Who did you roll with most of the time?

• 70 results
#1 Edited by Sackmanjones (4703 posts) -

Due to getting very excited for Mass Effect 3 I've been replaying Mass Effect 2 and hey guess what? It's still awesome. But I have been doing a lot more experimentation with my squad mates during this playthrough but my first run i stuck with the same people as much as possible. Just curious who everyone stuck with and if they may stick with em again in 3?

(please don't spoil any new squadmates in 3 if possible besides the known few =D)

For me though I always rolled with Garrus and Miranda. I loved Garrus in the first me and was incredibly happy to see him again. As far as Miranda, I liked her overload ability and she was my squeeze of course (perfect in every way eh?) anyway what about you guys?  I plan on sticking with Garrus again in Mass Effect 3 unless some of the new members catch my eye. 

As requested, a list of characters 
Garrus 
Grunt 
Jack 
Jacob 
Kasumi 
Legion 
Miranda 
Mordin 
Samara 
Tali 
Thane 
Zaeed

#2 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

It's been awhile, but I think it was Tali and Garrus for the most part.

#3 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Miranda/Grunt pretty much the entire game. ME1 I tolled with Ashley/Garrus.

#4 Posted by N7 (3588 posts) -

Garrus for a majority of it, followed by Mordin and then Legion for what little I had him.

#5 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

My ME1 duders, Tali and Garrus.

#6 Posted by Pazy (2580 posts) -

For most of the game I think I used Tali, I dont think she is great in combat but she is my favourite character, and then Garrus since I used him in ME1. Near the end of the game I swapped in Tali and Legion hoping they might work out their differences.

#7 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Tali and Garrus

#8 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Grunt 4 lief.

Garrus or Tali, and then Legion at the end, on the side.

#9 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

man I was hoping for a list I can't remember.

I think it was Garrus and... Jacob? I donno

#10 Edited by spazmaster666 (1967 posts) -

In my first playthrought, I stuck with Miranda/Grunt. In subsequent playthroughs, I ended up going with with Garrus/Grunt. The reason I use Grunt is pretty obvious: he's basically a tank. The reason why I would choose Garrus over Miranda when is because Miranda can't use the more powerful weapons in the game, and is lacking when it comes to health. Not to mention Garrus will eventually get armor-piercing ammo, meaning he can be effective against any type of protection (i.e. whether it's shields/barriers/armor).

#11 Posted by tsiro (214 posts) -

I've been playing through it again myself, and find that I'm rolling with Garrus and Miranda for the most part, but sometimes switching one (or both of them) out for Mordin and/or Samara. I've been doing my best to avoid information on ME3, so I don't know which characters I likely will/won't be using, but goddamn I do love me some Garrus.

#12 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

Mostly Samara , due to her being asari and having awesome powers ... next one would be , I dunno I rotate my teams often :P

#13 Posted by Sackmanjones (4703 posts) -
@Animasta: Im disappointed you cant remember........... anyway I will add a list as to your request
#14 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

I'm weird. I pick the characters on a mission-by-mission basis based off who I think has the most personally at stake or can relate more to that setting or goal. Oh, I'm going after a Matriarch? I guess I'll go with Liara or Samara. A hive of scum and villainy? I guess a character like Jack or Wrex is more appropriate. Etc.

#15 Posted by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

Tali, all the time, every time. Not sure why, but something about her makes me want her to be a part of the crew all the time.

#16 Posted by rjayb89 (7721 posts) -

In my first playthrough, in which I didn't know what to expect in missions (and because I didn't read the transmissions), I chose pretty randomly. Subsequent playthroughs just called for the most adept at disposing whatever enemies lie in the mission. Like Kasumi and Garrus for robot-heavy missions. But, for some reason, Jack comes to mind. I used her Shockwave ability a lot because of those damn husks.

#17 Posted by Sackmanjones (4703 posts) -
@N7 said:
Garrus for a majority of it, followed by Mordin and then Legion for what little I had him.
It really was a shame that Legion came in a little late, I thought they could have done a lot more with him. But what they did was awesome, even though there was very little of it.
#18 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

Different dudes depending on what enemy was in the mission or my class. Thane and Jack/Samara/Morinth for collector missions for warp and crowd control, 2 of Tali/Legion/Garrus for geth, Against meatbags whomever, maybe a bit more Grunt than anybody else.

#19 Edited by Tonic7 (238 posts) -

I used Garrus more often than not simply because of ME1 ties (in that game I used Garrus and Liara almost exclusively), but I can say that the other member was different a lot of the time. I remember taking Grunt, Thane, and Samara with pretty good regularity, too.

I should note that I was playing as an engineer.

Also, if Liara is a full-time squad member in ME3, I expect to be back to a Garrus/Liara combo for basically the entire game. Seems like the perfect way to finish the series.

Edit: Oh yeah, now I remember - I used Kasumi quite a bit, too.

#20 Edited by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

Tali always. I found her character to be the most enjoyable, and her drone was useful every now and then. I swapped the third spot between Mordin and Thane depending on what I was fighting. I do, however, wish Legion would have joined earlier in the story so I could have used him more in my squad. I feel bad for not using Garrus, who was one of my favorites in 1, but he just didn't seem as interesting compared to Thane. Calibrations, calibrations, calibrations.

#21 Posted by Strife777 (1579 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

I'm weird. I pick the characters on a mission-by-mission basis based off who I think has the most personally at stake or can relate more to that setting or goal. Oh, I'm going after a Matriarch? I guess I'll go with Liara or Samara. A hive of scum and villainy? I guess a character like Jack or Wrex is more appropriate. Etc.

You're not that weird. I do it a lot too, and I find that it makes more sense in the role-playing context.

If I also remember correctly, some companions had extra dialogue in certain conversations, depending on who you brought with you.

#22 Posted by N7 (3588 posts) -
@Sackmanjones said:
@N7 said:
It really was a shame that Legion came in a little late, I thought they could have done a lot more with him. But what they did was awesome, even though there was very little of it.
Legion was my man, man.
#23 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

I remember using Garrus for basically every mission. Can't remember who else, though. It's been 2 years and I kinda flew through that game.

#24 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Legion must be my favorite ME character. He's completely unexpected and very, very reminding of HK-47. After that, anything non-human. I have a penchant for Mordin.

#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

Garrus because he's pretty awesome. I think Miranda was the second most frequent partner.

#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

I basically always went with Miranda and Mordin. As I remember it, I tried other combinations of characters, but those two always had a range of abilities that would cover all the different damage types there were (warp, tech, fire) rather well.

#27 Edited by benspyda (2034 posts) -

Garrus because he's awesome and Miranda because you know, her butt.

#28 Posted by HatKing (5949 posts) -

I always tried to rotate my players. I don't need to over-exert anybody. hah... No, I mostly just wanted to make sure I heard weird interactions between different characters. I think, after I finished the game and was just going to wrap up side quests I rolled Miranda and Garrus.

#29 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

Miranda and...Thane or Garrus. Can't remember.

#30 Posted by ahgunsillyo (450 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

I basically always went with Miranda and Mordin. As I remember it, I tried other combinations of characters, but those two always had a range of abilities that would cover all the different damage types there were (warp, tech, fire) rather well.

Same here. I felt the combination of those two made pretty good tactical sense when it came to fighting multiple enemies with armor and shields, especially on the higher difficulties. I'd sometimes switch one of them out for Garrus or Tali, but I usually stuck with Miranda and Mordin.

Also, "ONE LESS."

#31 Posted by Renegade_Pixels (52 posts) -

I used Garrus because he's my bro. And Tali because, well, Tali.

#32 Posted by Renegade_Pixels (52 posts) -

@benspyda said:

Garrus because he's awesome and Miranda because you know, her butt.

Dat ass!

#33 Edited by heavyplay (298 posts) -

Miranda always, because she was the only character with both warp and overload, which covered you for every situation. Second companion was whoever I thought suited the situation story-wise for that mission.

#34 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4508 posts) -

Jack and Samara

#35 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I switched it up every mission. My least used was probably Grunt and Jacob.

#36 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

I used Miranda and Mordin through most of the game, although I did occasionally switch it up.

#37 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Sackmanjones said:
@N7 said:
Legion was my man, man.

As is apparent by my (latest) avatar, I concur. Legion and Grunt made my team nice and rounded, range-wise.

#38 Posted by GunstarRed (5182 posts) -

I mixed it up a bunch in my main save, but never Jack. Towards the end Legion and Thane. In my insane run (still stuck at final boss) Miranda and Mordin at all times because they had the most useful powers.

#39 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1329 posts) -

Mordin and Miranda, I liked both of their abilities, Mordin is really funny, and Miranda dat ass

#40 Posted by Sackmanjones (4703 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan said:

My least used was probably Grunt and Jacob.

I used grunt quite a bit but man, reading through the thread I have seen almost nobody really sticking with Jacob.  Other than helping me get one of the trophies he just seemed...meh
#41 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

Miranda and Garrus.

Or Samara and Thane. As an adept Samara and Thane turned the game into a joke.

#42 Posted by Seauton (114 posts) -

I usually rolled with Grunt and Miranda, and I was a Sentinel. I found that between Miranda and I, we had a shit load of powers (I had the squad warp ammo) and Grunt was a solid ass kicker. This was also who I primarily used on my Insanity run was well.

#43 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -

Garrus and Jack.

#44 Posted by j0rdan (211 posts) -

Garrus, Jack and Tali

#45 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

garrus and jack mostly, mordin sometimes

#46 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

Across 3 playthroughs, including one on Insanity: mainly Miranda and Mordin - but sometimes rotating out Mordin for others (Kasumi, Jack, Grunt) depending on mood.

#47 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

I used Thane and Samara pretty much the entire game. They were my favorite characters and they both had useful abilities, so why not? I used a bunch of different combinations on the first Mass Effect though because I played through it so many times.

#48 Posted by TheHT (11253 posts) -

I tried to use switch it up often, but more than often used Garrus. He's my homie from way back when yo.

#49 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

I think most of the time I used Miranda and Jack (to make it my femme fatale trio^^) and once he was available, I threw Thane in there sometimes to switch it up a bit.

#50 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

Up until the end of the game I used everyone, but the real money maker was tali and legion with their bots. Was more like a squad of 5 at that point.

Samara was cool as well at Liara.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.