Grissom Academy mission (so spoilers)

#1 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1806 posts) -

Am I missing something, or is this particular mission just really fucking awful? I've been stuck at the part where you have to get to the Cerberus Shuttles for a good while now. I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to do. For one, there are FAR too many enemies, especially since they keep spawning in new ones every minute or so, and the way this section of the level is designed makes it so they can surround you within seconds. You're already pretty fragile as it is; dudes shooting you while you're behind cover doesn't help. This section also reveals how finicky and busted the cover system still is in this game. I had really hoped that shit like that would've been fixed from ME2, but I still find myself constantly popping in and out of cover when I'm not trying to.

I find it impossible to make any sort of forward progress in this level. I'd rather not lower the difficulty (I'm on hardcore) or load to my save right before starting this mission, so is there anyone who has done this that can help me out here?

#2 Posted by Waffles13 (611 posts) -

I had little trouble on that mission, although I was on normal. At that point I had already dropped all weapons but assault rifles (soldier class) and just used incendiary ammo on the guys and disruptor/armor piercing on the Atlases. Also, I discovered late in the game how goddamn incredible cryo ammo is on Cerberus troops, so if that's a possibility I highly recommend it

Again, I was on normal and have no idea how the difficulty ramps up, but rifles+incendiary+the occasional singularity from Liara was more than enough to get me through.
#3 Posted by believer258 (12103 posts) -

Cryo ammo! (or do classes other than soldier not have that?)

Anyway, it wasn't *that* bad for me. I agree that it's not as well designed as it could have been, but I didn't find it incredibly difficult. But then, I was on Normal.

#4 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I dropped my difficult to normal with my soldier here. It's just a long slog. If you play carefully, you'll make it eventually, but more than a few levels will drag out due to these protracted battles. If you have other options like biotics, then you'll have a much easier time.

#5 Posted by DonChipotle (2810 posts) -

That part of the mission was the worst part of the game so far. I played it on Hardcore since I didn't want to ramp right up to Insanity and it took me a good hour and fifteen minutes to get through it. It was pretty poor largely because the grenades are annoying and instantly take down shields and when you roll away from them it is often towards enemies that flanked you and then just shoot you.

But I learned that you always want to take out the engineers first. Those guys are dicks.

#6 Edited by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

I honestly don;t remember this part people are talking about in the academy.
The only time I remember there were a huge amount of enemies coming in in the G.Academy you could steal and pilot an Atlas mech yourself, hense making it super easy.

#7 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I do not remember that level being to hard or really annoying. I was playing on hardcore as well and I kinda blew through the entire game.

#8 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

I don't understand the hate for this mission... I thought it was pretty fun.

#9 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1806 posts) -

I've tried going at it slow, and have approached it from every available direction, but there is always one hiccup that gets me in the end. The fact that enemies just keep pouring into this same area makes it infuriating. I'll clear a path ahead, move up and start working on the next group of dudes, only to have more just spawn behind me, resulting in me being attack from at least two directions. It also doesn't help that I'm going into this part with only one health kit, and a relatively weak squad mate in EDI. James can hold his own pretty well, however. I'm playing as a Vanguard with an assault rifle, shotgun, and sub-machine gun. I use the incendiary and cryo ammo types constantly, and they just don't seem to be helping a ton here.

In any case, thanks for the help so far. I'll keep at it and hopefully find a strategy that works.

#10 Posted by Irvandus (2886 posts) -

@BoG said:

Also has some really awesome dialogue from Jack, if she's alive.

#11 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

@BoG said:

I thought Jack's new look was great, too. She's still the same Jack, but she actually looks like a female.

#12 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@BoG said:

Yeah, I too enjoy it.

#13 Posted by Turambar (6849 posts) -

Went through it on normal as an infiltrator.  It was rather easy, so I don't know what people are having problems with. 

#14 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3113 posts) -

@BoG said:

@Irvandus said:

@BoG said:

I thought Jack's new look was great, too. She's still the same Jack, but she actually looks like a female.

I have to say, I preferred her bald look. Outfit was fine though, and better than what she went with last time.

#15 Posted by mpgeist (642 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad said:

@BoG said:

@Irvandus said:

@BoG said:

I have to say, I preferred her bald look. Outfit was fine though, and better than what she went with last time.

Agree with this. Her hair looks terrible in ME3.

#16 Posted by Sackmanjones (4784 posts) -
@BoG

I'd have to agree. I liked this whole mission especially how it tied to overlord. But hey it seems like I'm enjoying this game a hellof a lot more than most people so maybe it's just me.
#17 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Went through it on normal as an infiltrator. It was rather easy, so I don't know what people are having problems with.

I'm playing through it on insanity, and I can't move without getting blown up with a grenade or shot in the face with an atlas rocket. If I dodge one of the massive amounts of grenades being thrown at me, I usually roll right into one of the guys with the shield, which spawn in great numbers and just walk towards me, and I can't kill them all before I'm fucked.

#18 Posted by VierasTalo (912 posts) -

Is this the part with the large arena-like area? I had the mech in use at that point and it was very, very easy. If this is the part prior to getting the mech, just pick a spot, take cover, and stay there shooting at people. They'll drown out eventually. Takes a long while though, but I don't think I died more than once.

#19 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

This section is great, especially if you had Jack as a romance option.

#20 Posted by CornBREDX (5838 posts) -

I didn't have a problem on this mission. I play on Normal and remember it being just like any other mission combat wise. Take out the engineers when you see them so they don't deploy the turrets (those things eat you alive) and don't rush it. I think the hardest part of the whole thing was the atrium area. I died on that part several times. One reason being I didn't realize there were snipers all the way up on the roof, second reason was because I would rush it. Since there is so many dudes in that area you gotta take it slow and take out the snipers ASAP (and also don't forget the engineers). That was the only part I found particularly hard though.

#21 Posted by Dezztroy (853 posts) -

If this is that Atrium, it was cake as an Adept. Then again, pretty much everything in the game is very easy playing as an Adept with Javik in your party.

#22 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1806 posts) -

Managed to get through it. The fighting in the atrium was what I was stuck on, not the part with the Atlas after that, which was admittedly pretty cool and satisfying after the total bullshit that preceded it. One thing I though was strange was that every time I died and reloaded to the checkpoint, the Atlas in the back that's shooting at you would have a random amount of shield/armor. I lucked out on my final try when it happened to have no shield and only half armor. It made things a hell of a lot easier from the get go.

#23 Edited by aceofspudz (938 posts) -

A friend of mine got stuck on the Atrium for an entire day. He was playing vanguard on hc. He had nothing nice to say about facing Cerberus troops as a vanguard.

It took me 3-4 tries as an infil on hc, 5-6 if you count the bits where I ate a grenade within 2 minutes.

Granted, both of us took EDI along. Not...a great character, if you ask me.

#24 Posted by TrashMustache (452 posts) -

urgh...how about not starting the game on hardcore? you're just trolling

#25 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

You guys did hijack the mech right?
I blasted through the shuttle part with ease.

And I just loved seeing Jack again, but seeing Kahlee Sanders was the geekiest moment so far!
I love the book tie in! I loved seeing the place in person finally!

#26 Edited by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

On insanity.

When you get into the big open atrium area, what I did was bee-line it for the top of the stairs. That messes with the AI a little, which means they'll basically only attack from the one staircase coming straight at you (apparently they don't want you doing this, either, because you can glitch through the door that Cerberus troops would have otherwise spawned out of). Lower the odds of being flanked from the side, having the advantage of height, and being able to take on the Atlas at you own discretion when you've thinned out the troops enough, makes the fight a little easier.

Next time you enter the atrium on the other side, I again made a bee-line for the stairs behind you. Again, this is where you'd otherwise be flanked. The staircase itself is much more defensible, except you're going to be fighting madly to take out some shield-carrying troops and you still have to be wary of turrets wherever those engineers decide to place them. The long railway at least gives you space to move without needing to seek a new cover point when they start nade spamming (they *always* fucking nade spam...).

I didn't have any problems with the rest of it, but if anyone wanted any more tips, I'd be happy to give them.

And I agree, this and the rest of the Cerberus side missions all demonstrate why their level design and AI combined just don't work right on maps with odd angles. These maps were made to be played multiplayer.

#27 Posted by neilmoinihan (1 posts) -

Playing on insanity is brutal. However, overload the the turrets and they'll do work and use liara to hover the dudes with shields. those are your hardest opponents. Still tough tho. By the way, no one care "how easy it was" for all the "AWESOME" players that posted to measure their dicks. If your not contributing tips, don't bother and continue flexing and high-fiving your self in a mirror at home.

Great game!

#28 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -

SOOOOOO spoilers!

#29 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

Just did this right now! Hey man, just get on the mech before entering that area. No problem whatsoever. Great mission by the way. Only gripes are that those are supposed to look like teenagers?? Damn, they are so old looking and pruny faced. Jajajaj.

#30 Posted by feliciano182 (100 posts) -

@procrasturbate: They do look pretty grown-up.

The atrium is indeed a pain in the ass, though mostly just staying in cover and making sure Cerberus doesn't gang up on you tends to do the trick for me. Also, getting completely out of the line of sight of the Atlas helps a lot, just go all the way up the ramp to your right as soon as you enter, deal with the turret and the engineer, and you have a safe spot to take everyone out.

#31 Posted by csl316 (9262 posts) -

Sure, it was tough. But I thought it was pretty awesome and intense. But there's just no defending ME3 on this site.

Using my squadmates here was essential. And if you're getting surrounded, keep moving.

#32 Posted by Darkstorn (469 posts) -

Yeah, use cryo ammo on the engineers (I played Vanguard in all 3 games) an hijack one of the Atlases. Dropping the difficulty is also an option but I only remember having to do it when dealing with those reaper Asari things

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.