Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

I'm a bit confused about the ending

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AngelN7

Firstly I know that there are probably 900+ threads on this forum about the ending but I need to share what I thought of it (even when the final outcome isn't known until the very end) I didn't think the ending was bad just that it needed a little bit more of closure , also it was a bit confusing to me not because I wasn't expecting The Catalyst to be what it was but because that's exactly what I thought it was going to be, but what happens after you made your decision is what's bugging me.

• What happened to the members that where aboard the Normandy (land in an unknown world staying there forever because the Mass Relays are gone?)
    • What happened to the other crew members
    • What happens to all living races (Asari, Krogan, Salarian, Turian etc)

Because by this point in the series I was accostumed to the way the endings were eligeble (I know this sounds mechanic but I'm talking about Paragon/Renegade/Neutral).

In Mass Effect there's the option to save the concil (Paragon, who cares about the preservation of alien life and keep the peace) attack sovergein (the neutral option, a sacrifice needs to be made but the intention was to solve the problem) and let the concil die (Renegade who cares about humanity first and mostly). In Mass Effect 2 the options where save Collector base (Renegade) or Destroy the base (Paragon) there wasn't a need for a neutral option given the nature of the what keeping or destroying the base meant, but here I felt like the idea of what it means to be the Paragon and the Renegade where wrong? or switched and the Neutral option was the solution for the problem but not quite?.

That's what I don't understand I felt like after the Catalyst introduced itself as this being infinite power that was given the task to control order and chaos, right there the mother of all dialog wheels needed to appear and let me talk to the Catalyst about what's the meaning of sentient life and the difference of organics and synthechis the balance of life in the cosmos but it didn't...

So the Illuse man was right in the sense that reapers can be controled but he couldn't because he was under the influence of the reaper indoctrination? , but if that was true then why would the reapers allow him to get that much close to stop their goals? Anderson then began to represent what humanity wanted but he was kinda inductrinated too? , at that point everything began to remind me the end of SMT: Nocturne and its reasons but everything backwards, Jack's option was lighted blue as if he's "reason" was the Paragon meaning that all synthectic life would be spared but that wouldn't end the cycle even with Shepard's will imposing over the previous one the reapers had, Anderson's red as his was the renegade one his reason meant all syntetic life would banish from the universe does ending the cycle at least for a while (I went with that one and regret it sience I was a firm beliver that synthetics where also living beings just as organics who deserved to continue their evolution so much so that I was very supportive of EDI and even choose to help the Geth not knowing that it will come at the cost of the Quarians). The third option remain the Neutral, the option to solve the paradigm meant to make organic life part syntetic (I didn't like that one it felt like organics would lose a very important part of the way the choose to live and what time means in the universe).

So yeah I think everything was too quick and there wasn't enough closure everything went really fast from "we know what we need to do let's save earth and everybody else to here's the most powerfull entity in the universe you need to decide the fate of life! crazy megatensei stuff! " wich as I said I was kinda expecting that but with me going in deep as to what those choices really meant , I didn't feel like it didn't take my previous choices into account I knew that this would be so much bigger than Genophage or Rachini Queen decisions I guess I'm just kinda dissapointed because the ending could've being great I can see where they were trying to go with that but they didn't elaborate all that much with the concept of artificial life and what does that mean , sure the many interactions with EDI and what you learn in the Geth concensus was that, but not enough I think to make it the actual final choice of the game.

So did I miss something did I just missunderstood what happened when you meet the Catalyst or did I just took what he said in the wrong way? and as far as what happens after the credits that's totally fine again something I kinda saw that coming since Mass Effect began growing with the novels and comics, Shepard would become a legend a tale in the far future so when a new Mass Effect game comes arround people can talk about "The Shepard" without going into specific of how did he look or if he mas a man or woman, Shepard needed to die that stuff with him being posibly alive at the end regardless of what path you choose that I kinda didn't like , he's/she's just a human that "saved the galaxy and the many things he did in order to do that (cure Genophage support the Geths and so on) in his travels that's a totally valid way to treat the trilogy in the future I don't know why that would ruin the franchise for someone , I guess the Extended cut content will address my concerns but it should've being in the original context of the story.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JasonR86

@AngelN7:

Most of what you're confused about should be addressed in the upcoming DLC.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

@AngelN7 said:

Firstly I know that there are probably 900+ threads on this forum about the ending but I need to share what I thought of it

You can share what you thought of it in the other threads.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By benspyda

I thought Mass Effect Endings talk had ended. I was wrong.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AngelN7

Well as I said I just finished the game recently of course I should've imagined by now people are sick about more ending talk , but I'm not here to complain about the ending I didn't think it was bad I just wanted some clarification.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By JonSmith

We're all confused.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@AngelN7: There is no clarity until they release DLC. No one knows why your crew, two of whom may have just prior taken a laser to the face, suddenly end up back on the Normandy and speeding away from the battle. No one knows what happens to the rest of the races, either, but considering that they're down to typical FTL drives, it probably involves an awful lot of starvation while they race for habitable worlds in the area. There were originally dialogue wheels to talk to Space Ghost, but they were removed because they didn't want to give out all the answers and felt they were unnecessary.

The ending so so jumbled that most people have started believing a theory that the whole thing post laser-to-the-face might be a prolonged dream sequence induced by either mind control or death, with no actual ending having been shown and to be later added in DLC. The real answer is that there isn't enough there to decide one way or the other until they do release some form of additional DLC, but at the rate it's been going I imagine that even if the Indoctrination theory is a load of bull Bioware will hastily throw together some things to confirm it in order to save face.

In short, if you want to know how ME3 ends, do what the game recommends with its last breath and get DLC. Or make up your own theory, that's all the rage lately.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By FLStyle

@AngelN7 said:

Firstly I know that there are probably 900+ threads on this forum about the ending but I need to share what I thought of it

No you didn't. You should've posted it in one of the existing threads rather than repeating what other people have already said here.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AngelN7

@FLStyle said:

@AngelN7 said:

No you didn't. You should've posted it in one of the existing threads rather than repeating what other people have already said here.

I said that I know such threads exist and I wanted to give my own perspective in the matter if you don't want to discuss then don't do it.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AngelN7

@Make_Me_Mad: Well from what I've read of that theory it does seem to be what I thought it happened since a lot of things didn't make much sense after the "run to the conduit scene" I don't necesarelly need to belive in the IT but the argument is there and is not all that farfetched but I guess I should wait for the upcoming DLC to get that clarification, still I don't think the ending was bad as people make it out to be, I was expecting the "bad part" to be something else but everything kinda turn out to be what I was expecting for the end of the series.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By napalm

@AngelN7 said:

• What happened to the members that where aboard the Normandy (land in an unknown world staying there forever because the Mass Relays are gone?)
    • What happened to the other crew members
    • What happens to all living races (Asari, Krogan, Salarian, Turian etc)

Right now, there isn't a whole lot of concrete evidence about the particulars of the ending, but speculatively speaking, here's what we think happened:

What happened to the squadmates aboard the Normandy? Well, the assumption is since they were all gathered in the London headquarters, they were helping nearby with the repelling attack. Think of it like the suicide mission in Mass Effect 2: just because they weren't picked to fight doesn't mean they were just hanging aboard the Normandy. How did they get to the Normandy? The assumption is they ran back the Normandy, and Joker was able to outrun the initial blast on earth.

What happened to the other crew? I don't know, circlejerking in the bathroom? Who are you even referring to? They were aboard the Normandy doing their Normandy shit, I assume.

What happened to the other races? Well since the relays explode in every ending, (I think), everybody in the galaxy is stuck, since just standard FTL drive traveling takes several years. Consequently, since almost every race leader was on earth, the assumption is they are stuck there.

EDIT: And yeah, as others have said, no you didn't need to create a new thread. You are not a unique snowflake and neither is your opinion.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By FLStyle

@AngelN7 said:

@FLStyle said:

@AngelN7 said:

I said that I know such threads exist and I wanted to give my own perspective in the matter if you don't want to discuss then don't do it.

Implying that your own perspective isn't repeating other peoples' perspectives when it's exactly that? That your repetition of them is so important that it deserves more than being a post in their thread when it doesn't?

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AngelN7

@FLStyle: @Napalm: Fine I'll ask a mod to close the thread you don't need to jump on me like that as I said I just finished the game I wanted to share my thoughts and get some clarification but apparently I can't do that because everyone already did it, did I knew that my perpective was the same as theirs? no, I think I've the right to make a thread about my own views and ask people who finished the game to give some insight (because this is what you do on a forum) just as you are free to ignore it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Shutting this down at the request of Angel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.