Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

First Review out, gives good information.

• 129 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By mordukai

Thanks. Kinda takes some load off my mind.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By selbie

I'm super excited to finish the story, but that video of the scanning minigame is a bit of a let down.

I know I'm probably part of a small minority here, but I really loved landing on an alien planet with just your vehicle and a map and nothing else. The fun for me was exploring a wild, unknown environment.

That current system for ME3 would be great if they just added the ability to land on the scanned planet and physically search for the item either in a vehicle or aircraft (eg. something like the VTOL jet from Saints Row). I know it might detract from the overall quick, action-oriented context of the game, but I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to click a button on the Magic Spaceship Normandy and then invisible space fairies grant you access to a new item.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Tomkang

@CL60 said:

-More than 100 scenes, conversations and/or events change depending on our choices- from something small like someone thanking us for completing a mission to bigger repercussions which would be to spoilerous to write down- you are definitely going to feel the consequences, and not always like them

Half way through the game something bad will happen on my paragon femshep because I didn't pick a minor paragon choice in ME1 or didn't do all the side quests, and I'll be like fuuuuu... making me want to play the whole series again.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By JasonR86

@RsistncE said:

plays like shit so it's crap

Eloquent.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By lclay

I'm always a little suspicious of early reviews but this is super promising.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By penguindust

I don't give a flying fig about the review scores, but I enjoyed reading the wealth of information about the game's mechanics. That's the news that is important to me right now, not whether it's good or not. I'll be the judge of that when I play it eventually. I am pleased to hear it runs around 40 hours. For me, that means closer to 50 since I tend to dilly-dally in all RPGs. That's long enough for an RPG for me now. I racked up a lot of hours in Skyrim and I'm still not done. Right at this point in my gaming life, I don't need another RPG that long. Ha, I want to finish this one.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Im kinda pissed off with the whole RPG, Story and Action options you can pick at the start. Id say most COD players would just pick shooter and would miss the things that make it a amazing game instead of a GOW clone.

Also what a terrible review.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59  Edited By Seppli

Gamestar is the biggest German PC-gaming magazine. Germany is one of the biggest markets for PC games and likely has the highest quota of PC gamers versus console gamers. They got a huge editorial staff. It's as legit as a gaming publication gets.

As for their review methods. They're very analytical. They adapt their review scales to take into account genre specific criteria - like scoring itemization for RPGs. I'm quite often ticked off by how 'emotionally detached' their scoring is, but they always let their editorial have their say too - a gut-check if you will - and overall their reviews are usually spot-on. Only be weary of games produces by Germans for Germans. They tend to be a bit too positive on them. Be advised - they love nothing more than spoiling the shit out of the first couple of hours of any given game.

If they say Mass Effect 3 is good, it's going to be good. Oh - they gave Dragon Age 2 87% back in the day. I borderline loved that game, despite its many flaws, so I'm cool with that. If you aren't, maybe you should hold off being too enthusiastic just yet.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#60  Edited By AndrewB
    -The new melee option is fun, but a little overpowered

I noticed that in the demo. Even on insanity, I found that my best option was to stun a guy, run up on him, and gut him. Not too concerned about that because it's fun. It's also what I did in Mass Effect 1 and 2 a great deal of the time, just less elegantly.

@Seppli said:

If they say Mass Effect 3 is good, it's going to be good. Oh - they gave Dragon Age 2 87% back in the day. I borderline loved that game, despite its many flaws, so I'm cool with that. If you aren't, maybe you should hold off being too enthusiastic just yet.

Looking back at it after giving it a shot, I'd say there was something about Dragon Age 2 that made me like it a whole lot in spite of its flaws. Probably the characters. But to give it an 87 is to ignore glaring issues, at least when compared to every other 100 percent rating system I've seen (would have to see their rubric). I'd personally give it a Giant Bomb 3 out of 5.

But hey, the points from this review are mostly exactly what I needed to hear. I need a little more optimism for Mass Effect 3, even if I'm already super psyched to play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@AndrewB: The heavy melee option becomes a lot less overpowered when you're dealing with crowds.  They don't stop shooting you in the back for you to complete your heavy attack animation.  Also, a lot of the time if that enemy isn't stunned first he'll get you with his knife first, which is usually half your shields at least.

I also liked Dragon Age 2 more than it deserves, I was thinking on this yesterday... I think it's because it's much more urbane than Origins.  It's about issues that come with living in a city, not about wandering the countryside.  I hate the countryside, I love cities.  I'd rather have back alleys and political intrigue over discovering ancient ruins and climbing scary mountains.
    altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By altairre

I´m only really interested in the length of the game at this point and since I´m going to do every sidequest 40 hours sound really good. But guess what: turrent sequences suck. Surprise, surprise. I don´t understand why they felt the need to include those into ME3.

To gamestar: I agree with Seppli that they tend to score a tad too high but content wise their reviews are indeed usually spot-on. Anyway, let´s shit all over a review we didn´t even read.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By Buscemi

@Brodehouse: You're fucking crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Buscemi: About the heavy melee or preferring stories in cities to stories in countryside?
    Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Buscemi

@Brodehouse: The stories in the countryside! Don't get me wrong, I love cities, but man, if I don't get to walk on the corn fields something breaks inside of me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Jimbo
    @EuanDewar said:
    He gives good mass. Five points for THAT reference.
    Father Ted. Points plz.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@altairre said:

To gamestar: I agree with Seppli that they tend to score a tad too high but content wise their reviews are indeed usually spot-on. Anyway, let´s shit all over a review we didn´t even read.

Compared to some US sites they are pretty decent with scoring imho. And yes ... its not a US magazine, how can they be right or ... gasp ... write a good review? ;)

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

that's great news but I don't have any money (weeps into pillow)

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Dylabaloo

Can't wait to bring the fight to the "Reapers", if they do really exist.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ShaggE

I feel bad for those who are reviewing this game. It seems that everybody's already decided whether it's good or not, so no matter how the reviews turn out, there's going to be a whole lot of people seething with impotent rage. Between the fanboys and the more-vocal-than-ever BioWare haters, it's going to be "The Gerstmann 8.8" all over again.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Sackmanjones

Man even with proof, people still love to hate Mass Effect 3. What the fuck is going on? Are you really letting a game that was disappointing but not even BAD decide what is gonna happen with Mass Effect. You act as if they are reskinning Dragon Age 2 with Mass Effect stuff. God damn people are idiots. 
    @Seppli said:

Gamestar is the biggest German PC-gaming magazine. Germany is one of the biggest markets for PC games and likely has the highest quota of PC gamers versus console gamers. They got a huge editorial staff. It's as legit as a gaming publication gets.

This should also prove enough here.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72  Edited By Animasta

@Sackmanjones: lol you think the 'hatred' for ME3 is about DA2, how cute

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Animasta: If you notice the latter half of this thread mentions DA2, sooo yeah a lot of people are concerned because of it. Didn't say everyone, but a good portion.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Animasta

@Sackmanjones said:

@Animasta: If you notice the latter half of this thread mentions DA2, sooo yeah a lot of people are concerned because of it. Didn't say everyone, but a good portion.

and the context of them mentioning it was that gamestar scored DA2, which was a game many people did not like, scored an 87%, so if they score a game so highly that they hate why would they listen to them in the context of a ME3 review?

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

Gamestar is shit and loves exclusive review deals etc.

Don't take anything away from this.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@SeriouslyNow: im sorry you dont like good games

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#77  Edited By Phatmac

Can't really trust this review, but thanks.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @connerthekewlkid said:

@SeriouslyNow: im sorry you dont like good games

I love good games.  I own almost all of the Bioware catalogue, but DA2 was not a good game and ME3, while certainly being good in terms of gameplay (I really enjoyed the beta), is really not high on my list of games to get due to this.  I fail to see what I've said as defining that I don't like good games.  I'm sorry you don't like to use punctuation or capital letters.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#79  Edited By Hailinel

I like how people are becoming giddy with a sense of vindication just because of one review from a German magazine that a lot of people here probably hadn't heard of before yesterday.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Seppli

@MB said:

@UnrealDP said:

Er, not to sound like a skeptical asshole or anything, but how credible is Gamestar magazine? Seems really weird is all.

I've heard of it once or twice over the years, that's about it.

I'm not surprised the first "leaked" review is coming out of an obscure European gaming magazine or website. This always happens, it's good press for them.

It's not so much leaked, as it is a story in their magazine, which officially comes out on the 29th. Subscribers do get their copy a couple of days before its available on news stands. It's not uncommon for magazines to have the earliest reviews. EA had to be okay with the article being printed in the magazine.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@SeriouslyNow: oh i see your one of the DA2 whiners this explains everything.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Animasta said:

@Sackmanjones said:

and the context of them mentioning it was that gamestar scored DA2, which was a game many people did not like, scored an 87%, so if they score a game so highly that they hate why would they listen to them in the context of a ME3 review?

This is like saying because Modern Warfare 3 got 4 stars I will never listen to Giant Bomb reviews about first person shooters anymore. It's silly to judge games off of different titles. Also there were a lot of reviews in the high 80's on Dragon Age 2. It was well received by critics for the most part so an 87 isn't too outlandish.
    Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Quarters

Still can't wait for the game. And as for the public's perception of the game, I think the simple fact of the matter is that as long as EA is attached to Bioware, it will always be popular to hate on Bioware, whether they deserve it or not. Such is the nature of entitled and opinionated gamers.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#84  Edited By tourgen

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@tourgen said:

@CL60: Well, thank you for the video post.

I watched it and yes indeed, planet scanning is right in there. So I'm not sure if you watched the video or not?

BUT WAIT. It's even worse now. Now scanning has been added to the solar system too.

None of the fun of actual exploration, all the tedium of moving a cursor around an object and mashing a button.

How in God's name is it worse than Mass Effect 2? That's just not true. You're not collecting minerals anymore. That's all this game had to do to ensure it wouldn't be as tedious as the last game. And that's what it did.

The scanning is still there, and now it's expanded to the solar system screen. but now with sprites that chase around my controller cursor. But whatever, the stupid pointless interface/activity is still there. There is no way to fail, there is no skill involved, it is simply there to waste time. It's an activity that doesn't add anything to the game. It's there to punish you for playing the game. If there isn't going to be any gameplay involved, it doesn't add to atmosphere or story development, why the hell is it there? Press A to land on planet.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Animasta

@Sackmanjones said:

@Animasta said:

@Sackmanjones said:

This is like saying because Modern Warfare 3 got 4 stars I will never listen to Giant Bomb reviews about first person shooters anymore. It's silly to judge games off of different titles. Also there were a lot of reviews in the high 80's on Dragon Age 2. It was well received by critics for the most part so an 87 isn't too outlandish.

it's more like you shouldn't listen to GB about call of duty games, and we aren't judging the game based on DA2 (no one was doing this) we are judging the review based on the response DA2 got, which is a significant difference

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Hailinel

@Quarters said:

Still can't wait for the game. And as for the public's perception of the game, I think the simple fact of the matter is that as long as EA is attached to Bioware, it will always be popular to hate on Bioware, whether they deserve it or not. Such is the nature of entitled and opinionated gamers.

Or, you know, people might actually be finding fault with Bioware's games.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel said:

@Quarters said:

Or, you know, people might actually be finding fault with Bioware's games.

NOPE THEY ARE PERFECT FUCK YOU FOR HAVING A DISSENTING OPINION

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Animasta: Ok your right about that. But it still doesn't change the fact that many reviewers from large sites or magazines gave Dragon Age 2 very good scores.  Like a said, there are many between 80 to 89. So, while people may have been disappointed, critics mostly agreed that it was pretty good. Which means, by your logic, people should ignore half of the reviews that come out for Mass Effect 3.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By phrosnite

Awesome game is awesome. Insanity runs here I come.

Edit: Nowadays Normal difficulty is for people who just want to see the story and shit in a game. True gamers should start on hardcore!

And ofc the game will play best on PC. I dare you to do 6 headshots in a row in 10 sec with a controler(without stupid assists).

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @connerthekewlkid said:

@SeriouslyNow: oh i see your one of the DA2 whiners this explains everything.

... You're not even worth the effort. 
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Dylabaloo

@tourgen said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@tourgen said:

@CL60: Well, thank you for the video post.

I watched it and yes indeed, planet scanning is right in there. So I'm not sure if you watched the video or not?

BUT WAIT. It's even worse now. Now scanning has been added to the solar system too.

None of the fun of actual exploration, all the tedium of moving a cursor around an object and mashing a button.

How in God's name is it worse than Mass Effect 2? That's just not true. You're not collecting minerals anymore. That's all this game had to do to ensure it wouldn't be as tedious as the last game. And that's what it did.

The scanning is still there, and now it's expanded to the solar system screen. but now with sprites that chase around my controller cursor. But whatever, the stupid pointless interface/activity is still there. There is no way to fail, there is no skill involved, it is simply there to waste time. It's an activity that doesn't add anything to the game. It's there to punish you for playing the game. If there isn't going to be any gameplay involved, it doesn't add to atmosphere or story development, why the hell is it there? Press A to land on planet.

Yeah! Why the fuck are there Lockpicking minigames in Skyrim, they are just an arbitrary barrier put in the way to waste time/skill points and aren't fun to play. Why can't we just press A to get what we deserve. The Scanning is not necessary but if don't do it I guarantee your ending will be affected, by scanning you find resources, such as weapons, which go to the war effort and help your Galatic Readiness and as stated in the video effect the games ending cinematic (Probably similar to the suicide mission in 2) I think it's cool that the Reapers could come and intervene while scanning, it gives a sense of urgency and actual dread that you are not safe and the Reapers will fuck you up, which in my opinion will add to the atmosphere/story.

DaBuddaDa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By DaBuddaDa
    @CL60 said:
    -Balancing isn't optimal

Balance 9/10

Great, another review to completely ignore. Anxiously awaiting GB's take.
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@SeriouslyNow: BWAHAHAHAHAH

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By phrosnite

@DaBuddaDa said:

@CL60 said:
    -Balancing isn't optimal

Balance 9/10

That's probably due to Stasis. Dat shit overpowered as shit. Also I don't expect normal difficulty to be anything but a cake walk in new games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Hailinel

@DaBuddaDa said:

@CL60 said:
    -Balancing isn't optimal

Balance 9/10

What the hell does balance even mean in this context?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By CL60

@Hailinel said:

@DaBuddaDa said:

@CL60 said:
    -Balancing isn't optimal

Balance 9/10

What the hell does balance even mean in this context?

It's translated from German by some random person. It might not even be the correct wording.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

One more week! Can't wait to pick up my CE edition!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By napalm

I'm saving my first time experience for when the game actually hits. However, I hope they increased the snappiness of the combat. That was my main concern with Mass Effect 2. You could hold up in the directional pad, and it would take Shepard a second to get moving. You had to get right up to an object to hide behind it, and the running to and from points were goofy and stiff. Basically, the whole combat/cover system was stiff. I hope they changed this.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Dallas_Raines

European Game Journalism/10

I'm hopeful for ME3, but I wouldn't put any stock into this review.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By withateethuh

@Napalm said:

I'm saving my first time experience for when the game actually hits. However, I hope they increased the snappiness of the combat. That was my main concern with Mass Effect 2. You could hold up in the directional pad, and it would take Shepard a second to get moving. You had to get right up to an object to hide behind it, and the running to and from points were goofy and stiff. Basically, the whole combat/cover system was stiff. I hope they changed this.

From playing the demo, I can safely say your ability to move around is much more intuitive and responsive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.