Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

BioWare Agrees to Do Something About That Mass Effect 3 Ending That a Bunch of People Are Angry About

cristhianfs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#651  Edited By cristhianfs

@BurningStickMan: I read that in Commander Bailey's voice

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#652  Edited By Hailinel

@AdMordem said:

@Jay444111 said:

@AdMordem said:

@Jay444111: Actually one bloke screwed it up at the end, and your journey analogy is a bit weird because the 60 hour travelling part was fantastic, not shitty.

What do you mean one bloke screwed it up at the end?

Also, my analogy is still perfect because this game series if over 5 years old now. Since the first mass effect we were expecting a very awesome ending. Instead, we got quite possibly the most disspointingly terrible endings to a franchise... ever.

There was this thing posted up on the Penny Arcade Forums that was pulled shortly after, posted by one of the senior writers.

The short was the lead had complete control over the ending, including the earth sequences. Everything else in all 3 games went through the entire team of writers, and was fixed for tone, continuity and other things. The last segment wasnt.

This guy had seen the plans earlier, and didn't know why most of the plans of it wasn't implemented.

The end basically was sposed to be a much more diverse version of what we got.

16 endings, with tie ins - like for the destroy there were 3 variants - low score would reveal success would be victory but with everyone basically dead anyway, middle was earth getting smashed bad by the superweapon, high score victory, earth hurt but repairable, not complete destruction of fleet.

He also said had it gone through the usual process with the writers, they would have tried to do things with the last 2 earth segments by having things happen related to who was fighting with you. like if you had the krogans on side, maybe a Rachni army charging to one side, then Wrex leading a massive charge of krogans into them to help you progress, or things like asari warships dropping in to clear out enemies. He mentioned a few other things that really would have sold the ending.

He mentions petitioning successfully for a final goodbye to your crew and friends, and a couple other examples.

He mentions his and the teams pain at getting badmouthed and insulted by the likes of you, when noone but the lead had any control over the end.

When I get home tonight, I will PM or post here the copy paste of it before it was deleted. (its in my browser history at home)

Also dude, ME1, ME2 and all of ME3 besides the last 15 minutes can hardly be compared to a shitty walk. If your analagy was 'walked through a zoo, a time portal, historical spain, another time portal, wonderland while laughing/crying/delighted/completely engaged and then rocked up at the shop to realise you forgot your wallet' then it would be closer. Forgetting the wallet would sting, but still cant erase the wonderful adventure you just had. Unless you were going to the shop for memory pills :P

EDIT: Here is a pastebin of the post (SPOILERS)

http://pastebin.com/i2cNVDp4

I thought that forum post was proven to be fake.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#653  Edited By natetodamax

The best part of the ending was the Buzz Aldrin cameo in the post-credits scene.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#654  Edited By dvorak

@Jay444111: I don't get your metaphor exactly, but I think I essentially agree.

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#655  Edited By admordem

@Hailinel: Actually the denials look to be false not the post. It WAS Weekes account (one of the writers account), that is proven. His account would have had to have been hacked, which noone has come out and said that was the case.

He basically got busted, as the post was only up for an hour, and he did not want people to publish it or his name. Of course it got on to reddit, along with his name. He's said 'I didn't do it' to you know, keep his job.

It looks like actually and true candid remarks from Weekes.

The bad part about what he wrote for me was it kills the indoctrination idea. For his explanation of the endings to work, it means that was not an indoctrination dream, and those choices are real. Disappointing for me, because everything about the indoctrination idea fits, and even explains weird parts of the game (like the stupid dreams, Shepard acceptance through the last 10 mins, the gun with infinate ammo, and so many more). Just sad for me cause this would have been amazing writing, but now suggests a lot of the 'hints' of indoctrination are just bad writing.

Fortunately, how Weekes describes the ending makes me kind of nod and say to myself 'that actually would have made the current ending acceptable and kind of 'work'. Had it been done the way he describes, the only problem would have been kids upset with not getting a hollywood ending.

My last point on the 'ending' as well is that all of ME3 is an ending. So many plot lines and story arcs come to end before you reach the last 15 mins of the game, and they are all written beautifully and presented in an astoundingly meaningful way. Mordin's story, potentionally the quarians and geth can end several different ways all very emotional, etc. About 50% or more of the game has ended before the last 15 minutes, and concluding in ways that beat my expectations. People are upset with the last 15 minutes, which really is 50% or less of the ending. You've said your goodbyes! You've spoken and finalised everyone you've ever met in all of Mass Effect. People forget they delivered on their fantastics endings for a large portion of the game. The portion that a team of writers handled and made sure was what would be best for us.

My most central point is that lay off hating on the entire Bioware team. The large majority just spent half a decade fighting to give you really well written, choice driven games. They have fought to get changes and additions for things they know the fans would want. The story arcs that are concluded before the very end of ME3 are amazing, the last 15 minutes isnt the only conclusion to be had in a game of conclusions.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#656  Edited By Hailinel

@AdMordem: If Weeke's story is in fact true, then I can only surmise that Casey Hudson had to be utterly clueless when approving the ending, especially considering that it was Hudson himself that said that the ending would not come down to choices A, B, and C, when that's in fact what happened.

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#657  Edited By admordem

@Hailinel: Exactly! What an arsehole right?

Like it may have been budget, it may have been time. Bioware has a history of saying 'when we are ready'.

He may have just been 'busy' to make good to his promise. Personal lives can do that, he should have stepped back from his control though in that case. Why was doing what he said he wouldn't acceptable with him?

Some of Weekes comments suggest he cared more for a very meta ending than something that was representative of the gameplay experience. BAD! WRONG!

Even if he is the project lead, he reports to Bioware bigwigs - why did they not provide their own QA? Surely the Dr's play every game before it is released - and provide feedback with the wieght of their positions behind them.

It seems that the higher Bioware management were to busy with SWTOR, as the last stages of development for this coincicide with its release. Why have one of the best writing teams in games there if you aren't going to use them for the big final conclusion? This isn't normal, and someone above Casey should have stepped in, but as I said, I reckon they were busy with SWTOR.

The sad thing is that Weekes will prolly get fired and Casey will get another ME project.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#658  Edited By Rekt_Hed

I didn't have any problem with the ending. Sure maybe its not 'true' enough for some people but god I really don't see why everyone is so freakin pissed. Either way people are getting what they think they want so hopefully it won't make this whole situation worse when its released.

t67443

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#659  Edited By t67443

Some people just want to complain and will never be happy.

The ending was fine, I don't think they should change it at all. In my universe the Reapers and Geth are dead, the universe needs to learn how to survive with out Reaper tech and Humans, Turians, Krogans, Volus, Elcor and Quarians are working together for better galaxy after standing up against the Reapers. The Galaxy is at a point where they can have future peace and my Shepard is a legend that has a story that is passed thru the ages.
    QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#660  Edited By QuistisTrepe

It's really sad that the developer is even going to bother at all with such a sense of entitlement. But hey, if Bioware can make a little extra money off of it, why not? Oh well, a fool and their money are soon parted.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#661  Edited By AiurFlux

It's pretty much known now that Shepard was indoctrinated, and the entire Crucibe God Child bullshit is his internal struggle to fight it off. If you pick Synthesis or Control Shepard has the eyes of a machine, much like a husk, the Illusive Man, or Saren. Destroy doesn't have that. Also when Shepard shoots Anderson how come when Anderson dies Shepard is hit in the exact same spot he shot Anderson. Yes he was shot by a Marauder while walking to the Conduit, in the shoulder though.

This entire thing was a ploy to sell additional DLC. To sell an ending. Should people be angry about that? Yeah. But they should also be frightened that EA and BioWare are going to get away with it. What next, buying individual levels for a full retail priced game? Or am I giving them ideas now?

Avatar image for aguynamedjustin
    aGuyNamedJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#662  Edited By aGuyNamedJustin

And who said kicking and screaming like little petulant children never got you anywhere?

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#663  Edited By ptys

I must've got the good ending as I only finished it this weekend and it was excellent. Maybe there's something to be said about the players who rush to the finish line without taking the time to emerse themselves in the experience. ME3 had some of the best moments of the series, unfortunately it wasn't perfect so I guess we can look forward to them getting it right for the next trilogy on a new gen. of visuals.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#664  Edited By SonicBoyster

The developer decided during the third game's production to change the narrative structure and ending of the entire franchise. The developer then went on and made a tactical decision to cut a bunch of scenes and dialog from the end of the game to make it more ambiguous. It's their right to do it, and it is our right to complain about it. Whether or not they 'succumb' to our demands is neither here nor there... The ending isn't 'changing' it's just being fleshed out, meaning the original vision still stands if only with less ambiguity, and gamers will get more of the resolution they were looking for. There shouldn't be any 'artistic integrity' or 'entitlement' arguments at all, and I feel like people that use either of those terms in a serious way are deluded. We have the right to bitch, and hopefully always will, and whether or not a developer caves in to us is their own prerogative and nobody else's.

I know the pendulum swings both ways but people who are hoping on the 'hate the haters' bandwagon this late in the game are obnoxious as fuck to me. If you're echoing game journalists and using terms like 'entitled' you're as bad if not worse than the people you are bitching about. Being a corporate schill is no better than being a strongly opinionated idiot. Try to see the issue from both sides and come to a more reasonable assessment of what's right or wrong with the ending rather than jumping on any given bandwagon and riding it to bitchy-town.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@SonicBoyster said:
    I know the pendulum swings both ways but people who are hoping on the 'hate the haters' bandwagon this late in the game are obnoxious as fuck to me. If you're echoing game journalists and using terms like 'entitled' you're as bad if not worse than the people you are bitching about. Being a corporate schill is no better than being a strongly opinionated idiot. Try to see the issue from both sides and come to a more reasonable assessment of what's right or wrong with the ending rather than jumping on any given bandwagon and riding it to bitchy-town.
    This has basically what my opinion has been in the last couple weeks as this controversy has continued to play out. There's always a backlash, regardless of how accurate or justified initial public sentiment is. What's worse, is that the 'game media' will basically always take a softer position on any given controversy as a general rule, if for no other reason than to not be put in bad favor with the developer or publisher themselves, even if they completely agree with people who are upset. And that's basically what's summed up this controversy and is the only thing left about it that infuriates me. At first, I just hated the ending, and at this point, I hate people that pretend not to hate the ending because they don't want anyone to think they associate with anyone that hates the ending.

If you don't like the ending, just say so and move on. Don't give me this "artistic vision" bullshit that Patrick's been spouting, don't preach to me about how some douchebags on the internet somehow make it impossible for you to just be honest about how you feel about it because you don't want to associate with "those types." There's almost no way to say it was a good ending, if you actually nail someone down about it and force someone to think about what the ending actually was for more than a few seconds, but there are some people who just want to seem cool and above the fray too much to actually just straight up say "nah son, the ending's garbage, period."
    megaadair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#666  Edited By megaadair

I just don't want the mass relays to have been destroyed. I want more story not a new ending. Realign them instead. That should screw over galactic travel, politics, and everything else enough for a few decades. Then more story!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#667  Edited By Karl_Boss

Pay more money to unlock the real ending.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#668  Edited By aspaceinvader

The way the game ended will open the way for mass effect 4

jackelbeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#669  Edited By jackelbeaver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kevgkTcS03k

Pretty good summation of the Bioware Social Forums at this point...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.