Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

BioWare email is pretty disgusting.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Bwast said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Bwast said:

They're not misleading people exactly but they are telling half truths.

Half-truth's aren't misleading, then? Care to argue that point a bit more. I think that might be fun.

Yeah, you're right, it's misleading. I just didn't want to be dismissed immediately or get Bioware defense responses by throwing around that kind of language. I've gotten into too many arguments on this site over that company and the only thing it accomplishes is make me look like a guy who likes to argue over trivial shit for basically no reason.

I'm glad to hear you somewhat backtracking from your original statement. The ad was clearly misleading. The point of debate should be if it was meant to be insulting or not.

Anyhow, I stayed away from the internet until I finished the game myself, and I ended up hating the ending without anyone else influencing my opinion. I'm sticking with that opinion, I'm still upset with BioWare, and none of that is going to simply change due to which way the wind is currently blowing.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

If you are still buying EA or Bioware games then you deserve it. I stopped at Dragon Age. Maybe someday you fellows will also "click".

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I salute whoever in EAs marketing who came up with that. That is perhaps the best spin on any quote ever in the video game industry.

It is misleading, but there isn't anything untrue in the statement or the context it is used, they don't say that the reaction was because people loved it or anything. They just say that there was a reaction and quite a big one at that.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104  Edited By Sooty
    @Village_Guy said:

I salute whoever in EAs marketing who came up with that. That is perhaps the best spin on any quote ever in the video game industry.

It is misleading, but there isn't anything untrue in the statement or the context it is used, they don't say that the reaction was because people loved it or anything. They just say that there was a reaction and quite a big one at that.

No way dude. The best spin is calling L.A. Noire a good game!
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#105  Edited By ReyGitano

Heh, that's pretty funny. It reminds me of when Jeff said something along the lines of "If you're invested in Mass Effect, you need to play this game. That being said, it's also those people who will be most disappointed". If you haven't experienced the ending, it's language that's pretty vague, but makes complete sense afterwards.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By Tennmuerti

From a marketing perspective that is one truly brilliant spin.
    As someone with (what i hope) is at least a semblance of a normal moral compass this is of course kind of disgusting.

It's all fine and good to say: it's marketing, that's nothing new
    But such apathy is not everyones cup of tea.
    Sometimes shitty things need to called what they are and brought attention to.
    To try (however insignificantly) to discourage such things in the future.

Also a great PR move on the part of Entertainment Weekly would be to publicly ask EA/Bioware to remove the quote.
    It would be free publicity and good publicity at that.
    Dissatisfied Bioware fans would apreciate i'm sure.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#107  Edited By Captain_Insano

I'm Commander Shepherd and this is my favourite marketing on the Citadel.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#108  Edited By meptron

"mass effect 3 will leave you indifferent" -Me

At least in my opinion. I haven't played it. Not sure if I will. Got a longish list of games I wanna play and ME3 is on the low end of that list. Maybe they can put that on the back of the box.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By Benny

Wow, you know that this email probably has nothing to do with bioware right?

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Benny said:

Not being directly outputted by Bioware doesn't mean it has nothing to do with Bioware.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Bell_End

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

If you are still buying EA or Bioware games then you deserve it. I stopped at Dragon Age. Maybe someday you fellows will also "click".

lol... but ME3 is a fantastic game.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#112  Edited By falling_fast

whatever. all companies do this.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Kazona

I think it's fantastic, actually. They managed to turn a negative into something positive, and they did so without telling a lie.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#114  Edited By dagas

@Kazona said:

I think it's fantastic, actually. They managed to turn a negative into something positive, and they did so without telling a lie.

That skill is useful when doing marketing. Also very useful when talking to your girlfriend as I have found out haha.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Sooty
    @Bell_End said:

I thought it was pretty poor coming from 2, no idea how it's scoring as high as that game. 

Not a terrible game, but uhh, it's not on the same level.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#116  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Disgusting is the right word to use here. The marketing team are geniuses and it'd hardly be the first time a company has taken quotes out of context, but this is just plain dirty and misleading. It's hard to have any respect for a company that does this, but I'd like to think it's entirely EA at fault.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Benny
    @whyareyoucrouchingspock

@Benny said:

Not being directly outputted by Bioware doesn't mean it has nothing to do with Bioware.

I'm sorry but this is 100% EA. All publishers handle marketing.
    thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By thomasnash

I don't really see it as much worse than ads that say things like "10 million copies sold" or whatever; music ads that start out by telling you that it's "the number 1 album." Quantitative information about a thing has no bearing on whether I'll enjoy it or not.

Although I agree that it isn't often you see a negative reaction being used this way, I don't think it's a deliberate jab, it's just that marketing people see high numbers as a positive thing. If anything, you could say that they're acknowledging that everything else to do with these games has been received really well, I think it's fairly obvious that the ending wouldn't have got that reaction if everything else hadn't been pretty damn good

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By The_Nubster

@Bell_End said:

Yeah, it really is. But wait, are we all still holding our hurt butts and pretending that the final five minutes ruined 29.9 other absolutely amazing hours of gameplay? Is that still actually the cool thing to do? Fuck me, anyone who is still bringing out their pitchforks and declaring BioWare to be the anti-Christ need to chill out.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Kazona

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Bwast said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Bwast said:

They're not misleading people exactly but they are telling half truths.

Half-truth's aren't misleading, then? Care to argue that point a bit more. I think that might be fun.

Yeah, you're right, it's misleading. I just didn't want to be dismissed immediately or get Bioware defense responses by throwing around that kind of language. I've gotten into too many arguments on this site over that company and the only thing it accomplishes is make me look like a guy who likes to argue over trivial shit for basically no reason.

I'm glad to hear you somewhat backtracking from your original statement. The ad was clearly misleading. The point of debate should be if it was meant to be insulting or not.

Anyhow, I stayed away from the internet until I finished the game myself, and I ended up hating the ending without anyone else influencing my opinion. I'm sticking with that opinion, I'm still upset with BioWare, and none of that is going to simply change due to which way the wind is currently blowing.

By that logic, any back of the box quote is misleading. Heck, it'd be misleading even if they put the entire paragraph they pulled that quote from on the add since that paragraph could easily be taken out of context without the rest of the article surrounding it.

Applying your logic to marketing it would boil down to every piece of marketing being disgusting because it is misleading the consumer with half truths.

I mean, fuck, these kinds of things happen even outside of marketing. Ever been to court? Quotes from letters and shit get used out of context there all the time.

Do I think that it's (morally) right? No, I don't. But if you're going to call out Bioware (or EA) on this, then you should call out every ad, commercial or whatnot that's been thrown your way and be equally disgusted by those. As it stands you just come across (to me) as someone who is trying to find any reason they can think of to be angry at Bioware.

The quote is not a lie. And any intelligent consumer will see the ad and figure out why ME3 has been so heavily talked about. If they don't, and they buy the game based solely on the ad, then they are, quite simply, idiots and they deserve to be mislead.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Kazona

@dagas: You must teach me this skill, oh great one!

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Bell_End

@Sooty said:

@Bell_End said:

I thought it was pretty poor coming from 2, no idea how it's scoring as high as that game. Not a terrible game, but uhh, it's not on the same level.

i thought it had the great gameplay the second had and a great story like the first. i didn't like the story of the second so much and the first had pretty weak gameplay imo.

ok the ending might no be what i expected it to be, but that did not ruin the hour and hours of great gaming it gave me.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By SarjuTheRapper
    @Toms115:  I'm sorry, I didn't read the full EW article/whatever it may have been. I don't really think that the journo is that much of an idiot, but that out-of-context quote sure does make the non-game aspects of the game's success come to the forefront of the average reader's attention.  

I didn't really like that part, I guess. I would prefer if they were confident enough in the game to let it speak for itself. Obviously this is all the Mass Effect 3's marketing team's "fault," but I wouldn't even say they are at fault, cause they're just doing their job by getting the game in people's mindspace or whatever.  

Excuse my vitriol
    Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Deathmachine117

Do people not realize that of course they would use a quote like that even if it wasn't originally intended to be complimentary.

Its marketing 101.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#126  Edited By veektarius

@AjayRaz said:

props to whoever gave the green light to that

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

God you people are fucking children.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Sooty
    @Bell_End said:

@Sooty said:

@Bell_End said:

I thought it was pretty poor coming from 2, no idea how it's scoring as high as that game. Not a terrible game, but uhh, it's not on the same level.

i thought it had the great gameplay the second had and a great story like the first. i didn't like the story of the second so much and the first had pretty weak gameplay imo.

ok the ending might no be what i expected it to be, but that did not ruin the hour and hours of great gaming it gave me.

It's even more of a corridor shooter than 2 was, has a poor selection of squad mates and hardly any red/blue options in conversations. I was pretty disappointed overall, the ending is actually the smallest issue I take with it.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#129  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Brodehouse said:

God you people are fucking children.

Made me smile :D:D:D

EDIT: In all fairness, this IS a video-game enthusiast website. A majority of them probably ARE children.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Klaimore

Hahaha that's actually funny.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By mordukai

@Sgykah said:

Damn you Bioware! Stop giving us free content for a multiplayer the fans never, ever wanted (although quite a few have begrudgingly agreed that it's pretty decent).

Dopamine. It's called Dopamine.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#132  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Sooty said:

It's even more of a corridor shooter than 2 was

Really? Maybe it's simply a matter of time but I can't remember a single firefight in ME2 that didn't take place in a small area. Granted some of the actual spaces may have been large, but the amount of real-estate you had to maneuver in was always pretty small. By contrast I can think of a handful of really open arenas in ME3 like the one with the Banshees and the one with the Atlas Mechs at the school...?

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By tescovee
    This is how you advertise, fucking pikers
    This is how you advertise, fucking pikers
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#134  Edited By RIDEBIRD

K now I would love to work in EA PR again, that's brilliant

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE

Clever girl.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Enigma777

There's no such thing as bad press.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#137  Edited By Phatmac

Haha nice! Whoever did that should get a raise. Great spin on the whole situation.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Tylea002

Nicely done. Nicely done.

Shitty, but damn you gotta respect that marketing.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Quarters

Heh, this just in, marketing. Nothing that everyone doesn't do already.

Besides, it's kind of hilarious.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#140  Edited By Ramone

That is fucking hilarious.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Gaff

Well, at least they'll dodge the Better Business Bureau with this.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Sooty
    @StarvingGamer said:

@Sooty said:

It's even more of a corridor shooter than 2 was

Really? Maybe it's simply a matter of time but I can't remember a single firefight in ME2 that didn't take place in a small area. Granted some of the actual spaces may have been large, but the amount of real-estate you had to maneuver in was always pretty small. By contrast I can think of a handful of really open arenas in ME3 like the one with the Banshees and the one with the Atlas Mechs at the school...?

ME3 has zero on foot walking around tracking people down, unless you count the Citadel. It's just warping to each mission which is more corridor shooting every time. I remember slightly more variety in 2 for sure.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#143  Edited By project343

@JeanLuc: Most people I know, like in person, have no problems with the ending. The palette-swapped CGI cutscene was a little lazy, but the ambiguity was really fascinating. As they've said on the Bombcast, the fact that fans are reacting with such vigor is a testament to their love for the series and the narrative--it is something that should be advertised. It's sort of akin to the bizarre ending of The Blair Witch Project, except, sci-fi.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By hockeymask27

So mass effect 3 is john cena.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's nothin new, movies do that on boxes all the time. Still is kinda gross though.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Azteck

That's kind of gross.

dyong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By dyong

To me, EW's statement is a more polite way of saying 'fans of the series have kneejerk bandwagon reaction to game, worthy of anything 4chan'.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#148  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@project343 said:

@JeanLuc: Most people I know, like in person, have no problems with the ending.

Interesting. Everyone I know in person hates the ending. Not saying you and your friends are stupid, its just funny is all.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#149  Edited By iamjohn

That's fucking evil. Evil in a way I respect, but evil nonetheless.

Seastalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Seastalk

@Sackmanjones said:

Well played Bioware… Well played… Also it's not false!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.