Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Burned out, or looking forward to more?

• 97 results
    BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrockNRolla

With the confirmation of Leviathan coming in the near future, I've started to think a lot more about the ME series and how much more of my time I'm willing to offer it. While ME3 ended the series on a very sour note for me, ME still stands as one of my favorite series of all time, and contains some of my favorite experiences I've had in gaming, so I feel like I shouldn't write off its future. I was in the process of selling off my copy of ME3 just yesterday, when I backed out for reasons I still can't entirely explain. So where do you stand?

Are you excited and ready for more Mass Effect single player? Do you need more time for your ME3 wounds to heal, but think you'll come around to it? Will you only be willing to give ME another chance once a new game or team is taking a crack at it? Or are you just too burned to give the series another shot?

I for one feel like I could fall into any of these categories at this point, but where are you?

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By _Zombie_

Indifferent. ME3 didn't hold enough appeal to make me play it in the first place.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BrockNRolla

@zombiebigfoot said:

Indifferent. ME3 didn't hold enough appeal to make me play it in the first place.

I'm curious, did you play through ME2? I was so excited to see the game's conclusion after finishing ME2, that I couldn't imagine having not been interested in ME3. Or was your enthusiasm dashed by the bad press surrounding the game?

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just picked ME3 up again and it reminded me of how much I care about that series and the characters within it. I really hope they expand the universe and continue to use it as a stage for epic stories.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By killacam

never again.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By _Zombie_

@BrockNRolla said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

I'm curious, did you play through ME2? I was so excited to see the game's conclusion after finishing ME2, that I couldn't imagine having not been interested in ME3. Or was your enthusiasm dashed by the bad press surrounding the game?

I played the first two games. It was partially the bad press, but around when it came out, I was saving money for other games. It's been long enough since it came out that I just don't have much interest in playing the game.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Mikey2D

I'm of the mind that I'm done with Mass Effect 3 so probably won't pick up this DLC. When the 'extended cut' came out - I simply watched it on youtube and was disappointed.

Maybe one day down the road if I replay 1 2 and 3, I might pick up the new DLC to play and give me some additional content, but I doubt I'd get it to play as a stand alone experience straight away.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

@BrockNRolla: I played and liked ME2, yet I never had much desire to play ME3. I blame the shift in tone (already irked me in ME2) and the demo didn't do much for me.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By buft

Recently i played a bunch of multiplayer and it got me excited for more single player content, I actually really like where the multiplayer went, with more locations and classes it doesnt feel as one sided as it once did with everybody and their dog rolling a vanguard.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger

I haven't even turned on my xbox since I finished ME3 in March, and more ME3 certainly isn't going to change that.

I didn't hate it but it was a huge letdown after the first two games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

Im waiting until its under $20 so I dont have to hate myself for paying not than that.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bell_End

Mass effect is a fantastic game that I really enjoy playing and I refuse to let the negitivity that plagues every new game these days to spoil that.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

Interested in the universe; think I may be done with the gameplay formula for a little while.

Never, ever want to see or hear from Shepard again. That character and arc are over. It would be kinda weird moving forward with the story now that the huge mystery of the universe has been revealed, though. Not sure where else I'd like to see things go.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A played all three games and generally enjoyed, but I don't feel any reason to play anymore of it... Though I am still missing one achievement, huh... Maybe I'll go get that and then be done with it.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Nentisys

Played a like five hours of ME3 on day 1. Haven't touched it since. Which is really weird because I really really loved ME 1 & 2. It just seemed so uninspired. I laughed aloud in several "dramatic" moments because they were so badly executed. Having to jump through loops to import my shepard sucked some enjoyment out too.

Avatar image for disquisedjustin
    DisquisedJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DisquisedJustin

I love the entire series, and I'd say that I actually did enjoy ME3 a little bit more than the general consensus, however, I do have to admit that i am weary about the future. For one, there's not really anything else they can do with those characters, say anything else you will about ME3's ending, it pretty much put a bow on the entire series as far as those characters are concerned (unless you count prequels, which I'm not a huge fan of). Plus, I definately feel like the spark is gone going forward also, now that we've had the end of the saga of Shepherd, and plus you have the Bioshock issue of the first time you encountered that world, it was amazing, and you just can't get the same WOW factor again, sure, I was still blown away by the universe to the same degree in ME2 as ME1 due to ME2 being an overall better game and also expanding on the universe in an even greater sense, but ME3 definately didn't have the same wonder and wimsy that I associated with the first 2 games (the exception being the knowledge you learned from Javik, whom you had to pay an extra $10 for the see that stuff in the first place). Plus, the gimmick of all your actions across the games affecting things in later games just won't be as cool or special going forward. First time you played ME2 and saw how actions in the first game mattered or made a difference was something unique and special that we hadn't really seen before, now that novelty has worn off. I'm not gonna rule out the series going forward as there definately have been cases where a series was able to blow my socks off several times over when I willing to just write it off before even playing it, but I am definately taking my expectations for the future with a grain of salt.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Sackmanjones

Mass effect 3 is a great game. Ready for more although I still need to see my new ending

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BrockNRolla

@AndrewB: Sounds like Leviathan won't be your jam then, even if it is set before the conclusion of the game.

I'm with you though, I'd be interested in seeing a different story. Regardless of whether you thought the ending was positive or negative, it almost seems like they would be better off taking the story in a new direction to distance themselves from some of the bad press. Then again, that would probably be a lot more work.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wjb

I don't necessarily want another Mass Effect, but I'm always up for games that have a mature sci-fi setting on a epic scale, and relies heavily on story and characters instead of "shootin' dudes."

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IBurningStar

The original ending left me feeling so unfulfilled and disappointed that it killed my interest in the franchise. Maybe if another game comes it will bring my feelings towards it back to life, but at it stands now I really don't care to ever revisit the ME universe.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By williamhenry

I loved ME3, but I don't know if I'm interested in any content that takes place before the end of the game. I don't need more back story filled in. I want to know what happens next. I know that with how the game ended, it doesn't leave them a lot of room for new content, but they should have though about that ahead of time.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rjayb89

Too late to stop now.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShadyPingu

I am stunned at how indifferent I am toward ME, now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm ready for more. I really enjoyed my first playthrough. I still haven't seen the new endings but I'm definitely excited for new single-player DLC.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Brendan

I'll know when I see what the content is. At this point I'm not all in for anything no-matter-what like I was with ME 2 DLC, but if it sounds interesting when the details emerge then I'll pick it up.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McBEEF

Didnt enjoy ME3 that much, but I would welcome a new game in the series or a spin-off series. eg. Mass Effect FPS if done with a good story and characters intact, or a prequel/sequel RPG with a new spectre or playing as a krogan in the Rachnii wars

New Mass Effect content will always excite

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I'm very happy with how ME ended, for now I don't feel the need to return for that universe.

bayushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By bayushi

I just finished 3 and finally got a new code from EA so I could play online. I am intrigued by the multiplayer and while no COD, or Rainbow Six Vegas think it's good fun.

I am pretty miffed about the whole EA nickle and diming though. Case in point: $10 for the From Ashes DLC to get another character, $10 if you bought the game used to get online, plus the diabolical hamster wheel of being able to use real money to get booster packs for multiplayer. UGH.

EVIL I say. XD

I also wish they made greater use of the characters from ME2. Not being able to play as Jack or Grunt was a bummer. I ended taking Garrus and Liara T'Soni on the last mission for all times sake.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dany

Maybe, I dunno. The DLC isn't exciting.

I want shepards story to be over and I want a new story taking place some other time or place in the ME universe. The universe they've created for this franchise is massive, just so massive, They can pluck from any part of the trilogy and tell a great story.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AngelN7

I liked ME3 and while I had some issues with the game itself (boring side-quest being one of them) I still thought it was pretty good game so yes I'm excited for new content the Leviathan stuff specially is really interesting because the Mass Effect lore is probably my favorite in any Sci-fi universe ever so all that stuff is right up my alley plus From Ashes was really good and since they' have must of the stuff from the past games cover they can make interesting stories arround stuff that wasn't expanded before in Leviathan's of Dis case the origin of the Reapers.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By Seppli

I'm done with Mass Effect 3. Don't know how they want to salvage the franchise, if they even attempt it at all (who am I kidding)...

ME3 was a good game with a decent overall story, few stellar moments, the best core gameplay in the franchise, very poor exploration, and a shit-tastic ending that was underwhelming in every aspect (and felt oddly self-destructive) - the worst must be the lack of an 'endgame' mechanic (like all the decisive moments in both the finale of ME1 & ME2) - the hollow shell of a war asset accumulation system is hinting at big plans for such, which sadly never came to fruition.

Don't get me started on their shit-tastic freemium coop business scheme. They butchered pacing and fairness of its reward mechanics on the altar of free-2-play with a rusty cleaver, and then pissed and shat all over the corpse of what started out being a fine coop game. Getting to lvl 1000+ and having maxed out all gold weapons, just to increase my chances for redundant bullcrap rewards (which it was way too laden with to begin with). Don't get me started...

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pweidman

Yeah I'll play that. I just love this franchise, and despite the problems that ME3 had, I will play most of the DLC that comes out just like I did w/ME2.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EvilTwin

@BrockNRolla said:

Are you excited and ready for more Mass Effect single player? Do you need more time for your ME3 wounds to heal...?

I think the problem is that my wounds have healed and all that's left is indifference. At least towards anything associated with the current "arc" so to speak. Give me a Mass Effect bounty hunter game in a few years on the next consoles and we'll see how I feel.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RE_Player1

Played through all the games and read all the books and as soon as I finished ME3 I was done with the series. It left such a sour taste in my mouth I can never go back. Even if you gave me that new dlc for free I wouldn't play it.

orshick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By orshick

I wont write off the series but they have an up-hill battle with the next title in the series for sure. I'm just no longer pre-sold on the games and the threads they left in ME3 just don't interest me enough to bother with the DLC or even the expanded ending.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Iodine

I would love something set in the ME universe, but no more Shepard, I have finished my story with him

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FLStyle

Not burned out exactly, just a lot less excited for anything to do with BioWare. Between this and Dragon Age II (and The Old Republic, which although I've never played, seems to have a reputation similar to DAII and ME3), the name of BioWare, which at one point would make me think of descriptions like leaders in video game development, now makes me think about what they're going to screw up next.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I will play all of the story DLC because that's what I do. I must S-Rank all of the Mass Effect games. I MUST.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By gaminghooligan

beat it twice. once with the first ending, once with the "fixed" one. Both endings were fine by me. I think all the controversy and constant discussion of the game just made me sick of the whole thing. I might play the dlc stuff, but the multiplayer is just horde mode with less polish, but I still had fun with both the sp and mp. ME3 was a good game, it suffered from the storytelling diamond, and I've had my fill. But I will say mad props to EA for all the free multiplayer DLC, that stuff has all been cool, even though it isn't going to bring me back. So many games are about to come out, and I thinks it's time for this duder to move on

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kedi2

I'm definitely still interested in more Mass Effect.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

To be honest I'm burned out on Bioware's games in general. I really enjoyed the first Mass Effect, the second a bit less, but I thought Mass Effect 3 was a complete mess and did absolutely nothing interesting with the universe or characters. They took streamlining to another level, a level I honestly found kind of gross.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By smcn

Thirteen. That's the number of times I've played through Mass Effect 3. I plan to make it fifteen when Leviathan comes out.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheCowman

I'll play the DLC and am excited for what they'll do next with the ME universe. Hopefully no prequels, as those leave me flat. Maybe something set a good amount in the future where the differences in ME3's endings could be explained by technological advancements. I'd love to see a Privateer-like game where you can pick your species and make your fortune however you see fit.

I'm in a bit of a different position than the majority it seems. I enjoyed ME3 even with the original endings. I loved Dragon Age 2. Even the Bioware games people hold up as failures seem to be way better than 80% of the games currently available. Heck, I'd love to see them return to Jade Empire at some point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Burned out on Shepard and his story, not burned out on the universe though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM

I'm not sure if the correct words are "burned out", because for me, it's more about the fact the Mass Effect, to me at least, was always to go through the journey of Shepard to reach the end of his goal, or my goal as a player in the ME universe, and now that we already know how it has ended, it makes it hard to decide if I want to enjoy more Mass Effect even though we already know how it's going to end and it's not likely to change with anything else they put out, maybe there'll be more that explains the end, but still. To me, everything else they put out that's going to take place before the ending should be free. I enjoy playing Mass Effect, and you'd think that's enough to want to jump back in, but when they put a cost to it now with the way it's going to be, I just don't know.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rafaelfc

With the way they ended Mass Effect 3, I really don't want to play another game or the DLC for 3...

I actually didn't mind the ending, and think Mass Effect 3 is generally a good game. But something about the way the story ended, I feel like I had a complete experience in the Mass Effect universe and am ready to move on.

I have a similar feeling with the Gears of War and God of War series, they absolutely wrapped up in satisfying (at least for me) ways, that I don't really feel like I need to go back to those worlds.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Justin258

I'm kind of done with the series now. I only bought the Arrival DLC for Mass Effect 2 and none of the others that were supposed to be pretty good, and back then I didn't think of myself as done with the series.

I might go back and replay the series again, yes, but to buy a whole new entry? Only if it goes all The Next Generation on us and skips pretty far forward or backward in time and introduces completely new characters, conflicts, and ideas. Otherwise, I don't feel any need to continue Shephard's story. It's pretty much over now.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By living4theday258

The ME series didnt appeal to me the same way it did to everyone else I'm just like hey a si-fi space roaming game, Nice. whereas everyone else(or a lot of people i know) drooled over it and then bitched about how it ended....So it didn't disappoint me to the same degree so I would indeed get the next mass effect.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By veektarius

I like all three mass effect games, but I never had the urge to put the game back in the machine just to play the DLC. People are talking about how the finality of ME3's ending makes the DLC irrelevant - all of the games' endings made their (post-release) DLC irrelevant. Bring Down the Sky doesn't affect ME1 or ME2 (and the other DLC they released did even less). ME2 definitely didn't need another character (Kasumi) and Overlord and Arrival don't change the course of that game at all. All any of the DLC does is add padding to another playthrough. I've stalled a bit in my second playthrough of ME3, and I might end up being stalled long enough to incorporate the new DLC into my game. But I don't think anything they've done has been substantial enough to justify standalone playing time. I guess I generally feel that way about a lot of games, though.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SmilingPig

I did not finish the 2nd yet, its on my to do list.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.