Wow... ME2 first week PS3 sales are... very, very bad.

• 124 results
#101 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -

No surprise since almost no one on my frind's list is playing it. Chances are if you wanted to play ME2, you've already done so on a 360 or a PC

#102 Posted by mordukai (7182 posts) -
@Jimbo said: 
" Maybe they should be making Mass Effect more like Dragon Age. "
Second that. Keep the combat system they want but just bring back the loot.  Bring back weapons mod slots. I seriously don't get why they made them class specific. 

@Enigma777 said:
" No surprise since almost no one on my frind's list is playing it. Chances are if you wanted to play ME2, you've already done so on a 360 or a PC "
Speak for yourself man. I have 6 people on my list playing it and according to msg's I'm getting more will. 
#103 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -

One of the reasons I bought a 360 was for the Mass Effect games.

#104 Posted by Sjosz (486 posts) -
@Brodehouse:  With Gears being such a system-seller, I doubt MS would be interested in a deal like they had regarding Mass Effect.
#105 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -
@Mordukai Uh... I was speaking for myself.

#106 Posted by mordukai (7182 posts) -
@Enigma777: GASP!
#107 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

How is close to 100,000 for a game thats a year old a bad thing first of all. Second of all was anyone really expecting a million units sold out of this thing on PS3? This is mainly meant for people to be able to get into Mass Effect 3 when it comes out.
#108 Posted by Milkman (17193 posts) -

That's weird. At least from these forums, it seemed like a lot of people were talking about it and playing through it.

#109 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

VGchartz should never be consulted for real sales numbers.

#110 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

Here's a game which your average PS3 owner has no idea exists due to the fact that there was never any PS3 mass Effect. Most won't just jump into a sequel for no reason.

#111 Posted by mordukai (7182 posts) -
@LordCmdrStryker said:
" It's got all the DLC, people.  Hence the price. "
Still no reason to sell it for full price. You can buy the 360 or PC version of the game with the same DLC combo and still come out cheaper. 
#112 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Well the game store I went into today had ME2 for the 360 for £5 and ME2 for the PS3 for £41 so I guess people just don't see it as good value.

#113 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer: Not sure if someone has said this already, but no service (not even NPD) tracks digital sales.
#114 Posted by hermes (1589 posts) -

No surprise: 
- The game has been out for over a year now. The only people that didn't had the chance to play it are PS3 exclusive gamers.
- There were a black friday, an amazon sale and a steam holidays sale in between that made the game really cheap. Someone with a decent gaming PC could find the game at 10$
- It was released at full retail price. Not only on disk, but the PSN version also costed 59.99 (plus taxes) 
- So far, its the worst version of the game. No wonder since they have to make it work on a new engine and had no time to patch it yet. 

Its no wonder why the game underperformed... Its like when The Orange Box was released for the PS3.

#115 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

This is exactly what I thought would happen. I am a PS3 owner (don't have Wii or 360), but I already played the game and all its DLC on PC. Therefore I have no reason to buy it again.

#116 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

That really sucks, but I imagine most people interested in ME already got it for 360 or PC

#117 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:
" How is close to 100,000 for a game thats a year old a bad thing first of all. Second of all was anyone really expecting a million units sold out of this thing on PS3? This is mainly meant for people to be able to get into Mass Effect 3 when it comes out. "
I'd agree with this, but then why did they put so much effort into releasing the game on the PS3 to the point where it's actually running on a new engine?  They could have done a quick port (that probably would have run better) and called it a day.  They obviously thought this was going to do better.
#118 Edited by NoCookiesForYou (765 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

" I'd agree with this, but then why did they put so much effort into releasing the game on the PS3 to the point where it's actually running on a new engine?  They could have done a quick port (that probably would have run better) and called it a day.  They obviously thought this was going to do better. "

Well what i have gathered, there really is no new engine. They just tweaked the already existing one. I think with the "new engine" and all the DLC that they have added to the package, they are just trying to justify the high price for it.
#119 Posted by mordukai (7182 posts) -
@Verb4tim said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:

" I'd agree with this, but then why did they put so much effort into releasing the game on the PS3 to the point where it's actually running on a new engine?  They could have done a quick port (that probably would have run better) and called it a day.  They obviously thought this was going to do better. "

Well what i have gathered, there really is no new engine. They just tweaked the already existing one. I think with the "new engine" and all the DLC that they have added to the package, they are just trying to justify the high price for it. "
in other words, or a word, Marketing!
#120 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1266 posts) -

I already bought it for the PC and 360. No need to buy it a third time!

I got it for the PC before I owned a 360.

#121 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

hardly surprising, its an old game that everyone that wanted to play it, already have

its the small minority that want to replay it or do not own a pc or a 360

if the sole purpose of this thread is to start a console war (sigh) then you can judge sales when mass effect 3 comes out

i do not want to participate in console wars, but i guess posting in this thread, i already have

#122 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind: 

I dont know if it would run better, the old code was heavily tied to the 360s archetecture. Also, UE 3 often has minor problems on PS3 anyway. I think they went with the ME 3 Engine so they could get a fieldtest on how it works and runs on PS3 tech.
#123 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

I have had a 360 and PS3 since their respective launch days. I bought the superior PC version of Mass Effect 2 on launch day over a year ago.

#124 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5381 posts) -

Wasn't my fault.  I bought it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.