Why does everyone like The Illusive Man?

#1 Posted by stoodspoon (589 posts) -

After reading about him and Cerberus and playing overlord, I always thought that he is a total douchbag. i mean Cerberus has never done anything good for humanity, and their projects have always been failures.

#2 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

Illusive man profile: 

Sexual liaisons (past week):

-Sani Shelani, Illium Entertainment's Sexiest Human Alive

-Brooke Karrigar, Skyball Champion

-Vela Vicious, Fornax Dream Girl 2185

-Staci and Stephi Strong, the "Terra Firma Twins"

-Matriarch Trellani (twice)

Dude is a legend.
#3 Posted by Brendan (7663 posts) -
@jadeskye:
End fucking thread
#4 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

He's a badass motherfucker who is also a pimp despite his age getting up there. 

He's like a space hugh hefner.

#5 Edited by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

He's fun to watch. Dude is smooth.

Oh, and robot eyes.

#6 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

It's because he is a smooth douche bag that everyone likes him.

#7 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

he's illusive

#8 Posted by SlowHands (347 posts) -

He's also Martin Sheen.

#9 Edited by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

You party too hard, he'll bring you back from the dead.

#10 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" You party too hard, he'll bring you back from the dead. "
I think you just won this thread.
#11 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
He is space Martin Sheen. He has robot eyes and can get any chick he wants. Just like Earth Martin Sheen.
#12 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

So many right answers in this thread. Give yourselves a hand, guys.

#13 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@stoodspoon said:
" After reading about him and Cerberus and playing overlord, I always thought that he is a total douchbag. i mean Cerberus has never done anything good for humanity, and their projects have always been failures. "
I like him because he's vaguely G-Man esque and lives in some ethereal apartment. He spouts apocalyptic-prophecy and is voiced by Martin Sheen. 

The Illusive Man is badass.
#14 Edited by Korolev (1694 posts) -

It's because he's super smart and can get pretty much anything done. He shows himself to be more capable than the council, more informed, and more willing to take action. His goals are questionable, and his methods are downright evil, but at the end he might not be entirely a bad guy.  

But mostly, it's because he's mysterious and with game characters, "Mysterious + Powerful + ROBOT EYES = interesting character". 

In real life however, I'd stay 1,000,000 miles away from him at all times. He's a bad dude who'll mess you up. 

EDIT: And every day he gets up and looks a star in its FACE before getting down to business.

#15 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
@wordfalling said:
" Because everyone knows smoking isn't cool but the dude is still smoking in the 22nd century and still makes it look cool. "
Dude cured death, he can deal with lung cancer by blinking too hard.
#16 Posted by GrandHarrier (179 posts) -

He isn't your typical hero and/or villian. He is complicated and your interactions with him are always interesting. And let's be honest. When you get to the end of the game and get to defy him and wreck his plans, it is satisfying almost because he has been this all powerful, all seeing unstoppable foil the rest of the game.

#17 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Because that bitch Miranda wanted to put mind control device in Shepard but The Illusive Man said, "No, bitch. I'm paying the bills and you'll do what ever I say."  <------- truth

#18 Posted by jclane (335 posts) -
@SlowHands said:
" He's also Martin Sheen. "
This.As soon as the man opens his mouth,you are already having an unprecedented orgasm without even knowing it,
#19 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
@wordfalling said:
" @jadeskye:  I'm just saying that these days, screenwriters for tv or film or game designers who have characters smoke just look foolish, the Illusive Man makes it look cool.  So yes, Bioware is a shill for the tobacco industry. "
Haha. CONSPIRACY!
#20 Posted by GrandHarrier (179 posts) -

@wordfalling Yeah, you're right. I hadn't considered that angle either. Two playthroughs and I just can't bring myself to play pure renegade. Mostly all paragon with renegade moments. But I can imagine how that would be equally as satisfying in its own way.

#21 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
@GrandHarrier: You get to punch dudes, insult dudes and throw dudes out of 300 story windows. Renegade is BOSS.
#22 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Not all of his projects were failures. After all, he did bring Commander Shepard back.

#23 Posted by GrandHarrier (179 posts) -

@jadeskye: Why says you can't do some of that as a Paragon? Sometimes dudes really do need to be defenestrated. Even by and especially by the "good guys". But back to the topic at hand, the fact that the Illusive Man manages to interface so naturally with both a Paragon and Renegade Shepard speaks to the strength of his character.

#24 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

He's cool and illusive.

#25 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Great character, greater asshole.

I so loved bitching at him.

#26 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" He's a badass motherfucker who is also a pimp despite his age getting up there. He's like a space hugh hefner. "
More like a space Howard Hughes.
#27 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@wordfalling said:
" @GrandHarrier:  Unless you are roleplaying a "renegade badass humans are best Shepard" and let him have the station. The smile on his face with that ending is fanfuckingtastic. "
The look on his face at the end is "I'm going to be the villain in the next game and make the reapers to destroy Earth!"
#28 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I never really liked him, but he is interesting.

#29 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
"Illusive man profile: 

Dude is a legend. "

Fucking /thread. 
#30 Posted by Jeust (10448 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" Illusive man profile: 

Dude is a legend. "
Meh, justifying it on a mere piece of text found in one of the DLCs.  

I can find much better characters. 
#31 Posted by Jedted (2317 posts) -

No doubt the Illusive Man could throw one hell of a party but from a roleplaying perspective i hate hate him.  My Shepard still holds a grudge against Cerberus after what happened to his unit on Akuze. 
#32 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Three words; He revived Shepard

#33 Posted by BibleDoctor (698 posts) -

I like him because he is Martin Sheen, I suppose though being a Well Intentioned Extremist makes him more likable too. I play Paragon so I never see eye to eye with TIM, I would likely care for him a lot less if someone else was his voice actor.

#34 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
" he's illusive "
oh ur just making stuff up now !
#35 Posted by EpicSteve (6470 posts) -

I feel like he can smooth-talk me into putting nails in my face.

#36 Posted by csl316 (7954 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" Illusive man profile: 

Dude is a legend. "
#37 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -

After all the Cerberus side missions in ME1 and reading background text and the books, I HATE the Illusive Man.  I told him how is was going to be at the end of ME2 and it felt great.  He works for ME until he causes me trouble or back-talks, then I put a bullet in his skull.

#38 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I don't really like him at all to be honest, I just pretty much like Martin "Apocalypse Now" Sheen :)

#39 Posted by lolwot (254 posts) -
@GrandHarrier said:
" He isn't your typical hero and/or villian. He is complicated and your interactions with him are always interesting. And let's be honest. When you get to the end of the game and get to defy him and wreck his plans, it is satisfying almost because he has been this all powerful, all seeing unstoppable foil the rest of the game. "
wat 
He hardly does anything for the entire game.   The Illusive Man is just a dull, rote way of advancing the barely existent main story and giving the player missions. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.