Do you want conversations in the elevator?

  • 0 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Trylks (825 posts) -
#2 Posted by Trylks (825 posts) -

AFAIK that was in ME1 but not in ME2. I think it is a no brainer, but at some point (distant now) we will see what the developers do in the end.

#3 Posted by AsianSwagger (151 posts) -

I prefer the elevator conversations to loading screens. 

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

Were there even elevators in ME2 that you stood in for the ride?

#5 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3479 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" Were there even elevators in ME2 that you stood in for the ride? "
I don't think so ;(
Online
#6 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Yes. Beats a loading screen. 

#7 Posted by innacces14 (733 posts) -

If they make just one elevator conversation that'll be enough for me to adore the game. Any more and Bioware would be abusing the privilege.

#8 Posted by Dtat (1621 posts) -

Absolutely. The characters are the best part of the game, and I'll take dialogue over boring loading screen that's just as long.
#9 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -
@Dtat said:
" Absolutely. The characters are the best part of the game, and I'll take dialogue over boring loading screen that's just as long. "
This.  I just want more triggered dialogue, period (similar to Dragon Age stuff).
#10 Edited by Bolthor (86 posts) -

I don't want elevators at all, why cant they just have stairs in the Normandy? I hate the loading times there.

#11 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

Just make i@mylifeforAiur said:

" @ajamafalous said:
" Were there even elevators in ME2 that you stood in for the ride? "
I don't think so ;( "
There's at least one, in Miranda's loyalty mission.  She gets upset about it taking so long.
 
I don't really care whether they go load screen or elevator for most areas, but it must surely be possible for them to make it so you can at least walk around the entire Normandy without a load.  That's where it's really noticeable.
#12 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -
@AsianSwagger said:
" I prefer the elevator conversations to loading screens.  "
This.  Overall ME1 was a much more immersive experience than ME2 and it's something I really missed while playing - walking around the Citadel instead of just teleporting around (likewise for the Mid and Upper decks of the Normandy). The load screens just kind of take you out of it, at least with the elevators they were 'hidden'.
#13 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

This was one of those changes that I couldn't understand. People poked fun at the elevators, and I couldn't figure out why. They'd have news updates, you'd hear banter between your squadmates. It was all quite nice compared to the silly looking load screens from ME2.
 
And I'll agree with Jimbo about the Normandy. Seriously, there's no reason for a load there, even on the larger Normandy. Especially when you're traipsing all over the thing after every story mission to talk to your entire crew. It took up way too much time. I don't mind mission-specific load times, but otherwise they should be minimal. The Normandy wasn't that big compared to the mission levels. I understand what they were trying to do (you go to the Normandy so often, why load the whole thing every time?) but the game made us go and talk to everyone. So visiting the whole ship was a given.
 
I actually appreciated the effort they made in the first game to mask the load times with something at least somewhat interesting.

#14 Posted by Cerberus3Dog (195 posts) -
@SteamPunkJin said:
" @AsianSwagger said:
" I prefer the elevator conversations to loading screens.  "
This.  Overall ME1 was a much more immersive experience than ME2 and it's something I really missed while playing - walking around the Citadel instead of just teleporting around (likewise for the Mid and Upper decks of the Normandy). The load screens just kind of take you out of it, at least with the elevators they were 'hidden'. "
Yes, I felt the same way. Although the time you spent running and gunning with Shepard may have been vastly improved for ME2; the feeling of immersion was not as noticeable as the first one. This could of been by just the sheer amount of information you got in ME1 but it was something that I felt was missing from the sequel. Also, soundtrack is not nearly as interesting. All in all, hidden elevators is a yes for me. Just use magic to make them quicker.
#15 Posted by eccentrix (1426 posts) -

Slightly off-topic, but I'm not starting a new topic for it: One of my favorite things about ME1 was exploring unexplored planets and jumping around in the Mako. Why do probes get all the fun?

#16 Posted by Moody_yeti (369 posts) -

Riding around in a janky mako exploring planets that really dont have much going on in them? err 
 
But yeah id  rather have a conversation than another loading screen.

#17 Posted by Jadeskye (4359 posts) -

i was actually a fan of the ME2 loading screens.

#18 Posted by nirokogaseru (149 posts) -

I would like the elevator conversations with one caveat: faster and shorter elevator rides... beats a loading screen, but it's still pretty annoying when you're on the elevator for ten seconds longer than the conversations.

#19 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -

I wish the elevators were longer (Sigh).

#20 Posted by Glak (613 posts) -

Hell yea if I do
If they have to put a loading screen might as well make it interesting with elevator conversations, at least they were funny sometimes

#21 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2826 posts) -
@ajamafalous: There was in fact one elevator in Mass Effect 2. In Miranda's loyalty mission you go through two elevators to get to mission points while you two engage in dialogue. Although, I believe there was still a loading screen after the dialogue.
 
Yeah, I prefer elevators with dialogue far better than a loading screen.
#22 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -
@InfamousBIG said:
" @Dtat said:
" Absolutely. The characters are the best part of the game, and I'll take dialogue over boring loading screen that's just as long. "
This.  I just want more triggered dialogue, period (similar to Dragon Age stuff). "
The dragon age ones are great, especially the ones between Sten and Morrigan. 
#23 Posted by Geno (6479 posts) -

Should be more inter-character dialogue in general. I hate how they didn't have that in ME2 other than an extremely small handful. 

#24 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

Doesn't matter to me.  I actually liked the loading screens in Mass Effect 2.

#25 Posted by nirokogaseru (149 posts) -
@DonutFever said:
" I wish the elevators were longer (Sigh). "
I spent a whole minute laughing at that.
#26 Posted by mpgeist (578 posts) -
@AsianSwagger said:
" I prefer the elevator conversations to loading screens.  "
Agreed.  Also, no more post mission screens.  Nothing took me out of the game more than those stupid things.  If Bioware feels the need to keep that data then put it in the email system.
#27 Posted by TheMasterDS (1867 posts) -

I'd rather have it just do what Starcraft II did and make it a big menu where you warp between the parts of the ship in an instant instead of running around a big space and having to load every now and again. Mass Effect 2's approach might have been more immersive, but Starcraft II's was just fucking better in every other regard.

#28 Posted by rjayb89 (7713 posts) -

Maybe if there were conversations I could control in the elevator, then maybe.  Maybe some set up for the upcoming battle, or maybe trivial questions about a squad mate's history.

#29 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

Playing on PC meant the load screens were so much faster than the elevators. So I didn't miss them myself, but if they were to bring them back there would have to be conversations.

#30 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -
#31 Posted by RVonE (4479 posts) -

After all the complaints BioWare received about the elevators, I love how they just gave us all a big "fuck you" by making us watch a loading screen with schematics of an elevator moving from floor to floor. Well played, BioWare. Well played.
#32 Posted by nirokogaseru (149 posts) -
@RVonE said:
" After all the complaints BioWare received about the elevators, I love how they just gave us all a big "fuck you" by making us watch a loading screen with schematics of an elevator moving from floor to floor. Well played, BioWare. Well played. "
Agreed.
#33 Posted by solidlife (874 posts) -

If its a women why not.

#34 Posted by dablemont (80 posts) -

Wow, as of this post, more than 50% of us actually want it back. I thought I was alone on that one! XD
I enjoyed it a lot on the first game. Gave character and personality to the game, more realism.

#35 Posted by nirokogaseru (149 posts) -

I suppose it's more fun to hear a conversation in an elevator than stare at the same well viewed schematics in ME2.

#36 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -

If they have elevators, give on conversations. But on the whole id rather not have Elevators.

#37 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3321 posts) -

 I'll take hours upon hours upon hours of various dialogue in the elevators over fucking loading screens!
The only elevator that ever annoyed me in ME1 was the Normandy one because you were alone. But that could have been solved with squad mates talking to Shepard over the radio or with Shepard just randomly starting to sing or mope about how tough his life is. 

#38 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -
@Cerberus3Dog said:
" @SteamPunkJin said:
" @AsianSwagger said:
" I prefer the elevator conversations to loading screens.  "
This.  Overall ME1 was a much more immersive experience than ME2 and it's something I really missed while playing - walking around the Citadel instead of just teleporting around (likewise for the Mid and Upper decks of the Normandy). The load screens just kind of take you out of it, at least with the elevators they were 'hidden'. "
Yes, I felt the same way. Although the time you spent running and gunning with Shepard may have been vastly improved for ME2; the feeling of immersion was not as noticeable as the first one. This could of been by just the sheer amount of information you got in ME1 but it was something that I felt was missing from the sequel. Also, soundtrack is not nearly as interesting. All in all, hidden elevators is a yes for me. Just use magic to make them quicker. "
That's just a thing that comes with it being a trilogy. 
  • Part 1 exists to build the world 
  • Part 2 exists to build the characters 
  • Part 3 exists to face the Antagonist that should of been built up in part 1 and 2.
 
I haven't been bothered by any of the gameplay stuff they've done, just make the Normandy one location you did it with the Citadel in both games.
#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Yes!
The whiners got their loading screens in ME2, I want my elevator convo's back in ME3!
 
I need more Wrex asking people who would win in a fight between them and Shepard.

#40 Posted by Cazamalos (982 posts) -

i don't want every loading screen to be a long elevator ride, but if they put some elevators with conversations here and there would be nice

#41 Posted by Anund (849 posts) -

I answered "No", but I thought we were talking about real life eleveators.

#42 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

I have played Mass Effect(PC) 3 times and I don't know why people hate the elevators!!! Were the "loading screens" on the Xbox version so long that people hate the elevators? 
So... yes plz,I want elevator conversations :)

#43 Posted by Pezen (1466 posts) -

Yes, I goddamn hated those loading screens and actually didn't jump on the elevator-hatewagon back when the first one was out.

#44 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1852 posts) -

As long as it isn't a regular part of the game, an elevator conversation here and there is fine.

#45 Posted by clubsandwich (3796 posts) -
@Bolthor said:
" I don't want elevators at all, why cant they just have stairs in the Normandy? I hate the loading times there. "
This.
#46 Posted by Fruitcocoa (474 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" Were there even elevators in ME2 that you stood in for the ride? "
I can't remember if it was Mirandas loyalty mission or some DLC-mission but there's one where they clearly are joking about the elevator rides in Mass Effect.
#47 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I would love if they did that, specific conversations in general during load times, or them cracking jokes about elevators, something self awared. 
#48 Posted by Geno (6479 posts) -

Not just in the elevator, but everywhere. There was too little of that in ME2. 

#49 Posted by scorch62 (103 posts) -

As interesting as ME2's loading screens could be to look at, I much prefer the elevator conversations. Especially when I had Wrex with me.

#50 Posted by natetodamax (19136 posts) -

I don't want any elevators, but I guess they're better than a boring loading screen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.