Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Was The Collectors' Surprise Motive Spoiled for You?

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Vaile

Hey everyone, this has been bugging me for, well, 364 days now, and I just thought I'd get around to asking others about it now. 

To be clear, I'm referring to the  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content. 

When I picked up the Collector's Edition, the first thing I did was install the game onto my hard drive. While I was waiting, I decided to take a look at the included art book. 
     BAM. There it was, staring at me with its cold, spoiler-filled eyes. I swear, I could have cried. 

But I learned my lesson. What about you guys, did this happen to you? Or, unlike me, was this not the first Collector's Edition you decided to buy, and you already knew not to look inside? 

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SSully
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Vaile: 
    Could you fix the spoiler bracket? It doesn't work for some reason.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust

Instead of being pissed, you should ask why were the Collectors doing it? 

And see where the game leads to. ^^ 

Spoilers are everywhere. Accept them, and roll with it.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @SSully said:
    " You're spoiler tag doesn't work, but if i assume you are talking about the 

Then no, it wasn't ruined for me. 
    "
    Yeah, this. Though I was disappointed by it.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By General_D23

No. As far as the art book goes, I've learned from past experience that there are usually spoilering concept art and the like in them, so I waited until after to look at it.

I will say that I liked the concept art better then the final design, though.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vaile
    @imsh_pl said:
    " @Vaile:  Could you fix the spoiler bracket? It doesn't work for some reason. "
    Sorry, I wasn't sure if it was a problem with my browser or my post. SSully had it right. 

@Jeust said:
    " Instead of being pissed, you should ask why were the Collectors doing it?  And see where the game leads to. ^^  Spoilers are everywhere. Accept them, and roll with it. "
    I usually try to avoid reading critical info about a game until it's intended to be revealed. I feel like, because there wasn't any mention of it before, that I missed out on what should have been a big revelation for the player.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By Jeust
    @Vaile said:
    " @imsh_pl said:
    " @Vaile:  Could you fix the spoiler bracket? It doesn't work for some reason. "
    Sorry, I wasn't sure if it was a problem with my browser or my post. SSully had it right. 

@Jeust said:
    " Instead of being pissed, you should ask why were the Collectors doing it?  And see where the game leads to. ^^  Spoilers are everywhere. Accept them, and roll with it. "
    I usually try to avoid reading critical info about a game until it's intended to be revealed. I feel like, because there wasn't any mention of it before, that I missed out on what should have been a big revelation for the player. "
    In my playthrough that revelation came off as a bit of cliché. Looked more I was fighting a huge terminator. ^^ 

There a much sweeter and subtle earlier on. 
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    Nope it didn't get spoiled because I know better than to open CE art books before I've finished the game. Seriously... You expect them to not include awesome art of everything in the game out of the risk that someone getting subjected to spoilers?
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I make sure not to look at art books or similar Collector's/Limited Edition content until I've beaten the game. It sucks that it was spoiled for you, but now you'll know not to look through an art book again before beating a game, so at least you sort of gained something from the experience. :P

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryno9881

That sucks man.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, it didn't get spoiled for me but I still rolled my eyes at the sight of that lame terminator thing. Such an amazing game, but such a weak-ass final boss. 

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vaile
    @PhatSeeJay said:

"Seriously... You expect them to not include awesome art of everything in the game out of the risk that someone getting subjected to spoilers? "

I did, and believe me, looking back I realize the logic-gap.  

@Vito_Raliffe
    said:

"at least you sort of gained something from the experience. :P "

Yep, at least there's a bright side.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By StarvingGamer

First rule of collector's editions: never flip through the art book before you finish the game.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ocean_H
    @Vaile said:

" Hey everyone, this has been bugging me for, well, 364 days now, and I just thought I'd get around to asking others about it now. 

To be clear, I'm referring to the  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content. 

When I picked up the Collector's Edition, the first thing I did was install the game onto my hard drive. While I was waiting, I decided to take a look at the included art book. 
     BAM. There it was, staring at me with its cold, spoiler-filled eyes. I swear, I could have cried. 

But I learned my lesson. What about you guys, did this happen to you? Or, unlike me, was this not the first Collector's Edition you decided to buy, and you already knew not to look inside? 

"

I don't understand people who doesn't want to get story spoiled and go through forums and information about a game. I mean, if you don't want spoilers, just don't check anything related to the game. Period. It's like: I hope there no peanut butter in my Reese. *Checks the ingredients list on the packaging*. NOOOOOOOO!

I mean, you're doing the opposite of what you shouldn't do. You don't want spoilers but you looked inside? Where's the logic in that?
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaile
    @Ocean_H said:
     You don't want spoilers but you looked inside? Where's the logic in that? "  
    It was a silly decision. But like I said, I've already realized that.
    spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By spctre
    @S0ndor said:

" Well, it didn't get spoiled for me but I still rolled my eyes at the sight of that lame terminator thing. Such an amazing game, but such a weak-ass final boss.  "

What I liked about the world-building BioWare pulled off in the first game was the fact that humanity wasn't special, but part of a larger galactic political landscape if you will. (Unlike, say, Star Trek, where everything and everyone is obsessed with humanity.)

The reapers implicitly declaring humanity to be the pinnacle of organic evolution of the current 50.000-year cycle kinda flew in the face of everything I liked about the universe they built in ME1.
    willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By willin

Thought it was really stupid, so I guess so?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

It was one of those rare occasions when I got nothing spoiled for me, thankfully. Sucks to hear about your situation though.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bouke
    @Vaile: i also bought the Collectors Edition and i did the same thing; but when i was looking through the artbook and saw a collector; i figured i might run into a spoiler so i stopped looking through the artbook until after i finished the game. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.