shep-love, I doubt it would be an issue. Almost definitely not coming back. 

Thane: Of those likely not to return, Thane is the most likely to return simply for being a love interest, and BioWare seeming very keen on that being very Important for the overall narrative thrust of the story. Still, he is dying of a disease of which there is no known cure, and has personally come to terms with his death, especially after reconciling with his son. The Lair of the Shadow Broker information suggests that some form of treatment is nearing usability though, and I know that BioWare at least is very fond of the character. So...really, probably doesn't belong on this list, but I'd be unsurprised to see it go either way. 

Zaeed Messani/Kasumi Goto: As DLC characters, it is unlikely that they would be graduated up to being main game content. The PS3 re-release with the content baked in might make this more likely, but I'd not place any money on them returning. Which is a shame, at lease for Kasumi. I like her quite a bit, mostly because she's not as opressively grim as most of the members of the Normandy tend to be at times. 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Zaeed's a bad ass, I will miss him dearly if he doesn't show up.
    Samara, Morinth and Thane never interested me much, but by logical standards we won't see them back.

I hope Mordin at least accompanies us in the first bit of the game, he's the best character to combine with the genophage cure story and it would be a great moment to hold a funeral or something like it for him.
    I just hope we get to keep Grunt and Jack, altho Jack would be a long stretch but who knows, maybe she found some good in her torn heart and decides to help Shepard.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

If they are going to limit the cast of your squad then because this is the final game they need to be involved in the story somehow, they really pissed off those who romanced with ashley and kaiden and with the possibilities of who lives and dies, they can't half ass it like in 2. and have a 3 minute conversation and have it as that

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

Out of those Mordin and Thane better reappear.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Skald

I'll also miss Zaeed and Mordin. And though I liked Thane, his story necessitates his death.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I would bet my life on Thane reappearing in Mass Effect 3. He was a huge figurehead for the sequel's marketing thrust, and became a sort of "Garrus-ian" badass without, you know, being Garrus

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By HubrisRanger
    @Dany Actually, there was a very good reason every character who was a playable character in 1 isn't one in 2. Any character that was a possible love interest in 1, needs to be alive for the third game. Because of the structure of the Suicide Mission, BioWare didn't want to risk the potential issue of having them die, so Liara, Kaiden and Ashley couldn't be playable. Wrex, meanwhile, could possibly be dusted in Mass Effect 1, so him being a playable character in 2 would have created a full recruitment and loyalty mission that an unknown percentage of players would have never seen. That said, that makes his appearance in ME3 rather dubious as well.  It should also be noted that in love interests from ME2 no such safety net, seeing how any of them can possibly not make it out alive of the suicide mission.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

I could totally see a Thane suicide scene in which he gives the last of his life to save Shepard and the crew. He'll most definitely reappear, although I doubt he'll be a party member. 
    Mordin will probably also have a cameo, but he probably won't play a major role, unless to invent some sort of defense against the reapers. 
    As for the rest, yeah, they probably won't appear, which I would be totally fine with. As long as I can role with Garrus, I'm good. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dany
    @HubrisRanger said:
    " @Dany Actually, there was a very good reason every character who was a playable character in 1 isn't one in 2. Any character that was a possible love interest in 1, needs to be alive for the third game. Because of the structure of the Suicide Mission, BioWare didn't want to risk the potential issue of having them die, so Liara, Kaiden and Ashley couldn't be playable. Wrex, meanwhile, could possibly be dusted in Mass Effect 1, so him being a playable character in 2 would have created a full recruitment and loyalty mission that an unknown percentage of players would have never seen. That said, that makes his appearance in ME3 rather dubious as well.  It should also be noted that in love interests from ME2 no such safety net, seeing how any of them can possibly not make it out alive of the suicide mission. "
    I understand everything behind what they did but I felt it was poor way to handle it.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By benpack

Man I want Thane to come back so bad.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust
    @Dany said:

" @HubrisRanger said:

" @Dany Actually, there was a very good reason every character who was a playable character in 1 isn't one in 2. Any character that was a possible love interest in 1, needs to be alive for the third game. Because of the structure of the Suicide Mission, BioWare didn't want to risk the potential issue of having them die, so Liara, Kaiden and Ashley couldn't be playable. Wrex, meanwhile, could possibly be dusted in Mass Effect 1, so him being a playable character in 2 would have created a full recruitment and loyalty mission that an unknown percentage of players would have never seen. That said, that makes his appearance in ME3 rather dubious as well.  It should also be noted that in love interests from ME2 no such safety net, seeing how any of them can possibly not make it out alive of the suicide mission. "

I understand everything behind what they did but I felt it was poor way to handle it. "
    I hope the Bioware staff played Alpha Protocol and learned a bit from the organic structure of the relationships within the game.  

Of the characters portrayed here I have no love for Samara, Thane, Zaeed and Kasumi. I'd love to see Morith or Mordin back though. Also Grunt can hit the curve, as I prefer Wrex.
    bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By bulletstorm

Zaeed and Kasumi are under Cerberus Contracts - and I think its made pretty clear that they were hired just for the collector problem - but still, I have a hard time believing in any good reason for the characters to stop fighting for the cause.  

Samara seems to lack a good motive as well, she did swear an oath to Shepard - although I don't think it was clear when Shepard's "mission" would be complete, still, I wouldn't be too upset about this loss.  

Honestly though, I'm more beat up about losing ME2 characters than Kaidan or Ashley, that might be unfair to them - but the way they were written in ME2 just makes me so god damn frustrated - and each seem kinda limited in actual usefulness - Kaidan is almost a clone of Miranda/Jacob - Ashley is pure combat - which Zaeed and Grunt have covered.  d 

carminescarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By carminescarf
    @extremeradical: 
    Part of me kinda agrees with you about having Thane die. It would be sad for such a great squadmate to go but it would make for a great ending to his character.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.