Am I the only one who likes the new Mass Effect 3 endings?

#1 Posted by jerseyscum (926 posts) -

(THIS TOPIC WILL PROBABLY HAVE SPOILERS. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED)

I gotta say that Bioware might have unfucked the worst debacle and disappointment in recent gaming memory. The original endings were a pile of dogshit that basically answered nothing and was seen as a slap in the face to Mass Effect fans. I've honestly never seen this amount of backlash against a developer. People (including myself) were pissed. This wasn't just nerd rage and fanboys running amok, but justified anger and feelings of betrayal. I'd go so far to say that Bioware was in SERIOUS trouble with the gaming community as a whole. Bioware was in serious danger (and frankly still is) of gamers voting "No Confidence" with their wallets and not purchasing any new IP's they put out. There was a serious damage of trust between Bioware and their customers who legitimately felt like they were scammed. For fuck's sake, they even dragged poor Buzz Aldrin's good name through the mud where he implies that the whole saga was a old man recounting stories to his grandson.

I'm happy to report that all is (mostly) well with Mass Effect 3's endings. Even though I have a sneaking suspicion that thwey might of cribbed off Deus Ex (the first one) for the Control and Synthesis endings. I'm also happy to mention that you can now tell Starchild to basically go fuck himself. It doesn't turn out very well frankly, but at least you have that option.

Bioware is now forgiven. They listened to the fans and gave us what we wanted. Closure.

#2 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1148 posts) -

I think that a considerable portion of people really bought into the Indoctrination Theory, that they would not have been happy with anything other than that. The Extended Cut endings addressed the issues I had. The original endings lacked depth and explanation, and we got both of those. I never wanted the three choices to change, and I am glad that Bioware did not change them.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

You know they're robots because they have glowy eyes.

#4 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Yes. You are the only fucking goddamn human being in the fucking world who likes the EC. THE ONLY. FUCKING. PERSON.

#5 Edited by betusblues (40 posts) -

I was totally fine with the original endings so yea it was cool to see more cinematics. Also once Diablo 3 came out people forgot about ME and moved on to complain about that game,

#6 Posted by Toug (333 posts) -

I redid my ending and didn't find much difference. The little bit of extra narration at the end was fine, if unneeded. There was a really nice scene with Garrus (my romance) that I appreciated.

The extra explanation stuff with the starchild.... ehh. I never really needed anything more than what there was. They don't SUPER over-explain anything to their detriment, but I think I preferred the original version of that stuff.

Also, Krogan babies.

#7 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Ah yes, the classic "Am I the only one?" threads.

Hopefully it dies a flameful death

#8 Posted by Hyperglide (152 posts) -

OMG I LOVED IT THIS WAS THE BEST ENDING OF ALL TIME IT WAS SO SPECTACTULAR, SPENDIFEROUS AND TRIUMPHANT! HAS THERE EVER BEEN A BETTER ENDING IN VIDEO GAMES. BIOWARE ARE GENIUSES AND ALL THE HACKS AT VALVE SUCK AND CAN'T MAKE A GAME AND FINISH WHAT THEY STARTED TO SAVE THEIR LIVES! OMG OMG I'M SQUEEING LIKE A LIL GIRL AT XMAS WHO JUST GOT HER MY LIL PONIES COLLECTION COMPLETED. NOW I MUST WITHDRAW AS I NEED TO TOP UP MY CUP OF JOE AND GO TELL EVERYONE ELSE ON THE INTERNET THAT THEY CARE ABOUT MY OPINION.

Seriously. Move the fuck on.

#9 Posted by Brendan (8168 posts) -

Just flag for the thread title and move along folks.

#10 Posted by Irvandus (2899 posts) -

@Hyperglide said:

OMG I LOVED IT THIS WAS THE BEST ENDING OF ALL TIME IT WAS SO SPECTACTULAR, SPENDIFEROUS AND TRIUMPHANT! HAS THERE EVER BEEN A BETTER ENDING IN VIDEO GAMES. BIOWARE ARE GENIUSES AND ALL THE HACKS AT VALVE SUCK AND CAN'T MAKE A GAME AND FINISH WHAT THEY STARTED TO SAVE THEIR LIVES! OMG OMG I'M SQUEEING LIKE A LIL GIRL AT XMAS WHO JUST GOT HER MY LIL PONIES COLLECTION COMPLETED. NOW I MUST WITHDRAW AS I NEED TO TOP UP MY CUP OF JOE AND GO TELL EVERYONE ELSE ON THE INTERNET THAT THEY CARE ABOUT MY OPINION.

Seriously. Move the fuck on.

Typing in Caps does not make you cool. Even if you're using it to make a point. This argument, if you can call it that, could also be used on people that are complaining about the ending still. To be honest I'm tired of hearing both sides, as I've stated multiple times on GB and agree with you. If that's what you're going for. If your attacking because you didn't like the ending, quit being a dick. I think your saying your tired of hearing about it like me in which case I agree with you. Guess I'm just trying to say don't be a jerk but it's the internet so, eh.

Anyway I thought the new endings brought the old ones from Bad to Eh, Okay.

#11 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

Yes I liked it too. Closure itself wasn't necessarily important but the extended cutscenes show how different the choices were. But there are still a crapload of things that don't make sense and the fact that one choice overrides every other choice you have ever made in Mass Effect. But oh well, this is good enough.

#12 Posted by Blackout62 (1411 posts) -

@Toug said:

I redid my ending and didn't find much difference. The little bit of extra narration at the end was fine, if unneeded. There was a really nice scene with Garrus (my [bromance]) that I appreciated.

The extra explanation stuff with the starchild.... ehh. I never really needed anything more than what there was. They don't SUPER over-explain anything to their detriment, [which works I guess].

Also, Krogan babies[!]

This, this is my opinion more or less.

Dude Krogan babies, their cuter than they should be.

#13 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

I really like it. I'm going to be honest; when Liara (my LI) put Shepard's name tag on the wall I started tearing up.

#14 Posted by Aetheldod (3737 posts) -

No ... I liked them too :D , I was even moved by the new scenes (yes manly tears were involved ) and Bioware did unfucked a whole lot ... still wished for an actual end fight vs Harbinger but oh well :/ cant have it all

#15 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

I think I liked the tiny scenes with the Normandy that were in there just to fill plot holes, that stuff I really liked. Though it just made me think they should of been in the first time. But honestly, I felt rather indifferent about the finale. I didn't have the investment in seeing this ending as I did the first time. The first time I wanted to see how the journey would end for my Shepard. This time it was just me seeing the ending so I'd have one less ending to watch on youtube later.

#16 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

Yes people were pissed, but I seriously doubt many people were going to stop buying Bioware games simply because the ending to Mass Effect 3 was not what they expected. Face the facts: it doesn't matter what ending they make for Mass Effect 3, a lot of people are going to hate it because it will never live up to the expectation or the vision they imagined.

#17 Posted by PSNgamesun (414 posts) -

Can someone please tell me if bioware changed the Effective military stuff. Like how I needed 4000 or 5000 for my shep to live? Is that still the number or was that changed? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

#18 Posted by LiquidPrince (16183 posts) -

I liked the originals, and I like these.

#19 Posted by Quarters (1885 posts) -

@PSNgamesun: You only need 3100 now.

#20 Posted by chrissedoff (2167 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

@Hyperglide said:

OMG I LOVED IT THIS WAS THE BEST ENDING OF ALL TIME IT WAS SO SPECTACTULAR, SPENDIFEROUS AND TRIUMPHANT! HAS THERE EVER BEEN A BETTER ENDING IN VIDEO GAMES. BIOWARE ARE GENIUSES AND ALL THE HACKS AT VALVE SUCK AND CAN'T MAKE A GAME AND FINISH WHAT THEY STARTED TO SAVE THEIR LIVES! OMG OMG I'M SQUEEING LIKE A LIL GIRL AT XMAS WHO JUST GOT HER MY LIL PONIES COLLECTION COMPLETED. NOW I MUST WITHDRAW AS I NEED TO TOP UP MY CUP OF JOE AND GO TELL EVERYONE ELSE ON THE INTERNET THAT THEY CARE ABOUT MY OPINION.

Seriously. Move the fuck on.

Typing in Caps does not make you cool. Even if you're using it to make a point. This argument, if you can call it that, could also be used on people that are complaining about the ending still. To be honest I'm tired of hearing both sides, as I've stated multiple times on GB and agree with you. If that's what you're going for. If your attacking because you didn't like the ending, quit being a dick. I think your saying your tired of hearing about it like me in which case I agree with you. Guess I'm just trying to say don't be a jerk but it's the internet so, eh.

Anyway I thought the new endings brought the old ones from Bad to Eh, Okay.

If you guys are tired of hearing about the ending to Mass Effect 3, even though this extended cut literally came out just hours ago, then you shouldn't seek out threads discussing the subject, which is what you've been doing. This is like crashing a party and going, "Boy I sure am sick of people drinking Coors Lite!"

#21 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I haven't seen much of them yet. I got my Shepard to the place where I can choose the endings only to realize I don't have my Galactic Readiness at 100% and I didn't want to play the MP for ~5hours just to see if anything more is added after the Destroy ending again. I'll get to it eventually but ehh. I did look online and saw some of the new destroy ending but didn't watch it all cause it was a lady Shepard and that is already gonna make it different and less personal then I would hope mine would be.


Also, the refusal ending is fucking awful. Worse then the original endings with plot holes included.

#22 Posted by PSNgamesun (414 posts) -

Thxs 4 the help

#23 Posted by Aetheldod (3737 posts) -

@SuperWristBands: I disagree I think it is a good ending ... you may not like it , and I have the theory that the stargazers are decendants of the human and asari species :D ( as one of them is an asari)

#24 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

The extended cut is complete garbage because they straight up did what they said they wouldn't. They changed the fucking ending. No matter how you slice it most of the new scenes could not have happen with the old outcomes. A canonical Mass Effect 3 ending now simply does not exist for anyone. They caved into the fans, and now Bioware just look like hapless morons.

#25 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

@NekuCTR said:

The extended cut is complete garbage because they straight up did what they said they wouldn't. They changed the fucking ending. No matter how you slice it most of the new scenes could not have happen with the old outcomes. A canonical Mass Effect 3 ending now simply does not exist for anyone. They caved into the fans, and now Bioware just look like hapless morons.

What are you talking about? The endings are exactly the same with additional exposition, pretty much what they said it would be. The main differences: Shepard asks questions this time instead of nodding and accepting anything Catalyst tells him/her, and there's some connective tissue to all of the cutscenes that play out afterward. Also, they show what's happening on other planets, and your crew in a slideshow. Very little has changed.

And the new extended endings are canonical. I don't know if you get how "canon" works, but trust me on this one, it's canonical.

#26 Posted by mrpandaman (872 posts) -

@onan said:

@NekuCTR said:

The extended cut is complete garbage because they straight up did what they said they wouldn't. They changed the fucking ending. No matter how you slice it most of the new scenes could not have happen with the old outcomes. A canonical Mass Effect 3 ending now simply does not exist for anyone. They caved into the fans, and now Bioware just look like hapless morons.

What are you talking about? The endings are exactly the same with additional exposition, pretty much what they said it would be. The main differences: Shepard asks questions this time instead of nodding and accepting anything Catalyst tells him/her, and there's some connective tissue to all of the cutscenes that play out afterward. Also, they show what's happening on other planets, and your crew in a slideshow. Very little has changed.

And the new extended endings are canonical. I don't know if you get how "canon" works, but trust me on this one, it's canonical.

WTF is that dude talking about? Like you said onan, nothing changed. Some of the stuff in the EC ending I already figured out from the original endings.

So I want to know which new scenes could not have happened with the original ending?

#27 Posted by innacces14 (738 posts) -

@chrissedoff said:

If you guys are tired of hearing about the ending to Mass Effect 3, even though this extended cut literally came out just hours ago, then you shouldn't seek out threads discussing the subject, which is what you've been doing. This is like crashing a party and going, "Boy I sure am sick of people drinking Coors Lite!"

Thank you very much. *clears throat*

I liked the ending, but to be honest it was a bunch of theories that I already kind of had going. I finished my first run-through knowing I had to sleep on it and think about what the fuck just happened. It was poorly written and loose, yes, but the intentions were pretty clear. I hated the term Starchild as it invokes this godlike entity and people were already dubbing it as a Deus Ex Machina. Well when you think about it the Crucible is the game's Deus Ex Machina considering how it conveniently showed up 3 hours into the third game in the trilogy. Shepard said it him/herself "Why now?". On top of that how hell could there NOT be a crucible.

We're going billions of years into an existence that involves the genocide of advanced civilizations that built their society on the technology of those that's wiping them out. How could there NOT be a Crucible coming from one of those cycles? How could one of those cycles NOT have used the Crucible as a USB flash drive to the Catalyst's PC? How could they NOT have used the Catalyst as a way to force a hostile AI to give organics the reigns that control the reapers?

But back to the Starchild being this godlike figure; dudes? An AI. How could it NOT be an AI? It was an AI that was created to solve the question that asks "how do I stop my toaster from learning the ABCs". It is not surprising that the Catalyst said "well fuck advanced civilizations", but I find it interesting that it had the heart to stop somewhere to let other species grow. This is basically what would happen if the AI in The Last Questionturned against it's creators.

It answered questions that I already gave myself a little dumb fan fiction to. Original ending was written poorly. That is an absolute, but the EC ending ruins a sense of imagination. I hate how the ending basically said "yeah, synthesis ending allowed everyone to learn shit from the Reapers which will eventually bring the Mass Relays up to snuff in I say abouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut... 20 years" rather than the thrill of sleeping that night and thinking "man, it might take thousands of years just to reverse engineer that stuff... wonder what will happen when they come into contact again." I really really liked that first ending, warts and all. It was open-ended and allowed my imagination to run wild.

#28 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

AM I THE ONLY ONE

#29 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

@onan said:

@NekuCTR said:

The extended cut is complete garbage because they straight up did what they said they wouldn't. They changed the fucking ending. No matter how you slice it most of the new scenes could not have happen with the old outcomes. A canonical Mass Effect 3 ending now simply does not exist for anyone. They caved into the fans, and now Bioware just look like hapless morons.

What are you talking about? The endings are exactly the same with additional exposition, pretty much what they said it would be. The main differences: Shepard asks questions this time instead of nodding and accepting anything Catalyst tells him/her, and there's some connective tissue to all of the cutscenes that play out afterward. Also, they show what's happening on other planets, and your crew in a slideshow. Very little has changed.

And the new extended endings are canonical. I don't know if you get how "canon" works, but trust me on this one, it's canonical.

In none of the endings do the mass effect relays blow up. There is never any hint at negative affects, and in synthesis everyone in the galaxy turns out to be fine with having their DNA changed by a single person. If they didn't change the scenarios they made them much more pandering.

In the new destruction ending specifically the soldiers on earth were not killed. It made since because soldiers have enhancment implants, and biotics have chips in their brains. Destroying technology would rip them apart. There were pros, and cons to every decision like there would be in real life if you set a weapon to affect every star in the galaxy. Instead we get a bunch of scenarios where everything is happy, and nothing will ever go wrong again. Also there is no reference that they lost technology, and they would just rebuild, no prob.

#30 Posted by Subjugation (4743 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

AM I THE ONLY ONE

#31 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

@NekuCTR said:

@onan said:

@NekuCTR said:

The extended cut is complete garbage because they straight up did what they said they wouldn't. They changed the fucking ending. No matter how you slice it most of the new scenes could not have happen with the old outcomes. A canonical Mass Effect 3 ending now simply does not exist for anyone. They caved into the fans, and now Bioware just look like hapless morons.

What are you talking about? The endings are exactly the same with additional exposition, pretty much what they said it would be. The main differences: Shepard asks questions this time instead of nodding and accepting anything Catalyst tells him/her, and there's some connective tissue to all of the cutscenes that play out afterward. Also, they show what's happening on other planets, and your crew in a slideshow. Very little has changed.

And the new extended endings are canonical. I don't know if you get how "canon" works, but trust me on this one, it's canonical.

In none of the endings do the mass effect relays blow up. There is never any hint at negative affects, and in synthesis everyone in the galaxy turns out to be fine with having their DNA changed by a single person. If they didn't change the scenarios they made them much more pandering.

In the new destruction ending specifically the soldiers on earth were not killed. It made since because soldiers have enhancment implants, and biotics have chips in their brains. Destroying technology would rip them apart. There were pros, and cons to every decision like there would be in real life if you set a weapon to affect every star in the galaxy. Instead we get a bunch of scenarios where everything is happy, and nothing will ever go wrong again. Also there is no reference that they lost technology, and they would just rebuild, no prob.

Not sure if you're aware, but there are different "Destroy" endings based on your galactic readiness rating. I forget the numbers, but I think over 5,000 makes everyone survive, and under 3,000 (I'm making numbers up) means life gets wiped out on Earth. The updated endings change the numbers (specifically I think to make it so if you don't play multiplayer, you can still get the best ending), so your shitty ending where people died might now be high enough to get one where everyone is happy. and the Reapers fall over dead. Those endings aren't new.

They screwed up and probably intended originally for the relays to just blow up a little, but they cut away from them originally and people just assumed they blew up like the relay from The Arrival. They cleared that up. Their intention must have always been to just damage them a little, because they wouldn't leave that up to chance while planning for the next game set in that universe.

The danger of biotic amps, as I understand it, is removal and insertion. If it just ceases to work, then a biotic just wouldn't have power... at least not much more than being able to mentally pick up a coin off a table or something. Or maybe all enhanced biotics die as a result, who knows.

They didn't show anything new, they just spelled out some stuff they left to speculation before. The green space magic is still silly, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.