Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

How Did You Handle the Geth and Quarian Situation (SPOILERS)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

I just finished up the Geth and Quarian scenario and would like to know how the rest of you handle the situation. I only saw two options; side with the Quarians or the Geth. I chose the Geth because I thought the treatment of their race was awful and I felt they deserved freedom so I gave it. But I just wish there had been a third option (maybe there was and I missed it). Tali's suicide felt a little out of place. I get what they were getting at and what she was feeling but, still, it seemed like she had handled being exiled so well and was so used to life away from her people that she could have handled their destruction (though she would have been pretty fucked up for a while).

What about the rest of you?

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

You can get them both to ally together.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JasonR86

@DrDarkStryfe:

How do you get that to happen?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

Yeah, got 'em to ally with each other. I had my dude rewrite the geth, save Koris and that other quarian thing, and happy ending for all.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Giefcookie

Paragoned my way into getting them to ally and join the fleet. Legion "dies" but my Shepard has a thing for Tali anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a bit pissed of at that situation because I had everything that I needed to use the Reputation Check to get them both to ally, but the game didn't even give me the option for some reason (apparently a lot of people have conflicting reports whether or not the game allowed them to do it).

So I decided to say fuck you to the Quarians as the Geth seemed more capable of fighting.

Now I am going through on my male Shepard and he is probably going to save the Quarians.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JasonR86

@Village_Guy said:

I was a bit pissed of at that situation because I had everything that I needed to use the Reputation Check to get them both to ally, but the game didn't even give me the option for some reason (apparently a lot of people have conflicting reports whether or not the game allowed them to do it).

So I decided to say fuck you to the Quarians as the Geth seemed more capable of fighting.

Now I am going through on my male Shepard and he is probably going to save the Quarians.

That's shitty. I was never given the option and I was at level 47.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i got them working together in peaceful harmony, rebuilding the home world side by side. it was pretty awesome i won't lie.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My Tali wasn't exiled (don't know if this has any impact on the available options), but I got the Quarians to stop being dicks and work together with the Geth. After that they agreed to share Rannoch.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By AndrewB

It takes a bit of rationalizing to figure out what choices you need to make to ensure things can be resolved diplomatically without Tali dying, but it's possible.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Codeacious

There are a few conditions that give "plot points" towards this situation, and they are as follows:

a) Destroying the Heretics in ME2 (Legion's Loyalty mission) gives +2.

b) Not exiling Tali in ME2 gives +2.

c) Saving Koris (one of the missions before the final mission on Rannoch) gives +1.

d) Going to the Geth Fighter Base with Legion gives +1.

e) Solving the fight between Legion and Tali in ME2 gives +1.

You need 5 to make peace.

EToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EToaster

It seems there's a kind of points system based on actions in both 2 and 3. Doing Tali's loyalty mission and maybe Legion's, vouching for peace with the Geth in 2, as well as saving the civilian admiral (required I think) in 3 give you points towards being able to pull off peace. If you have enough points when the time comes, you get a Paragon/Renegade choice after you tell Legion to start uploading.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JasonR86

@isnipeyoudie said:

There are a few conditions that give "plot points" towards this situation, and they are as follows:

c) Saving Koris (one of the missions before the final mission on Rannoch) gives +1.

Ohh, ok. Yeah, if this is true then I had 2 maybe 3 points. Shitty.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Dingofighter

I made peace between them, and it was great. 

Mercot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercot

I'd re-written the heretic Geth in ME2, and tried to help them as best I could in ME3, but as Legion couldn't stop them from attacking the Quarians (yes they were defending themselves, but couldn't they conceivably produce more Geth platforms after the fighting?) I had to take him down. Toughest choice in the game. Hands down. As I understand it, that decision made the Geth extinct.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JasonR86

@Mercot said:

I'd re-written the heretic Geth in ME2, and tried to help them as best I could in ME3, but as Legion couldn't stop them from attacking the Quarians (yes they were defending themselves, but couldn't they conceivably produce more Geth platforms after the fighting?) I had to take him down. Toughest choice in the game. Hands down. As I understand it, that decision made the Geth extinct.

It was vice versa for the Quarians. That whole thing was a bummer.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By aceofspudz

I went into this mission with my renegade shep pre-prepared to sacrifice the Geth if it came down to it. But I made it past the first prompt to kill them (I figured there would be another one if the game was really going to let me) and selected the paragon option to rally the fleet. I never do pure renegade runs, and it didn't seem like the situation called for asshole shep.

At first I thought it was kind of bullshit that the game gave you a way out of a seemingly intractable standoff rooted in centuries of conflict. The hard choices are more powerful.

But later I read about what you had to do to get the paragon option to appear and...well, I guess that isn't so bad. Still kind of felt just-so.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By FLStyle

Things like this is exactly the reason why I level up my speech as soon as possible. I also paragon-ed this into both becoming allies.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

"Tali! No!"

Which was slightly irritating since I'm pretty sure I had enough plot points to make peace. I must've missed something...oh well, at least I can use the Save Game editor.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DoctorTran

Everybody but Legion lived.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti

Legion's self sacrifice to uplift his entire race was the most touching moment for me in the entire series.
    Even over Mordin's scene.

What can I say I'm a huge sucker for those scenarios where a being gains intelligence or simmilar motifs.
    Like i teared up several times watching that last planet of the apes movie.
    It probably comes from  a childhood spent readin Isaac Asimov novels :)

So that scene hit me on several levels simultaneously.
    Like emotional hammers pounding my skull over and over.
    Legion and Geth while technically already sentient, Legion showed huge development in ME2.
    Legion became a friend.
    Towards the end in ME3 he finally starts refering to himself as "I"
    He then makes the ultimate sacrifice of his own life, his newfound individuality for his entire race. A part of him in all of them.
    All this happening under threat of annihilation and mutual destruction of 2 species.
    Meanwhile my constant love interest Tali, with whom Shepard just got reunited is also directly involved in the mess.
    And then all the Geth gain individuality.
    Quarians (including Tali) regain their homeworld.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

baconbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By baconbot

@Tennmuerti said:

Legion's self sacrifice to uplift his entire race was the most touching moment for me in the entire series. Even over Mordin's scene.

I totally agree but both made me immensely happy at the same time.\

THough I did almost cry with Mordin...

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jasta

Both Tali and Legion lived, plus the Geth and Quarians are now the best of friends.

I don't think things could have gone down any better than that.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Baconbot said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Legion's self sacrifice to uplift his entire race was the most touching moment for me in the entire series. Even over Mordin's scene.

I totally agree but both made me immensely happy at the same time.\

THough I did almost cry with Mordin...

Yep i teared up a bit with both sadness and joy in both those scenes.
    People tell me i take works of fiction like books/games way too seriously all the time :)
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By DragoonKain1687

@JasonR86 said:

I just finished up the Geth and Quarian scenario and would like to know how the rest of you handle the situation. I only saw two options; side with the Quarians or the Geth. I chose the Geth because I thought the treatment of their race was awful and I felt they deserved freedom so I gave it. But I just wish there had been a third option (maybe there was and I missed it). Tali's suicide felt a little out of place. I get what they were getting at and what she was feeling but, still, it seemed like she had handled being exiled so well and was so used to life away from her people that she could have handled their destruction (though she would have been pretty fucked up for a while).

Did the same as you. The mission with Legion on the servers was the turning point. I already hated the Quarians for some reason, this just turned the balance. Tali died during my suicide mission on ME 2, never tried to re do it. Kind of agree with the article here about Miranda. I still wanted to get both sides at even terms, felt kind of out of place since I convinced the most charismatic admiral to side with me and step out of this conflict. I believe it was a mistake from Bioware, maybe they can solve this in the future.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JasonR86

@DragoonKain1687 said:

@JasonR86 said:

Did the same as you. The mission with Legion on the servers was the turning point. I already hated the Quarians for some reason, this just turned the balance. Tali died during my suicide mission on ME 2, never tried to re do it. Kind of agree with the article here about Miranda. I still wanted to get both sides at even terms, felt kind of out of place since I convinced the most charismatic admiral to side with me and step out of this conflict. I believe it was a mistake from Bioware, maybe they can solve this in the future.

I don't know if it was a mistake exactly. Knowing more about the process Bioware made me, as a person who has played all of the ME games, live with the decisions I made (which led to an exiled Tali and keeping the Geth heretics alive). I just think that her suicide felt a little...off. I don't know, I just didn't buy her killing herself due to what had happened. But maybe, to someone else, her death made perfect sense. Like I said, I understand why she did it I just didn't buy that reason.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@isnipeyoudie said:

Also, my understanding is that both Tali and Legion need to be alive, otherwise it's impossible. In my game Legion was dead, and despite the fact that I'd done most of the above, I couldn't get them to peace it up. I destroyed the Geth, by the way. They're not really alive anyway, fuck 'em.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Codeacious

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Also, my understanding is that both Tali and Legion need to be alive, otherwise it's impossible.

Yes, that's accurate. I forgot to mention that. They both have to be alive for it to work.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gravier251

back in ME2 I destroyed the Geth heretics as legion mentioned that when rewritten they would re-upload all of their experiences to the rest of the Geth. Which could potentially corrupt all of them. Seemed like too much of a risk so I decided to kill all the heretics to protect the ones who aren't corrupted, than to gamble and possibly lose it all. Seems it paid off though as Legion said it was actually the right call. Nice to see some validation for making the harder/harsher (renegade) call. I Managed to get the Geth and Quarians to make peace.

My character is pretty much all paragon, though from time to time making renegade calls for the sake of the galaxy. I wound up in ME2 letting Mordin execute Maelon and then told him to wipe the data. Was interesting how that played out in ME3. Ended up having to pull the trigger on Mordin and shoot him dead, sabotage the genophage cure and lie to Wrex (and eventually kill him too) all for the sake of the galaxy as a pretty much completely paragon shepard. Plenty of interesting scenes with that undercurrent of awkward guilt for that. Depressing but I stand by that, Krogan breed too fast to sustain :/

Anyway, as for the Quarian and Geth situation there has been plenty of hints in the past as to the geth having a degree of reverence for their creators, the main issue was the over-reaction of the Quarians. Peace between them should likely work out.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By galiant

I couldn't import my ME2 save, so it was impossible for me to make peace between them. Which sucked. I chose the Geth, because the idiot Quarians wouldn't back down.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By DragoonKain1687

@JasonR86 said:

@DragoonKain1687 said:

@JasonR86 said:

I don't know if it was a mistake exactly. Knowing more about the process Bioware made me, as a person who has played all of the ME games, live with the decisions I made (which led to an exiled Tali and keeping the Geth heretics alive). I just think that her suicide felt a little...off. I don't know, I just didn't buy her killing herself due to what had happened. But maybe, to someone else, her death made perfect sense. Like I said, I understand why she did it I just didn't buy that reason.

In my case it was Admiral Raan who commited suicide. The problem is, that I saved an Admiral who was going to make the civilian fleet to retreat. This did not happen, and won't happen unless Tali is alive. Which is just poor development imo. I carry right now with that guilt, an entire race wiped clean, due to intolerance, and poor development.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By TheHT

That's probably the best bit of the game really. That one coversation after Gerrel almost kills you was one of the best angry Shepard moments in the series (granted I'm mostly paragon, so that might be completely untrue). Not to mention the mission to the Geth Concensus is pretty crazy, and the stuff you learn about Legion in there are so damn sad. And the scene when you make that ultimate choice itself is fucking amazing. Tali's begging you not to do it, Legion's counting up progress, the fleet chatters on about attacking. Such a hectic moment. And the payoff with the geth prime when you see Raan. So good.

I allowed Legion to upload it and talked the fleet into not attacking the dormant geth.

@Gravier251 said:

My character is pretty much all paragon, though from time to time making renegade calls for the sake of the galaxy. I wound up in ME2 letting Mordin execute Maelon and then told him to wipe the data. Was interesting how that played out in ME3. Ended up having to pull the trigger on Mordin and shoot him dead, sabotage the genophage cure and lie to Wrex (and eventually kill him too) all for the sake of the galaxy as a pretty much completely paragon shepard. Plenty of interesting scenes with that undercurrent of awkward guilt for that. Depressing but I stand by that, Krogan breed too fast to sustain :/

Great thing about these games: I did the exact opposite, all for the sake of the galaxy.

815Sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 815Sox

They made peace together... just like the Krogans and Turians. Played Paragon Shep the entire series. I did rewrite the geth as well.

I do not think I could pick one or the other. Although, the Quarians handling of the situation was terrible. Something starts to become self-concious, asks if it has a soul and then it is attacked. Not only that but the Quarians erased all opposition from their own people.

But then it would break my heart to lose Tali. I am so glad I was able to make peace. Legion gave the ultimate sacrifice, but he was okay with it as he knew that his people finally had peace. That is all the geth ever sought.

One of the most touching moments of the entire series:

Legion: Tali, do I have a soul?

Tali: Legion, The answer to your question is yes.

(notice "I", not "we". The Geth were becoming so self-aware that they were starting to see themselves as individual lifeforms)

sukru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sukru

Unfortunately in my second (and imported) ME2 Tali decided to die at the suicide mission. She did not in the first (everyone survived), but there were other choices I liked better, so I carried with this import.

I think I got other points in the 5 point goal, nevertheless peace option never came up.

Anyways, the Quairans were the bad people in this matter, as sad as it was, they had to go. :(

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By EuanDewar

Very poorly indeed.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By myniceicelife

original outcome was the quarians getting destroyed; however, I noticed that i did the wrong mission first so I reloaded and did the other mission first. it wasn't that i knew the outcome would change, I just picked the wrong mission and wanted to do the other one after realizing i couldn't do it after i finished the one where the decision was made. I'm happy I did the other mission cause it was one of the cooler missions imo. After that, i paragoned my way to a peace between the two.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Samaritan

I handled it "correctly", as in, the quarians and geth made nice and I "only" lost Legion. Not nearly as heartbreaking as what happens when you don't have enough plots or Paragon/Renegade points to solve the issue. But, in a way, while it was good that I was able to unite those two factions, especially after seeing the truth behind the quarian/geth war, I think it would've been a better game if I had to make the incredibly hard choice of who to lose. Having to choose between Tali and Legion, and thereby the quarians and geth, would've been far more emotionally resonating and would've left you with a sense of lingering doubt. "Did I make the right decision?" Akin to the Ashley/Kaidan choice, but this time around with characters you actually, you know, give a crap about.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ichthy

@MyNiceIceLife said:

original outcome was the quarians getting destroyed; however, I noticed that i did the wrong mission first so I reloaded and did the other mission first. it wasn't that i knew the outcome would change, I just picked the wrong mission and wanted to do the other one after realizing i couldn't do it after i finished the one where the decision was made. I'm happy I did the other mission cause it was one of the cooler missions imo. After that, i paragoned my way to a peace between the two.

Yeah, that's what happened to me. In retrospect I probably should have checked the log to see which one was the priority mission, because it did kinda cheapen the decision after I knew what the outcome was.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mezmero

I used my original import all the way to ME3 and I had my Shepard be completely against sentient machines. Originally I left Legion deactivated not knowing that I would be locked from using him. I went back and got him later in a different save for achievement purposes and realized how awesome he was. So I stuck to my guns and planned the slaughter of the Geth with Tali by my side. The Terminator and Matrix movies clearly state that machines will always rise up and kill us all. Still it kind of sucks that you need to mainline certain criteria just to get the reputation push option(s) for the outcome you want.

A separate question I have concerning Legion in ME3: If you reactivated Legion in ME2 is it the original body or does he also have that holographic N7 armor as well as a holographic hole in his stomach? In my save (which left him deactivated) he states that he was based on the original model and the in game UI calls it "Geth IV" or something like that. So it indeed is presented as a completely different body. I just want to know if there are any noticeable differences in the character model in a save which had him activated and alive.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sickVisionz

I never saw the option to have them both team up. Tali was my girlfriend so I let her people live. The Geth seemed like they'd probably be better allies to have and I usually root for slaves over slave masters regardless of any other factors, but I couldn't pull myself to end a legit species just to save a bunch of machines. Plus, I hadn't seen Tali's face yet and I knew my evil psycho murder bitch Shepherd playthrough would pull the plug on the Quars so it's not like I would never get to see how it played out in the long run.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Brendan

I've always done a bunch of paragon stuff in the Mass Effect games which allowed me to see the blue paragon option in the conversation in the climax of the quarian/geth missions. My blue bar was also topped out which is nice. I could tell that there were some areas earlier in the game where I didn't have enough of the blue stuff to resolve a situation best (salarians/krogans).

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By veektarius

@MaFoLu said:

I made peace between them, and it was great.

That really is a great sequence. What I decided was my favorite, in that other thread.

Avatar image for posttimeskipsam
    posttimeskipsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By posttimeskipsam

On my "paragon" Shepard, I originally saved the Geth not knowing Tali would end of committing suicide and driving me into a horrible nightmare of holy shit what did I just do. So I reloaded a save and saved the Quarians.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ghostiet

Made peace. Too bad it doesn't matter AT ALL if you choose the "best" ending.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#45  Edited By Humanity

@Galiant said:

I couldn't import my ME2 save, so it was impossible for me to make peace between them. Which sucked. I chose the Geth, because the idiot Quarians wouldn't back down.

I'm in the same boat, and just did this scenario - the fact that you need those things from ME2 to get the peaceful resolution is both cool and infuriating. In all honesty I'd rather have the Geth live cause the Quarians seemed to be huge dicks overall and it was never easy getting along with them (plus those creepy suits!) but it sucks that theres no way to get this done if you just start a new game.

I think the way it should have been done is that there should have been several missions in ME3 that decide these checks - and situations from ME2 should have made it so that you can fuck up or not do all of them in ME3 and still get the choice.

It's kind of dick that they just lock you out from that choice completely.

I understand it's the whole cool importing and choice mechanics - but I paid the same price as everyone else did for the game, yet unless I re-buy ME2 and re-play it from scratch I will never have access to this content.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By briangodsoe

I stopped the fleet, brokered peace with the Geth and the Quarians, and felt fucking awesome for it the rest of the night.

Taker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Taker666

@isnipeyoudie:

A: i rewrote the geth heritics

B:tali was exiled

C: resolved fight

D: didn't save admrial koris

E: save dorn

can you get peace with thise?

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#48  Edited By Draugen

@Taker666: Not a chance, I'm afraid.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Roger778

@DoctorTran:

same thing here for me.

lwcutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@codeacious: SUPER old bump I know, I just thought I'd chime in here. I have been having bug after bug with quests in the whole mass effect series. After FINALLY playing through to ME 3 (I only got the games this year), I got to this quest. I me ALL, yes ALL of the requirements you listed here, am 100% paragon, and NO option to save unite them was ever presented. I had ALL the criteria, +7. Nope. No option to save. Two play throughts. 100% renegade and 100% paragon. Different computers, same thing. Total Bull****!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.