Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Another Giant Bombcast with shots fired at Mass Effect 3?

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By smcn

I'm shocked. Shocked! Well, not that shocked.

Mass Effect 3 should be game of the year to anyone who's not a total philistine. Hence, not that shocked.

- Signed, smcn after 3 rum & cokes and 2 fuzzy navels. I expect this thread will be locked and/or deleted by the time I wake up. Goodnight friends!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Except Journey and The Walking Dead both came out this year not to mention how fantastic Assassins Creed 3 is looking. I loved ME3 but it has steep fucking competition.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By bushpusherr

Doubt it will even be on the radar. Most of them felt (and I agree) that Mass Effect 2 was a much better game. Look at how much attention Uncharted 3 got last year? Not much, because the 2nd was better received.

Also, I don't think it should be near the top of the list anyway.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

ME3 had some good sections, but the story was disappointing compared to the past two games, the gameplay did nothing special and the ending was ridiculous. Considering the competition this year, I doubt it's even going to break the top 10 for most.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By BisonHero

Haha, yeah they pretty clearly implied that it had a shot at "Biggest Disappointment" except now RE6 is likely going to steal that category.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Tylea002

@smcn said:

Mass Effect 3 should be game of the year to anyone who's not a total philistine. Hence, not that shocked

Isn't that far more of an overreaction than most people's to ME3. Outside from much fan backlash from extreme fans, there were a lot of sensible people just disappointed with a game that should have been better. GOTY is about impact more than quality. It did not make a positive impact on many people, including the bombcastees, and it won't come anywhere near the top 10. Maybe 10 or 9 for a couple, but seriously.

Walking Dead, man.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By neurotic

@BisonHero said:

Haha, yeah they pretty clearly implied that it had a shot at "Biggest Disappointment" except now RE6 is likely going to steal that category.

What he said. Although, I feel like when they were discussing ME3 back in March they didn't consider it to be a huge disappointment and Jeff thought the ending was okay if not a little rushed. Of course, I'm sure that ME3 would win many, many people's 'Biggest Disappointment' category but that shouldn't be a factor for them. I liked Mass Effect 3 but it was not as good as 2, so if it were to win GOTY, it'd be a pretty lacklustre year overall.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Patrick's filibuster on why Tokyo Jungle should win a la Brad's with Skyrim.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I like Mass Effect 3 more than most people, but you have to admit that game has quite a few issues, even beyond the ending (cough, fetch quests, cough).

It may be some people's game of the year, but unless Brad plays it and absolutely loves it, I don't think it's even going to get much mention during their end of year award discussions. As has been said here, RE6 is pretty much locked in to win biggest disappointment (unless ACIII is garbage, but I doubt that), and Nolan North isn't in it, so I can't see it winning anything from GB (unless they concoct some weird award like Biggest Controversy Over Nothing, but there's probably something else that could take that).

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Anupsis

Not game of the year material to a lot of us, I am glad you liked it, but get used to it being snubbed. It was a good game, not a great one.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By connerthekewlkid

so the dead horse can never rest in peace huh?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Mass Effect 3 is a disappointment in that it's not as good as Mass Effect 2; 2010's Game of the Year. I think you could pin the exact thing on Uncharted 3 from last year, or even Arkham City. Or Modern Warfare 3. But while all of these are fundamentally good games that fail to eclipse their predecessors, Resident Evil 6 fails at even being a good game.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By alternate

"shots fired" has become shots tired as an over used phrase on here.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Phatmac

Mass Effect 3 is incredibly disappointing. Remember what you thought me3 would be after me2 and than compare notes on how you feel about me3 right now. I like most parts of me3 but it isn't as great as previous games in the franchise. It's a good choice for biggest disappointment.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hitchenson

@smcn said:

Mass Effect 3 should be game of the year to anyone who's not a total philistine.

Pfahaha, oh that's golden.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By iamjohn

I've posted worse, far less cogent threads while drunk.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Christoffer

I really liked ze multiplayer for a while but I can't even remember most of the single player. A huge disappointment for me... I think. As i said, can't really remember.

You flew around in space, gathered crew members, made insignifant errands despite impending doom, screwed aliens and then "screwed" aliens... or am I thinking of ME2?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DeF

The game is still really really good but GOTY? By no measure, no. Not even in the running.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Elazul

I'm a huge Mass Effect fan and thought ME3 was totally solid, but there have been at least a couple of games this year that I've enjoyed more.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Drebin_893

This almost seems like a cry for attention.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AngelN7

I like ME3 but the game has some problems you can't overlook and the plot isn't as well told , frankly Journey does have a better story .I can't say walking dead because that game has it pretty easy when it comes to the whole "dealing with choices" since is a point an click game they don't have to worry about much in the gameplay department ...and you complain about this now because? have they even talk about Mass Effect 3 lately or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually believe that so far ME3 has been the best to come out along side Max Payne; but the strong titles are about to come out so i just have to wait and see. Still this year has been a really weak year in gaming; just the download games have been somewhat strong with journey and walking dead games.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BaneFireLord

Uhhhhhhhhhh.........

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By golguin

The thing is that ME3 didn't meet expectations. The combat was improved and I played a hell of a lot of multiplayer. The story had it's moments, but it wasn't really what people imagined the ending would be like after all the decisions made in the past two games. For example I had imagined big things with the rachni where they would make their big entrance during some fight and just swarm over some reaper.

The Walking Dead has ME3 beat on story. There is no debate on that. The question is what will Jeff say since he really doesn't like zombies and doesn't seem to care for The Walking Dead fiction.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

Mass Effect 3 is a disappointment in that it's not as good as Mass Effect 2; 2010's Game of the Year. I think you could pin the exact thing on Uncharted 3 from last year, or even Arkham City. Or Modern Warfare 3. But while all of these are fundamentally good games that fail to eclipse their predecessors, Resident Evil 6 fails at even being a good game.

But judging by the previews and everything that led up to the launch, it didn't seem like people had the utmost level of confidence that RE6 would be able to deliver. ME3, by comparison, was still riding high on what remained of Bioware's aura of invincibility right up until release.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By project343

@WinterSnowblind: Did you just argue that Mass Effect 2 had a better story than Mass Effect 3? The fuck. Even with the shitty ending, Mass Effect 3's narrative is far more than a setup to meet great characters--there is some compelling shit in there.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By joshthebear

Ugh. If I never hear about ME3 again it'll be too soon.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I like ME3. I hope Brad plays it as i'd be curious to hear his thoughts.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#29  Edited By pyromagnestir

I've only played 2 games that will be eligible for the 2012 GOTY awards, so far, Mass Effect 3 and Journey, and I still think you're wrong. And I liked Mass Effect 3. Occasionally loved it. But I don't even think it should be in the top 10 come years end. If there aren't 10 better games released this year, than this year will have been quite a disappointing year.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By AndrewB

A game doesn't even have to be bad to be a disappointment. You build up a franchise with two excellent games and the third and "final" one ends up not performing on some level, and even if it's a fun game to play it can be considered a disappointment. I'm certainly not a huge Mass Effect 3 hater, but I'd definitely call it a disappointment considering the second game has to be up there on my all-time favorite games list, and I can say that's why it's not even in my thoughts when working out a "game of the year" list in my head.

But I mean... personal preferences and all...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

But judging by the previews and everything that led up to the launch, it didn't seem like people had the utmost level of confidence that RE6 would be able to deliver. ME3, by comparison, was still riding high on what remained of Bioware's aura of invincibility right up until release.

Baloney. People were on that game's ass for daring to exist from the moment it was announced. Trying to say that game had positive public perception at any point nearing release is either intentional misrepresentation, or candid false memory.
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By ShaggE

Ending aside, I loved ME3. But not being, y'know, a manchild, I'm not going to insult people for disliking it.

Tobli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tobli

I loved ME1 & ME2, but ME3......yeah. Let's just say i lost my interest in the franchise after three. So it kind of deserves it.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By laserbolts

I'm not sure about GOTY but I could defiantly see it in the top 10. I thought the game was great by the way.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ares42

Even ignoring the big debacle there's no denying that ME3 was mostly just a string of combat arenas with fine (but not in any way exceptional) shooting. I mean, I absolutely love what they did with some of the character archs etc, but I had serious problems just getting through the game because I got tired of the gameplay.

I still find it puzzling that people think turning this series into a shooter was good for it. Basically every single person I know that loved Mass Effect got sold on the series by the first few hours of the game, when you're roaming around on a big freaking space station just absorbing this great world and combat was only small encounters happening to portray conflicts in the story.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Ruiner

Mass Effect 3 was a C+ sequel to two A games... and not as good as Walking Dead, Torchlight 2, Mark of the Ninja, or even Sleeping Dogs in my opinion...

DrStrangepork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DrStrangepork

I could put ME3 as my biggest disappointment of the year. It's not a bad game but not to the standards of the previous 2 games. It would have to do a lot to top ME2 but I felt the predictable story and the constant feel that every level was a glorified horde mode made it a hard game for me to come back to and finish.

I probably set the bar too high for this game but I feel there were other games that came out this year that commanded my attention.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

@Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

Baloney. People were on that game's ass for daring to exist from the moment it was announced. Trying to say that game had positive public perception at any point nearing release is either intentional misrepresentation, or candid false memory.

Which game? RE6, or ME3? Because if you're talking about ME3, I recall no such thing.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#39  Edited By jeff

@smcn said:

Mass Effect 3 should be game of the year to anyone who's not a total philistine.

Clearly this is the booze talking.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I'm gonna say Borderlands 2 should win.

Never thought I'd say that as a Mass Effect nerd.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bane122

Who cares? I mean, discussing goty picks with people can be fun and interesting but I don't get being upset over what someone else thinks of a game. Despite the problems it has, I still loved ME3 (so far the only two games that are competition for it for goty are The Walking Dead and Asura's Wrath) but if the staff doesn't and that leads to no goty nod from them, oh well.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By big_jon

ME3 was good, but not my GOTY.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

@Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

Which game? RE6, or ME3? Because if you're talking about ME3, I recall no such thing.

Once again, you're either lying on purpose, or you honestly just don't remember it properly. The lead up to ME3 was one of the most venomous, angry public reactions I've ever witnessed, even before the game came out. To paint the constant flurry of outrage and screaming as 'positive' is a gross mischaracterization.

In comparison, RE6 was a lot of people excited and then taken aback by the demo, and then kind of depressed and resigned. It was a lot of sighing with hands in pockets. ME3 was like bloodpainted barbarians trying to knock down the city walls.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Nottle

@smcn: There are quite a few games that will probably be in most of their top ten lists over Mass Effect 3: Borderlands 2, FTL, Mark of the Ninja, The Walking Dead, Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, Dust, and Journey.

Also most disappointing doesn't mean the worst game of the year, just one that fails expectations.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By ApolloBob

Nah man, my Shepard made the decision to wipe out the Philistines in ME1.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hailinel
    @Brodehouse Well excuse me for apparently not having a clear memory then. You could have corrected me without the smug bullshit.
    mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mrpandaman

@Brodehouse said:

@Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

@Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

Once again, you're either lying on purpose, or you honestly just don't remember it properly. The lead up to ME3 was one of the most venomous, angry public reactions I've ever witnessed, even before the game came out. To paint the constant flurry of outrage and screaming as 'positive' is a gross mischaracterization. In comparison, RE6 was a lot of people excited and then taken aback by the demo, and then kind of depressed and resigned. It was a lot of sighing with hands in pockets. ME3 was like bloodpainted barbarians trying to knock down the city walls.

I don't recall people being on Mass Effect 3's ass for daring to exist, if I recall correctly people couldn't wait for Mass Effect 3, because of 2. It was really when the original script was leaked that people were starting to become even somewhat hesitant. Then, that venomous, angry public reaction only came when the game came out and people saw the ending.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel
    @Brodehouse Well excuse me for apparently not having a clear memory then. You could have corrected me without the smug bullshit.
    Aside from disagreeing with you, exactly what about what I said is 'smug'? Don't make this fucking personal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrpandaman

@Brodehouse said:

@Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

@Hailinel

@Brodehouse said:

Once again, you're either lying on purpose, or you honestly just don't remember it properly. The lead up to ME3 was one of the most venomous, angry public reactions I've ever witnessed, even before the game came out. To paint the constant flurry of outrage and screaming as 'positive' is a gross mischaracterization. In comparison, RE6 was a lot of people excited and then taken aback by the demo, and then kind of depressed and resigned. It was a lot of sighing with hands in pockets. ME3 was like bloodpainted barbarians trying to knock down the city walls.

I don't recall people being on Mass Effect 3's ass for daring to exist, if I recall correctly people couldn't wait for Mass Effect 3, because of 2. It was really when the original script was leaked that people were starting to become even somewhat hesitant. Then, that venomous, angry public reaction only came when the game came out and people saw the ending.

I don't necessarily remember the timeline of the script, but the only time I remember anything resembling positive public reception of that game was the initial teaser trailer. By the second trailer/gameplay thing, people were already losing their minds with pure anger. "They're only showing the combat!" "They're spoiling the plot!" "No matter what, we have to fight Cerberus!" "That dude has a fauxhawk!" "There's a hit confirm UI element!" "They're forcing you to play default Shepard!"

It was unreal. The only thing I think is comparable was Fallout fans flipping the fuck out about Fallout 3 before it came out.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Brendan

It's going to suffer from the Uncharted 3/Batman: Arkham City syndrome of being overshadowed by its predecessor. It'll definitely be in my top 10 games list of this year and maybe even my top 5, but it probably won't be numero un.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.