Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Disgruntled by ME3 ending, gamer takes complaint to FTC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Matterless

Yeah, so this is moronic: http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/outrage-over-mass-effect-3-ending-reaches-ftc-173411384.html

"After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims," wrote the poster (who we're assuming didn't file it under the name El_Spiko). "This is not somethign [sic] I was happy to do, but after the terrible ending that was in no way the product that had been advertised to me and the lack of any kind of response from Bioware/EA to address this, I felt it was one of my only recourses."

The poster in question is also encouraging others to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau.

I did not care for the ending. Like, a lot. But I do not feel the need to involve the Feds. The Bioware forums are a strange, unholy place.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

There is already a thread about this, also someone should punch that dude in the head.

I'll do it for five bucks.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

*sees on Top Posters dock* Do I have a Katawa Shoujo reaction shot to express how stupid I feel the fans are being for this?

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Matterless

Sorry, missed it. Also, got five on it.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By insanejedi

You gotta be fucking kidding me. I don't know if anyone remembers, but Valve put this out as to what Half Life 2 would be like.

AFAIK No one got uppity about them lying about previews like this. I was sorely disappointed when HL2 came out. People lie about previews, get over it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Taking your feelings about the ending to the creator to get them to change it directly makes sense, especially in a world of direct feedback.

Taking your complaints to the government to get them to force the creator to change it is FUCKING HILARIOUS. It's so funny it makes me insane.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakkblades

I don't think you could have written a better ME3 ending. The actual presentation, I'll grant you, was weak, but they really had no choice. It was going to have an unsatisfying conclusion. If you want I'll draw you narrative flow charts to demonstrate.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PillClinton

@jakkblades: Please do.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Atary77

I heard about this and it really seems pretty stupid honestly. I didn't like the ending either but I wouldn't go this friggen far.

If anything I'd certainly would like Casey Hudson to at least ADMIT they didn't have time to do a lot of the things they wanted but, what are ya gonna do?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ShadowConqueror

So the ending sucked, get over it.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Drebin_893

@jakkblades said:

I don't think you could have written a better ME3 ending. The actual presentation, I'll grant you, was weak, but they really had no choice. It was going to have an unsatisfying conclusion. If you want I'll draw you narrative flow charts to demonstrate.

If you legitimately could do that, I'd like to see it?

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jmfinamore

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. This actually managed to top the petition to change the ending in terms of stupid, rampant self-entitlement. What is wrong with people?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Ravenlight

I think the best way for these people to effect change about the ME3 ending would be to kill themselves. For the children.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ichthy

@ShadowConqueror said:

So the ending sucked, get over it.

As it turns out, some people can't.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

People take things way too far, way too often.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Matterless

I don't know if this is already a topic, but it is certainly relevant: Apparently Amazon and Origin are offering FULL refunds to dissatisfied customers. I can't remember the last time Amazon was reimbursing people for open copies of a game. Microsoft is also selling the game for $40 with free shipping. If you're going to send a message, I imagine this is a more effective way to express your disappointment than involving the Federal Trade Commission.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakkblades
    No Caption Provided

SPOILERS:@Drebin_893: Reversed and blurry but you can see the shape, which is all that matters. They should be read right to left. On the top you have the diagram of ME3. The bottom is Hamlet. As you can see, Hamlet's plot elements, except R&G who are dead, all connect at the end of the play, even characters and themes that move in and out through most of the action. On the other hand, ME3's actual ending only closes the Shepherd, Reaper, and Earth plot elements, though perhaps I could have put the Joker/Edi payoff in there as well. Other plot elements have concluded long before. The Anderson/Illusive Man confrontation closes those two elements which have not been universally present throughout the game. Anderson is completely absent for the principal action, returns at the end to active agency in the story. All other elements, love interests, races, party member conflicts and developments, have all paid off prior to the ending, and the ending of those mini-arcs does not tie into the larger arc, which as shown by this diagram concludes elements that have been mostly absent for the duration of the game, Anderson, the Illusive Man, and Earth. A plot should tighten as it moves, drawing more threads to the single thread, not hacking them to pieces one by one. As a general rule, the more plot elements you pay off prior to the conclusion, the weaker the conclusion will be.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Matterless

(I finished the story last night and have lifted my ME news embargo. I apologize if these are all retread topics of conversation.)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Degringolade said:

(I finished the story last night and have lifted my ME news embargo. I apologize if these are all retread topics of conversation.)

I wouldn't worry about it.  The other thread had a really vague title that didn't explain what it was about until you read the post itself.
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By MEATBALL

I too am disappointed that mass effect 3 isn't one of the greatest literary works in history

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By CaLe

I only care enough to come in here and say I don't care.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

@insanejedi said:

You gotta be fucking kidding me. I don't know if anyone remembers, but Valve put this out as to what Half Life 2 would be like.

AFAIK No one got uppity about them lying about previews like this. I was sorely disappointed when HL2 came out. People lie about previews, get over it.

What do you mean, half life 2 was like that.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By williamhenry

I still can't believe that the last 15 minutes of a game are bad enough to ruin the previous 30+ hours. I personally didn't have any problems with the ending. Its clearly not the best ending they could have came up with, but I'm not outraged over it.

I've said it many times, but video gamers are the worst. They are never happy and nothing is ever good enough. Video games as a medium will never hit that next level until the audience grows the fuck up and stops acting like spoiled children. You don't see other mediums getting this type of outrage and thats because those audiences are mature enough not to act like this. If you don't like the ending, then fine, but complaining to the FTC or the BBB over it? Thats just fucking ridiculous and is pure entitlement bullshit. Get over yourself.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Matterless

While it may not be of interest to many of you, a lot of people view Bioware as one of the few touchstones in the industry for quality story-based action adventure games/RPGs. This de facto boycott has to be having an economic impact. There's still so much invested (monetarily) in SWOTR that has yet to pay itself off. And this is EA, who famously goes out of the way to make big promises about their bottom line. Bleeding money = even more rushed games without the care and attention to detail that have heretofore typified Bioware's releases. To the degree that you see Bioware as a force for good in the industry, the implications could be huge.

Unless you subscribe to the theory that this has all been an indoctrination plot masterminded by Casey Hudson to destroy EA from the inside.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaptainCharisma

It's one stupid person who did this. No need to lump every gamer into the "spoiled children" category.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@CaptainCharisma said:

It's one stupid person who did this. No need to lump every gamer into the "spoiled children" category.

Unfortunately a lot of people will. We should go find this guy and jump his ass for doing that dumb shit. I wasn't happy with the ending either but damn.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By trace

While the OP here is far more detailed, there's already a topic on the FTC complaint with plenty of replies, and man, we have way too many ME3 ending threads floating around as it is.

For the sake of reducing redundancy on these topics, let's move the conversation to that thread or one of the 10.6 million* other ending threads. Thanks!

*According to irate users flipping out over the amount of ending threads

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.