Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Asari reproduction...? (Spoilers)

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By DevWil

Call me a softy, but I got pretty invested in my Shepard's relationship with Liara.

Now, what does the moment Shepard and Liara share towards the end of the game mean, exactly? The one on Earth, when the screen's colors go crazy and then you're standing in front of infinity or something.

Does this mean Liara could give birth to Shepard's child? I'm not clear on Asari reproduction, and a few minutes of research online hasn't revealed anything clear to me.

How Liara ended up on the Normandy when she was with me on Earth... well... that's another issue.

Thanks!

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Pinworm45

Although asari have one gender, they are not asexual. An asari provides two copies of her own genes to her offspring, which—regardless of the species or sex of the 'father'—is always an asari. The second set is altered in a unique process called melding, also known as the joining.

During melding, an asari consciously attunes her nervous system to her partner's, sending and receiving electrical impulses directly through the skin. A common phrase used before melding is "embrace eternity," presumably to help focus the partner's mind. Effectively, the asari and her partner briefly become one unified nervous system. This unique means of reproduction is the reason asari are all talented biotics. Their evolved ability to consciously control nerve impulses is very similar to biotic training. The partner can be another asari, or an alien of any gender. However, since the asari began encountering other sentient species, non-asari mates have become preferred for the diversity they provide. This reproductive process can lead to some confusion among non-asari, who might expect offspring with "mixed" genes. However, the offspring is always 100% asari as no DNA is taken from the partner, but is rather used as a "map" to randomize the genes of the offspring.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Asari#Biology

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mandude

What a disturbingly comprehensive answer.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Pinworm45

@mandude said:

No Caption Provided
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By StarvingGamer

I think it's a definite maybe. What Liara and Shepard did was something similar melding where rather than become a unified nervous system, they became a unified consciousness, sharing their memories. Rather than a physical connection, Liara wanted to share a far deeper psychological connection with Shepard. Whether or not this action can also lead to an offspring is not explicitly stated, but I would assume so.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By N7

Man. I want to bone an Asari.

Make a game where I bone an Asari, Bioware.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joshthebear
    @Pinworm45

@mandude said:

No Caption Provided
    NO. That face is terrifying.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @N7 said:
    Man. I want to bone an Asari.  Make a game where I bone an Asari, Bioware.
    They've already made three.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By N7
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    @N7 said:
    Man. I want to bone an Asari.  Make a game where I bone an Asari, Bioware.
    I said make a game where I bone an Asari!
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By rjayb89

Where my unrated asari fleshlight, BioWare. Where?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Oh fuck me @Pinworm45, I just laughed water through my nose.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

@N7 said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:
    @N7 said:
    Man. I want to bone an Asari. Make a game where I bone an Asari, Bioware.
    I said make a game where I bone an Asari!

I assume it would be akin to masturbating.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

best way to die i guess.

815Sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 815Sox

Next ME stars an Asari rogue huntress with Shepards essence... I can see it now!!! BW owes me royalties now.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By BoG

@Pinworm45: I'm pretty sure this info is all found in the codex. I remember the first thing I did when I played the original ME was look this up. Of course, it really brings up some strange things. First of all, how so Asari only have "one gender?" Wouldn't this mean they're genderless? They're neither male nor female, though we perceive them as females. As someone said in another topic, the concept of gender is really an artificial one to Asari. I'm also concerned about Asari sexuality. When we're shown Asari strippers, when Asari express the desire to be physically intimate with Shepard or others... isn't this a bit strange? Physical intimacy for humans is probably a product of our very physical reproductive process. Asari reproduction is completely non-physical. As with other races, how can we say that they derive pleasure from sex? Only very few species on Earth find sex pleasurable. It's strange that everyone in the galaxy loves getting down, and loves watching Asari dance. Wouldn't a Salarian find human and Asari unappealing, just as a human would find a Salarian unappealing? I don't like how the developers just assume that human anatomy is the most beautiful.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Kazona

@DevWil: Did you not listen to anything she told you during that scene? She clearly said that she wanted to share her memories with you. That's the special moment. She's joining her mind with yours so you can see all of her memories. They are not making babies.

815Sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 815Sox

@BoG said:

@Pinworm45: I'm pretty sure this info is all found in the codex. I remember the first thing I did when I played the original ME was look this up. Of course, it really brings up some strange things. First of all, how so Asari only have "one gender?" Wouldn't this mean they're genderless? They're neither male nor female, though we perceive them as females. As someone said in another topic, the concept of gender is really an artificial one to Asari. I'm also concerned about Asari sexuality. When we're shown Asari strippers, when Asari express the desire to be physically intimate with Shepard or others... isn't this a bit strange? Physical intimacy for humans is probably a product of our very physical reproductive process. Asari reproduction is completely non-physical. As with other races, how can we say that they derive pleasure from sex? Only very few species on Earth find sex pleasurable. It's strange that everyone in the galaxy loves getting down, and loves watching Asari dance. Wouldn't a Salarian find human and Asari unappealing, just as a human would find a Salarian unappealing? I don't like how the developers just assume that human anatomy is the most beautiful.

Salarians do not really feel "love", nor do they find pleasure in Sex. It is only for reproduction purposes. All "matches" are negotiated through contracts and deals are made. Remember, the average Salarian lives for only 40ish years.

They have kind of addressed this throughout the series but it appears that many races share some idea of what a "male" and "female" is across races. BW is suggesting that reproduction will have some similarities for most races. A "mother" and "father" role for example (even Asari do this).... Asari are viewed as female by many of the races throughout the galaxy.

The "Salarian Bachelor Party" in Eternity on Illium in 2 addresses this stuff. Both the Human and the Turian think that the Asari "looks like them". It is also explained that Asari have a strong desire to explore early on in life, and some of them make money by stripping etc etc. I want to say Arai was a dancer at one point, I know the Matron on Eternity was.

Avatar image for hanktheawesome08
    HanktheAwesome08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By HanktheAwesome08

I'm a big fan of the Asari-minor-mental-shape-change theory. It makes sense. If you're trying to reproduce with a bunch of different species, and you're talented with biotics, projecting a mental image onto yourself that matches the species you're trying to mate with is smart.

It bothers me that the Asari are so human-like, considering how different they are. Salarians, Turians, and Krogan are all humanoids, but they look like things that evolved on different plants. Asari look like blue humans. The noses and the boobs really bother me, but it's all forgiven if the shape-change thing is true. To other Asari, Asari look like what Asari look like. They adjust their features to look more human around humans. They're less curvy and more ridged/bone-like with longer frills for Turians, lanky for Salarians, etc.

And then they mind-meld and have babies I unno.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @HanktheAwesome08 said:

I'm a big fan of the Asari-minor-mental-shape-change theory. It makes sense. If you're trying to reproduce with a bunch of different species, and you're talented with biotics, projecting a mental image onto yourself that matches the species you're trying to mate with is smart.

It bothers me that the Asari are so human-like, considering how different they are. Salarians, Turians, and Krogan are all humanoids, but they look like things that evolved on different plants. Asari look like blue humans. The noses and the boobs really bother me, but it's all forgiven if the shape-change thing is true. To other Asari, Asari look like what Asari look like. They adjust their features to look more human around humans. They're less curvy and more ridged/bone-like with longer frills for Turians, lanky for Salarians, etc.

And then they mind-meld and have babies I unno.

So your saying what we see them as is not what they really look like. For all we know they are just a giant ass Gas cloud. Or a ball O flesh. 
    HanktheAwesome08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HanktheAwesome08

@The_Laughing_Man: Based on that one very minor throw-away side conversation on Illium, yes. That's possible.

I like to think of them as being more amorphous blue humanoids. Round eyes, mouth, nose, teeth, arms, legs, head frills. They just have a constant... mental mind-control thing that makes them look more like the species looking at them. So they're noses look more like Turian noses when Turians see them. Less frills for humans, more for Turians.

But like I said, it's just a tiny side conversation in a bar. It's also super easy just to say "They just look like blue humans and everybody likes tits in space."

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NathanStack

@The_Laughing_Man:

No Caption Provided
    HanktheAwesome08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HanktheAwesome08

Aw man, that picture just made my day.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By DevWil

OH GOD.

i'm as terrified as someone can be about interactions with fictional characters:

i just saw a video of someone's dialogue with a romanced liara on earth and it was different than mine. but i was definitely involved with liara!

in the video, she mentioned "little blue children". she didn't mention little blue children in my playthrough D:!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.