EA nominating themselves for the Karl Marx award early this year

#1 Posted by Nymphonomicon (97 posts) -

It was recently revealed (IE today) that EA has hidden the codes for the multitude of DLC associated with Mass Effect 3 in various products and expect their customers to then run out and buy them. A cross promotion like this might be a nice slice of easter egg hunting joy if handled by a good publisher, but since this is EA at the reigns, they expect us to fork over $870+ for a handful of DLC codes.

http://www.destructoid.com/it-will-cost-you-around-870-to-get-mass-effect-3-s-dlc-222045.phtml

http://www.i4u.com/2012/02/it-will-cost-you-around-870-get-mass-effect-3s-dlc

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-General-Discussion-No-ME3-Spoilers-allowed/870-for-everything-ME3--9323190-1.html

#2 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

RAAAAAAAAGE! I WILL NEVER BUY AN EA GAME NOW!!!11! I'M SO ANGRY!

Nope, weapon unlocks doesn't bother me.

#3 Posted by TheGorilla (230 posts) -

Isn't all this just dumb extra weapons and skins? I don't think they really expect anyone to pay them $870 to get everything. Isn't the whole point to get one or two cool unique things and move on? The only thing they could do which would really suck is to hide a particularly cool weapon with some kind of truly unique ability that makes the game significantly more enjoyable. I guess if you are a super completionist and want EVERYTHING then this sucks, but I don't really get that.

#4 Posted by Zippedbinders (1030 posts) -

About 2/3 of that money is tied to PC accessory purchases that do nothing more than unlock a thing early. Its stupid, but ultimately unnecessary. Both from an investment point as well as something worthing getting upset over.

#5 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

I find it funny that the Collector Assault Rifle is the exact same weapon that was DLC in Mass Effect 2.

#6 Posted by Bleeble (95 posts) -

Most of these are things you can unlock in multiplayer. I don't think a whole lot of people are buying Mass Effect for the multiplayer.

#7 Edited by stinky (1551 posts) -

first you don't have to buy it.

second, its all practically the same thing: Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup

how many collector Assault Rifles do you need?

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Its silly, but I just ignore DLC, usually works.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I thought this was a literal thing, not some clever metaphor. I'll just say that it sucks, but since both publishers and retailers love it (and there's no way gamers would come together in a concentrated effort to boycott this game over retailer specific DLC), I doubt we'll see an end to it.

#10 Edited by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

The only thing I'm upset about is you can overpower a multiplayer weapon by buying their keyboard.

As far as everything else, it's just unnecessary weapons. Now if it was story or quest DLC, then I would be pissed.

#11 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@pw2566ch said:

As far as everything else, it's just unnecessary weapons. Now if it was story or quest DLC, then I would be pissed.

I agree.
#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4751 posts) -
@Nymphonomicon said:

EA nominating themselves for the Karl Marx award early this year

Oh, fuck off.
#13 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

The actual act of them doing this doesn't really bother me since it just seems like odd weapons and costumes for the game, what I'm more worried about is if a significant number of people go out and buy this stuff, and EA get it that little bit further into their heads that customers will happily hand them plenty of money as part of exploitative deals. Certainly this kind of deal doesn't exactly scream respect for the customer, even if it's not the worst thing in the world.

#14 Edited by Nymphonomicon (97 posts) -
#15 Posted by mordukai (7184 posts) -

@Gargantuan said:

RAAAAAAAAGE! I WILL NEVER BUY AN EA GAME NOW!!!11! I'M SO ANGRY! Nope, weapon unlocks doesn't bother me.

Considering that...

A. They'll be available in a few months as useless DLC.

B. The weapons they provide you in-game is much better.

RAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!

#16 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -
@Mordukai said:

@Gargantuan said:

RAAAAAAAAGE! I WILL NEVER BUY AN EA GAME NOW!!!11! I'M SO ANGRY! Nope, weapon unlocks doesn't bother me.

Considering that...

A. They'll be available in a few months as useless DLC.

B. The weapons they provide you in-game is much better.

RAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!

I know, that's why I said that weapon unlocks doesn't bother me.
#17 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Most of the costs is just a gun.

Overreaction much?

#18 Edited by Nymphonomicon (97 posts) -

I would have explained that the "Karl Marx Award" is a /v/ga award for being a greedy publisher, but I didn't have enough room in the title.

...that and I was in kind of a hurry to report this since I didn't see anyone else on GB forums talking about this.

#19 Posted by Beforet (2931 posts) -

Wait...that's not communism! Just get my hopes up!

#20 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

ignore it , also it worked for skylanders why not mass effect

#21 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4743 posts) -

@stinky said:

second, its all practically the same thing: Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup

ALL OF THE RIFLES

Seriously though, I agree that people are overreacting waaaaaaay too much over this.

#22 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -
@BabyChooChoo said:

@stinky said:

ALL OF THE RIFLES

Seriously though, I agree that people are overreacting waaaaaaay too much over this.

The guy himself said this Karl Marx award.... thing is some sort of /v/ stuff. So that should probably tell you all you need to know about the mind that thought this was topic worthy.
#23 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

@Nymphonomicon said:

I would have explained that the "Karl Marx Award" is a /v/ga award for being a greedy publisher, but I didn't have enough room in the title.

...that and I was in kind of a hurry to report this since I didn't see anyone else on GB forums talking about this.

/v/?

Do you want us to hate fucking everything you say?

#24 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

A waste of time and money is how I would describe this thread and everything discussed within

#25 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

A Spectre is haunting the universe - the Spectre of Shephard.

#26 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I find it funny that most people don't give a shit about how DLC is handled anymore. Seems like we're just used to taking it up the bum by big companies. While their isn't anything we can do to change this trend, I fear it's already crossed the line. Shit like this wouldn't be tolerated if our stance on DLC wasn't so messed up right now. I'm not going to boycott ME3 or anything, but this shit is messed up and it doesn't seem to be slowing down soon. I think we should expect more examples of Catwomen DLC in the future. Soon enough single player content will be taken out too. Just a hunch since no one seems to be doing anything about the DLC conundrum. Just sayin'

#27 Posted by chrissedoff (2159 posts) -

Good thing nobody gives a damn what anyone from 4chan thinks.

#28 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

I get the feeling there are quite a few people out there devoting a lot of time and effort to try and find any possible way to bash Bioware and EA no matter how idiotic.

#29 Posted by WiqidBritt (578 posts) -

this isn't really anything to get all rage-y over, you aren't getting new worlds to explore this way, you're getting cosmetic upgrades, and there's no reason you'd want to get every single one, it's a nice bonus that you get for buying something else you might want. No one is gonna buy the Art Book just because it comes with a special gun.

#30 Posted by PenguinDust (12603 posts) -

Who cares really? No one is going to be playing the multiplayer in 6 months anyway.

#31 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

This is a pretty huge exaggeration. First of all, you only need 1 collector assault rifle. True, if you get more objects, you can upgrade it, but it the upgrade caps out at 5. He lists far more than 5 things, making many of them a complete waste (although even 2 is a waste, really).

#32 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -

I don't understand how people look at say, the Action figures, or the Art book, and rather than think 'hey, I'll buy that, and get a free weapon to use in game! That's alright, I guess', they go 'OMG THAT MAKES THIS PIECE OF DLC $20! BIOWHORE RAWRRAWRRAWR'. They're not asking you to pay 20 bucks for a Collector Assault Rifle. They're asking you to pay twenty bucks for an action figure, or a book, that comes with a DLC token for a Collector Assault rifle. If you're genuinely stupid enough to buy an Art book or a Tali figure just for the free DLC attached to it, well then, you're just being stupid. But for people who want a Mass Effect figure on their desk, or want to own the Artbook, it's just an additional little tidbit that comes with the product they want.

#33 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

"It isn't that bad having someone shit down your throat, stop complaining and deal with it. Oh boy seconds."

This is what most of you seem like when talking about DLC.

#34 Posted by Giefcookie (610 posts) -

This just makes me feel like we need to have a word for weapons/skins/whatever. DLC, atleast in the context of a game like ME makes me think of Lair of the Shadowbroker or Overlord. Actual content, not weapon packs.

#35 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

The only thing I'm upset about is you can overpower a multiplayer weapon by buying their keyboard.

It doesn't "overpower" it, it just upgrades it one rank. You'll get TONS of these rank upgrades for many different weapons as you play Multiplayer, and the rank upgrades don't do that much. It's REALLY not a big deal.

#36 Posted by Draugen (682 posts) -

It's an honour just to be self-nominated.

#37 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

There's nothing remotely greedy about using incentives to help sell games. If you don't like the value offered, don't buy it. The overreaction to these sorts of things has become tiresome.

#38 Posted by lclay (383 posts) -

Hey so I played the ME3 demo a couple of times and to my total shock and horror it was still totally Mass Effect and still totally awesome. 

So they're doing some weird shit with their release of some shitty extra weapon/skins DLC? Who cares?

#39 Posted by Tomkang (251 posts) -

People just so you know, If you have the collectors assault rifle and any other bonus gear in ME2 it does transfer. I was lucky enough to download all the preorder and collectors edition gear for ME2 when someone released them on the xblm.

#40 Posted by buft (3321 posts) -

@stinky said:

LOL after reading your comment i re-read the article and couldn't contain my laughter, this is the most straight up biased article i have ever read, like $400 of accessories for that one peice of DLC and he counted it each time.

#41 Posted by Nymphonomicon (97 posts) -

@jillsandwich said:

@Nymphonomicon said:

/v/?

Do you want us to hate fucking everything you say?

I only rarely post on these forums, I doubt any of you will remember me the next time I have anything to say.

#42 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@Ursus_Veritas said:

I don't understand how people look at say, the Action figures, or the Art book, and rather than think 'hey, I'll buy that, and get a free weapon to use in game! That's alright, I guess', they go 'OMG THAT MAKES THIS PIECE OF DLC $20! BIOWHORE RAWRRAWRRAWR'. They're not asking you to pay 20 bucks for a Collector Assault Rifle. They're asking you to pay twenty bucks for an action figure, or a book, that comes with a DLC token for a Collector Assault rifle. If you're genuinely stupid enough to buy an Art book or a Tali figure just for the free DLC attached to it, well then, you're just being stupid. But for people who want a Mass Effect figure on their desk, or want to own the Artbook, it's just an additional little tidbit that comes with the product they want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.