First Review out, gives good information.

• 129 results
#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

From gamestar magazine. They reviewed the PS3 version.

-15-20 hour-long main quest

-Around 40 hours playtime in total- side missions are vital to amass enough opposition to the Reaper threat

-90 minutes of cutscenes

-No loose ends or cliffhangers, the game is truly an appropriate end to the trilogy with a very intense and touching finale

-More than 100 scenes, conversations and/or events change depending on our choices- from something small like someone thanking us for completing a mission to bigger repercussions which would be to spoilerous to write down- you are definitely going to feel the consequences, and not always like them

-If and how many of these quests we complete influences how the game ends, and who- individually and globally- survives

-While the game can be enjoyable for newcomers as well, because the game is strong on its own mechanically and story-wise, it is recommended to play the first two entries to make more sense out of the wealth of information that the game builds on

-There's an interesting sequence after the end credits

-The „Role-Play“ mode of the game (In contrast to „Action“ and „Story“) feels very much like ME1

-The game gives you more opportunity to customize your Shepard. Each class has 8 talents with 6 levels each, and up from Level 4 there are two branches to choose from to level up each individual talent differently. Weapon customization is also a factor and noticeable, but the effects (which have both pros and cons) are only marginal

-Balancing isn't optimal

-The game is noticeably more difficult up from „Medium“, which makes using the correct weapon mods and talents integral to survive. Shepard also shoots more accurately in cover.

-The AI, on the other hand, is still not very advanced

-There are multiple turret sections which aren't very well directed

-Despite the shortcomings in level design, which are similar to ME2, the game is constantly thrilling, spectacular and dramatic- largely thanks to the well-presented story and dialogue- and there are lot of small and large choices again to ponder on

-Scanning isn't nearly as repetitive as before, because it works a lot quicker now and incorporates a new mini-game where you have to navigate your ship away from Reaper threat

-The new melee option is fun, but a little overpowered

-Graphically, the low polycount, lack of detail and low texture resolution disappoints- the characters are well animated and modeled however, and the overall look, despite its age, is quite moody

-Great dynamic soundtrack and sound-effects

-Our progress in the war effort is constantly trackable on a terminal on the Normandy

In summary, the game builds on the strengths of ME2 and takes some notes from ME1 to create the most compelling experience in the franchise yet.

Graphics -/10 (waiting to try PC)

Sound 10/10

Balance 9/10

Atmosphere 9/10

Controls -/10 (waiting to try PC)

Complexity 9/10

Quests/Story 10/10

Character system 10/10

Battle system 8/10

Items 9/10

#2 Posted by Willin (1280 posts) -

Really good to hear. Hopefully it lives up to the high expectations.

#3 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

They have an items category? Is it strictly an RPG site?

#4 Posted by VierasTalo (726 posts) -

@CL60 said:

-No loose ends or cliffhangers, the game is truly an appropriate end to the trilogy with a very intense and touching finale

-There's an interesting sequence after the end credits

That kind of makes me want to see what that after the credits-sequence is, since this implies it's not setting up a sequel at all.

#5 Posted by Village_Guy (2534 posts) -

Isn't this pretty early?

Also why the hell can't they give scores for controls and graphics for consoles and then later for the PC version?

#6 Posted by Floope (190 posts) -

That's a pretty stupid rating system.

#7 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@CL60: Thank you for this. I need all I can get to feed my Mass Effect lust.
#8 Posted by jerseyscum (869 posts) -

Early reviews are a little suspect, but otherwise I like what I hear. Can't wait duders!

#9 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4664 posts) -

YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT IT'S AMAZING.

#10 Posted by The_Nubster (2089 posts) -

@RobbleWobble said:

That's a pretty stupid rating system.

Yeah. Any rating system that divvies its ratings across categories is fucking dumb. Games have become more than the sum of their parts, no matter how many parts you tack on to the end.

#11 Posted by MrWythers (11 posts) -

Odd rating system. Anyways good to hear, can not wait to get my hands on it.

#12 Posted by MEATBALL (3156 posts) -

@Barrock said:

Don't be silly, why would an RPG site review Mass Effect?

(I'm just joking, I actually absolutely consider Mass Effect an RPG)

#13 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -
@Barrock

Can't tell whether the fact you thought this was a website is telling of the public consensus on print journalism or your own poor reading skills.

Either way, GG.
#14 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

I've never heard of Gamestar magazine.

#15 Posted by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -

Great. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Day one.

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3542 posts) -

Sweet , I had no doubt about it , but yes a tad too early review , but heck im getting this regardless , just hope this mitigates the worries of some folks

#17 Posted by JasonR86 (9650 posts) -

This is what I was hoping to hear. Frankly, it's what I expected to hear too. But...you know, it's always nice to be validated in your assumptions.

#18 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Cool. Looking forward to it.

#19 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

I wanna know if I can change shepard's face because mine has weird cheekbones that stick out like triangles...

#20 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

Apparently they're German. That's probably why.
#21 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

Er, not to sound like a skeptical asshole or anything, but how credible is Gamestar magazine? Seems really weird is all.

#22 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

@Barrock

Can't tell whether the fact you thought this was a website is telling of the public consensus on print journalism or your own poor reading skills. Either way, GG.

Combination of the two. I just assumed that a magazine would have a website.

#23 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Phew.

#24 Edited by Animasta (14667 posts) -

YES AN EARLY REVIEW FROM A NO NAME SITE FOR A COMPANY OWNED BY EA THAT IS POSITIVE THAT OBVIOUSLY MEANS IT'S A FANTASTIC GAME.

#25 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Good info but I'm still skeptical about this game. As someone who loved the first and was slightly disappointed by 2, I'm hoping the main story is better.

#26 Posted by Landon (4132 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

Er, not to sound like a skeptical asshole or anything, but how credible is Gamestar magazine? Seems really weird is all.

They are just as credible as gamebomb.ru

#27 Posted by ajamafalous (11938 posts) -
@MEATBALL said:

@Barrock said:

Don't be silly, why would an RPG site review Mass Effect?

ZING POW
#28 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

He gives good mass.

Five points for THAT reference.

#29 Posted by august (3833 posts) -

I only play games that have 10/10 items.

#30 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -

Gamestar is a reliable source. The website is gamestar.de but it doesn't look like the review is up yet.

#31 Posted by MB (12199 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

I've heard of it once or twice over the years, that's about it.

I'm not surprised the first "leaked" review is coming out of an obscure European gaming magazine or website. This always happens, it's good press for them.

#32 Posted by tourgen (4459 posts) -

planet scanning is back. great

#33 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Seems pretty shitty to me.

#34 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -

@MB: Gamestar isn't really obscure

#35 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

Wait any longer, I cannot!

#36 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

@MB said:

@UnrealDP said:

I've heard of it once or twice over the years, that's about it.

I'm not surprised the first "leaked" review is coming out of an obscure European gaming magazine or website. This always happens, it's good press for them.

Oi, I guess it is good press, eh? Oh well. At least the review is glowing and that's definitively not bad news.

#37 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

9/10 items fuck that noise

ill wait for some american reviews to start hitting

#38 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -
#39 Posted by HatKing (5875 posts) -

Pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm pretty damn excited. Somehow even more so.

#40 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

German PC game magazine reviews ME3 PS3.  Fanboy creams.  Everyone else rolls eyes.

#41 Posted by Gooddoggy (409 posts) -

@Landon said:

@UnrealDP said:

They are just as credible as gamebomb.ru

Well that gamebomb.ru several-months-early review of Brink was pretty accurate, so there you go.

#42 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@tourgen said:

planet scanning is back. great

No it's not. You scan planets but it doesn't resemble anything that the scanning in ME2 was. You go to a system, start scanning and when you scan near something on the galaxy map it'll tell you something is there, you go to the planet. And scan for 1 thing.

Here it is.

#43 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Ugh. Any act of scanning a planet with a curser and firing probes brings back memories of how shitty/boring it was in 2.

#44 Posted by tourgen (4459 posts) -

@CL60: Well, thank you for the video post.

I watched it and yes indeed, planet scanning is right in there. So I'm not sure if you watched the video or not?

BUT WAIT. It's even worse now. Now scanning has been added to the solar system too.

None of the fun of actual exploration, all the tedium of moving a cursor around an object and mashing a button.

#45 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@tourgen said:

I watched it and yes indeed, planet scanning is right in there. So I'm not sure if you watched the video or not?

BUT WAIT. It's even worse now. Now scanning has been added to the solar system too.

None of the fun of actual exploration, all the tedium of moving a cursor around an object and mashing a button.

I think you need to go back to the ME2 scanning for a refreshing if you think that is in any possible way as tedious. There's not even nearly as many places to scan this time.

ME2 scanning - Go to every planet, and move slowly around it with the scanner, sending in a limited amount of probes that you had to go buy more of when they ran out until it's minerals are depleted

ME3 scanning - Go to the system, press the scan button, if an anomaly pops up, go to the planet, go to the anomaly marked on the planet and send in a probe(Which you have unlimited of.)

But of course. The one where you have to slowly move around planets with a scanner sending in multiple probes is the one that is less tedious than the one where you press scan a couple times in a system, then send a probe into a marker.

#46 Posted by Chango (506 posts) -

Very nice.

#47 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

If it plays anything like the demo, then I'm once again going to have to say that gamers are too easy to please with nerdy sci-fi tropes. Game plays like shit so it's crap (just like the first two).

#48 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1589 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Gamestar is a german PC focused magazine, they sometimes test bigger games on consoles if the PC version is not out. For what it's worth: You can debate the rating system and the value of 100% score systems but they usually are pretty spot on with reviews. They use the rating scale between 70 and 100 a lot more then lets say ... Gametrailers. The reviewers are pretty cool too, not quite the level of the GB crew but they are getting close.

#49 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1589 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

See my post above ... they are german thats why you dont know them, but they are credible.

#50 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@tourgen said:

How in God's name is it worse than Mass Effect 2? That's just not true. You're not collecting minerals anymore. That's all this game had to do to ensure it wouldn't be as tedious as the last game. And that's what it did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.