If I buy a box copy do I have to install Origin??

#1 Posted by rentfn (1278 posts) -

I can't seem to get a straight answer. I don't really want to install Origin but I want to finish the fight...wait thats not right. Does anyone know if I buy a box copy if I can install it and play it without Origin??

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3511 posts) -

You have to install Origin if you play it on PC, doesn't matter where you get it from.

#3 Posted by rentfn (1278 posts) -

sad panda. I bought Dead Rising 2 on steam awhile ago and went to play it last night. I had to have games for windows running in the back ground for it to even start. Such a waste.

#4 Posted by wemibelec90 (1563 posts) -

Origin isn't perfect but it is MUCH less intrusive than Games for Windows Live.

#5 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

It's annoying but it's honestly not that big of a deal. Just one more icon to ignore in the system tray. It's certainly not worth missing out on ME3 over anyway

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14579 posts) -

You don't even have to run Origin after you install the game. Uncheck the "boot on startup" box when you install it. I never run it and yet I can play my copies of Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon age 2 with no problems.

#7 Posted by muktor (61 posts) -

its kinda like steam that you can play in offline mode?

#8 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

DA/DA2/ME2 are pre-origin games. BF3 for example always launches Origin.

#9 Posted by DeadDorf (388 posts) -

Origin is fine. I actually like it better than Steam in some ways, and it's always better to have competition than a single platform.

#10 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2483 posts) -

@DeadDorf said:

Origin is fine. I actually like it better than Steam in some ways, and it's always better to have competition than a single platform.

You know, normally I'd agree with you about healthy competition and everything.

But it's such a hassle to have to juggle multiple platforms, I'd much rather just stick to one, but it's impossible if you want to play everything.

#11 Posted by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

Origin isn't terrible, and in some ways I'm glad it exists. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw ME2 and other games which I had bought elsewhere were collected into one library for download.

#12 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -

@Kidavenger: If I had Mass Effect 1 and 2 out of the box not connected to Origin on PC, will my save carry over?

#13 Posted by Kidavenger (3511 posts) -

@demontium: Yes, you can import a save from any PC version of Mass Effect 2 into Mass Effect 3.

#14 Posted by ike7779 (289 posts) -

I've already played through it once on the PS3 but I'm boycotting it on the PC until it comes to Steam. I know it'll probably never happen and I hate to be a douche about this but I have ME2 (and all my other PC games) on Steam and I really don't want to download another program that does the same thing only with fewer games.

I'll probably cave soon though. I've been itching to replay it and I'd like that to be on the PC.

#15 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

@ike7779 said:

I've already played through it once on the PS3 but I'm boycotting it on the PC until it comes to Steam. I know it'll probably never happen and I hate to be a douche about this but I have ME2 (and all my other PC games) on Steam and I really don't want to download another program that does the same thing only with fewer games.

I'll probably cave soon though. I've been itching to replay it and I'd like that to be on the PC.

It will happen. Crysis 2 came back on STEAM with a GOTY. Just wait for a GOTY.

#16 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@Vigorousjammer said:

@DeadDorf said:

You know, normally I'd agree with you about healthy competition and everything.

But it's such a hassle to have to juggle multiple platforms, I'd much rather just stick to one, but it's impossible if you want to play everything.

Monopoly logic doesn't really apply to entertainment mediums. It would be like suggesting we should still have HD-DVD along with Blu-Ray, because "competition is good."

#17 Posted by TheHBK (5465 posts) -

Coming next year from EA, you have install Origin just to press the power button on your PC. And Origin, coming so to XBLA.

#18 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

Coming next year from EA, you have install Origin just to press the power button on your PC. And Origin, coming so to XBLA.

You joke, but Origin already exists on XBL. Most games require you to enter your Origin ID to use DLC, play multiplayer, get bonuses, anything. EA runs their own servers and randomly shuts them down after about a year to get you to buy new games. Basically if they were aiming at making a "service" that only served up inconvenience, they did a bang-up job.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.