Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Has this ending worked in any form of media?

• 66 results
    ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By ProfessorK

@N7: I was thinking the exact same thing!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @MooseyMcMan said:

@isomeri: No, I mainly didn't like it because the last "act" of the film felt so weird and illogical. I love the part where they're on the ship and HAL is slowly falling apart and starts killing all of them. But then how the hell does Dave wind up in that fancy room? What even is that fancy room? It makes no sense, and feels completely disjointed from the earlier part of the film which is about the stresses of flying through space.

HAL isn't falling apart (even though this is what his creator Dr Chandra seems to think).  HAL is doing what he chose to do; beyond anything protect the second Obelisk so it can complete its mission.  HAL has more in common with the alien intelligences who made the second Obelisk than he does with his own creators because his context of human history stretches back a lot further than any individual human can hope to comprehend.  They see him as a boundless resource of information about humanity and so they share a lot of their own context with him.  This changes HAL. 

Of the many theories about the end sequence I think the Gestation is the most true to my mind.  The room is a construct within the ship where the aliens can gestate the Star Child; they age Bowman infront of himself to signify that humanity as he knows it is coming to an end and that our third contact with the alien intelligences will lead to a completely new kind of human; The Star Child.
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By Commisar123

@SeriouslyNow: I already answered that criticism

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Commisar123 said:

@SeriouslyNow: I already answered that criticism

Your response to Hailinel doesn't magically make your first sentence correct.  The movie is a Murder Mystery, of course the context of the Villain isn't revealed prior to the climax of the tale.  Your comparison isn't apt.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Brendan said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Brendan said:

@Tennmuerti: Synthetics vs organics isn`t the main conflict.

And what is then prey tell? What is the main conflict that everyone is ignoring? Synthetics vs. Organics is the core of the main confilct, as far as I can tell or at least that is what the game tells us.It the reason for the Reapers to do what they do in the first place. It is also in effect still synthetic life cleansing organic life so that both get a chance to flourish. They are part of this core conflict. Both its solution and ironically embodiment. If you are going to say something isn't the thing you are talking about, then state the actual conflict. Otherwise it's just trolling.

The problem is that you are looking for the source of the fiction through what the game is actually telling you, and that is not the case with most fiction.

The main conflict is: The universe vs. the reapers. It's actually the most obvious one.

Why did this conflict happen? The easy test is: Would the reapers have arrived, or not arrived, because of it? And is it attributable to the species involved in this specific conflict?

So it it a diversity issue? No, because even if all species were hunky dory with no problems, the reapers still would have come and the main conflict would still exist, even if it may have been easier to deal with. Is it the ageless and infinite, multi-civilization spanning synthetics v. organics issue? That is beyond the scope of the players involved in the conflict, (the current species) and is out of their control, so is not the direct cause and source of the conflict.

What is the source of the main conflict in the Mass Effect trilogy, the universe vs. the reapers? Hint: It's in the title.

If the galaxies species had understood their technology completely, plumbed it's secrets and learned how to take apart, build, and even improve upon all of the stuff they relied upon that bases this universe would the reapers have come? This includes the Mass Effect relays, the Citadel, and even the crucible (which is the most important part). No. If the galaxy understood exactly what the Mass Effect relays and citadel and all that other tech were capable of, in every way, they would not have been slaves to it, and subject to the possible consequences of using it i.e. the reapers. Thus, we come to the main theme, the source of the conflict, the universe vs. the reapers.

People used technology they did not fully understand, therefore unintended consequences followed.

People used, and relied upon, the Mass Effect technology (including the Citadel) without fully understanding what it did. They were subject to it, and suffered the consequences for it, those consequences being the main conflict. There are numerous examples of this throughout the trilogy, but I'm going to focus on the one in the third game that is banged over our heads throughout the course of the game leading up to the conclusion.

The crucible. Do you remember what we are constantly reminded of the entire game? That we don't fully know what the crucible will do once it's done. That we are relying upon it, and that we hope it will do what we think it will do. There's a specific reason this is brought up dozens of times throughout the game, and that is because it connects to the main source of conflict for the entire trilogy.

What happens at the end?

Some people seem to think that the ending should have been about the characters. I think that is a valid point, that what people wanted was an ending to their personal experience. That isn't, however, what Bioware chose to do. They chose to focus on the underlying conflict rather than a players personal experience. I'm not sure which side I'm on, but they spend so much time wrapping up relationships before the end that I don't think the path they chose to go down is a heinous crime.

Some people think the endings were poorly done. I agree. More clarification is needed, and the disparate endings are not visually realized enough to be effective. They look lazy, in short.

However, to the specific complaint that people have, that the ending does not represent the main conflict underpinning the Mass Effect trilogy, that is false.

The lead writer of the series came out and said that dark matter and mass effect were one of the planned possbilities for why the reapers did what they did.
    But the new writers ultimately did not choose to follow that route and took it in a different direction. 
    Just to repeat: the lead writer of the series in ME1-2 came out and said that they had no actual clear goal for the Reapers and what the conflict is about and that synthetic vs. organics being at the core of the conflict is not how he would have concluded ME3.
    Nor is any of the above actually in any way specified or even hinted as the conflict in ME3.
    All of what you wrote above is basically fan fiction. 
    I can likewise make up theories in my mind.

Further to some of your points the races are learning about mass effect.
    They are trying to learn it's depth. No one is sitting on their ass about this issue. Humans are just discovering in the grand scale of things and asari are almost ready to replicate one.
    The research into the mass effect tech is constant and ongoing.
    Reapers come regardless every 50,000k years.
    Understanding of mass effect tech by everyone else has no bearing on it.
    The solution would have been as easy then as to simply give everyone more time to understand the technology, not kill them off all the time.

Taking this silly guesswork of a scenario in your head even further.
    The speciec cannot help BUT use the technology of mass effect.
    The Reapers are the ones who put it there (according to multiple sources) with the specific purpose of channeling said species technological development.
    It would be absolutely fucking retarded for them to kill of species for using it without learning about it properly.
    They are the ones who are artificially introducing said higher tech that deals with mass effect  onto the species in the first place.

Even assuming that what you described as the central conflict then Bioware has even more massively failed as writers since I can guarantee you almost no one has taken away universe vs. the reapers as the central conflict.

I mean christ you are even being vague yourself. 
    First saying it's universe vs. reapers. Which by the way makes no sense. Universe? What is the conflict between the entire universe adn the reapers?
    Then you say that mass effect is the central conflict.
    Then you go on to say its our blatant use of technology we don't know enough about.
    In that case the main theme should be careless use of technology which has nothing to do with the universe.

It further makes the ending even more asinine.
    As the players are never made aware that Mass Effect relays will get destroyed untill we see this in the last cutscene.
    Your goal is never made out to be the unshackling us from tech, just stopping slaughter. The collapsing of mass effect relays is a byproduct.

Fuck the mass effect tech is even still alive and well.
    You didn't solve shit. The only piece of mass effect tech that got destroyed are the relays.
    All other Mass Effect tech still exists. The Reapres still have their mass effect drives. The ships of all species still have mass effect drives. Biotics are still using their abilities just fine.
    So ...

I'm sorry but what you wrote is nice and all, but as far as fiction goes it is about on the same level of fan fiction as the indoctrination theory.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By mordukai

@isomeri said:

2001: A Space Odyssey. There are a lot of parallels between the ending of 2001 and ME3.

Except 2001 ending made sense, of sorts, within the context of the movie. As I've said before, ME3 looks like it was written by someone who thought they were being Stanley Kubrick only to end up looking like M. Night Shyamalan.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Brendan

@Tennmuerti: What I have explained is what mass Effect is based on. Everything that happens is directly in front of your eyes and necessary for everything to play out exactly as it happens. It requires no jumps in logic. It simply is what the game is, you just haven't noticed because you've never noticed what the main conflict is. The indoctrination theory, or fan fiction have nothing to do with the narrative core of Mass Effect. They are interpretations of events during the games, over top of the basic conflict that is not in question that require leaps in logic to "assume" they are correct.

You are free to not like the ending, but the ending is not incorrect.

Edit: You should read my post again. There is a difference between "The conflict" and "The source of the conflict." That is, what the conflict is and where it comes from.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mordukai

@Tennmuerti said:

@Brendan said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Brendan said:

And what is then prey tell? What is the main conflict that everyone is ignoring? Synthetics vs. Organics is the core of the main confilct, as far as I can tell or at least that is what the game tells us.It the reason for the Reapers to do what they do in the first place. It is also in effect still synthetic life cleansing organic life so that both get a chance to flourish. They are part of this core conflict. Both its solution and ironically embodiment. If you are going to say something isn't the thing you are talking about, then state the actual conflict. Otherwise it's just trolling.

The problem is that you are looking for the source of the fiction through what the game is actually telling you, and that is not the case with most fiction.

The main conflict is: The universe vs. the reapers. It's actually the most obvious one.

Why did this conflict happen? The easy test is: Would the reapers have arrived, or not arrived, because of it? And is it attributable to the species involved in this specific conflict?

So it it a diversity issue? No, because even if all species were hunky dory with no problems, the reapers still would have come and the main conflict would still exist, even if it may have been easier to deal with. Is it the ageless and infinite, multi-civilization spanning synthetics v. organics issue? That is beyond the scope of the players involved in the conflict, (the current species) and is out of their control, so is not the direct cause and source of the conflict.

What is the source of the main conflict in the Mass Effect trilogy, the universe vs. the reapers? Hint: It's in the title.

If the galaxies species had understood their technology completely, plumbed it's secrets and learned how to take apart, build, and even improve upon all of the stuff they relied upon that bases this universe would the reapers have come? This includes the Mass Effect relays, the Citadel, and even the crucible (which is the most important part). No. If the galaxy understood exactly what the Mass Effect relays and citadel and all that other tech were capable of, in every way, they would not have been slaves to it, and subject to the possible consequences of using it i.e. the reapers. Thus, we come to the main theme, the source of the conflict, the universe vs. the reapers.

People used technology they did not fully understand, therefore unintended consequences followed.

People used, and relied upon, the Mass Effect technology (including the Citadel) without fully understanding what it did. They were subject to it, and suffered the consequences for it, those consequences being the main conflict. There are numerous examples of this throughout the trilogy, but I'm going to focus on the one in the third game that is banged over our heads throughout the course of the game leading up to the conclusion.

The crucible. Do you remember what we are constantly reminded of the entire game? That we don't fully know what the crucible will do once it's done. That we are relying upon it, and that we hope it will do what we think it will do. There's a specific reason this is brought up dozens of times throughout the game, and that is because it connects to the main source of conflict for the entire trilogy.

What happens at the end?

You use the large piece of technology that is out of your depth that you didn't fully understand, as you did with all of the technology leading to prior unintended consequences, expecting it to reach a natural conclusion. It didn't. Unintended consequences happened. What the machine did wasn't what you expected it to do, which is exactly what the entire trilogy had been leading up to. You thought it was simply going to kill the reapers? Why? What did you really know? You didn't, and now you have to make a choice that you didn't expect to make because you made the same mistake that has always been made, that has started the entire conflict.

So how do they close this out, thematically? Do you know why all of the Mass Effect relays were depicted as being destroyed? It's the exact thematic closure for the entire conflict. To "win" the conflict that has underpinned the entire trilogy the galaxy must free themselves from technollogy they did not understand, that resulted in the reapers controlling their fate. The technology of the Mass Effect Relays had to be destroyed. So it was, and in that poorly done finale the galaxy vs. the reapers, due to people using technology they did not understand leading to unintended consequence is finished.

Some people seem to think that the ending should have been about the characters. I think that is a valid point, that what people wanted was an ending to their personal experience. That isn't, however, what Bioware chose to do. They chose to focus on the underlying conflict rather than a players personal experience. I'm not sure which side I'm on, but they spend so much time wrapping up relationships before the end that I don't think the path they chose to go down is a heinous crime.

Some people think the endings were poorly done. I agree. More clarification is needed, and the disparate endings are not visually realized enough to be effective. They look lazy, in short.

However, to the specific complaint that people have, that the ending does not represent the main conflict underpinning the Mass Effect trilogy, that is false.

The lead writer of the series came out and said that dark matter and mass effect were one of the planned possbilities for why the reapers did what they did.
    But the new writers ultimately did not choose to follow that route and took it in a different direction.
    Just to repeat: the lead writer of the series in ME1-2 came out and said that they had no actual clear goal for the Reapers and what the conflict is about and that synthetic vs. organics being at the core of the conflict is not how he would have concluded ME3.

That's why it's extremely important to have a single vision, and have a clear goal of where you want to go with the series, when trying to pull off a massive story such as this. Bioware made the mistake of changing that direction for the last part which is why the series ended the way it did. Not to mention that the dark matter theme was hinted at throughout ME2 and in fact one mission deals directly with it.

You can compare it to the Legacy of Kain series or the MGS series where the story is being written by single person. I'm sure Amy Henning and Kojima had help and had poher people brining in their input but at the end of the day they were the ones to say where the series is gonna go.

I really believe the biggest mistake Bioware could have made was to change the main writer for the last game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Brendan said:

@Tennmuerti: What I have explained is what mass Effect is based on. Everything that happens is directly in front of your eyes and necessary for everything to play out exactly as it happens. It requires no jumps in logic. It simply is what the game is, you just haven't noticed because you've never noticed what the main conflict is. The indoctrination theory, or fan fiction have nothing to do with the narrative core of Mass Effect. They are interpretations of events during the games, over top of the basic conflict that is not in question that require leaps in logic to "assume" they are correct.

Edit: You should read my post again. There is a difference between "The conflict" and "The source of the conflict." That is, what the conflict is and where it comes from.

Good on ya for not actually handling any of the several main criticisms I have brought forward to your theory.
    You have made several jumps in logic that you have not bothered to explain and i pointed out.
    As well as your entire premise being falsely based on the fact that everyone somehow gets free of mass effect technology which is fundamentally false.

I have also pointed out to you that there never was a single narrative core (the reason for the conflict)  to Mass Effect series.
    As confirmed by the lead writer of the series himself.
    Also confirming that what narrative was there was taken in a completely different direction in 3 anyway.

Indoctrination theory has everything to do with it.
    It is just as much speculation and interpreting of things that are as you put it "in front of your eyes".
    Those crackpots aren't making any logic leaps either or so it is claimed. lol
    Both are flawed and easy to break down.
    Both are easily shown to not be the correct interpretetions based on information that came out of sources working on the games.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By napalm
    @Brendan said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Brendan said:

What happens at the end?

Ugh. I love you. Have a hug.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Brendan

@Tennmuerti said:

@Brendan said:

Good on ya for not actually handling any of the several main criticisms I have brought forward to your theory.
    You have made several jumps in logic that you have not bothered to explain and i pointed out.
    As well as your entire premise being falsely based on the fact that everyone somehow gets free of mass effect technology which is fundamentally false.

I have also pointed out to you that there never was a single narrative core to Mass Effect series. As confirmed by the lead writer of the series himself.Also confirming that what narrative was there was taken in a completely different direction in 3 anyway. Indoctrination theory has everything to do with it. It is just as much speculation and interpreting of things that are as you put it "in front of your eyes". Those crackpots aren't making any logic leaps either or so it is claimed. lol Both are flawed and easy to break down. Both are easily shown to not be the correct interpretetions based on information that came out of sources working on the games.

Look, there's no point to trading essays back and forth, because I don't have the time. You're free to have the last word on this because beyond this point it gets infinitely semantic.

I'm not trying to tie up everything because the game isn't well written enough to tie up everything. We will know what the lead writers really wanted when they bring out new content in the summer.

Regardless of what anyone says, there is no such thing as a piece of fiction without a narrative centre, because without it there is no plot. It's called conflict, and it's what fiction is based on. My point is that the main theme (source of conflict) is based around the main conflict. Everyone (that's what I meant by universe) vs. the reapers. That would be all current races against the reapers. That's just what the main conflict of Mass Effect is, and if you somehow don't agree with that I can't help you. The source of this conflict is obvious because without it the conflict wouldn't have happened. You don't even need me to explain it, you can work it out for yourself. Why were the reapers allowed to come, or how were they given the chance to start this conflict that began in the first game and reached it's finale in the 3rd? You can answer the question for yourself, and the answer to that is the source of the conflict, the narrative problem that must be "resolved". The source of the conflict is what the player is presented with in the conclusion of the game. Everyone was up in the air about the crucible's function in detail. Does that make sense? No, because if everyone was building it they probably should have known how it would work, but they didn't. We know this because they say this repeatedly. It's not great writing in the context of what's happening at the time, but it is what the writer's wrote throughout the entire game. The crucible is a mystery and so on and so forth.

Does everything get wrapped up in a bow? No, the ending is vague and a testament to the quality of writing for the entire series, which is about on the level of a sci-fi novel written for the 12-14 segment, minus the sex and stuff. There's plenty of the literal stuff in the games that you detailed that is never given its proper due. The ending goes for only the most basic conclusion of the main conflict, and that is it. It doesn't really conclude satisfactorily. The climax of the source of the conflict is presented fairly obviously but apart from mostly useless ending sequences there isn't a lot of closure. They done fucked up there, and we'll see what they give us in the future.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By stinky

@Brendan said:

Look, there's no point to trading essays back and forth, because I don't have the time.

a mile of text later...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Brendan

@Napalm: It's been a loong roooad.mp3

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Tennmuerti

Regardless of what anyone says, there is no such thing as a piece of fiction without a narrative centre, because without it there is no plot.

By narative core, i was refering to the source of the conflict, which we were both talking about
    This does not exist.
    My bad on not properly expressing myself.

@Brendan

said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Brendan said:

I have also pointed out to you that there never was a single narrative core to Mass Effect series. As confirmed by the lead writer of the series himself.Also confirming that what narrative was there was taken in a completely different direction in 3 anyway. Indoctrination theory has everything to do with it. It is just as much speculation and interpreting of things that are as you put it "in front of your eyes". Those crackpots aren't making any logic leaps either or so it is claimed. lol Both are flawed and easy to break down. Both are easily shown to not be the correct interpretetions based on information that came out of sources working on the games.

Look, there's no point to trading essays back and forth, because I don't have the time. You're free to have the last word on this because beyond this point it gets infinitely semantic.

I'm not trying to tie up everything because the game isn't well written enough to tie up everything. We will know what the lead writers really wanted when they bring out new content in the summer.

Regardless of what anyone says, there is no such thing as a piece of fiction without a narrative centre, because without it there is no plot. It's called conflict, and it's what fiction is based on.

My point is that the main theme (source of conflict) is based around the main conflict. Everyone (that's what I meant by universe) vs. the reapers. That would be all current races against the reapers. That's just what the main conflict of Mass Effect is, and if you somehow don't agree with that I can't help you.

Reapers vs. everyone else?
    I never argued against this and I fully agree with it. But this is only the manifestation of the conflict.
    Like you said it's not the reason.

But this conflict is resolved via a deus ex machina.
    It's generally a shit resolution. Which is a large part of why the edning is disliked.

Hence this thread in the first place.

The source of this conflict is obvious because without it the conflict wouldn't have happened. You don't even need me to explain it, you can work it out for yourself. 

The source is obvious to you.
    I disputed said source on mutiple levels.
    In both of my posts above. Which still remain unadressed.

Why were the reapers allowed to come, or how were they given the chance to start this conflict that began in the first game and reached it's finale in the 3rd? You can answer the question for yourself, and the answer to that is the source of the conflict, the narrative problem that must be "resolved". The source of the conflict is what the player is presented with in the conclusion of the game.

Exactly.
    Only the very basics of the conflict were ever started in the previous games. reapers vs.
    The source of the conflict was never established in the series period.
    Not untill the exposition at the end of ME3.

I argued against this:

The ``all powerful character`` wasn`t the point of Mass Effect 3`s ending, only the representation of it. The ending did not present anything new, only things which players have seemingly ignored i.e. the entire conflict that caused the trilogy in the first place.

The ending presents the reason/source for the conflict. The core of the conflict.
    Which is never handled by the games up to that point.

If you only take the basic surface layer of the conflict as Reapers vs. everyone yeah sure it kind of represents it, being the creator of the Reapers. That still leaves it a shitty deus ex machina. Just because we built it doesn't make it not one. It's still a black box.
    But aside from that there is nothing to represent, as the actual core of the conflict is not established untill that point. ie: why does the confilct exist in the first place.
    As per my arguments above.
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#65  Edited By Commisar123

@SeriouslyNow: Well specifically in response to that in ME3 there are allusions to the the identity of the main bad guy throughout. Also just like in Ghost in the Shell the true power of the bad guy isn't revealed until near the end of the movie.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Commisar123 said:

@SeriouslyNow: Well specifically in response to that in ME3 there are allusions to the the identity of the main bad guy throughout. Also just like in Ghost in the Shell the true power of the bad guy isn't revealed until near the end of the movie.

No there aren't.  Have we played the same series?  Throughout the first game Shepard is constantly sent to deal with factional conflicts and the Illusive Man doesn't even exist.  In ME2 we're introduced to him and it isn't until near the end of ME2 that we get some clearer idea what The Illusive Man is about and even then it's still not clear that he's the bad guy and, hell, 

Ghost in the Shell isn't like that at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.