Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Destroy 4/5k ending Easter Egg... Are we reading to much into it?

Nexnecis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nexnecis

After reading tons of forum posts after 'beating' this damn game , are we putting too much into the thought that the 'Shepard Breathing' ending ( that you get after getting 4/5k EMS ) is canon? We all remember Casey, Et Al, saiying that the "Best" ending is possible without playing ANY multiplayer. 4/5k EMS (!EMS!) is only possible in an un-bugged un-modded game with multiplayer. From what I've read, people who've data-mined the game have found that you'll only be able to get about 7500 or so war assests with a 'perfect' playthrough.

Hence, shouldn't a soldier waking up in N7 armor be just a hint that, yeah, the fight continues in multiplayer?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ghostiet

I don't know. I'm pretty sure they simply lied - they already lied about From Ashes, saying that Javik will appear in the game without that DLC and that mission is simply to enable him as a squadmate.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I think we're putting too much thought into the game period. Far more thought than Bioware put into the last 10 minutes of the game. ZING!

Also, we already have tons of ending threads, so creating another one is unnecessary.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By canucks23

@Ghostiet said:

I don't know. I'm pretty sure they simply lied - they already lied about From Ashes, saying that Javik will appear in the game without that DLC and that mission is simply to enable him as a squadmate.

I don't remember them ever saying that he would show up in the game without the DLC. Source?

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DoctorTran
    @canucks23

@Ghostiet said:

I don't remember them ever saying that he would show up in the game without the DLC. Source?

I was just g
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DoctorTran

Stupid iPhone. I was just going to say that. Any sources on that?

Nexnecis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nexnecis

@DoctorTran said:

Stupid iPhone. I was just going to say that. Any sources on that?

None that I know of, and I've been all over forums since beating ME3.

Man, In 2 posts this thread has been successively trolled. I've been told to shut up and had a stupid rumor attached to it.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DoctorTran

Poor guy. Also yeah, I kind of suppose it could be a hint of multiplayer. But if it were, why not insert that into each ending. Personally, I wonder if it isn't another N7 soldier.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DoctorTran

Poor guy. Also yeah, I kind of suppose it could be a hint of multiplayer. But if it were, why not insert that into each ending. Personally, I wonder if it isn't another N7 soldier.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phantomzxro

that seems kind of random that you beat the game with the destroy 4/5k ems ending to just get a random dude breathing to play multiplayer. you don't get anything special when you do get that ending in multiplayer so i don't see the point of just being in the destroy 4/5k ems ending. I say its one of two things one the indoctrination theory has some ground or it just simply means more dlc on the way.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By onan

@Nexnecis said:

After reading tons of forum posts after 'beating' this damn game , are we putting too much into the thought that the 'Shepard Breathing' ending ( that you get after getting 4/5k EMS ) is canon? We all remember Casey, Et Al, saiying that the "Best" ending is possible without playing ANY multiplayer. 4/5k EMS (!EMS!) is only possible in an un-bugged un-modded game with multiplayer. From what I've read, people who've data-mined the game have found that you'll only be able to get about 7500 or so war assests with a 'perfect' playthrough.

Hence, shouldn't a soldier waking up in N7 armor be just a hint that, yeah, the fight continues in multiplayer?

I think he was implying that you could do other things to raise your galactic readiness that weren't multiplayer in order to get the best ending, like downloading the iPad apps or doing the facebook thing. Still pretty lame, though. Good thing there are PC mods for that sort of thing.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By benspyda

If there is technically a best ending it defeats the purpose of the 'choices' at the end I feel. It would be nice if Shephard lived no matter what choice you made if you filled the green bar. I'd say that would be a fair enough reward for your effort. Opposed to an easter egg in one of the endings if you played the multiplayer.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It was all a dream, so of course he's still alive no matter what.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SonicBoyster

I think we're supposed to read into it. Casey really wanted people to speculate about the ending, and how better to provoke speculation than by adding ambiguous scenes in weird spots? I doubt it is meaningful in a story sense, but it's there to let you read into it however you want to (Indoctrination theory fuel, sequel fuel, giantbomb thread discussion fuel).

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti

Why is there any need to hint at multiplayer at all?
    It's all up in your face anyway, both in the main manu, the ingame N7 missions, and your war assets.
    Secondly the MP fight is only happening during the time period that ME3 is happening, after the ending there are no operations going on period. The fight doesn't continue timeline wise.
    It hinting at MP doesn't make any sense.

Thirdly that cutscene changes depending on whether your Shepard is a dude or a chick respectively.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @canucks23 said:

@Ghostiet said:

Its more of that HES on the disc and you need the DLC to enable him. 
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By SuperWristBands

The only enemies that could exist post game in MP would be left over groups of Cerberus. I really, really don't think that is what they were getting at.

@Tennmuerti said:

Secondly the MP fight is only happening during the time period that ME3 is happening, after the ending there are no operations going on period. The fight doesn't continue timeline wise.It hinting at MP doesn't make any sense.

And this too.

When you promote dudes they go to the front lines of the galactic war or something so it has to take place during the war.

Nexnecis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nexnecis

Agreed 100% with you all in regards to the fiction of where the N7 missions take place, the timing of the war, etc.. It's just IMHO they didn't think this thing through. This whole ending stinks of 'we-ran-out-of-time' syndrome to me. To not get that Easter Egg ending is a very small window, in which the war assets in a perfect playthrough don't allow you to get that 'secret' ending and it seems pretty deliberate (7500/3750... close but no cigar to 4k). It's, basically, a deliberate exclusion based off of nerd math in regards to the ending. I mean, WHY put a secret 'post-credits' ending in when it makes no sense ( seriously, what friggin sense does that post concrete rubble scene make to anyone, outside the IT peeps ).

I agree it makes no sense storywise that MP is promoted post-story; but as such a left field thing to see post credits, and as So contradictory to what they said in pre-release interviews, And seeing they have so close access to the math of the endings, and just assuming how rushed the ending in general seemed to be....

I can totally see it as a 'Play Mp!' post credit thing in ME3. Outside the IT, which would give the game NO ENDING, I can't see any other reason for it. I mean, die in the Citadel, to breathe again in London? Bah...

(PS, sorry for being kinda douchey earlier, it's just I don't post much anywhere and got all nerdy about it. :-/ )

Edit, shit "Thirdly that cutscene changes depending on whether your Shepard is a dude or a chick respectively." I missed reading that earlier. If that's true that could suggest a modicrum of thought into the EE and its hooks into a SP playthrough, which would make the argument moot.

Shit, in this case the ending doesn't even make sense even in marketing terms.

:-(

:-( <-----

815Sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 815Sox

The problem is people keep assuming that it is:

1. Occurring in London.. "Because of the way the rubble looks"... even though the thing they shoot fucking explodes in Shepards face.

2. That it is Shepard and that it isn't anything more then his last gasp.

3. That the Indoc theory is correct, when it just seems like well thought out denial to many.

Potts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Potts

@815Sox said:

The problem is people keep assuming that it is:

1. Occurring in London.. "Because of the way the rubble looks"... even though the thing they shoot fucking explodes in Shepards face.

2. That it is Shepard and that it isn't anything more then his last gasp.

3. That the Indoc theory is correct, when it just seems like well thought out denial to many.

1) The rubble matches the color tone, shape and construction materials seen in Shepard's little jaunt through Londontown. It does not match the Citadel's color scheme or construction materials. Also, you can see buildings in the background that also match the London asthetic.

2) Why would they show anyone other than Shepard there? Shepard is the only N7 soldier that we have met, IIRC.

3) It seems that from the recent poll done here, that there may be more who believe the Indoctrination Theory to be true than you may think from reading forums. It seems that those who believe the ending is exactly as presented may be the vocal minority.

As for the question posed by the OP, I don't think that we are reading too much into it, I think that Shepard will "come back" in the DLC after the events of the ending of the game, whether you got the easter egg in the end or not. I believe the easter egg "Shepard taking a breath" scene was more or a promise of DLC to come to those who put the extra time & effort in, rather than meaning that only those who played the multiplayer enough would get to play the DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.