Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

AMA: Mass Effect 3 demo + thoughts

• 125 results
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Dany

Early access to the demo (singleplayer only) on the xbox 360 is limited to experzone microsoft customers along with those who can get a code out of here

So if you can get a code then great! Post your thoughts on the demo here or ask questions and hopefully I or others can can answer them!

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SteamPunkJin

You can also hit up Facebook.com/xboxuk and run their funky little app. I just got a demo code - it's downloading and I can't wait.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dany

@SteamPunkJin: Yeah, that is where the link I posted goes to. That is how I got it, so excited, :) I am only at the home with the xbox today then I'm away for a month!

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Whoops. I read ExpertZone and then figured I should let people know about the other ways. Sorry.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By rjayb89

So, did you like it? PS I like the fellow in your avatar.

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Aelric

Sooo, how is it? I imagine it's just the intro and combat. They likely wouldn't put story much dialogue or save game import stuff in their demo. Just me the scoop.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

nice i just got a code. *edit* updated post with a video i made for people who can't play it right now but want to see what it looks like.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

I'm doing the app thing now on Facebook. I hate Facebook tie-ins so damn much. Just give us the fucking demo you jheri curling wankers.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Got a Normandy Ship avatar item the first try and the demo code the second try. Yay for fake Facebook accounts.

Oh wow, it seems like they're trying to appeal to every audience with this game. Don't know if this will turn out well. Also the menus feel super fucking laggy, although I never played ME on a console.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sooty

Yeah it feels somewhat rough, especially the menus. Graphics seem like they are a step down too but hey it's a demo.

I didn't like how Vega seemed as if he was your friend, when he's a character that has come out of nowhere, also Shepherd looks weird when he runs. Didn't like that they added hit markers like Call of Duty but now I'm just nitpicking.

Edit: Also they totally made Anderson blacker! Sup with that?! The game seems darker overall, not in terms of tone, just visually, I don't really like that.

WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah and the rifle spread is super tight, I don't remember it being that accurate in past games. I can go full auto and it's super easy to control the recoil, even on a gamepad. Also, there being no good full beards in this game is a major disappointment.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rjayb89
    • The textures on Anderson's face finally popped in, he's a bit more grungier than I'm used to.
    • I really liked the music, on the menu screen and when that kid gets fucked up in that Alliance vessel.
    • Improved mobility was familiar enough that I thought shooting and Vanguarding my way through was pretty easy.
    • There appears to be some lag when I'm traversing the menus.
    • FemShep is alright.
    • I continue to be excited.
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume when this demo goes public, or shortly before it goes public there will be some multiplayer, because it fails to connect to the Origin servers for me.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Got a code as well, no idea if it was luck or something like that but I failed on attempt 1 and 2 but got a code on 3. Is it scripted or something?

Also, how can this be re-downloaded from another console with the same account signed in?

WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JoyfullOFrockets:

I think what reward you get depends on what attempt you successfully decrypt. There seems to be three awards (Normandy Avatar Item, T-Shirt, Demo code) When I won the avatar item I got it on my first attempt, when I got the demo I got it on my third attempt.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rjayb89

I got that demo on my very first try. I didn't even know what I was doing.

JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@JoyfullOFrockets:

I think what reward you get depends on what attempt you successfully decrypt. There seems to be three awards (Normandy Avatar Item, T-Shirt, Demo code) When I won the avatar item I got it on my first attempt, when I got the demo I got it on my third attempt.

Well, the post above indicates that's not the case.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dany

As a long time fan to the series, I enjoyed the demo. The game isn't something different or radical. The shift from ME2 to ME3 is smaller. The music is really well done, some nice synth where needed but man, that score is is great. The end of earth as you get on the Normandy, so great. The pacing of the demo felt fast, like really fast. 80% of the words out of Shepards mouth were not chosen, she just said them, also it felt as if they cut a lot of the 'investigate options or totally removed some conversations for pacing.

The gunplay is better and more responsive, I really like the sounds the guns make, I've heard some folks disliking them but they sound like they'd make an impact. The movement is faster and shepard is mobile. The only issue that I've come across is that when your in a combat area where you can roll, jump, switch to cover, jump over cover, stick to cover; that the game play has a hard time trying to make sense of which 'action' I wanted to take. Made some of that korgon missions harder than it needed to be.

Enemies are smarter with smoke grenades, flanking and using shields. Leaving up past 3 gives you a choice for each one from 4-6. So for one, I could be able to singularity a group then use grenades immediately in a 'combo' thing. It worked well.

The faces are much better, you see them emote being concerned, pensive and scared, especially that kid.

Beyond that, I enjoyed it, I want more Mass Effect and what they shown seems like they know I want that.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By papercut

Wait, how the hell does this facebook ap work? Is it just random?

JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I think the whole thing is just a not-so-blunt way of saying ''if you have gold, you can get the demo;'' seeing as it asks you for your gamertag before starting the decode.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    • Too much mapped to the A-Button: Action, Cover, Run, Roll, Revive I end up rolling a lot when I'm trying to do other things.
    • Run animations are kinda funny
    • Love the new Level-Up system, all of the choices are great and will leave me staring at the menu for way too long.
    • Grenades and MediGel having their own timers and not being tied to your powers makes sense, glad to see it.

Overall I really enjoyed it, looking forward to the MP being unlocked next week and then of course the full game in March.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

Loved it. It really does feel like the best of both ME1 and ME2, with a little more polish. Whilst the graphics didn't look as good as the stuff shown in trailers and screenshots - probably down to them being PC, I'd imagine - the animation has definitely had an upgrade - the emotions on faces, particularly shepards, really surprised me. I love the dynamic, 'cinematic' nature of the conversations - two people aren't just standing facing each other and having a dialogue, they're moving around, checking weapons, popping off shots, the camera is sweeping around - and that really leant to the pacing of it all. The gameplay feels fantastic, a lot smoother than even when I played the demo they had at GameFest in Birmingham last year (which was the Salarian homeworld bit, but they've added a lot more to it since then) - the guns have a nice feel to them, especially the mattock rifle. The enemies moved around a lot more, trying to flank, the A.I was much improved. And despite my reservations, the soundtrack was the highlight of it all: once again a mix of synthy ME1 style pieces and the stirring orchestration of ME2 (the 'battle' music on the salarian homeworld is GREAT!). 

I was really excited for ME3. Now I'm chomping at the bit for March 9th. Looking forward to see how the MP is when that bit goes live!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Marz

FemShep face looks a little weird, especially her mouth, it's like it barely moves when she talks. It's pretty much same stuff from the E3 presentation, but seems like it's gonna be a good game.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@SteamPunkJin: Agree so much with the A button point. To much rolling when I want to run/accept.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I agree with the A button too, I tried picking up something and it took Shepard 3 rolls and 2 cover manouvres to finally pick it up.
    Commanderp if you ask me.

Must say the level lay outs were a bit confusing at times and the combat still feels a bit off but I'm very impressed with presentation.
    I mean, the point where the Reapers appear on earth...I'm still shaking.

I dislike the fact the AI feels even more static now though, no way to speak to your partners mid mission and small conversations with them happened only in the no enemy segments...too obvious for my taste.
    Oh and I hope there's more choice in dialogue in the rest of the game, only two options and my Shepard did a lot of her own talking.
    Which is cool like Hawke did in DA2, but perhaps a tad too much and detaches from my vision (from what I experienced and build up in two games) of my Commander Shepard.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@TaliciaDragonsong: Big time. All nitpicking aside, the presentation has taken off to a new level. The conversations with Anderson when you are getting through the rubble inside was reaching Uncharted levels of fluidity and believable-ness.

Maaan and that last scene on earth with the reaper and the kid was so moving I was shocked at how much it affected me.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sooty

They really need to fix the menus. Spending skill points was quite painful with the sluggishness. 

This is just the E3 demo isn't it? I guess it's quite outdated..maybe. I still think the graphics seemed worse than ME2, and way darker. It has been a year since I played that game though. (and again it could just be the E3 build)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@WilltheMagicAsian: Mulitplayer is unlocked on the 17th.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Is this reddit?

Also why would you want to ruin you Mass Effect experience with the demo?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30  Edited By Phatmac

I keep pressing the launch button on the app and it keeps restarting the app. Anyone else having trouble with it?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sooty
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

Also why would you want to ruin you Mass Effect experience with the demo?

It's two missions where you do nothing but watch cutscenes and blow some people up, it's not really spoiling anything. Unless you forgot that the Reapers are coming. (aka you didn't play ME2) 

Actually I didn't finish the second mission because I had seen enough, wasn't that interested in continuing without my own character, and of course because it was just going to be more combat, but for a demo I guess they can't do too much else. (and I'm guessing it's action focused to appeal to the masses)
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rmanthorp said:

@TaliciaDragonsong: Big time. All nitpicking aside, the presentation has taken off to a new level. The conversations with Anderson when you are getting through the rubble inside was reaching Uncharted levels of fluidity and believable-ness.

Aaaye.
    I was in tears about ME2's opening scenes...but I think I was in tears from the moment the reapers landed until the end of that part of the demo.
    Fucking amazing.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sooty
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:

@rmanthorp said:

Aaaye. I was in tears about ME2's opening scenes...but I think I was in tears from the moment the reapers landed until the end of that part of the demo. Fucking amazing.
    I thought the music kicking in when the kid was in the vent was very melodramatic, I was really surprised they had the balls to kill the kid off after though. Bravo.
    I was expecting Shepard to swoop down and save the day.
    Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Alexandruxx

I thought you said ARMA... that's why I clicked...

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sooty said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:

@rmanthorp said:

Aaaye. I was in tears about ME2's opening scenes...but I think I was in tears from the moment the reapers landed until the end of that part of the demo. Fucking amazing.
    I thought the music kicking in when the kid was in the vent was very melodramatic, I was really surprised they had the balls to kill the kid off after though. Bravo. I was expecting Shepard to swoop down and save the day.
    Think they wanted to set the tone with the 'People are dying, no matter what' (like you could tell Anderson too during the rubble scene).
    Still hard to believe Shep's going off on a happy tour of the galaxy again and have him/her come back in time to 'save' earth.

If that does happen, I'll be a bit disappointed with the Reapers but my god, seeing them in the city and the water...insane!
    daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By daiphyer

Goddammit what a fantastic demo. Almost teared up at that last scene with that fucking amazing music and touching scenes. FUCKING FUCK I WANT THIS GAME NAOW

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShadyPingu

So I fire up Facebook for the first time in at least two years, and I get... an Avatar item. Great. Try again in 2 hours, I guess.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Phatmac

Nevermind I got in

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pissed because Cerberus is against you. I was hoping they would go the not obvious route and make the renegade option be a risk that pays off. Guess I was wrong. Gunna have to load another ME2 save on the character I want just to get the good ending now that I know illusive man is full of shit A.K.A

Overall, the music was good and leveling up was better then it was in 2. The combat still ain't amazing but it is definitely better. The run animation is fucking stupid though so I'm canceling my pre-order.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Phatmac

Faces still look weird, must be an earlier version or something. Hope it looks better.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NegativeCero
    @rjayb89

I got that demo on my very first try. I didn't even know what I was doing.

Same here, but that's okay because I don't care about avatar anything so I don't have to waste my time.
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Phatmac

WREX!!!!!!!!!!!!

r_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By r_eye

Was not impressed.

The only real improvement was the combat.

The graphics and facial animation still needs a lot of work.

I also don't understand why people are getting choked up with the kid's death.

He came out nowhere and we were supposed to care for him?

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#44  Edited By Mystyr_E

Didn't tear up with the kid scene but the Reaper appearance was pretty bad ass. Controls I felt were fine but the grenade indicator needed to be more pronounced. Like something more upfront like "dude there's a grenade, get out of the way" but I died out of nowhere from a random grenade.

Also Anderson's run animation is hilarious as hell

r_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By r_eye

I also thought that the camera was kinda too close to you.

And anyone else thought the graphics were a lot darker this time?

The vignette around the edges of screen didn't really help either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@r_eye: Great first post, duder.  Stupid kids, wasting our time with their lives.
    r_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By r_eye

What was so stupid about my first post?

I forgot to mention that I like the graphical improvements on the armors.

It was a pixelated mess in ME2.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Phatmac

Yeah the kid dying was a bit on the nose. Still you can see how fucked earth is, I didn't need the kid dying moment.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By Aetheldod

God damn it , Ive done the coder thing 4 times and I havent been able to unlock the codes D: !!!! What did you duders do to be able to crack it?

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#50  Edited By Mystyr_E

@Aetheldod: We clicked a couple of nodes, and to be really haXX0rs...we clicked another one :P

seriously, it's random, I didn't get mine yesterday. Today got mine on 2nd attempt so just keep at it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.