How do you turn off voice chat?

#1 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

Voice chat is great for Silver and Gold challenges in the multiplayer, but how can you turn it off before a Bronze match is launched and a player's baby decides to start crying and crying AND CRYING AND CRYING AND CRYING OVER THE MIC? I swear the kid was wearing the headset and not the player.

We booted his ass out of the lobby, but I wish I knew how to silence someone.

#2 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Mute them.

#3 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Mute them.

That's the thing- I can't figure out how to mute players individually.

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Go to their gamercard/profile and select Mute.

No quick button ingame as far as I know.

#5 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Go to their gamercard/profile and select Mute. No quick button ingame as far as I know.

Thanks. My problem was looking for a quick in-game button because of that speaker icon under their name. I guess if I played more multiplayer games I would have realized I can mute individual players via their gamercard.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@bonorbitz: Its a hassle, but better than getting a head ache from suffering it.
#7 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@bonorbitz: Its a hassle, but better than getting a head ache from suffering it.

So my next question is: if the baby (literally or figuratively depending on who I'm playing with) started screaming in the middle of the match am I still able to mute the player at that point or should I just mute the sound system?

#8 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

So my next question is: if the baby (literally or figuratively depending on who I'm playing with) started screaming in the middle of the match am I still able to mute the player at that point or should I just mute the sound system?

I had something similar to this happen yesterday, except it was a 13-15 yr old saying "Mother Fucker" about 3 times a sentence. I couldn't take it and couldn't figure out how to mute in-game, so I just quit out. Didn't feel like I should have to mute my TV because of some immature brat.

#9 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@bonorbitz said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I had something similar to this happen yesterday, except it was a 13-15 yr old saying "Mother Fucker" about 3 times a sentence. I couldn't take it and couldn't figure out how to mute in-game, so I just quit out. Didn't feel like I should have to mute my TV because of some immature brat.

I wonder if his "Motherfuckers" doubled per sentence after you dropped out.

That's why I don't play multiplayer games that much. I guess I need to find more friends (or Giant Bombers) who are playing the games I'm playing or get the games they're playing.

#10 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@bonorbitz said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I wonder if his "Motherfuckers" doubled per sentence after you dropped out.

That's why I don't play multiplayer games that much. I guess I need to find more friends (or Giant Bombers) who are playing the games I'm playing or get the games they're playing.

It is a shame that you run into these people. I'd had mainly good runs too with the random assignment of folks to play with, but recently I've been hitting more and more people playing music or talking nonsense nonstop.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@bonorbitz said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Press start, use the d-pad/analoge to select the players name, it will open his gamercard and you can mute him from there.
Did that today when a guy decided to make his own noises, apperently not liking the ones already provided by the game's biotic explosions.
#12 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@bonorbitz said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Press start, use the d-pad/analoge to select the players name, it will open his gamercard and you can mute him from there. Did that today when a guy decided to make his own noises, apperently not liking the ones already provided by the game's biotic explosions.

That sounds sort of entertaining, though, maybe only for a few minutes.

#13 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@BrockNRolla: It was.
But when I asked him to please shut the fuck up before he hurts himself ( making such noises can't be good for your throat) he went mental on me and started being very nasty about my poor little Krogan ( whom was leading by a 30k point difference, but hey!) and told me I belonged to the kitchen ( which is totally my fault for using a headset ofcourse) so I muted him.

Had a great match besides that! Nailed a Phantom to the wall with the harpoon gun <3.
#14 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Well, good for you for not letting that kind of stuff get under your skin. I have yet to get a harpoon gun, but I too rock a Krogan. Sentinel with a Mattlock shotgun.

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@BrockNRolla: Krogan Sentinel build for full melee and damage reduction is so much fun!
Equip a Claymore shotgun (or any of those big baddies) and a back up weapon (widow for guardian shield piercing for example!) and go mental! 
With some proper tactics you can be unstoppable on the battlefield, just don't run into fights headfirst.
Because if you get flanked by several units that melee you not even rage mode will save you!
That said, I charge around the battlefield flanking the AI and heavy melee'ing (charge!) all the nasty baddies (Centurions, Phantoms, Combat Engineers) and basically wreck groups of normal health mobs with little problems!

Do not forget to soak up damage however, I usually dive in front of turrets, Atlas' rockets or straight into a Phantom's melee, because I know the Krogan Sentinel can handle a few shots compared to the Quarians or Geth shields/health!
#16 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Ah, the Claymore was what I meant! (The Mattlock is a rifle I think). I love using the heavy melee and up close combat. It's about the opposite of how I would normally play, but that's exactly why I'm finding the multiplayer enjoyable. I tend to find myself frequently charging around without regard for my safety, but since I've upgraded the rage, I'm typically pretty survivable. It's a very fun way to play. Never thought I would run toward a Banshee, but it's a totally workable strategy with this class.

#17 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

Ah, the Claymore was what I meant! (The Mattlock is a rifle I think). I love using the heavy melee and up close combat. It's about the opposite of how I would normally play, but that's exactly why I'm finding the multiplayer enjoyable. I tend to find myself frequently charging around without regard for my safety, but since I've upgraded the rage, I'm typically pretty survivable. It's a very fun way to play. Never thought I would run toward a Banshee, but it's a totally workable strategy with this class.

It also works for Vanguard if you use the Biotic Charge followed by Nova after the Banshee's been whittled down a bit. No matter how many times I see those things, they still freak me out.

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@bonorbitz said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@TaliciaDragonsong

It also works for Vanguard if you use the Biotic Charge followed by Nova after the Banshee's been whittled down a bit. No matter how many times I see those things, they still freak me out.

With the right tactic a Krogan can be a very valuable ally when it comes to those big baddies! 
I mean, I can soak up insane amounts of damage and I can hit 3 bars of a Atlas with my heavy melee!
How is that not handy?
#19 Posted by bozosc (104 posts) -

sometimes i just plug in my mic, mute it, then turn the volume all the way down on those guys

#20 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@bonorbitz said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@TaliciaDragonsong

With the right tactic a Krogan can be a very valuable ally when it comes to those big baddies! I mean, I can soak up insane amounts of damage and I can hit 3 bars of a Atlas with my heavy melee! How is that not handy?

Krogans are very valuable allies when it comes to anything, I think. Geez. It sounds like I need to be playing with you and BrockNRolla when I attempt Silver. All the people I play with on that difficulty level try to lone wolf it with zero communication. Stranger danger indeed.

#21 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@bonorbitz said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@TaliciaDragonsong

With the right tactic a Krogan can be a very valuable ally when it comes to those big baddies! I mean, I can soak up insane amounts of damage and I can hit 3 bars of a Atlas with my heavy melee! How is that not handy?

Krogans are very valuable allies when it comes to anything, I think. Geez. It sounds like I need to be playing with you and BrockNRolla when I attempt Silver. All the people I play with on that difficulty level try to lone wolf it with zero communication. Stranger danger indeed.

Ha, stranger danger. It's been a while since I've heard that.

If you want to play some time, I'll toss out my gamer tag. It's "BRocknRolla." Shoot me an invite and I'll join up when I'm around. You seem like decent people.

#22 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@bonorbitz said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@bonorbitz said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@TaliciaDragonsong

I tend to just pick a undefended spot and hang around there.
People usually try to handle one corner on the map and ignore the other entrances or spots.
I've seen so many phantoms (or a squad of several Guardians) come in via a back door or ladder and mop up an entire squad its just silly.

Tend to stick around one spot and keep it clean, and when I see a opening (or cleared out my side to prevent backstabbing) I start to go counter clockwise and flank the NPCs.
Gotta say though, teams fail the most on objectives, there's been a million times where I was the only one heading for the devices or targets, which usually ends up getting me killed because I get swarmed (and they spawn too quick in objective waves to clear a real opportunity to complete a device) and the team was off somewhere trying to kill dudes.

I talk too much, I know, but basically Krogans, yay!
#23 Edited by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@BrockNRolla: Thanks! Mine is CapnRawknshpil. Strange name, but it's from my old podcasting days. I'll be sure to add you. With the bonuses this weekend I'm sure I'll be on, as well as finishing the campaign.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.