Finally finished Mass Effect 3 (spoilers)

#1 Posted by dr_mantas (2053 posts) -

The ending sure is... something. I got what I gather is supposed to be the best ending, the "synthesis" one... And I really don't know what to make of it.

To put it bluntly all the endings are not bad, they are just depressing as HELL. Seriously.

In most of them Shepard dies... and if he survives, it just means that synthetic life will be created again, and destroy organic life (as far as I understand). Even though my Paragon Shep spent some significant time proving that peace is possible.

For the "best" ending, synthesis is weird - destroying the mass relays, so everyone in the galaxy is cut off from each other, Shepard dying and leaving Liara (in my case), and everyone turning into weird machine hybrids.

Well at least Joker is happy...

I just feel there needed to be more closure, I guess.

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -
@dr_mantas I would suggest posting this on one of the other ending threads. It will probably be blocked because there are so many of them. Just a heads up
#3 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

@dr_mantas: i just completed it and i went with the same option as you though i did want to blow up the reapers any way i think the whole Indoctrination Theory is just sad fans reading way into things but i could be wrong and the bit at the end where the guy is talking to the kis i think is in the future where sheps orideals are recorded to let the galaxy know what he did from them. i think the cannon ending will be the reapers and sheapard are dead.

#4 Posted by Scofthe7seas (45 posts) -

@Z3RO180: I agree about the indoctrination thing. It makes me angry how hard people are trying to fit something into a box that they created. I wanted to destroy the reapers, but it doesn't make sense to me that it will somehow affect the Geth, and EDI. That feels like it's just thrown in there to make the choice seem like a bad one. I think destroying synthetic life doesn't outright mean people will rebuild them and be destroyed by them. Maybe the next time they are rebuilt, things will be different. You can't say one way or the other :/

However, I think the mass relays being destroyed is super stupid. Cutting off all of the galaxy from one another, and oh yeah, stranding the entirety of the galaxy's multiracial military force in a solar system with one inhabitable planet - Dumb.

#5 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

@Scofthe7seas: i agree also after all the trouble i went through to save both the geth and the qurians it didnt seem right and mass relays thing like you said is a bit dumb but i think the whole plan was to ues them to spread the beam to spred the effect of what choise you made and thats why the systeams they were in didnt get destroyed cause the enegy in the relays were used up.

#6 Posted by Mnemoidian (960 posts) -

@dr_mantas said:

The ending sure is... something. I got what I gather is supposed to be the best ending, the "synthesis" one... And I really don't know what to make of it.

Just a minor note, I believe that the "best end" that people are talkinga bout is technically the one where the scene of Shepard surviving is shown. Ie: the destroy end with more than 5000 EMS.

I strongly dislike the end, but I think I've covered my opinion on that in other threads.

#7 Posted by dr_mantas (2053 posts) -

@Mnemoidian said:

@dr_mantas said:

Just a minor note, I believe that the "best end" that people are talkinga bout is technically the one where the scene of Shepard surviving is shown. Ie: the destroy end with more than 5000 EMS.

I strongly dislike the end, but I think I've covered my opinion on that in other threads.

But how can that be the "best" ending, if you basically wipe out ALL synthetic life, even the Geth, who Paragon Shep makes at peace with Quarians, and EDI, who you spent the whole game humanizing.

The destroy ending is decidedly "renegade", but I don't really get the other two...

The decision room kind of looks like a giant half of a dialogue wheel, with the red option at the bottom, blue at the top, and green in the middle. Which would make the control ending paragon? That seems wrong somehow...

The problem I have is that the ending is too short for such an expansive universe, and such a great trilogy. Though I suppose the whole saying goodbye bit during the downtime on Earth could be considered part of the ending.

#8 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Just wait until tomorrow when you've had time to process your disappointment and sadness, and start thinking about how nonsensical, stupid, and full of plotholes the entire ending is, to the point where you are now unable to comprehend what actually happened because it's so broken and terrible.

#9 Posted by altairre (1280 posts) -

@dr_mantas said:

@Mnemoidian said:

@dr_mantas said:

But how can that be the "best" ending, if you basically wipe out ALL synthetic life, even the Geth, who Paragon Shep makes at peace with Quarians, and EDI, who you spent the whole game humanizing.

The destroy ending is decidedly "renegade", but I don't really get the other two...

The decision room kind of looks like a giant half of a dialogue wheel, with the red option at the bottom, blue at the top, and green in the middle. Which would make the control ending paragon? That seems wrong somehow...

The problem I have is that the ending is too short for such an expansive universe, and such a great trilogy. Though I suppose the whole saying goodbye bit during the downtime on Earth could be considered part of the ending.

Apparently you don´t destroy all synthetic life because Shepard is partially synthetic and yet he lives somehow (if you have 4000/5000 EMS which is a really dumb restriction). In addition to that the fleets of all those races who helped you are stranded on earth because the relays are no more. Oh, and let´s not forget that Joker tried to flee with the Normandy while leaving Shepard behind. Then the ship goes to fucking treeplanet and (*inset squadmember that you had with you during the last push*) walks out completely unharmed despite the fact that a giant laser killed everyone except Shepard. There is no paragon or renegade ending, there is just a "man, this is broken and makes no sense at all" ending.

#10 Edited by Mnemoidian (960 posts) -

@dr_mantas: I should clarify - I don't think it's the best ending. I think the crux of the argument why that is the "best ending" (from a straight "game mechanical point of view") is that it's the one that requires the highest EMS - at 5000, and it's one of the things people are being angry about - that it requires(? Someone suggested that optimal choices through ME1->ME2->ME3 could be enough?) you to play Multiplayer to get it.

Personally, I agree with you - how can effectively undoing all the work I've done with the Geth and with EDI be the "best" way to deal with the situation? From a devils advocate Point of View, I could say that maybe that's the "best case scenario" for everyone - that in both Control and Synthesize that the Reapers eventually win, but we just don't know enough of what the other 2 endings actually mean, neither before - NOR AFTER the end to make a qualified statement which is the "best ending".

I'd say neither. In all of them you are making choices that are so much bigger than you based on no information (and what little you have is given by "a creature" who may well be lying to you.)

But yeah, Synthesize is the end where my Shepard - who through 3 games had been preaching compromise, understanding and finding "option C" to every plan (Like uniting Geth and Quarians rather than wiping out either faction). But ultimately, what the hell does the Synthesize ending mean, and why does it mean we don't need to be wiped out by Synthetics (or Biosynthetics) every 50,000 years anymore?

I feel like that was where Bioware wanted us to be stumped.

Yeah, a lot of people have commented on the whole Control -> Blue -> Paragon, Synthesize -> Green -> ???, Destroy -> Red -> Renegade ... largely because TIM (previously strongly represented as someone leaning heavily towards Renegade options) represents Blue, while Anderson (who, while being an opponent to TIM, I wouldn't peg as straight Paragon)... it's not clear-cut. But on the other hand, Maybe it's more interesting if TIM is the one who would pick the Paragon option in the end?

But again... I feel the fallacy in the logic remains that literally everything we have to go on is what can only be presumed to be an AI that choses to show itself to Shepard using a form that Shepard is weak against - while he is also physically weak (injured). This makes me wonder why an AI that is clearly manipulating Shepard (in some manner, indoctrination or just by presenting itself as "weak") would give the full truth.

(Note: I'm not sold on the Indoctrination theory - I'm trying to just lay out the facts, and spinning my thoughts from those. But I may be remembering things incorrectly)

But I don't really have any answers. I'm as confused and frustrated as anyone else. And this post became a lot longer than I had planned it to be >_<.

(Also - anyone who had a love interest who was not a squad-mate in ME3 that they did not break it off with is probably feeling a bit short-changed. I know I am. )

edit: @altairre: Didn't see your post 'till I had posted.

Yeah, I'm with you - the Normandy thing is where it all really breaks down for me. Though for me... it's 2 things: a) Cortez was shot down. How did they get back to Normandy in time? Especially my squadmates. (not insurmountable though - it's theoretically possible that Cortez managed to repair the Kodiak or that they used a different shuttle)... but b) Why would they leave? Even if none of them were my Shepard's love interest, why would they abandon him, after setting up over most of 3 games how extremely dedicated my crew is to one another.

The planet... might as well be earth? Maybe? Or not. Who knows. Lucky how they landed on a planet with an human, turian, prothean breathable atmosphere otherwise. Oh, and temperate. Wonder what the odds on that is. Seems far more likely it's Earth, though... unless it's supposed to be some sort of Epilogue planet. A failsafe for the relays, or something. *Shrug* Doesn't make much sense either way.

I did read in the Codex some things about Faster Than Light travel in the Mass Effect universe that that mentioned that without the Relays travel that was instantaneous could take "years or decades for distant systems" (paraphrasing, not access to codex right now). So, I guess that in theory, THEY COULD get home. In theory. I am a bit curious how well supplied the Turian, Krogan, Salarian, Hanar, Elcor, Volus fleets are though... can they supply themselves with food for that time? Though I guess most of the systems were fairly close (at least Tuchanka, Palaven and Sur'kesh were pretty close? (on the galaxy map))

The Geth and Quarians can probably supply themselves for decades (which if the codex is correct, it'd take to reach Rannoch again) - seeing as both are used to fleet-based existance. But that does kind of nullify the victory on Rannoch. Sigh.

#11 Posted by Vivek (517 posts) -

@dr_mantas: I chose the "destroy" ending, mainly because I did not want the reapers to exist. I agree with your analogy of the end platforms representing a dialogue wheel, though not sure if there is a "good" ending? Losing the Geth was not such a big deal as Legion was already dead, and he was the only one I cared about. It was frustrating to sacrifice EDI though after the destroying the relays and seeing the Normandy crash, Joker does not seem too fazed. I actually think seeing Shepard move at the end is a nice cliffhanger, I just think the end choices are all as terrible as each other with no one getting what they wanted.

The thing which really gets to me is that surely they can rebuild the space crafts and technology again... The Buzz Aldrin "Star Gazer" part had me a little annoyed as I didn't see the point in it existing.

#12 Edited by Jaytow (705 posts) -

Yeah, there's way too many "So I finished mass effect" threads. The ending has really turned the idustry around though.

#13 Posted by Scofthe7seas (45 posts) -

@Z3RO180: You know, I never really though much about using the mass relays to propagate the energy. That makes some sense, but surly there must be some reapers not near a mass relay? I had just assumed it was some kind of thing that just destroyed the relays. guess I was distracted with my thoughts just focusing on the relays being destroyed. The only problem though is that the same results happen no matter which ending you pick, so the energy going out to control the reapers, or bond with them shouldn't destroy the relays. :/ I'm fine with Shepard dying, but the game basically also kills space itself. Plus the whole remaining military force in our solar system thing I mentioned.

" But ultimately, what the hell does the Synthesize ending mean, and why does it mean we don't need to be wiped out by Synthetics (or Biosynthetics) every 50,000 years anymore?"

The question about this, to me, is why is Joker all green glowy at this ending? Is he a robit?

Honestly, I wasn't mad when it ended, but like some kind of old person I had made the wrong choice without knowing it. I thought I'd be given an option when going to the light, because the other two platforms looked like backdrop to me, but instead I just fell in. I wanted to choose to destroy the reapers. So I was willing to go through it again, but it was long, so I thought, first I'll check Youtube to see if it was worth doing again... only to discover all the endings being nearly identical. Then I became angry. Furious! I was angry for a while. Then, a friend of mine who hadn't played the series and was wanting to told me he wasn't going to anymore because he heard about the ending. That got me thinking about how much of a great game it WAS and being so angry was kind of a knee-jerk reaction, and how much of it would be a shame for my friend to not play. I'm not mad anymore because I DO think it's worth playing through, despite the bad ending, as long as you're expecting it.

#14 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

@Scofthe7seas: for the synthesize ending i think the reapers dount kill every thing in the galaxy is because they arnt ''Fully'' organic. This is how i see it the green beem dosent change all races in to the same race i.e. an all cyborg race but in steads alters the genetic codes of organics to interface easiers with technology . For example when you helping legion get rid of the reaper virus in geth mind sheapard needs to go in to a pod inorder to do it. But if that happend after the green beam in stead of going into the pod shepard would simply have to touch legion in order to go into the geth mind. I hope that helps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.