Why Didn't the Reapers Try That in the First Place?

#1 Edited by Vaile (355 posts) -
#2 Edited by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

The Citadel method is definitely better, because it allows the Reapers to cut off the relays and cripple their opposition from the start, something that the method suggested in Arrival doesn't let them do.

#3 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Cause going through the Citadel would freeze communications with other systems.

#4 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Vaile said:

"

"
Soverign had already infiltrated as a ship that a spectre and a species of geth could be controlled, all sovereign had to do was activate the mass relay of the citadel.
#5 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

because then there's not a videogame.

#6 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -
@Dany:  
Right, but to do that it first had to lead an army of antagonistic machines across the galaxy to overcome several obstacles, then override the Citadel mainframe. 
Wouldn't it just have been easier to bypass all that by using the Alpha Relay, which required none of that?
#7 Edited by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

So people can refresh their memory a bit:

The Citadel method is the much better method in theory, the Alpha Relay seems like a contrived backup plan. They ran the risk of being discovered by leaving dark space and flying toward the Milky Way Galaxy.

The fact is the Reapers are obviously going to be defeated in some form at the end of ME3, maybe there's a reason they don't attack head on?

#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

looks like you blew yourself in that avatar 

(get it?)

#9 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Vaile said:

" @Dany:  
Right, but to do that it first had to lead an army of antagonistic machines across the galaxy to overcome several obstacles, then override the Citadel mainframe. Wouldn't it just have been easier to bypass all that by using the Alpha Relay, which required none of that? "

Cut communications and mass relays cut any space flying species dead in the water. Most effective way to win and as previous people have mentioned, they had back up plans but didnt work
#10 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: Haha, Yes yes, I get it. 

@ricetopher
said:
"

The Citadel method is definitely better, because it allows the Reapers to cut off the relays and cripple their opposition from the start, something that the method suggested in Arrival doesn't let them do.

"
That makes sense. It seemed odd that the devs would leave a plot hole that big. Glad to see I overlooked something.
#11 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -
@Dany: When I had replied to your previous comment, I didn't notice that there were comments above it.  

All cleared up now, thanks for the response. 
#12 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Because the Reapers are actually completely inept, despite the fact they have allegedly carried out this scheme countless times before.  They're now being given the run around by a guy, which makes you wonder how shitty the Protheans and everybody else before them must have been.  

Maybe the Protheans actually got wiped out by space flu or something and the whole Beacon warning about the Reapers coming was just their idea of a joke.

#13 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Because the Reapers are actually completely inept, despite the fact they have allegedly carried out this scheme countless times before.  They're now being given the run around by a guy, which makes you wonder how shitty the Protheans and everybody else before them must have been.    Maybe the Protheans actually got wiped out by space flu or something and the whole Beacon warning about the Reapers coming was just their idea of a joke. "
...you did see the ME3 trailer right, cuz shit is fucked up....I am sure....or am assuming that everything will be right after ME3 but who knows? Maybe we all die at the end with shepards futile attempts
#14 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1333 posts) -

......................... the grim reaper has arrriveddhh

#15 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" because then there's not a videogame. "
Exactly this.  I always thought it was a little lame that you spent the whole first game making sure something doesn't happen, only for it to just happen some other way in the service of a sequel.  Not one of Bioware's best plot devices.
#16 Posted by Wiseblood (633 posts) -

Because a direct relay jump from whatever relay the Citadel is paired with is better than years of FTL fight towards the next available entry point.

#17 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

There's got to be something seriously fucked about the Reapers, something Harbinger and Sovereign and the rest of the Reapers were conscious of when they planned their attack strategy in the first place. They want the element of surprise like it's the fucking Holy Grail.  

I get the feeling it's going to be a letdown in Mass Effect 3 when they go all Scott Pilgrim with it and it's just like, "Oh, you have to touch the back of their knees to win." 

#18 Posted by WiqidBritt (575 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Because the Reapers are actually completely inept, despite the fact they have allegedly carried out this scheme countless times before.  They're now being given the run around by a guy, which makes you wonder how shitty the Protheans and everybody else before them must have been.    Maybe the Protheans actually got wiped out by space flu or something and the whole Beacon warning about the Reapers coming was just their idea of a joke. "
let's be fair here, if things had gone to the Reapers' original plan there's not a damn thing at all that Shepard could have done to stop them. It was because of the Protheans that the Reapers couldn't just activated the Citadel relay from outside the galaxy.
#19 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

I think its because they wrote themselves into a corner, and needed some lame excuse to make some DLC to bridge ME2 into ME3....and that alpha relay bit made no sense, it was unnecessary, and in truth since it was going to be destroyed regardless, they could have left us without that terrible plot for a DLC, and perhaps given us something that really mattered....mass indoctrination was part of the plot of ME1, and yet somehow, some of the Alliance's best managed to screw up and not take the necessary precautions....yeah...Bioware can't seem to keep consistency that's worth a crap anymore...

#20 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

Because Arrival was a bad DLC that I am not going to include in the Mass Effect story canon.

#21 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@Vaile: The alpha relay was a backup plan.  It is apparently the closest relay to their hiding place however there's a reason why it's a backup plan.

The Reapers are advanced and very powerful but they don't want to wage a conventional war.  Using citadel would allow them to basically wipe out the centralized leadership and headquarters of the force most likely to oppose them.  If they did that then they would be fighting numerous smaller wars against individual races thus keeping Reaper casualties down and minimizing risk.  Since that plan has failed, they now have to fight a multi front war with numerous advanced races... something the Reapers believe they can win, but a war they would have liked to have avoided.

It would have the additional benefit of cutting off the races from mass relays increasing travel and communication time.
#22 Posted by Zabant (1235 posts) -

All I want to know is why. Why are they killing everything in the galaxy over and over again.

If they give us the whole YOU ORGANIC BEINGS CANNOT HOPE TO COMPREHEND ill be mad as hell

and where do they come from what is their origin point, i would like to know that.
#23 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@Zabant: They are an advances race, but they are not perfect.  They gain some new knowledge and technology each time the cycle completes and improve their own tech as a result.

They can also use some of the races like the Protheans and Humans to create more Reapers.  This was all explained in Mass Effect 2.
#24 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -
@blueaniman93: I don't think your personal story equals canon.
#25 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -
@Sjosz:  Yeah. I know, Arrival was just really disappointing for me and I'm going to pretend like it never happened.
#26 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -
@blueaniman93: That's too bad, I thought it was a nice bite-size piece of content.
#27 Posted by Sharpshooter (883 posts) -

They probably did it the Citadel way hundreds if not thousands of times and its worked out well. Its just a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

#28 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -
@blueaniman93 said:
" @Sjosz:  Yeah. I know, Arrival was just really disappointing for me and I'm going to pretend like it never happened. "
agree, never happened
#29 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -
@tourgen said:
" @blueaniman93 said:
" @Sjosz:  Yeah. I know, Arrival was just really disappointing for me and I'm going to pretend like it never happened. "
agree, never happened "
If I could block out any moment in Arrival, it would be the part where I paid $7 for it.
#30 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

" Because the Reapers are actually completely inept, despite the fact they have allegedly carried out this scheme countless times before.  They're now being given the run around by a guy, which makes you wonder how shitty the Protheans and everybody else before them must have been.

Maybe the Protheans actually got wiped out by space flu or something and the whole Beacon warning about the Reapers coming was just their idea of a joke. "

I laughed really hard, haha.

@Sjosz said: 

@blueaniman93: That's too bad, I thought it was a nice bite-size piece of content. "

You must be new to this whole videogame thing. You are forgiven.
#31 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Sharpshooter said:
" They probably did it the Citadel way hundreds if not thousands of times and its worked out well. Its just a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. "
True, I'd agree with that but they have alternate plans as evident in ME2 and Arrival
#32 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5107 posts) -
@Vaile said:
" @tourgen said:
" @blueaniman93 said:
agree, never happened "
If I could block out any moment in Arrival, it would be the part where I paid $7 for it. "
Your forgetting the part where the beginning of ME3 from what they said had everything to do with Arrival.
#33 Posted by caityful (46 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
because then there's not a videogame.
Also this ^^
But also wasn't the relay on Ilos the only way to the Citadel's Alpha Relay?
(Or am I completely muddled up here...)
#34 Posted by Creigz (181 posts) -
@ricetopher said:

This is tactically sound.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.