BioWare email is pretty disgusting.

#1 Posted by JeanLuc (3585 posts) -

I don't care what your opinion is on the endings, you have to admit this is really shitty. This is marketing spin at its worst, or best depending how you look at it. BioWare I love you, or at least I want too, but shit like this isn't helping you.

#2 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I don't understand? They're marketing their new DLC.(Which is free.)

EDIT: Carry on, I didn't know what you were originally talking about.

#3 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11053 posts) -

@CL60 said:

He means the quote from Entertainment Weekly. It's about reaction to the ending, which has been largely negative, but they're spinning it to sound positive.

To me, this seems like standard stuff. I don't approve, but it doesn't surprise me. It's what I would do if I was them.

#4 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -

yeah, it sucks when they quote a journalist/critic who knows shit-all about video games other than profit margins and internet buzz.

#5 Posted by MikeFightNight (1110 posts) -

Now that's quite the spin. I'm sure someone got a raise after that one.

#6 Posted by Sgykah (95 posts) -

Damn you Bioware! Stop giving us free content for a multiplayer the fans never, ever wanted (although quite a few have begrudgingly agreed that it's pretty decent).

#7 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@CL60: I'm guessing it's the "has provoked a bigger fan reaction" bit that he's referring to, seeing as most of that reaction has been negative.

#8 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@CL60 said:

He means the quote from Entertainment Weekly. It's about reaction to the ending, which has been largely negative, but they're spinning it to sound positive.

To me, this seems like standard stuff. I don't approve, but it doesn't surprise me. It's what I would do if I was them.

Ah. He should have clarified what he was talking about. I had no idea what he was specifically talking about.

Carry on.

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19346 posts) -

I love that spin. It's so true, too.

#10 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@SarjuTheRapper said:

yeah, it sucks when they quote a journalist/critic who knows shit-all about video games other than profit margins and internet buzz.

Said journalist is %100 right. The ending HAS provoked a bigger fan reaction than any other game in history. The quote has just been taken grossly out of context. To the degree that it might actually be lawsuit worthy.

#11 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

Okay that is kind of funny.

#12 Posted by JeanLuc (3585 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Your right, but it shouldn't be like this. All they had to do was one of a billion quotes from reviews that is positive. Instead they go with the one that gives a middle finger to the people that are pissed off. I mean its genius, but really dickish.

#13 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Ha, thats funny

#14 Posted by Yummylee (21684 posts) -

Those sly devils.

#15 Posted by Bocam (3755 posts) -

That's pretty fucking great

#16 Posted by Sackmanjones (4707 posts) -

Well played Bioware… Well played…

Also it's not false!

#17 Posted by HatKing (5957 posts) -

@Bocam said:

That's pretty fucking great

I agree. I actually really enjoy it in a twisted way.

#18 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3748 posts) -

Wow. And once again, FUCK YOU BioWare.

[edit] Actually, thinking about it a bit more, this really is more of a "fuck you, EA marketing" sort of issue, instead. Either way, this sort of thing just makes me even more upset about the situation.

Between this and Dragon's Age 2, BioWare is all but dead to me. No more pre-orders, and no more purchases until I hear from people who I trust that BioWare hasn't fucked up once again.

#19 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

but its true, i approve of this tactic

#20 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

props to whoever gave the green light to that

#21 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1118 posts) -

It is a very smart move. The most talked about thing in gaming over the last month, and probably of the year, has been Mass Effect 3's ending. You might as well take advantage of that massive buzz and word of mouth.

#22 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

@SarjuTheRapper said:

Said journalist is %100 right. The ending HAS provoked a bigger fan reaction than any other game in history. The quote has just been taken grossly out of context. To the degree that it might actually be lawsuit worthy.

yeah, i don't disagree. I'm prone to judging entertainment weekly fairly harshly. does that make me a racist?
#23 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

ok

#24 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Just incredible.

#25 Posted by Tearhead (2168 posts) -

Meh. It's just marketing spin, not that big of a deal. I'd probably write something similar if I was in that position. I mean, it's not like they're lying.

#26 Edited by benspyda (2034 posts) -

"Star Wars prequels have provoked a bigger fan reaction than any other movies in the mediums history." Wow they must be really good films.

#27 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@Tearhead said:

Meh. It's just marketing spin, not that big of a deal. I'd probably write something similar if I was in that position. I mean, it's not like they're lying.

It kind of is a big deal. They could have picked a million different positive quotes, but they pick the one designed to piss off their already agitated fans. They just don't give a fuck. They didn't do it by accident, it's a blatant fuck you.

#28 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@JeanLuc: That is gross.

#29 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

Are they wrong? Seems pretty factual to me.

#30 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

@Tearhead said:

It kind of is a big deal. They could have picked a million different positive quotes, but they pick the one designed to piss off their already agitated fans. They just don't give a fuck. They didn't do it by accident, it's a blatant fuck you.

You've... never worked in the marketing industry have you....

#31 Edited by Yummylee (21684 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

@Tearhead said:

It definitely goes along with Casey Hudson's train of thought. I recall him saying that he was happy that the ending had gotten such a massive reaction and that everyone was talking about it, despite it all revolving around how terrible it was.

#32 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@babblinmule said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Tearhead said:

I wasn't aware I needed to work in marketing to be allowed to be annoyed by a company insulting me.

#33 Posted by RadBadger (64 posts) -

Bioware/EA: Getting fans hopes up only to have them come crashing down, and using marketing spin to gain new/old fans only to have their hopes come crashing down as well.

Yep, another sound business decision.

#34 Posted by MentalDisruption (1637 posts) -

Holy shit, someone give the marketing team that came up with that spin a pat on the back.

#35 Posted by Encephalon (1262 posts) -

Ha! That's pretty good.

#36 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

I think the way they are spinning it is awesome. haha I bet the whiners are really raging now.

#37 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Hahaha, somewhere my old PR lecturer just got incredibly moist without quite knowing why.

#38 Edited by Tearhead (2168 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

@Tearhead said:

What? Why would they make an ad simply to say "Fuck you!" to people who have already bought the game? Like it or not, the ending has become a big deal in the medium, and it is probably the most discussed ending (be it good or bad) in the history of games. That is a selling point, plain and simple. You don't have to try to find subtext that isn't there, Bioware is just a fucking company, they made that promo to make money, not piss you off.

#39 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

That's an interesting way to twist it. 1,800 years is pretty crazy for what looked like a basic horde mode. I've never played it so maybe it's awesome.

#40 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

@babblinmule said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Tearhead said:

I wasn't aware I needed to work in marketing to be allowed to be annoyed by a company insulting me.

Just saying from a marketing perspective, it's god damn clever. It's been long enough that most of the 'agitated fans' really aren't going to give a feck because they've calmed down, and just enough of a slight spin to entice new customers. Damn clever marketing.

#41 Posted by Demoskinos (14848 posts) -

I don't see whats wrong with it. A "reaction" doesn't have to be good and they didn't insinuate that it was a "good" reaction but simply that fans had a reaction. Props to the marketing department for this.

#42 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (330 posts) -

That's actually pretty clever.

#43 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

Adding normal quoting practices to the list of things people are stupidly losing their shit over.

#44 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@Tearhead said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Tearhead said:

What? Why would they make an ad simply to say "Fuck you!" to people who have already bought the game? Like it or not, the ending has become a big deal in the medium, and it is probably the most discussed ending (be it good or bad) in the history of games. That is a selling point, plain and simple. You don't have to try to find subtext that isn't there, Bioware is just a fucking company, they made that to make money, not piss you off.

Bioware probably had nothing to do with the ad, first of all. And they absolutely do have a reason to say "fuck you", they've been saying it the entire time to people calling out the ending as shit. It's not the first time. It was just never a deliberate marketing tactic before. It's deceitful, it's an insult, and it's taken completely out of context. The fact that it's in the name of making money (and I don't agree that there's nothing personal in there) doesn't somehow make it noble or free of criticism.

#45 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

Sometimes you have to work with what you got.

#46 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

@Bwast said:

That's an interesting way to twist it. 1,800 years is pretty crazy for what looked like a basic horde mode. I've never played it so maybe it's awesome.

They didn't really twist it though. The quote doesn't qualify the 'fan reaction'. Because it isn't qualified nothing about the use of the quote is misleading. The reader puts their own qualification on what the 'fan reaction' pertains to. I see nothing wrong with what they did at all. In fact I think it is clever marketing.

#47 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

Someone is earning their pay.

#48 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Balls

#49 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Brilliant.

#50 Posted by Ares42 (2677 posts) -

Sorry, but I had to =(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.