Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Would a different looking Shepard ruin the experience for you?

• 71 results
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jasta

I've played right through both games with my Shepard now and loved every minute of it. But when I started a new game and my Shepard had a different appearance I just couldint to get into it nearly as much, simply because I was so attached to my original one.

It just wasint MY Shepard.

Has this happend to anyone else?

(forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere)

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yes. Anything except default male Shepard looks wierd. I'm even having a hard time adjusting to female Shepard.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

Sort of. I made a new character for ME2 but I didn't have the will to replay the game with a new character. 

Though to be fair, I did change my character's appearance in the beginning.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I don't think I pick it up again if I couldn't use my John Locke Shepard, he's perfect. Although I'm not really playing much anyway, just can't get into it, I'm a few hours in, I should go back at some point.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By meteora
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Yes. Anything except default male Shepard looks wierd. I'm even having a hard time adjusting to female Shepard. "
    Consequently, I'm the very opposite. I can't play a male Shepard.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

I could care less about his/her appearance, Shepard is still a BAMF no matter what he looks like.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Meteora said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

" Yes. Anything except default male Shepard looks wierd. I'm even having a hard time adjusting to female Shepard. "
    Consequently, I'm the very opposite. I can't play a male Shepard. "
    I don't know. I mean, while Bioware gives you the option to create your own Shepard, they clearly meant for default male to be the correct one. Otherwise why would the put him on the cover? At least that's how I feel. If they wanted to have him remain faceless, then they could have created many clever boxarts, that never showed his face. However, when playing the female, I never use the default. The default female doesn't look any better then a custom female would.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By meteora
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Meteora said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

I don't know. I mean, while Bioware gives you the option to create your own Shepard, they clearly meant for default male to be the correct one. Otherwise why would the put him on the cover? At least that's how I feel. If they wanted to have him remain faceless, then they could have created many clever boxarts, that never showed his face. However, when playing the female, I never use the default. The default female doesn't look any better then a custom female would. "
    Well, having a blank Sheperd would be pretty hard to tell a compelling story in their trailers. You can use the default if you like or customize it to your liking. 

Its like Dragon Age with that kick ass protagonist that we never get to use in the real game.
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By stephengotlost

My Shepard is an asian-version of the default.
    I believe it fits very well. It's cool how custom-created characters can be taken seriously.

...unlike the mohawked squirt in Fallout and the blue dude in Oblivion.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Meteora said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Meteora said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

I don't know. I mean, while Bioware gives you the option to create your own Shepard, they clearly meant for default male to be the correct one. Otherwise why would the put him on the cover? At least that's how I feel. If they wanted to have him remain faceless, then they could have created many clever boxarts, that never showed his face. However, when playing the female, I never use the default. The default female doesn't look any better then a custom female would. "
    Well, having a blank Sheperd would be pretty hard to tell a compelling story in their trailers. You can use the default if you like or customize it to your liking.  Its like Dragon Age with that kick ass protagonist that we never get to use in the real game. "
    Nah, if it was just the trailers that were the problem, they could always have him wearing his N7 helmet like they did at the beginning of ME2. I'm not saying people shouldn't customize or whatever, but for me default male Shepard will always be the correct one.
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jasta
    @LiquidPrince said:

" @Meteora said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " Yes. Anything except default male Shepard looks wierd. I'm even having a hard time adjusting to female Shepard. "Consequently, I'm the very opposite. I can't play a male Shepard. "I don't know. I mean, while Bioware gives you the option to create your own Shepard, they clearly meant for default male to be the correct one. Otherwise why would the put him on the cover? At least that's how I feel. If they wanted to have him remain faceless, then they could have created many clever boxarts, that never showed his face. However, when playing the female, I never use the default. The default female doesn't look any better then a custom female would. "

I agree with you but I think the custom option really helped to make the playthrough unique for everyone who plays it to the end. Out of all the games with custom appearance options this is the only occasion I've felt some kind of emotional attachment to the character I created (as gay as that sounds.) Dragon age for example I couldint careless what my character looks like, maybe because of the lack of voice acting and general emoting.
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bibledoctor

Anything other than the default male Shepard kills it for me.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By MrKlorox

I'm putting off loading up ME1 on 360 and seeing if I can edit the apperance of my crafted Shepard, then loading up the PC version of ME2 right beside it and do a notch by notch transfer so I can finally get him on PC. Just too lazy and worried I won't be able to edit my original dude. After that I'll take the time to play ME2 with this ME1 save file that kinda resembles my playthrough.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jim_dandy

I prefer playing characters that look like me, so seeing a different Shepard weirds me out.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @jim_dandy said:
    " I prefer playing characters that look like me, so seeing a different Shepard weirds me out. "
    slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By slowbird

not really.  I have a main Shepard that I beat both games with twice, but I also have a couple others to try out different classes and stuff.  It's not that hard to adjust.  The toughest thing is switching from a Paragon Shepard to a Renegade Shepard; sometimes I have to fight the urge to do the "right" thing when the "LT" pops up on the screen.

SilentCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SilentCommando

Not really. Played the 1st time as a female and replaying it again as the default male. Enjoying both but I had to get used to the male Shepard's voice.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By Geno

Yes. Sometimes I see other people's Sheps and I'm just like "gosh, how did they play through the game with that?". The male Sheps especially don't do it for me. I also think that the female voicework >>> male voicework. 

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By damswedon

I tried to play as Poster Shepard, it felt wrong Lady Shepard is just right. But then I have the same problem with all games that let you create characters.

edge426

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By edge426

all of the custom shepards look weird compared to the stock shepard but thats just me.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By AgentJ

I have two different characters, so no. 

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I use default all the time.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By c1337us

No I could play as different Shepards no worries.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By haggis

Since I never used the default, I never got too accustomed to the regular male and female Sheps. My "ultimate" Shepard (the one where I'm doing everything in each game and sticking to the story as I want it to be) is a character I created and, I guess, feels right to me. I don't like the others I've created quite as well, but they don't feel wrong to me. The only thing that sometimes throws me is if the hairstyle is different, because that's basically the only distinguishing characteristic between characters (other than sex) through most of the actual game. We spend far more time looking at the backs of their heads than at their faces.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah. I remember after playing hours upon hours of the first one, and then watching a review where they didn't use the default Shepard face, and just found it totally off-putting to hear the same voice coming out of a different face. It's sort of like playing one Nolan North game, and then immediately playing another (which happened to me when I went from Uncharted 2 to Assassin's Creed II).  

Also, I like playing as the guy that's on the games' covers, and I can't help but think that the face that BioWare designed is going to animate better than the monstrosities that gamers make. 

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Garrus

I was playing both games today, friend imports Mass Effect 1 shepard, ugly as hell. FACIAL RECONSTRUCTION --- Oh god my eyes, so ugly, so very ugly.

Yeah poster Shep or default male shep is best. Xbox Version isn't so easy to create brilliant faces on though. I have seen some nice ones on PC version.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By Yummylee

No. I've played through the game with multiple different Shepards for both genders.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By newhaap

I've played through the game with 4 different Shepards, but you're right, I absolutely loved my first guy and lady Shepards. Playing with new Shepards feels weird but I can still go through the game with them.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DrPockets000

I had a Cancer Shepard in the first game but now he's got hair and stuff, I think it works.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ajamafalous

Anything other than Mark Vanderloo freaks me the hell out.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dillonwerner

If its not default male bad-ass Shepard, it doesn't feel like mass effect.  With the default male face on ALL of the ads, commercials, posters, and box art, i feel it just doesn't play as well with a different looking Shepard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, not the best screenshot as his face looks a little weird looking in this picture, but this is my Shepard.  And I mean, this is my  Shepard.  I think the default guy looks ultra weird, and it's weird looking at other people's Shepards. 

Bjorkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bjorkman

I played the game with my little male good-guy and it was awesome :) 
    But now that i'm playing through it with a female to get som achievements that i missed it feels... wrong, that b*tch aint my Sheppard!

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By apathylad

Yeah, I didn't care for the default Shepard design, so I changed it. 

Tobli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tobli

It depends on the choices i would want to make in the game i suppose. In ME1 i wanted to play full Renegade, and default male Shepard just doesn't look like a Renegade character. 
    Which is why my main Shep looks like a mean bastard with a scar, beard, red hair, and green eyes.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hourai

I always roll with default Shepard because anything I make looks hideous. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust

No, I played through ME1 three times and each Shepard looked different from the previous one.  When they imported to ME2, I didn't have any trouble readjusting myself to the differences between them again.  Now, if I had to play a Shepard that I didn't create in ME1, then I might have some difficulty, but then again, I can choose her likeness at the start anyway.    

@Geno said:

" Yes. Sometimes I see other people's Sheps and I'm just like "gosh, how did they play through the game with that?". The male Sheps especially don't do it for me. I also think that the female voicework >>> male voicework.  "
    I don't think I could ever get used to playing ME with a male Shepard.  Like I said, 3 times, 3 chicks.  In my mind, Shepard is a woman which is why I have no interest in the official canon of the game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

See guys, what you don't understand is that Catherine Shepard is a short, aggro looking chick with cropped red hair, a scar under her eye, thin lips and a permanent fuck you look on her face.  Because you have to look like that to be the hardest motherfucker in the galaxy.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I got two Shepards.

My female Adept and my male Vanguard.
    I experienced the wholes of ME1 and ME2 with them and they will feel fight for me.
    I also got an infiltrator chicka but she doesn't feel natural compared to the above two.

Avatar image for nikoalexander57
    NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NikoAlexander57

Yes, everyone else's Shephard I see that they have created from scratch looks like Shephard got hit with a baseball bat, or Brock Lesnar...or both.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep.  Playing anything other than default male Shepard would have me distracted the whole game.

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iKANNIBAL

What are you talking about? My custom character is even sexier than default shepherd.......and its based off me, i was surprised my shepherd came out looking just like me. He's perfect, i love em.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Dany

It doesn't bother me at all, I've played the games multiple times as male and female and different 'persons' each time

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Linkin10362

I prefer to play as the regular Shepard, but I can play as customs as well and be fine.

As long as he doesn't look like this...

No Caption Provided
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NTM
    @Jasta said:
    "

I've played right through both games with my Shepard now and loved every minute of it. But when I started a new game and my Shepard had a different appearance I just couldint to get into it nearly as much, simply because I was so attached to my original one.

It just wasint MY Shepard.

Has this happend to anyone else?

(forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere)

"

Ok, I'm sorry. I never say anything about people's way of typing, or grammar. But, can you not say "wasint", or couldint"? Instead couldn't or wouldn't. I can't stand that. And, yeah. you're right. I wouldn't be able to play through a game of Mass Effect with another chracter other than my first. Then again, I can't really get into Mass Effect again to go through it again as much as I try.
    Shenanigans19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Shenanigans19

I stuck with the default Shepard the first time I rolled through part 1. I tried using a different one the 2nd time but just seemed weird so I've stuck with the default.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Brendan

I think it's cool that people can create their own Shepard, and I've seen some alright looking ones to boot.  But default Shepard is based off a male model, and is in all the promotional material.  He is the only shepard in my book.
    deevster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deevster

I'm the kind of person who spends a lot of time creating a character in games like this. The way I made my Shephard is how I think he should look, and after putting in about 100 hours between the 2 games, watching anyone else play and still have that same voice just looks weird to me.

My Shephard is a battle hardened combat vet with a badass scar. Seeing my roomie play a Shephard that looks like someone just out of basic, no scars and a crew cut, just isn't right.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jasta

Im not really sure how to describe mine. I guess in my eyes he just looks like a person the other characters would look up to and his facial expressions are exactly what I think they should look like during dialogue etc. Its a hard thing to explain really.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.