Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Best way to get the game? (PC)

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Yo so i've been playing the whole trilogy on the lead-up to Mass Effect 3 and was just wondering what you guys think I should do as far as buying ME3. Been playing them all on Steam so far but ME3 is only on Origin; I was expecting some kind of GOTY Edition with all the DLC but apparently EA doesn't do that because they like money too much. So is all the DLC worth getting seperately? Anything worth skipping? As an aside (avoiding spoilers if possible) when is the best time you think for me to jump into each of those DLCs in the ME3 story?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

Hmmm. I'm not your best person for this recommendation because I haven't played all the DLC, but a whole lot of it seemed multiplayer focused anyway. From Ashes is essential. I really wish I'd had it for my first playthrough. That one character is not only useful but also one of the most interesting in the game. Jump on that mission ASAP, because the character insights span the entire game.

I hear a lot of praise for Citadel for really giving the series a fun sendoff until a new story arch. That's about all I can say. No idea on when to jump into it. I think it's even locked out until a certain point, so probably as soon as it is available.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

From Ashes is essential, because it provides you with one of the best characters in the game. Leviathan is essential because without it, the ending makes no sense what so ever. Citadel is essential if you have any kind of attachment to the characters and the crew.

The only one that doesn't make any difference whether you play or not is Omega, which isn't terrible, but it's so far off to the side, and irrelevant to the rest of it, that you can easily skip it. But hey, female turian....

Best time to play them I'd say is

• From Ashes: ASAP
    • Leviathan: Doesn't really matter. Around the midpoint of the game when a certain ME1 crewmember is reintroduced, I guess.
    • Citadel: After Sanctuary.
    • Omega: Whenever.
    ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

From Ashes and Leviathan are essential. Do From Ashes as soon as possible, save Leviathan for late in the game, as close to the point of no return as possible. Omega is fully standalone, so if you liked Omega from ME2 or are a fan of Aria, you might want to check it out. It's very combat focused and the story is by the numbers, but there is some decent character stuff. If you get it you can do it whenever you feel like in your playthrough.

Citadel is outstanding, right up there with Lair of the Shadow Broker for best DLC in the series. However, it doesn't integrate very well into a first playthrough from either a fictional or pacing standpoint. I don't know what the official word is, but I consider it canonically debatable with how tonally different it is compared to the rest of the series. I view it a lot like the 100 and 200 episode specials from Stargate SG-1 if you're familiar with that. I absolutely recommend you play it, but maybe finish the main game without it and then load an earlier save in order to play it after you finish.

@andrewb said:

Hmmm. I'm not your best person for this recommendation because I haven't played all the DLC, but a whole lot of it seemed multiplayer focused anyway.

All the multiplayer DLC is free.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

@ll_exile_ll: Ah, had no idea. Never played the multiplayer. Thanks!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I recommend playing Citadel after you've finished the game. It's kinda different tonally.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.