Best character in the Mass Effect series?

• 147 results
#1 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Hello duders!

So, the Mass Effect series ends here. What has been your favourite character throughout this journey? Mine is Tali. She is the best romance and never lets you down. Her voice is mezmerizing as well! The best male character is probably Garrus. He's a pure badass and never backs down from battle. Liara is also one of my favourites. But i have to count Garrus and Tali my favourites.

What are yours duders?

#2 Posted by Karkarov (3274 posts) -

Aside from Shepard this is a no brainer. Garrus.

#3 Posted by Harkat (1119 posts) -

Garrus. He brings up interesting perspectives on your situation, is likeable and logical and has interesting personal issues.

#4 Posted by jaymorgoth (243 posts) -

One word...Wrex.

#5 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

Garrus

#6 Posted by CheapPoison (742 posts) -

Garrus and Mordin

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Garrus. A levelheaded individual who has no regards for rules if they're not needed and is also likeably sarcastic as well as determined. He would be the one I chose the most in my squad next to Liara.

#8 Posted by altairre (1280 posts) -

Thane. I really liked that dude.

#9 Posted by DeeGee (2140 posts) -

I love Thane.

#10 Posted by WilliamHenry (1217 posts) -

@altairre said:

Yup. Wish there was more of him in ME3.

#11 Posted by redefaulted (2829 posts) -

Tali for my romancing needs, but Garrus for overall best character.

#12 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

The Normandy.

#13 Posted by PolygonSlayer (432 posts) -

Tali and Garrus all the way!

#14 Posted by huser (1105 posts) -

Garrus or Mordin. I wish Legion had had more screen time and was available earlier in ME2. Stupid Xbox limitations (and no this ain't a partisan console fanboy comment), splitting that game in half....

#15 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

James Vega obviously

#16 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11393 posts) -

Garrus. No doubt.

#17 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1253 posts) -

Garrus and Mordin. If Bioware made a game with just those two I would be fine.

#18 Posted by wumbo3000 (1005 posts) -

Miranda Lawson for two really big reasons...

...In all seriousness, Garrus. It has to be!

“I’m Garrus Vakarian and this is now my favorite spot on the Citadel!"

#19 Edited by Aleryn (705 posts) -

@RockinKemosabe said:

The Normandy.

^ What he said.

Aside from that though, Garrus, Tali and Anderson for me. I wanted a lot more Keith David in ME3, and got my hopes up that he'd be recruit-able from the first 30 minutes of the game. Oh well. I think Admiral Hackett was pretty damn good, too. I really never placed him as Lance Henrickson(sp?) and I can usually spot that guy from a mile away vocally. Oh, and Mordin was great too. Especially being forced to kill him. Ugh, too many excellent choices in there. I gotta add Vega as my last, very real.

#20 Posted by Rayeth (1071 posts) -

It's a tie between Wrex and Mordin.

Garrus is a close second to those two, but the sheer personality of Wrex and Mordin edge him out.

#21 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I think its Mordin.

#22 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

Samara and Mordin from a country mile if we're talking about squadmates. Tali used to be up there, but she creeped me out with her attempts at sexy talk. Javik gets an honorable mention.

Outside of the squad, it would have to be Conrad Verner, Saren, and the asari commando with PTSD in ME3. What you realize right at the end of the game makes her story even more tragic.

#23 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Tali & Mordin Solus but really tempted to also include Samara on the list too for my favorites.

#24 Posted by UlquioKani (1182 posts) -

Thane Krios

This guy was awesome. He was the most interesting in terms of back story and he was my favourite romance option ( I am a heterosexual dude btw). Some of the characters in the series are a voice for their race and that is good but Thane is a character that isn't defined by his race. He would be just as interesting as a human. He is the deadliest assassin in the galaxy but he seems like the most harmless, pure and good character in the whole universe.

One of my favourite scenes is the one romance scene just before going into the Omega 4 relay where he comes up to your room and cries. This scene was really touching and showed more depth to the character. He wasn't just some stone cold killer who wasn't afraid of death. You saw that he was just as afraid as others.

There were lots of good characters in the series but Thane felt like the most developed.

#25 Posted by dogman795 (109 posts) -

Gotta be Mordin.

"Chafing. I can prescribe some ointment for you... Chafing."

#26 Posted by Coafi (1494 posts) -

The hanar, or the elcor. I think sometimes I love the background characters more than the main characters. If we are talking important characters then, Dr. Chakwas for sure.

#27 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

Definitely Mordin. Both the Paragon and Renegade resolutions to Tuchanka were just incredible.

#28 Posted by Murtaug (309 posts) -

This is a hard question, there are so many to love for many different reasons.

Shepard is out of the running because he is the focus. I enjoyed the growth shown with Liara a lot, but some thing just did not jive quite right with her in ME3. Wrex is awesome, and always will be.

Garrus is the obvious choice, he and Shepard built a really strong "brothers in arms" relationship that I felt was nicely fleshed out.

I guess for me, my favorite really comes down to Thane. Total bad ass that fought even when he should have been down for the count for good. Some thing about the slight mystery of his past and the peace he had managed to find after the life he lived struck a cord. I thought his voice acting was excellent and I just loved every conversation with him.

Even still I am torn between picking some one else. If Mass Effect got one thing right, it was the characters, they were the soul of the game and what really kept the experiences that did not quite live up to the mark more of a minor blemish on the series than what might have other wise really brought the game down a couple of notches from great to mediocre.

#29 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Garrus is probably my favorite with Wrex being a close second.

#30 Posted by gla55jAw (2696 posts) -

@UlquioKani said:

Thane Krios

This guy was awesome. He was the most interesting in terms of back story and he was my favourite romance option ( I am a heterosexual dude btw). Some of the characters in the series are a voice for their race and that is good but Thane is a character that isn't defined by his race. He would be just as interesting as a human. He is the deadliest assassin in the galaxy but he seems like the most harmless, pure and good character in the whole universe.

One of my favourite scenes is the one romance scene just before going into the Omega 4 relay where he comes up to your room and cries. This scene was really touching and showed more depth to the character. He wasn't just some stone cold killer who wasn't afraid of death. You saw that he was just as afraid as others.

There were lots of good characters in the series but Thane felt like the most developed.

I really felt Thane stood out from everyone during my time's with him in ME2.

#31 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

The Hanar, collectively.

#32 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

There's a reason Garrus is so well loved he has an excellent character arc, a relatable personality and great voice actor. I found everything about him across all three games more interesting than Shepard, my dream was that I could have Shepard die in the suicide mission and Garrus would take his place.

#33 Posted by TheHT (11785 posts) -

Mordin.

His entire arc from ME2 through ME3 is the best in the series.

#34 Posted by FLStyle (4919 posts) -

The Elcor ambassador, obviously.

#35 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1044 posts) -

Thane and Mordin.

#36 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Grunt, James Vega, Jacqueline Nought.

#37 Posted by Vitor (2832 posts) -

@WilliamHenry said:

@altairre said:

Yup. Wish there was more of him in ME3.

Me too but I think they handled his arc super well and didn't feel short changed with events.

Garrus is my personal favourite, followed by Wrex and Mordin probably.

#38 Posted by SmasheControllers (2553 posts) -

Garrus, Mordin and Joker.

#39 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

I actually think it's Samara. But if we're talking characters encompassing the whole game, including non squadmates, then Saren. Followed by Sovereign, then Samara.

#40 Posted by Strife777 (1612 posts) -

I love the relationship between Shepard and Garrus. You can see they went through some shit together and that it made them good friends.

But it's really hard to choose between any of them, they all have their own interesting personalities. Even with all the hate people have for Bioware these days, you can't say they don't make great, diverse characters.

#41 Posted by Synaptic (310 posts) -

Garrus. That guy is such a bro, he would be one of my best friends irl.

#42 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

Why is anyone ever mentioning Shepard as a possibility? Shepard is nothing, he/she is a cipher. He/she is an empty shell you fill with your choices and and actions. Shepard is Gordon Freeman with dialogue. In a vacuum, Shepard is soulless and meaningless and only functions as your malleable avatar through which you're able to experience the Mass Effect universe (making the conclusion to the series even worse, now that I think about it.)

#43 Posted by mano521 (1232 posts) -

shepard, then garrus, then legion

not sure why i liked legion so much, but hes the bees knees

#44 Posted by LiquidPrince (16175 posts) -

Garrus, Mordin, Thane and Liara. I have a thing for Miranda though... which I guess stem for my thing for Yvonne Strahovski.

#45 Posted by ninjalegend (461 posts) -

Mordin. I'd love to see stories based on him like mentioned in a previous bombcast. I'd like to see him go to other game universes, to try to solve their problems with his run on sentences.........

"Landed in mushroom kingdom...princess captured once again....bad reptile infestation.....created reptilian genophage...using sentient mushrooms to transmit....worried about explosion in mushroom population....must dissect more koopas, run additional tests...."

#46 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

Thane.

I could listen to his tales of icing fools for hours on end.

#47 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I have NO idea why everyone likes Garrus, he's just some boring soldier dude.

Joker is the best character. EDIT- I'M THE FIRST PERSON TO SAY JOKER??

#48 Posted by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -

Legion, though Garrus is a close second.

#49 Posted by Liquidus (942 posts) -

Garrus. Always has Shepard's back. That scene in ME3 with Shepard and him on the Citadel is so great.

#50 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Joker.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.