Wow... ME2 first week PS3 sales are... very, very bad.

• 124 results
#1 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

I know that VGChartz isn't a very reliable source as their number aren't exact... but they're saying only around 88,000 copies of the game were sold in the first week. Being VGChartz, if you're looking for accurate results that may not be much to go on, but even if they post something THAT low you have to wonder where it came from. 

Where are all the PS3 gamers who said they wanted ME2? Surely there were more than 100,000. 

Source

#2 Posted by perilator666 (433 posts) -

The game has been out for so long that people who cares about Mass Effect have already played it on other platforms. I'm not terribly surprised. I've bought it on PS3 as well only because I has cash to waste.

#3 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

...Umm... did any of you guys know that it came out for PS3 already? This is news to me and I check out video game sites every day of my life. I'm guessing most people just don't know yet, so I don't think there's any real reason for concern right now. We'll see if they start to pick up soon.

#4 Posted by dagas (2744 posts) -

Most people who wanted to play it probably have a PC or 360. Also games tend to sell worse when you have a direct sequel to a game that is not available. Like how they released the second Xenosaga game in EU without releasing the first so no one cared since they could not get the whole story anyway. Just my guesses.

#5 Edited by xyzygy (9870 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero: It has reviews on the front page on pretty much every major gaming website, PSN would have been advertising it. It would have been in every new releases. The only real thing it didn't have was TV commercials. I find it hard for a game that is over a year old to "grow legs" per say. I think people have just moved on past Mass Effect 2. 

EDIT: It was advertised on Youtube a couple of weeks ago too, just remembered that I seen it
#6 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

That's what they get for denying rumors of a PS3 release I guess.

#7 Posted by PeasForFees (2408 posts) -

Yeah yeah, Sony sucks we get it, do you post about anything else?

#8 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -
@PeasForFees: Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis? Most of my posting seems to lean towards "ME2 sucks" actually :P
#9 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Always seemed eird they put the second one over without the first. 

I don't know a lot about video game sales, but is 88,000 really that bad? Assuming $60 a copy that's over $5M, I don't know how much work went into this but it is really just a port so it can't have cost that much?

#10 Posted by Eric_Buck (1290 posts) -

All i've got is a PS3, I would have loved the game but don't feel like buying it as I would rather play ME 1 first, as it doesn't seem worth it if you haven't/

#11 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/24670/fat-princess/  

According to vgachartz, Fat Princess sold 0 copies.  It's a very reliable site, indeed.  HINT: Mass Effect 2 is available on PSN, as well. 

#12 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

There really aren't many people who restrict themselves to ps3 only.   Quite possibly alot of people have both consoles or a PC in which to play Mass Effect 2 last year and it's really not interesting to buy another copy. 

#13 Edited by xyzygy (9870 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer: I didn't say it was reliable. I said it was unreliable, but those numbers had to have come from somewhere. And the fact that it opened at number 7 backs those estimates up. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood sold better than it and that game came out 3 months ago.
#14 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

" @teh_pwnzorer: I didn't say it was reliable. I said it was unreliable, but those numbers had to have come from somewhere. And the fact that it opened at number 7 backs those estimates up. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood sold better than it and that game came out 3 months ago. "

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/43819/limbo/  

Limbo sold 0 copies, as well.   
#15 Posted by FesteringNeon (2158 posts) -

Good, it's almost highway robbery charging full price for a game that's been out as long as it has, and has been marked down considerably everywhere else. I know they need to earn a buck, but they can't blame some of us feeling a little offended by their asking. 

I'll buy DA2 when it's released, but have no desire to rush out and pay full price for a year old game.

#16 Edited by NoCookiesForYou (754 posts) -
@zudthespud said:

" Always seemed eird they put the second one over without the first. "

Even if they wanted to, they couldn't. Microsoft was the publisher for ME1 360 version. Bet they have it somewhere in the contract that makes PS3 version impossible. 

To clarify, EA is the sole publisher of ME2. That makes the PS3 version possible.
#17 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
I think people have just moved on past Mass Effect 2.  "
Man, I guess I'm late to the party. I picked it up for $10 on Black Friday... got all the DLC when it was on sale for $7 during the XBL holiday sale, and I still haven't played it. Ha. I will soon, I promise!
#18 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

What did you really expect from a year old game that was out on PC and 360 and could be bought for as little as $10 on steam? Most people who wanted it have played it by now.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11646 posts) -

Well, the only reasons I can think of to buy it on PS3 are if you only have a PS3 and a PC with parts from 5+ years ago -or- if you're a die-hard Bioware/Mass Effect fan who wants the game on multiple platforms.

#20 Edited by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

I would've been surprised if it sold much more, really. Most people that would want to play it probably got it elsewhere already, and it seems like ME2 PS3 was a cheap, fast port that EA/Bioware decided to go ahead with to get a few more sales out of ME2 and as a way to keep people talking about Mass Effect. And yeah, VGChartz is usually pretty inaccurate, as said. It's probably a little over 100k.

#21 Edited by X19 (2304 posts) -

£48 on PSN, they're living in a dream world. 

I'm glad the sales are low because EA needs to see we arn't paying full price for a year old game.

#22 Posted by emem (1960 posts) -
@zudthespud said:
" Always seemed eird they put the second one over without the first.  I don't know a lot about video game sales, but is 88,000 really that bad? Assuming $60 a copy that's over $5M, I don't know how much work went into this but it is really just a port so it can't have cost that much? "
I don't it's that bad either.  

Just like some people already wrote, everyone who wanted to play ME2 and owns a 360 or a PC is done with it or on his/her 4th playthrough, so.. there's no reason to get the PS3 version. But I'd really like to know how many copies of the PS3 version Bioware was expecting to sell and if they are pleased with that number.
#23 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -

Plus, you can easily get the PC or the 360 version of Mass Effect 2 for under 10 quid, while the PS3 version costs 40.

#24 Posted by Mcfart (1537 posts) -

360 version is $10 at Future Shop (in Canada, even), and supports importing from ME1.

Why did 88000 buy the PS3 version again?

#25 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -
@emem said:
" @zudthespud said:
" Always seemed eird they put the second one over without the first.  I don't know a lot about video game sales, but is 88,000 really that bad? Assuming $60 a copy that's over $5M, I don't know how much work went into this but it is really just a port so it can't have cost that much? "
I don't it's that bad either.   Just like some people already wrote, everyone who wanted to play ME2 and owns a 360 or a PC is done with it or on his/her 4th playthrough, so.. there's no reason to get the PS3 version. But I'd really like to know how many copies of the PS3 version Bioware was expecting to sell and if they are pleased with that number. "
Well, I remember when ME2 launched and it sold around 1 million in it's first week on each platform, maybe a little more on the 360 side. I just know that the PC and 360 sales added up to 2 million. So I'd say this number is very tiny compared to those.
#26 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" I know that VGChartz isn't a very reliable source as their number aren't exact... but they're saying only around 88,000 copies of the game were sold in the first week. Being VGChartz, if you're looking for accurate results that may not be much to go on, but even if they post something THAT low you have to wonder where it came from. 

Where are all the PS3 gamers who said they wanted ME2? Surely there were more than 100,000. 

Source "
I imagine most people who were interested in the biggest game of last year made sure they played it. As a PS3 owner, I have no interest in playing it a year down the line at all. If I ever want to replay it, then I have the PC version to stick on.
#27 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

Multiplatform releases work best when released simultaneously. I don't think many of us expected the PS3 version of ME2 to sell millions of copies. Chances are, ME2 will sell slowly over a few months, with another spike when ME3 hits. Since it's been available for cheap on the 360 and PC, selling it at full price on the PS3 is an admission that only die-hard fans will buy it right now. That said, I suspect that their port was relatively cheap (basically importing ME2 assets into the ME3 engine), and that they'll easily recoup their investment between now and when ME3 is released. What they're doing now is basically priming the sales pump for ME3.

#28 Edited by D0tti (786 posts) -

As a PS3(consoles that is) only owner, I already played this game on my PC as soon as it got out last year, I considered buying it on PS3 and play it again, but didn't really feel like playing through it again and didn't even touch the DLC. Just feel that 1 playthrough is enough for this game since I was satisified with my choices first time through and the game would get kinda boring if I played through it again.

#29 Posted by RedRoach (1174 posts) -

Like most other people here said, the game has been out so long that most people who cared already found a way to play it. I don' think this is a failure on Bioware's part. This was most likely a cheap project, and there is no way they expected to make big money on this. I'm guessing that they made this not to be a success by itself, but merely to build a fan base so that ME3 sells well. I would think that sales would go up a few weeks before ME3 is releases.

#30 Posted by emem (1960 posts) -
@xyzygy: Yeah, when you compare those numbers I agree, but isn't "the hype" gone for some time now? I'm just saying that the number of people who only own a PS3 and would want to play ME2 is not that big.  

Most people I know who own a PS3 (and no 360) also own a PC and bought the PC version 6-12 months ago.. you didn't even need a high end gaming rig.
#31 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Should have been a budget title to be honest.

#32 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -

It's got all the DLC, people.  Hence the price.

#33 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -

The low sales are explained by the save file bug, a lot of people were losing their 30 hs saves and Bioware couldn't figure out why this was happening, if you have games like Dead Space 2 and LBP2 in your release window you are not going to bet on the glitchy game first. I'm sure sales will skyrocket with the first price cut, there is still time to beat the game before ME3. Nevertheless, Bioware needed a ME3 engine ps3 implementation to span that game and possibly other multiplatform TBA games so there is no real loss.

#34 Posted by el_tajij (705 posts) -

Well - I own a PS3 and a Mac (and a busted XBOX360) - so it hasn't been possible for me to play it - I'm sure there are quite a number of people out there who haven't been able to play it and use one console as their 'primary' console. I think one of the biggest problems is, at the biggest game store in my city, they didn't even have it on the shelves - I had to ask behind the counter.

Also, it's so fucking good it could have literally come out last week and make sense. It doesn't feel 'a year old' at all, and it absolutely pisses all over any other game that has come out in the last 12 months. I'm glad I've played it now - if I had got it last January no other game in 2010 would have felt any good.

#35 Posted by EndlessObsidian (473 posts) -

I found a 360 copy of ME2 for $20 in a bargain bin. The game is over a year old and $60 bucks for a retail copy for PS3. Who ever thought that this would sell "well" was living in a dream world.

#36 Posted by iGaboru (215 posts) -

Releasing a game 1 year later at 60€ is an insult to gamers.

#37 Posted by el_tajij (705 posts) -

I don't see the issue with paying a decent amount of money for a good product - save bug or not. Especially since they included the DLC and vamped up the engine.

#38 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

The game's been out on the PC and on the 360 for a year-- pretty much only the people who ONLY own a PS3 would be interested at this point...

#39 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -
@iGaboru said:
" Releasing a game 1 year later at 60€ is an insult to gamers. "

ALL THE DLC! 

I bet people would freak out less if they called it "Mass Effect 2: Game of the Year Edition."
#40 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -
@LordCmdrStryker said:
" @iGaboru said:

ALL THE DLC! 

I bet people would freak out less if they called it "Mass Effect 2: Game of the Year Edition." "
It's still cheaper on other platforms with all the DLC included. Not only that, they're releasing more DLC so it's hardly a Game of the Year Edition.
#41 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@LordCmdrStryker said:

" @iGaboru said:

ALL THE DLC! 

I bet people would freak out less if they called it "Mass Effect 2: Game of the Year Edition." "
Problem is the DLC isn't even that expensive, it's still cheaper to get the superior 360 version. Which is actually superior in more ways than just having ME1 importing... 

At least my PS3 has Demon's Souls.
#42 Posted by Hyperfludd (373 posts) -

Well, I only rented Mass Effect 2. I plan to buy it in the upcoming months when it hopefully gets as cheap as it's 360 counterpart. (And in time for the new DLC, too) 

Maybe some people have the same mentality as me?

#43 Posted by iGaboru (215 posts) -

Like many have stated, it's cheaper to get a superior version with all the DLC (provided you want it, which is incidentally not my case) than getting the 1 year later PS3 travesty of a port at full price. I ONLY have a PS3 so this is a problem for me.

#44 Posted by Jayzilla (2554 posts) -

So you are quoting a source that by your own admission isn't very good? come on OP, you can do better than that.

#45 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

I will buy it when the price drops.

#46 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Not that surprising when you think about it. 

#47 Edited by onarum (1994 posts) -

yeah, The only people who'll buy this are the ones that don't have a good PC or a 360, and of course weird people that buy the same game multiple times (seriously I don't get why people do this), so that doesn't account for much I guess, but I'm sure those numbers are not precise, they surely don't count PSN sales, so it could easily be double that value or even more. 

Still There's not much to be said about this, I'm sure bioware knew they wouldn't sell nearly as much as the original release did, after all many a ps3 owner have a 360 as well, so they either already played it, don't care or if ever felt the need to play would get the cheaper 360 version instead, also it took them too effin long to make this.......

I actually fall in this category, I don't have a 360 (I did have one, but it broke long before me2 came out and I didn't bother to fix it for the second time) or a good pc, I'm only buying if it goes to 40 bucks or less though, but since I'm saving for a gaming rig it's possible that by the time they lower the price I'll already have played it on the pc instead.

#48 Posted by AuthenticM (3695 posts) -

Everyone already has a copy of the game.

#49 Posted by Brendan (7667 posts) -

I don't see where the "too expensive" sentiment comes from.  The game has all the major DLC, which at regular price is about $100 bucks with the game.  Add in the comic and the fact that it's on the upgraded engine, and I think it's a very good "GOTY" style package plus some.  At any rate, I think Bioware's real goal with ME2 on the PS3 is to set up sales for ME3.

#50 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

PS3 owners are a smart bunch

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.