Face import is bad.

• 101 results
#51 Posted by AndrewB (7490 posts) -

@galloughs said:

Another reason people should stick to the default Shepard!

Yeah... I did, but I'm concerned that the old default female will be goofified. The new one isn't as good.

#52 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

Wow, those femshep pictures are hilariously bad. I'm quite glad I was uncreative and stuck to the default Shepard now.

#53 Edited by Bones8677 (3210 posts) -
Mass Effect 2 Shepard
Mass Effect 3 Demo Shepard
#54 Posted by l3roken (113 posts) -

#55 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
@Napalm said:

I've always learned not to go too high with the jaws and cheeks because they tend to get a bit pointy and unnatural. When all else fails, go a bit lower on the scales, as there is probably a less chance of deformities. I assume since they are using a different/improved engine, they just take the face codes and convert them to the new system. It doesn't actually scan the face and recreate it. It just inputs the code.

Believe me I tried correcting the imports to proper faces. But the face editor is just build different this time around with different upper/lower limits on sliders and different default bone structures. I can't make a femshep even resembling what I had in ME2. >.<
I think it might also have to do with her hairstyle as well. I know a few hairstyles in both the previous games usually entail enlarging the forehead by quite a bit. I also try to account for anything that may end up looking awkward. But yeah, your original female Shepard does have cheeks that stick out, and it looks like the conversation only made that more prominent. Also, your jowls are fucked, too.
#56 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

@Bones8677: yep same face i have that i can't recreate. sucks. apparently in ME3 you're 15 years old.

#57 Posted by Bones8677 (3210 posts) -

@l3roken said:

It looks worse than it is. I played through some of the demo with her, and it doesn't feel too out of place. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I'll probably tinker with it and make her look older.

Judging by the OP's Shep. Your mileage may vary in how good or bad they look.

#58 Posted by l3roken (113 posts) -

Sort of glad I was extremely lazy and went with vanilla male shep for my primary playthrough...they cant mess that up...or can they?

#59 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Thanks for the info and pics. That's real disappointing. I have to say though that I think your femshep import looks a lot worse than your maleshep. I don't think that male discrepancy is all that bad.

#60 Posted by VoleMaulder (62 posts) -

A change in hairstyle is no big deal, for me at least. I mean, people change their hair sometimes. Especially women. Changes in bone structure can alienate you, though. I can only hope my 2 Shepards look OK enough so that I won't have to spend an entire day tweaking sliders, playing 15' and then restarting again.

One other thing. In ME 2 (I don't remember if this was the case in 1, as well), the face looked a bit different in-game than in the creation screen. So, maybe comparing screenshots from the squad menu with screenshots from the character creation screen on 3 is not the best way to judge if it transferred OK. Just a thought that I'm throwing out there. The first screenshots show a definite change, so maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part.

#61 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -

Default Shepard is the main character. I find it silly creating someone in these games.

#62 Posted by VoleMaulder (62 posts) -

My Shepard is the only main character. I don't know who these strange people that everyone keeps posting pictures of are.

#63 Posted by AndrewB (7490 posts) -

@Mikewrestler5 said:

Default Shepard is the main character. I find it silly creating someone in these games.

I agree with this in the case of Mass Effect, but for the people who do it and have potentially over a hundred hours sunk into their character, I can see where accuracy matters.

#64 Edited by Marz (5642 posts) -

yeah i've had a hard time maintaining the beauty of my female shepard.   It's like... they added a layer of wrinkles and facial emotions that don't quite look right with the same face code.

#65 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

Everybody hates on the ME character creator, but my male and female Shepard look better than either default Shepard.

#66 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

Had the same problem, can't import my female shep, she looks completely different.

#67 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -
@Bones8677 Both your Shepard's actually look pretty good. New appears to have flatter cheekbones and a more angular jaw.

Can you correct your Shepard when you port it? That always bothered me with 2, you either had to stick to what you had or go default.
#68 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

@samcotts said:

Everybody hates on the ME character creator, but my male and female Shepard look better than either default Shepard.

I totally agree with this. Somehow I accidentally managed to make my Shephard look exactly like Tim Allen.

It's fucking awesome.

I don't know why anyone would use the default face. It probably wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't chosen such an ugly guy to scan the face of. My choice is between space Tim Allen or ugly default Shephard?

Suffice to say, I want my face import reasonably well.

#69 Posted by CyborgDuo (105 posts) -

This will give me a chance to fix my Frankenstein!

Seriously, why did I create a bald Shepard and NOT use the default? *facepalm*

#70 Posted by Bones8677 (3210 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Bones8677 Both your Shepard's actually look pretty good. New appears to have flatter cheekbones and a more angular jaw. Can you correct your Shepard when you port it? That always bothered me with 2, you either had to stick to what you had or go default.

Yeah I could continue changing my shepard. Though there was no import feature, I had to manually input the identity code. So I don't know if the actual import will disallow you customize further.

#71 Posted by Thoseposers (780 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

@samcotts said:

I totally agree with this. Somehow I accidentally managed to make my Shephard look exactly like Tim Allen.

It's fucking awesome.

I don't know why anyone would use the default face. It probably wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't chosen such an ugly guy to scan the face of. My choice is between space Tim Allen or ugly default Shephard?

Suffice to say, I want my face import reasonably well.

i demand pics!

#72 Posted by Tennmuerti (7998 posts) -
@samcotts said:

Mine did as well (imo) in ME1&2
Not in ME3 :(

@Brodehouse said:
@Bones8677 Both your Shepard's actually look pretty good. New appears to have flatter cheekbones and a more angular jaw. Can you correct your Shepard when you port it? That always bothered me with 2, you either had to stick to what you had or go default.
Yes you can adjust after importing.
#73 Edited by donkeyscrotes (69 posts) -

I wish i could import (or at least recreate) my Saints Row the Third character.

I was pretty disappointed with my creation from 1 and 2 so think I may just go default Shepard in this one.

Edit: I second Tim Allen pics.

#74 Posted by Delphic (62 posts) -

The face import sounds like a bit of a disappointment, but that makes me think that maybe that's a good thing. When crafting my Mass Effect story I thought about the setting of the story. Shepard had been burnt up in an atmosphere and spent two years in a clean lab on an operating table. When I first came up with my Shepard in ME 1 he had hair, but I thought that maybe if he spent time being monitored in a lab they would more than likely keep him fairly clean cut. So my Shepard who once had a head of hair was suddenly shaved. I think that maybe by the time ME 3 rolls around my Shepard would have had the time to grow his hair back. When you are designing your Shepard's face you either have to accept a pre-determined face or create a completely knew one.

To me making the story of Mass Effect seem more real would mean Shepard changing as well.

#75 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

The hair is completely wrong and the face is "fatter"

#76 Posted by Xeiphyer (5594 posts) -

Kinda looks like your graphics aren't maxxed out either.

#77 Edited by Tennmuerti (7998 posts) -
@Xeiphyer said:

These are both on PC, same maxed settings.

Sad.
#78 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

Dont.... import your face??

.... How is that not an option?

#79 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@Xeiphyer said:

These are both on PC, same maxed settings. Sad.

ME2 High Res Textures?

#80 Edited by Tennmuerti (7998 posts) -
@SmasheControllers said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Xeiphyer said:

These are both on PC, same maxed settings. Sad.

ME2 High Res Textures?

Not sure it's an old ME2 install, but don't think textures affect the face anyway.
#81 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: If your using the same textures as me, no. It only changes the clothes and armor.

#82 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@VoleMaulder said:

A change in hairstyle is no big deal, for me at least. I mean, people change their hair sometimes. Especially women. Changes in bone structure can alienate you, though. I can only hope my 2 Shepards look OK enough so that I won't have to spend an entire day tweaking sliders, playing 15' and then restarting again.

One other thing. In ME 2 (I don't remember if this was the case in 1, as well), the face looked a bit different in-game than in the creation screen. So, maybe comparing screenshots from the squad menu with screenshots from the character creation screen on 3 is not the best way to judge if it transferred OK. Just a thought that I'm throwing out there. The first screenshots show a definite change, so maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part.

I had a similar problem between ME1 and ME2 with comparing my ME1 in-game shep to the ME2 character creation screen shep. I thought I had it about right, and then when I loaded up the game I thought, "Oh god, what have I wrought upon this world!?" She was some horrible deformity in-game. It was back to the drawing board until I figured out how to make it work. Kind of a struggle, but worth it once the looks have some continuity. At least I thought so.

#83 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Mikewrestler5 said:

At least for the maleshep, I agree with you. The character model for femshep though did not have nearly the amount of care and detail. If you wanted to make a femshep, it was on you to make her look decent.

#84 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -
@SmasheControllers I think I prefer ME3 face except for her scary dead eyes.
#85 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@SmasheControllers said:

Or at least flatter.

#86 Posted by jjnen (660 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@SmasheControllers said:

Or at least flatter.

To my eye ME3 face looks better.

#87 Posted by Hailinel (23879 posts) -

@Rappelsiini said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@SmasheControllers said:

Or at least flatter.

Mass Effect 3 might have better graphics in general, but the point is that Shepards that are imported aren't necessarily going to match what the player wants when the imported information is processed by the ME3 character creator.

#88 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -
A better comparison.

I'm not saying My Shep is ME3 looks bad, just different.

#89 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Your poor FemShep grew one hell of a fivehead. I am not looking foward to mine getting some facial butchering due to a shitty model importer.

I'd be fine if it was from headbutting too many Krogans, cause that'd at least be in line with my character. She wasn't taking guff from anyone.

#90 Posted by Tennmuerti (7998 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@Rappelsiini said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@SmasheControllers said:

Or at least flatter.

Mass Effect 3 might have better graphics in general, but the point is that Shepards that are imported aren't necessarily going to match what the player wants when the imported information is processed by the ME3 character creator.

So far the graphics seem worse technically.
On PC at least. 

They might be better between the relative console versions, dunno, haven't played those.
#91 Posted by jjnen (660 posts) -

@Hailinel: @SmasheControllers: Gahh, I misunderstood. Anyway most of the faces in ME2 looked kinda weird and awkward so I'd be happy with the change. But each to it's own I guess.

#92 Posted by Tonic7 (238 posts) -

Well, I can't really disagree. I do think they look noticeably different, especially in the female's forehead and the male's cheeks and cheekbones. While I am impressed that you put so much time into crafting the faces to your liking (at least, it seems to me that you have), I don't think the changes would be game-breaking for me personally.

I always kind of embraced the customized ugliness of my own Shepard, though. His eyes are too close together for sure. Maybe I will change him slightly in ME3.

#93 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (999 posts) -

Seems to me all custom Shepards have always looked hideous, now they just look hideous in a slightly different way.

#94 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Seems to me all custom Shepards have always looked hideous, now they just look hideous in a slightly different way.

HERASY. I think my femshep is beautiful. Incidentally, my favorite artist is Picasso.

#95 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

I notice most people appear to have used facial structure 7 for their Femshep, which was by far the most feminine one with the slightest jaw and cheekbones. My Femshep used facial structure 1, so I wonder what'll happen.

#96 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@Kevin_Cogneto: Used to think the same, still do for Male Sheps, but if you take the time you can make a decent looking FemShep.

#97 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

That's unfortunate, I actually got a pretty good looking Shep for ME2, but oh well.

#98 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: Your ME3 Lady Shepard actually reminds me of Thora Birch.

#99 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

That's pretty bad, shan't lie. I guess I'm lucky in that I'm not attached to a certain shephard look other than default male.

#100 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

It was the same for me when I imported from ME1 to ME2. His eyes went all weird.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.