Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

I liked the ending

• 112 results
    Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Just kidding the ending is the worse piece of fucking shit ever. It would of been better is Shepard just blew up earth then took a dump on the floor of the normandy, picks up that shit and throws it at the camera then smears FUCK YOU on the lens of the camera then sings TROLOLOLOL, black screen credits.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Bourbon_Warrior: I don't think they'll actually be changing it per se. Most likely they will simply be adding extra scenes during or after the ending to give players a better sense of how their decisions impacted the universe.

EDIT: I also liked the ending and wish they would leave it as-is.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By landon

Ok

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MoseSSesoM

So did I, but seems alot of people didn't....yep.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pinworm45

You liked that Joker fleed in terror at the apex of the most important battle in the history of the Galaxy, along with your crewmates that 20 seconds prior were with you on Earth, who magically Teleported onto the Normandy, also fleeing in terror?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Bourbon_Warrior: Yeah I think it's more that people want to see what happens to all the other characters and races. Like the choices you can make about the Krogan are drastically different, but you never get to actually see the end-result.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By tranquilchaos

I liked it as well. The problem now is that the extremely vocal group of people that are pissed off have kind of ruined my enthusiasm for the series itself by driving their arguments and silly theories into the ground. I just don't really want to hear about mass effect for a least a while now. 

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UlquioKani

Cool

I don't like the ending but I like reading all the theories about the ending so I do like the ending.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

I liked it too, but really, when will we get the real ending? I hope they don't retcon it, but I do hope they plan on expanding it, 'cause if anyone got the ending where Shepard wakes up, wouldn't that be evidence that it never really gave us any closure whatsoever? It just stops.

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By roughneck117

@Bourbon_Warrior: Bioware has said that they arent going to change the ending, they are just going to add stuff that explains shit. The ending is going to stay as it is. http://i.imgur.com/eMYVd.jpg

Its a screenshot of the ME twitter replying to a question about changing the ending.

As for the ending itself, I was disappointed, extremely disappointed, but the ending is what it is. If you liked it more power to you.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pinworm45

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Pinworm45: Shepard was knocked out after he teleported to the Citadel, whos to say how long he was out for.

Uh, logical deductions?

I mean, when you wake up, there's still other soldiers there. The com chatter explains what's going on (I believe hackett says something along the lines of "keep going, and don't stop until you hit the beam or you're dead".) The fact that Anderson gets on shortly after you, his words (despite being ahead of you on the citadel - I won't even ask), and he was charging with you. If you were knocked out for long he'd check to see if you're okay, or something. Or not bother trying to talk to you. So yeah, you weren't knocked out for any longer than 10 seconds.

Even if I accepted the faulty premise that you were knocked for a long period of time, it still makes no sense that your crew mates would LEAVE YOU. The reapers left, the path was wide open, they should have been charging - especially when Hackets order was charge until you're dead. If I accept your premise, then that's even worse - your crew knew the only way to save the galaxy, the last and final thing they could possibly do, is to charge that beam... so they ask joker to pick them up and leave when Shepard is knocked out rather than going forward into the now-clear beam?

It also still doesn't explain why he was fleeing in terror, committing treason, like a coward.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Bourbon_Warrior: Everyone has his/her own opinion about the ending. You can like it, you can dislike. Saying they shouldn't change is also valid but you can't argue it's a good ending.

The obvious objective of the writers with the ending was making the player speculate as to what happens next. To do that, you have to think real hard on what happened at the end and speculate from there. When you do that you quickly realize that there is several major plot holes in the ending cinematic. Characters aren't where they're suppose to be, make stupid out of character decisions. Previously established facts about the universe are ignored(mass relay explosion).

Not to mention the fact that it completely misses the point of the whole series. Mass effect has always been about uniting a bunch of different people together towards a common goal. All these people bringing something different and interesting to the table. Their difference was what made them interesting. In the end, the best/hardest to unlock, choice is about making everyone the same and signing koumbaya together.

Sure the ending is weird and full of religious analogies. That's great. But it doesn't excuse the total lack of coherent narrative or the fact that they completely abandon core mass effect themes

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Pinworm45: Joker has always put the Normandy and her crew first. Even if the two times Shepard was unconscious only lasted moments, the entire sequence from the approach to the Conduit until the activation of the Crucible lasted an easy 20 minutes. Plenty of time for an extraction mission no crazier than most of the stuff that crew has gotten up to.

Then you just have to consider what Joker would know about the Crucible. It's a crazy future technology, no one is sure what it's going to do, supposedly it will stop the Reapers, and maybe Shepard was able to turn it on but maybe he didn't make it. Limited to that knowledge, there is very little Joker can assume about the energy wave that emanates from the Crucible at the end of the game. Maybe it's working as intended. Maybe it's malfunctioning. Maybe it really does stop the Reapers. Maybe it kills all organics. In any case, the battle is won or lost depending on whether or not the Crucible worked so there's no reason for him to stay behind and fight. The only logical reaction, then, is to avoid the energy wave if at-all possible. If it really is a Reaper killer then he has to fly back and feel a little embarrassed. If it's actually an organic killer and he stays behind to see what happens, well, then everyone but EDI dies to satisfy his curiosity.

EDIT: Just saw your second post. Shepard was actually unconscious a second time, when the elevator platform lifted him up to meet the Catalyst. We don't actually know how long the Catalyst was sitting there saying, "Wake up!"

Also when you wake up the first time isn't the com chatter that one Australian guy saying something about how everyone was wiped out? Maybe it changes based on your rating or whatever, I was only around 3500.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By matthias2437

And I hate you..... oh wait no I don't. I just think people like you is why we can't have nice things.

Also I didn't HATE the ending or rage about it, it was alright but not great.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Jothel

I also liked it.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By donchipotle

I accept the ending. I don't have to like it or dislike it. I just accept it.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By easthill

I hated the ending, and this guy explains why so much better than I ever could.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Bourbon_Warrior

With all this hooplah about the ending I was expecting something really bad, 3 weeks of avoiding spoilers so I could judge the ending for myself. What I got was probably on of the greatest ending to a game I can think of. Even though the end of credits clip is totally setting up DLC im totally fine with that. I think this series will define the Xbox 360 in years to come, the voice acting, graphics and cinematography are really top notch. I didnt even like sci fi before this series and was hesitate to give the first game I go, i'm glad I did as this is the most invested I have been with a game franchise. Im hoping for some DLC with Joker and the rest of the crew on that planet they crash landed on. I am angry now that Bioware are considering changing it as it is a really good ending IMO.

The only problem I had was I wish they would fill some gaps in and I think thats what they are planning on doing. They specifically said they will be clarifying the ending not changing it. But I think this game is incredible im already half way into my second playthrough
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Sackmanjones Wow my phone is terrible
    freewilly5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By freewilly5

I didn't.

the_devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By the_devoid

Your entire squad abandons you and flees to an unknown planet, the Mass Relays explode leaving everyone you brought to the battle stranded on destroyed Earth with no resources and the only choice you could make was what color the explosions were... yeah great ending.

Tonyyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tonyyj

Loved the ending as well. I feel as though not knowing exactly what I accomplished by making my decision is part of the appeal to me. When making a big a decision as deciding the fate of the galaxy, it's obvious that things cannot be 100% certain. Leaving it ambiguous left me wondering for days if I had made the right choice in the end. I picked the blue ending because through the game I began siding with the Geth over the Quarians and I did not want to wipe them all out. If the indoctrination theory is correct though, it would mean Shepard failed, the galaxy is doomed and it would still remain my 'canon' ending. Ballsy either way.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pyrodactyl

@easthill said:

I hated the ending, and this guy explains why so much better than I ever could.

fantastic read, thank you sir

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I still don't understand why the destruction of all of the Mass Relays didn't wipe out entire systems given what happened with the Alpha Relay.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PixelPrinny

That's great and all, but why start yet another ME3 ending thread instead of just replying with your opinion in one of the many that already exist? Needed your opinion to be heard that badly?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StarvingGamer

@FluxWaveZ: At the end of Mass Effect 3 you have the Mass Relay technology interfacing directly with the Crucible to achieve a function. In Arrival you have someone beating on the Mass Relay technology with a giant rock. There are plenty of modern examples of technology that does one thing when used properly and something very destructively different when used improperly.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Gaff

I'm Commander Shepard and this wasn't the terrible ending that people made it out to be.

Also, I kind of enjoyed the delicious irony of the theme "The Created vs The Creators": Synthetics vs Organics, Geth vs Quarians, the uplifted Krogans vs Everyone, Ressurected Shepard vs Illusive Man, Mass Effect vs Bioware...

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By babblinmule

I thought the ending was alright, although the hilarious amount of hate being thrown at it just makes me like it more and more by the day.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pyrodactyl

@StarvingGamer: the fact that you can bend the mass effect fiction and the motivation of characters to fill in plot holes by yourself isn't an argument in favor of the ending.

Remember 20 minutes before the end when there were no plot holes? Remember the (presumably) 100+ hours you spent in the mass effect universe? All this time during which you didn't have to hold the plot with your sheer will... I miss these ancient days...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By JasonR86

Cool.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By neoepoch

I just don't see how people can like magical starchild, just coming out of nowhere and pigeon-holing you into 3 choices without the opportunity to argue with it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By eroticfishcake

I liked it. Because in my ending my FemShep and Garrus elope and end up living on the Citadel with all of their adoptive children of every species.

Essentially it's a sitcom about a dysfunctional family. Think The Royal Tenebaums meets The Osbournes.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RedRavN

I like the ending conceptually, but not so much the execution. I like that it was supposed to answer questions while raising more, but there is just too much logical inconsistancy with some of the things.

I would have prefered the original "dark energy" concept for the ending. It is basically the same as what we got but makes more sense with the events in ME1 and 2. It also explains the presence of the human reaper in 2, which with the current ending was never adequately explained.

I will say that if the "indoctrination theory" was made cannon and intended all along I think that would be amazing. The ending could have been a big trick and that would make it one of the most interesting story endings I have ever seen in a game.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Tarsier

i agree with you

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ley_Lines

@PixelPrinny said:

That's great and all, but why start yet another ME3 ending thread instead of just replying with your opinion in one of the many that already exist? Needed your opinion to be heard that badly?

Agreed, this thread seems self indulgent.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SlashDance

@FluxWaveZ said:

I still don't understand why the destruction of all of the Mass Relays didn't wipe out entire systems given what happened with the Alpha Relay.

That didn't bother me at all. Clearly something beyond anyone's understanding is happening when the signal is going from relay to relay, so maybe they're just being deactivated or something, before blowing up.

I mean, Shepard threw an asteroid at the alpha relay right ? That's not quite the same thing in my book.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I wasn't in love with the ending but I really didn't understand the amount hate it was getting from the community.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@SlashDance: Yeah, what StarvingGamer said makes that part of the ending alright, for me. Still, in addition to many other reasons, some of which have been stated in this thread, I very much disliked the ending. I also feel as though it directly contradicts earlier dialogue in the series:

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SonicBoyster

The biggest issues anybody had were the lack of explanations for anything that occurred and the really crappy end-game choices. If they had just shown how everybody got away and where they were off to before the explosions, and spent more time making the case about the organics and synthetics, I'm not sure we would have raised $80,000 to fix the ending. I do believe the game needed to give you different choices at the end, or at least more choices, even if they didn't want to give you a new cutscene to go along with it. I think the 'artistic integrity' argument has to do with pushing the player into one of the three choices at the end and saying "Hey you can't always get what you want, deal with it." Problem is they didn't take enough time to justify anything.

TL;DR-> The ending uses fridge logic, and while it may feel like a solid ending at first, the more time you spend thinking about it the worse it becomes.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SlashDance

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SlashDance: Yeah, what StarvingGamer said makes that part of the ending alright, for me. Still, in addition to many other reasons, some of which have been stated in this thread, I very much disliked the ending. I also feel as though it directly contradicts earlier dialogue in the series:

They did paint themselves in a corner with that scene though. That was impossible to live up to.

Maybe Sovereign was just showing off or something. He has no friends among the reapers, everyone hates him, they always send him first to the Citadel, just to get rid of him. Maybe he's just miserable and lonely. So when he gets to speak to inferior creatures, he's compensating. Like a teacher being overly authoritative towards children, because he's being mistreated by his wife.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WMWA
    @Pinworm45

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Pinworm45: Shepard was knocked out after he teleported to the Citadel, whos to say how long he was out for.

Uh, logical deductions?

I mean, when you wake up, there's still other soldiers there. The com chatter explains what's going on (I believe hackett says something along the lines of "keep going, and don't stop until you hit the beam or you're dead".) The fact that Anderson gets on shortly after you, his words (despite being ahead of you on the citadel - I won't even ask), and he was charging with you. If you were knocked out for long he'd check to see if you're okay, or something. Or not bother trying to talk to you. So yeah, you weren't knocked out for any longer than 10 seconds.

Even if I accepted the faulty premise that you were knocked for a long period of time, it still makes no sense that your crew mates would LEAVE YOU. The reapers left, the path was wide open, they should have been charging - especially when Hackets order was charge until you're dead. If I accept your premise, then that's even worse - your crew knew the only way to save the galaxy, the last and final thing they could possibly do, is to charge that beam... so they ask joker to pick them up and leave when Shepard is knocked out rather than going forward into the now-clear beam?

It also still doesn't explain why he was fleeing in terror, committing treason, like a coward.

Don't be a reductive douche. He liked the ending; it wasn't an invite to debate. Sheesh
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By TheHT

@pyrodactyl said:

@StarvingGamer: the fact that you can bend the mass effect fiction and the motivation of characters to fill in plot holes by yourself isn't an argument in favor of the ending.

Remember 20 minutes before the end when there were no plot holes? Remember the (presumably) 100+ hours you spent in the mass effect universe? All this time during which you didn't have to hold the plot with your sheer will... I miss these ancient days...

There's no bending needed. And discrediting accusations of plot holes has nothing to do with liking the ending or not, unless of course your only reason for not liking the ending are the supposed plot holes. So, it may very well be an argument in favour of the ending.

@SlashDance said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

They did paint themselves in a corner with that scene though. That was impossible to live up to.

Maybe Sovereign was just showing off or something. He has no friends among the reapers, everyone hates him, they always send him first to the Citadel, just to get rid of him. Maybe he's just miserable and lonely. So when he gets to speak to inferior creatures, he's compensating. Like a teacher being overly authoritative towards children, because he's being mistreated by his wife.

I figured it's Sovereign trying to break Shepard down. Making the Reapers out to be this grand everpresent force they couldn't even dream of putting a dent in, so they should just assume fetal position and let the Reapers go to town.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @pyrodactyl It's not me bending the fiction, it's me using common sense. I see all these "plot holes" that people are conjuring and the answers come to me instantly. It's as natural as it would be if a child asked me why jumping off a skyscraper is a bad idea.
    Z3RO180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Z3RO180

@Bourbon_Warrior:i liked the endings too but admittly bio ware did leave a lot of plot holes like why save the geth if u later kill thm but i like to think they dount die. Also i know that the whole indoctronation therory thing is just fans looking into things that arnt there. Could be wrong to.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By Enigma777

@SlashDance said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Your explanation makes as much sense as the indoctrination theory.

I'll take it!

Z3RO180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Z3RO180

@Pinworm45:ok i read you post and i am not trying to start a debate i just want to add my bit to it. Ok anderson followed sheapred in to the citadel but got teleported to a diffenrt location that was closer to the control panel. As for you team mates im going to go with they see you get hit by the beam and asume you are dead but not before they attempt to get to you but are not able to get to you because harbinger is still assutling so are forced to fle so the go to the ship where and tell jocker that earth is lost and then they leave.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#47  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I don't for one second think that the ending is amazing, however, I do honestly think it's fine. I really don't, and will not understand what all the rage has been about.

How often do you get an ending to a game that causes so much discussion? Almost never. Like it or not, it's got the internet talking. And what I love about it, is that it's sort of open to interpretation... hence why we've seen such an influx of ending theories.

Ending a trilogy, be it in any form, is something that will forever cause controversy or anger to a section of its audience. It's impossible to satisfy everybody. The best bet with any trilogy is to play it safe at the end, make sure you keep the majority happy.

Which is why I have respect for Bioware ending it the way they did, because it most certainly didn't satisfy the majority. They took a risk, which in parts worked out, and in others did not. But I've said it before and I'll say it again, they didn't play it safe and go for the cookie cutter "REAPERS ARE DEAD - YOU WIN" ending, they tried to go in a way crazier direction.

Sure, it wasn't perfect. Yeah, it wasn't ideal. But it also wasn't boring. Which, if you ask me, a cookie cutter ending most certainly would've been.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By MEATBALL

I enjoyed the ending, but completely understand why people don't like it - though I still think demanding it be changed is completely ridiculous and that the general furore is a bit out of control, but I suppose that's the Internet for you.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Seesic

I liked the ending too, I thought the game was great and was happy where my decisions put people, except for the whole timed mission stuff. I can see why people are upset, but I agree that it was a good ending.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By MooseyMcMan

If the Indoctrination theory is true, then it's both brilliant and evil. Brilliant because it's crazy, and evil because it means nothing on the Citadel happened at the end, and they were planning to have the real ending be DLC all along (well, not "all along," but fairly far into it).

If the Indoctrination theory isn't true, then the ending is a confusing and plot hole missed mess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.