Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

If I buy a box copy do I have to install Origin??

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By rentfn

I can't seem to get a straight answer. I don't really want to install Origin but I want to finish the fight...wait thats not right. Does anyone know if I buy a box copy if I can install it and play it without Origin??

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

You have to install Origin if you play it on PC, doesn't matter where you get it from.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rentfn

sad panda. I bought Dead Rising 2 on steam awhile ago and went to play it last night. I had to have games for windows running in the back ground for it to even start. Such a waste.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Wemibelle

Origin isn't perfect but it is MUCH less intrusive than Games for Windows Live.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Pinworm45

It's annoying but it's honestly not that big of a deal. Just one more icon to ignore in the system tray. It's certainly not worth missing out on ME3 over anyway

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

You don't even have to run Origin after you install the game. Uncheck the "boot on startup" box when you install it. I never run it and yet I can play my copies of Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon age 2 with no problems.

muktor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By muktor

its kinda like steam that you can play in offline mode?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By mosdl

DA/DA2/ME2 are pre-origin games. BF3 for example always launches Origin.

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By DeadDorf

Origin is fine. I actually like it better than Steam in some ways, and it's always better to have competition than a single platform.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#10  Edited By vigorousjammer

@DeadDorf said:

Origin is fine. I actually like it better than Steam in some ways, and it's always better to have competition than a single platform.

You know, normally I'd agree with you about healthy competition and everything.

But it's such a hassle to have to juggle multiple platforms, I'd much rather just stick to one, but it's impossible if you want to play everything.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By GS_Dan

Origin isn't terrible, and in some ways I'm glad it exists. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw ME2 and other games which I had bought elsewhere were collected into one library for download.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By demontium

@Kidavenger: If I had Mass Effect 1 and 2 out of the box not connected to Origin on PC, will my save carry over?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#13  Edited By Kidavenger

@demontium: Yes, you can import a save from any PC version of Mass Effect 2 into Mass Effect 3.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By ike7779

I've already played through it once on the PS3 but I'm boycotting it on the PC until it comes to Steam. I know it'll probably never happen and I hate to be a douche about this but I have ME2 (and all my other PC games) on Steam and I really don't want to download another program that does the same thing only with fewer games.

I'll probably cave soon though. I've been itching to replay it and I'd like that to be on the PC.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Rohok

@ike7779 said:

I've already played through it once on the PS3 but I'm boycotting it on the PC until it comes to Steam. I know it'll probably never happen and I hate to be a douche about this but I have ME2 (and all my other PC games) on Steam and I really don't want to download another program that does the same thing only with fewer games.

I'll probably cave soon though. I've been itching to replay it and I'd like that to be on the PC.

It will happen. Crysis 2 came back on STEAM with a GOTY. Just wait for a GOTY.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By onan

@Vigorousjammer said:

@DeadDorf said:

You know, normally I'd agree with you about healthy competition and everything.

But it's such a hassle to have to juggle multiple platforms, I'd much rather just stick to one, but it's impossible if you want to play everything.

Monopoly logic doesn't really apply to entertainment mediums. It would be like suggesting we should still have HD-DVD along with Blu-Ray, because "competition is good."

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK

Coming next year from EA, you have install Origin just to press the power button on your PC. And Origin, coming so to XBLA.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By onan

@TheHBK said:

Coming next year from EA, you have install Origin just to press the power button on your PC. And Origin, coming so to XBLA.

You joke, but Origin already exists on XBL. Most games require you to enter your Origin ID to use DLC, play multiplayer, get bonuses, anything. EA runs their own servers and randomly shuts them down after about a year to get you to buy new games. Basically if they were aiming at making a "service" that only served up inconvenience, they did a bang-up job.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.