Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Woah, got too many questions about Mass Effect 2

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

This is exactly why I respect Dave's opinions far more than the actual editorial staff.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#102  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @snide said:
    " @ArbitraryWater: You are correct that I'm picking on Mass Effect 2 unfairly. I'm only projecting so hard because it's made by BioWare. I think it's a well-crafted game that will appeal to the majority of people. I certainly understand why many people pick it as the game of the year. I just happen to like the book better than the movie. "
    Well, pedigree does count for a lot, but I consider Dragon Age to be the bone thrown for us, the people who like Bioware games that came out before KotOR (and I recall it being their best selling game as well), and despite the part where some of the more retro-elitist members are decrying it as the end of society as we know it, Dragon Age 2 happens to look like it plays a lot like the first one. But, believe me, I get your point. 

In any case, I recommend that you start more heavily pushing your CRPG agenda on the site (as an addition to your eastern european developed and sim agendas. It's not like January is an especially game heavy month) I would start with a quick look throwback for something like Wizardry 8 or Temple of Elemental Evil, and then engineer the website so that said game shows up whenever someone types "Halo" in the search.  You'll have the public's hearts and minds in no time!
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By Animasta
    @tourgen said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Ramboknife said:
    " In my opinion, the combat is only boring in ME2 if you let it be...you can choose different classes and combine all of the special abilities to make some pretty cool combos and whatnot.  "
    Yeah I have to agree with you, when Brad was saying how the game is pretty much a shooter now and he only played as Soldier I rolled my eyes and sighed "oh Brad".  An adept on insanity is amazing fun.  I still have to agree with Dave though, the CRPG genre is dead as people are trying to push their games more and more into the mainstream, judging from the Dragon Age 2 they have been showing that looks like it's going the hack and slash route too. But we'll wait and see. "
    I've never played soldier but I don't think the other classes play as differently as you think. "
    They most certainly do.  The Vanguard played properly plays like nothing else in the game, or any other shooter I've every played. "
    what, because they have a charge move?
    RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104  Edited By RockyRaccoon37
    @Tuffgong said:
    " This sounds like an old man ranting about the kids these days.

I agree with the sentiment that the world needs more great CRPGs because I loved Dragon Age and I want more.  However I'm far too pluralist when it comes to gaming to not appreciate both.  But I have to ask at what point to CRPG's (like MMOs) just become work.  I play far too many games to feel frustrated at sitting down and figuring out how to get past this one part in this one game.

I miss the RPG elements that were present in ME1 but I understand the motives and I think Dave does as well.  I just happened to really enjoy the gameplay in Mass Effect 2 and so did...pretty much everyone else that played it.

I think the part that's legitimately frustrating is that in the name of CRPGs the parts that make Mass Effect (2) unique have been ignored or diminished.  Namely the characters, the world, etc wrapped in what is at least a competent 3rd person shooter with very light RPG elements.  I don't subscribe to the idea that games are obgliated to be a certain way to be good.  This is why I could care less that Dragon Age (as long as its good) may be moving away from the CRPG-ness of the original.  I guess I'm kinda disappointed Dave was as crotchety as he is about games but I guess that's why he's not a reviewer :) "
    I don' t think there's anything elitist or "crotchety" (gonna have to try and find a way to fit that into my vocabulary) about enjoying a specific style of game, and lamenting the fact that it is rarely seen in contemporary games. 

I'm not gonna sit here and defend a dude that I don't know (but I guess that ship has sailed...), but it seems unfair to attack someone for voicing their opinion. 

You don't like games that require "work", or at least, too much work. That's cool dude, some of use out there-- lingering in the ether-- find those kinds of games rewarding. Is that such a bad thing?  

Also, if you think  that the characters, world, or story in the Mass Effect games are at all unique, I'd suggest watching and reading some Sci-Fi.
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#105  Edited By MisterMouse

good blog post, thanks snide for expanding upon your comments in TNT, always good to get a fresh look at things.

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By gunharp
    @Snide 

I can relate your rant to the fall of east/west tactics style games in general (Silent Storm, Ogre Battle). I've been fine with the slow pace in which the CRPG genre has had, and I loved seeing the game play get expanded on in mmorpgs. Between Neverwinter Nights 2 and Dragon Age I thought the long breaks between good CRPG titles was fine. However I do not want to see it fade away, and I can only hope that Dragon Age 2 is not the last AAA title in the genre. I would really hate to see the genre be limited to the state of war games these days.

I think the best point you brought up was the transition of Deus Ex to Deus Ex 2. I don't think it is as bad in relation of ME1 to ME2, but you are on point in how the game play states changed. God damn do I remember when Deus Ex 2 was out, I'll never forget it. I was pretty young (in Jr. High), skipped class that day even. Only to find out the game ran like absolute crap on my GeForce card which I remember buying to enable all the shading/shadow engine tech. I ended up playing Rainbow Six 3: Ravenshield online team death match all day instead. I still never finished Deus Ex 2. Argh! Why did you ask me if I remembered that? Now I am going to think about the upcoming third game way to much.

As a bit of a counter point though. Sometimes the evolution can be awesome, such as what happened with System Shock.    

Reading your blog also reminds me that you never guest star on the bombcast enough : (
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By TwoLines

LOVED Planescape, liked Baldur's Gate, Didn't care for Dragon Age, liked ME2 very much.
    So, it depends on the universe and the story for me. Planescape- amazing, Dragon Age- poor, Baldur's Gate- meh, ME2- good. If not very good.
    Well.. the main story in ME2 kinda sucked. But the character missions were really good, and the dialogue was excellent.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#108  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @RockyRaccoon37 said:
    " Also, if you think  that the characters, world, or story in the Mass Effect games are at all unique, I'd suggest watching and reading some Sci-Fi. "
    By that logic, absolutely no story whatsoever could be unique except for something absurdly stupid. It's not a setting that makes for uniqueness, but the elements that differentiates the aspects that define the story from the archetypes that normally describe the genre.
    DaBuddaDa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By DaBuddaDa
    @snide said:
    " Have played every one one of these games you mention, most to completion (obviously have not played TWII yet, but I didn't like the first one). Only Drakensang fits in the style of RPG I'm discussing and it was a ho-hum clone of Neverwinter Nights. The rest of them are mostly focused on action and very limited upgrade mechanics. Neverwinter Nights 2 is an amazing game, but fairly old at this point and is basically what I'm calling out to in this post. "
    Oi, I guess the open-world trend isn't your thing really, then. If you can get over the archaic graphics, the Eschalon games are wonderful, tactical, old-school CRPGs, as well as anything Vogel puts out from Spiderweb Software.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Animasta
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @RockyRaccoon37 said:
    " Also, if you think  that the characters, world, or story in the Mass Effect games are at all unique, I'd suggest watching and reading some Sci-Fi. "
    By that logic, absolutely no story whatsoever could be unique except for something absurdly stupid. It's not a setting that makes for uniqueness, but the elements that differentiates the aspects that define the story from the archetypes that normally describe the genre. "
    please, tell me what's so unique about mass effect that I can't get out of anywhere else.

If you say the way the story ends and that anyone could die, I would argue that AP did that aspect better anyway.
    Kovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#111  Edited By Kovski

I totally agree with you, Snide, as a whole, but I wouldn't consider Dragon Age having a rewarding combat system. The combat is more or less just MMO-style with a pause and party function. Without any type of rule set or actually useful fight log, every encounter just ended up feeling like I was lucking my way through it without any sort of strategic thinking other than mashing the right items at the right time and on occasions pause because a mob suddenly decided to do something random without any logic to it at all.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#112  Edited By Sin4profit

Great blog, i agree with your comments on ME2. Though, i liked the adventurous discovery in the game, the combat just hit the breaks on that and felt more like an obligation, a chore, to get to the points i wanted to get to. I'm also not fond of obligatory design...Mass Effect doesn't need a skill tree because it just doesn't matter. Just like the Elder Scrolls series doesn't need combat skill progression, it just does not matter within the design of the game.

For me,however, it's the exploration in RPGs that i like. not really the combat. I wasn't too far into Icewind Dale before i realized i just couldn't handle that games realtime combat and defeating trolls was a matter of doing a Benny Hill run around a statue,turn, attack, repeat. I just can't commit that kind of time to games anymore. 

So for me, the Elder Scrolls games are my favorite as they are all about exploration. I may try and go back to finish the CRPGs that i own but haven't finished (Icewind Dale) or event the ones i own and haven't even started (Baldurs Gate 2, Icewind Dale 2, Planescape: Torment) but i just don't see myself having the time these days to get into them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#113  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @RockyRaccoon37 said:
    By that logic, absolutely no story whatsoever could be unique except for something absurdly stupid. It's not a setting that makes for uniqueness, but the elements that differentiates the aspects that define the story from the archetypes that normally describe the genre. "
    So what was unique about Mass Effect 2's story?
    Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#114  Edited By Grumbel

While I don't have much love for CRPGs, I can defintively see a need for more complex combat in Mass Effect. I think one of the biggest issues with the game is simply that it forces you far to early, i.e. at the very start of the game, to pick a character class. Different classes play quite differently, but you never ever are going to experience any of that on a regular single play through. A scheme where the choice is delayed to much later in the game and doesn't block you from all the abilities from another class, like say Gothic 2, could make combat a good bit more interesting.

More focus on tactics would also be very welcome, Full Spectrum Warrior had pretty nice tactical combat in a third person shooter view, Mass Effects kind of goes into that direction, but basically stops with the abilities to tell your teammates where to go and what to target, Full Spectrum Warrior had quite a few more options to do, which made things more interesting.

Last not least Mass Effect would also be a perfect game to throw in some stealth, you have all that great cast of characters, but don't really do much with any of their special abilities. Your whole team is basically a waste, as most of it just goes completly unused over the course of the game.

In the end I wouldn't want to turn Mass Effect into either a micro management orgy or filled with endless amounts of useless loot, but there is definitively a lot of room in the game for more tactical or simply more interesting combat.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#115  Edited By tourgen
    @Laketown:  Name one other game that has a class with a power anything like the Vanguard's charge power.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown: @Hailinel: Again, uniqueness doesn't mean that a story has never had the same basic idea as the story that is deemed unique, but it means that the element of the story strays in a different direction than what has been done before. Reapers, Rachni, Salarians, Krogans... all of these races have different representations in different Sci-fi stories, but there are variations to these archetypes in Mass Effect that make them unique. Being unique doesn't mean that it has to be drastically different. It just means it has to be different.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Animasta
    @tourgen said:
    " @Laketown:  Name one other game that has a class with a power anything like the Vanguard's charge power. "
    I can't, but it really doesn't make that big of a deal; I played through my playthrough as a vanguard, and the only thing that differed between that and an inflitrator is sometimes I would zoom to an enemy, kill him, and then go back to where I started, more often than not.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By gike987
    @Sin4profit said:
    " Great blog, i agree with your comments on ME2. Though, i liked the adventurous discovery in the game, the combat just hit the breaks on that and felt more like an obligation, a chore, to get to the points i wanted to get to. I'm also not fond of obligatory design...Mass Effect doesn't need a skill tree because it just doesn't matter. Just like the Elder Scrolls series doesn't need combat skill progression, it just does not matter within the design of the game. For me,however, it's the exploration in RPGs that i like. not really the combat. I wasn't too far into Icewind Dale before i realized i just couldn't handle that games realtime combat and defeating trolls was a matter of doing a Benny Hill run around a statue,turn, attack, repeat. I just can't commit that kind of time to games anymore.  So for me, the Elder Scrolls games are my favorite as they are all about exploration. I may try and go back to finish the CRPGs that i own but haven't finished (Icewind Dale) or event the ones i own and haven't even started (Baldurs Gate 2, Icewind Dale 2, Planescape: Torment) but i just don't see myself having the time these days to get into them. "
    That's one of my problems with ME2 I didn't feel like there was any discovery at all. Sure you could do the missions in any order or even find them by scanning planets, but the missions themselves were completely linear.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#119  Edited By Claude

I'm just waiting for a WRPG to be released on a console with Motion Controls. Oh yeah, that's the ticket.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#120  Edited By themartyr

Great post, Dave. Really enjoyed it, despite actually not being a fan of the games you miss. You make a string of well-argued points.

Absolute_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#121  Edited By Absolute_Zero
    @Rhaknar said:
    " why the fuck does Dave even have to justify himself for not liking a game "
    This.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Laketown: @Hailinel: Again, uniqueness doesn't mean that a story has never had the same basic idea as the story that is deemed unique, but it means that the element of the story strays in a different direction than what has been done before. Reapers, Rachni, Salarians, Krogans... all of these races have different representations in different Sci-fi stories, but there are variations to these archetypes in Mass Effect that make them unique. Being unique doesn't mean that it has to be drastically different. It just means it has to be different. "
    I asked what specifically was unique.  This is just dancing around the question.  I haven't played Mass Effect 2, but as far as I can tell, it's just a story set in a Star Trek-style universe where you're running around and recruiting a team (much like recruiting characters and factions in Dragon Age) to complete a specific mission (again, like taking down the Archdemon in Dragon Age, which is suicide depending how you go about it).
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#123  Edited By 234r2we232

I'd rather read a Mass Effect book than play a Mass Effect game. Then again, if it involved having to browse the Sci-Fi-rotica section at a book store... no thanks

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#124  Edited By management

First off, Mass Effect 2 is a good game. That said, I am sad to see the old RPG genre go away. I am a gamer of the younger generation and I'm feeling like I'm missing out on all these great games. The only game I have played that are like this is Dragon Age: Origins and I absolutely loved it. The second you saw your character enter battle you had to come up with a strategy, find the mage that dealt a ton of damage, get the mobs to focus their attacks on your "tank" which in my case was Alistair, move out off area of effect spells and combine certain spells with each other etc. 

I never played the first Mass Effect so I did not know what to expect when I jumped into ME2. I had heard things as, RPG with shooting mechanics, different classes and no dice rolls when shooting. While all of these things might be true I can't look at it as an RPG after having played Dragon Age and The Witcher. There was no tactical and hard combat, no customization and no loot. It was pretty much a third-person shooter with some RPG elements and dialog options. 

I want more games like Dragon Age. Deep RPG elements, class based, the full package. I hope I am speaking for more than myself when I am saying that the younger generation of gamers also want to experience more games like that without having to reach into the back catalog. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel said:
    " I asked what specifically was unique.  This is just dancing around the question.  I haven't played Mass Effect 2, but as far as I can tell, it's just a story set in a Star Trek-style universe where you're running around and recruiting a team (much like recruiting characters and factions in Dragon Age) to complete a specific mission (again, like taking down the Archdemon in Dragon Age, which is suicide depending how you go about it). "
    Well, I never claimed Mass Effect 2's story itself was unique. But I do think it has unique aspects, just like I noted with the matter of the races. As a plan (recruiting -> suicide mission), it's not unique. But it's the minor aspects that give the story its own feel. The genophage, Cerberus, the conflict of the two factions of Geth... these are the things that make the story unique. It's not the bigger picture, but the things that define that world.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Skytylz
    @gike987 said:
    " People are way to defensive about ME2.  I'm really starting to hate ME2, not because I don't like the game but because of the ridiculous fanboys attacking people for not calling it the best game ever. "
    It's not even the best game in the series.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#127  Edited By natetodamax
    @snide said:

The combat in Mass Effect 2 is boring. It's is a shooter more than an RPG. That's OK, I like shooters and I certainly like STALKER and BioShock, so what's the deal? Well, I also think Mass Effect 2 is a shitty, uncomplicated, floaty shooter with fairly meaningless skill upgrades that they are for the most part pre-set and easy to choose. Fuck yeah I want better shields. Fuck yeah I want better X attack. The actual combat involves me moving from set-piece to set-piece Gears of War style. See those barricades? Oh. I guess a fight is about to happen, I better go hide behind this wall where I'm suddenly impenetrable from anything. Because of the meatiness of the health and shields in these types of games, you largely die because of a lack of patience (trying to kill them too fast) vs. making bad decisions in strategy.

THANK YOU! I try to get this across to people but nobody takes me seriously, I guess. BioWare got rid of the RPG elements and just made it a third person shooter, which I really did not like. ME 1 characters had lots of abilities and other stuff that you could spend your skill points on. In ME2, everyone but Shepard has, what, four or five abilities, and all of them are totally boring to upgrade. 

I enjoyed the game and the story during the 22 hours it took me to beat everything, but Bioware made some really dumb design decisions that I just did not agree with.
    Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Lamashtu

It's nice to see my favourite Giant Bomber telling everyone what's what in the world of PC games and CRPGs.

And cookass, someone in Giant Bomb who loved the Void. We need you, Mike, and Vinny to Quick Look that, King's Bounty, and DCS: A-10C for your fans' viewing pleasure.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#129  Edited By Sin4profit
    @gike987: Well, i mean discovery in reading up on their mythologies and just getting a feel for the world they've created. What you're talking about i'd call lack of exploration, which ME2 definitely lacked, yes, but at the same time the exploration in ME 1 was so terrible that i didn't miss it.
    mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By mesklinite

You're dead on Dave!

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#131  Edited By Grumbel
    @Hailinel said:

So what was unique about Mass Effect 2's story? "

Mass Effect 2 specifically? Not much, I'd go as far to say the main story arc was rather crappy. The side stories where great and you had lots of them due to all the side characters, but they weren't really uniqueness.

The Mass Effect universe as a whole on the other side is pretty unique with the Reapers. They certainly do make an interesting enemy. Yeah, they are not 100% unique, one could see some similarities with the Shadows in Babylon5, but that aside I'd have a hard time naming anything that goes into that direction. Reapers aside, Mass Effects simply points with quantity, it has lots of races and conflicts going on and each of them is interesting in its own way.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Hamz

Counterspells. That's a word you don't hear much, if at all, these days.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By endaround

The thing the annoys me the most is that all the decisions done on DA 2 are not due to sales.  DA:O outsold ME2.  Yes its on one more platform, but a fantasy setting, party based RPG sold extremely well.  All the changes for DA 2 started before DA:O was even out the door.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Gaff

I don't know.

To me, the old CRPGs were less about true strategy / tactics and more about "breaking the game" (twinking), especially in the DnD 2.0 to 3.5 based games. Roll a wizard, stack everything in Int, have fun picking your bonus spells (Colour Spray, Burning Hands, Magic Missile, 20 square radius Fireball) and hit the major Rest button after every encounter to get the 8 hours needed to prepare and re-memorise your spells. Man, casters were such dicks before 4.0.

On the other hand, boiling things down to the lowest common denominator sacrifices a lot of depth in the combat system.

The only thing I do know is that people like different things in games, and that they deserve to be catered to, just like everyone else.

NarcolepticBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By NarcolepticBat

It amazes me that you don't write for your own sites even though you jumped around your general thesis a bit and it ended off track (although a high note), This was very well written and I can't wait to hop into DA after this.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By GreggD
    @snide: Dave, I was playing Baldur's Gate 2 and stopped due to a little boredom. I played through most of the first game and imported my character, and I've dabbled in all of the Infinity Engine games. Can you please reassure me that this game will get far more interesting if I stick with it?
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GreggD:  While I'm not Dave, I would still recommend you stick with it, at least for me the game picks up after I've played it for awhile. There are lots of mods out there which can help and make your experience more enjoyable, if I remember correctly there was a guide somewhere which would help you get the ultimate experience, I've forgotten where though.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#138  Edited By Fallen189

This thread has a weird disonance in it, I'll try to explain. 

I'm half and half on your opinion. While I also grew up playing a lot of old ass CRPGS, I kinda just adapted with the times, and as much as it sucks, that's progress. What  I find weird about the thread is your hierarchy on Giantbomb. It's not that you're staff persay. It's because you're Dave. Not to infer that's a slant, because I really think you're a swell guy, but for those of us who've been around for a while, we're aware of your penchant for nostalgia for old PC games. I know that comes being a PC gamer and seeing development, I was there too. However, I wonder how well this thread would have gone down if say, a random user posted it. 

I imagine if a somewhat established user said it, like Sweep, or Hamz. I bet it would be different than if Billy no name stated the following points, and for that, I'm finding everyone else's answers to be somewhat...skewed. Not to imply anything, I just think because it's "Fun Dave" that stated this exceptionally well reasoned argument (Even if I disagree with one or two things) that the response is largely people agreeing to the most part. 

I think, like you said, that the age of CRPG lovers is coming to an end. Not because they're not good, because they're still totally radical. But imagine if...someone who was born in the early 90's, or even a young teenager tried to play them now. (Before people pick up on me, I'm not saying "Oh Kids are dumb", please). I just believe that their age has gone simply because they've aged, even within their own established style (There's a word I'm thinking of here, forgive me for sounding like an oaf). By todays standards, they're just TOO archaic. Because, for the most part, they run on D&D rules, they're very obtuse to get into for someone who doesn't already know about them. What I refer to by "Their own style/genre" is the way that D&D style games work, as I'm sure you know. I'll elucidate with an anecdote of my own from recently. 

I tried to play Neverwinter Nights 2 recently. It runs on the 3.5 D&D rules, modified for a videogame. Even to someone who's used to them, the change in the ruleset left me very frustrated and not necessarily betrayed, that would be a crass statement. They've just evolved not necessarily "Forward", but more "Sideways". I just think things have become a lot more streamlined in modern PC RPGS, that for someone who isn't already invested, it's an almost impenetrable wall. Comparing Dragon Age to NWN even. I'd obviously pick a higher grade material weapon, because it's obvious that it's better. But trying to explain to my girlfriend when we were playing NWN2 the difference in comparable outcomes between a 2D5 and a 3D4 was as though I was speaking a language she didn't understand. 

This turned into quite an essay actually, I apologise for the length, I beileve I've rambled on long enough. I hope you can disseminate my points from this messy post. 

All the best, Dave. 

Make way evil! I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!     

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Hailinel
    @Gaff said:
    "The only thing I do know is that people like different things in games, and that they deserve to be catered to, just like everyone else. "
    This is very true.  And it always bothers me to hear non-fans of a genre bitch and moan about how a particular game that they don't like should be dramatically different in so many ways so that it can appeal to their tastes while ignoring the fans that like the game as it is.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By RVonE
    @Fallen189:
    Wow, nice post. I think I agree with your sentiment. I... I have to think about it for a while.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By GreggD
    @TheSeductiveMoose: I'm trying to romance the Russian elf, though I can't recall her name right now. Other than that, I'm just looking for things to do. I've got enough cash to rescue the person that needs rescuing (I'll leave out any potential spoilers), but before that I'm just doing whatever needs doing. Hopefully it'll pick up after I use my funds to rescue them.
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Gregomasta
    @snide: I respect and agree man.  I started both a replay for ME2 and DA on harder difficulty's.  DA's replay was more rewarding because of the different choice of my main changed my party which changed the game for me.  I brought in an archer and dual swordsman and my guy was a wizard healer.  Discovering new combat choices strategys were rejuvenating.  Mass effect 2 though came together so beautifully, everything clicked, shit was poppin off in a way that DA didn't.  Different games, both great.  I'm glad they gave us awakening.  I'm still real excited to see DA2 though.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Aetheldod
    @snide:  You are wrong ... Mass Effect was always meant to be an hybrid , it is  an excelent game and I say that the people that complain that in this games you dont use your brains are liars , you actually have to think faster to adjust to the evolving situation , so you dont like just say so , dont say that the game is bad because you dont like the way it plays , you RPGelitist are indeed a bad thing and a hindrance to new types of gameplays , HYBRIDS!!!!!! Also to the loot maniacs , there is loot in ME 2 in form of blue prints and new weapon models , and not every RPG must have 3000 billions things to grab were only 10 are good and the rest is garbage , you already have your games like that leave the rest of us with the hybrids
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By dragonzord
    @gike987 said:
    " People are way to defensive about ME2.  I'm really starting to hate ME2, not because I don't like the game but because of the ridiculous fanboys attacking people for not calling it the best game ever. "
    Dude, that's Bioware fanboys in general. 

They're like how Square fanboys used to be.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By hockeymask27

TLDR :) 

Just kidding that was a great read. I for one like the Hybrid of shooter/RPG but that doesn't mean everyone has to.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Hailinel
    @Aetheldod said:
    " @snide:  You are wrong ... Mass Effect was always meant to be an hybrid , it is  an excelent game and I say that the people that complain that in this games you dont use your brains are liars , you actually have to think faster to adjust to the evolving situation , so you dont like just say so , dont say that the game is bad because you dont like the way it plays , you RPGelitist are indeed a bad thing and a hindrance to new types of gameplays , HYBRIDS!!!!!! Also to the loot maniacs , there is loot in ME 2 in form of blue prints and new weapon models , and not every RPG must have 3000 billions things to grab were only 10 are good and the rest is garbage , you already have your games like that leave the rest of us with the hybrids "
    Mass Effect 1 had far more in terms of traditional RPG mechanics than ME2.  I'd say that it's perfectly reasonable for any fan of Bioware's previous RPGs and ME1 in particular to be annoyed with the direction that ME2 took.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By NoXious

*shrug*
    Born in '87 and I fucking love Infinity Engine games. Still boot up Baldur's Gate 2 every now and then.
    To me, the whole daily casts of spells and preparing is awesome. It adds so much strategy to what otherwise tends to be a "spam spell X" like in DA:O.
    Protection from Evil and casting Gate, Spell Triggers containing Doom and a selection of throw spell on yer Cleric/Mage multi-class...

There's literally too much that I don't just have fond memories of, but simply miss. Dungeons and Dragons should be featured in a more PnP manner!
    But despite all that love for CRPG, I still love a compelling story. And Mass Effect 2 offers it.

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Simulacrum

It is a shame that you don't really see games like Planescape: Torment anymore.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#149  Edited By JJWeatherman

I can understand your point of view, but I'm someone that can (and has) appreciate(d) both styles. After beating ME2 and naming it my personal GOTY, I've recently started Dragon Age and am enjoying it just as much. It is a bit sad because you're right, there may not be any more CRPGs for a while. All we can do is hope that they make a comeback similar to the way SSFIV did it for fighting games. In the meantime though, I'll continue to greatly enjoy the genres evolution.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Hailinel
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I can understand your point of view, but I'm someone that can (and has) appreciate(d) both styles. After beating ME2 and naming it my personal GOTY, I've recently started Dragon Age and am enjoying it just as much. It is a bit sad because you're right, there may not be any more CRPGs for a while. All we can do is hope that they make a comeback similar to the way SSFIV did it for fighting games. In the meantime though, I'll continue to greatly enjoy the genres evolution. "
    As someone that enjoys RPGs, both in terms of their stories and their traditional mechanics, it's disheartening to see ME2 lauded with such praise as an RPG because Dave is right in a way.  It's less an RPG than it is a shooter with some RPG trappings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.