I'm buying Mass Effect 3 today and I got some questions.

#1 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

Hey all, so I'm buying Mass Effect 3 today. I'm buying it digital download wherever I can get it which I assume is only on origin. Now I'm wondering which version should I buy, the digital deluxe version or the normal version. I don't care about any of the stuff in the deluxe version really, I just want that prothean companion. Will he come in the deluxe version or will I have to buy him separately dlc regardless?

#2 Edited by Snail (8469 posts) -

Just buy the regular one and then pirate the Prothean character DLC since half of it is already "on the disc" anyway.

#3 Posted by Tylea002 (2291 posts) -

He IS in the deluxe version, so if that's cheaper than getting the two items separately, go for it.

#4 Edited by jjnen (659 posts) -

X = Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Edition

Y = Mass Effect 3 Digital Edition + DLC

If X ≤ Y then buy X.

If X > Y then buy Y.

#5 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

You can get ME3 from other download places (not Steam).  Digital Deluxe version includes the From Ashes DLC according to this.

#6 Posted by morrelloman (601 posts) -

Late to the party. If you waited this long why not just wait until the real ending DLC or whatever they want to call it comes out.

#7 Posted by myketuna (1631 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the Prothean stuff is in the deluxe version. If so, buy that. The Prothean is a pretty good character.

#8 Posted by AndrewB (7190 posts) -

@Rappelsiini said:

If X ≥ Y then buy X.

If X < Y then buy Y.

Why would you want to spend *more* money?

#9 Posted by jjnen (659 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Rappelsiini said:

If X ≤ Y then buy X.

If X > Y then buy Y.

Why would you want to spend *more* money?

I'm fucking tired, that's why. Thanks for noticing though, fixed that.

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

Don't buy the Prothean. He's not worth 10 bucks and he's not nearly as important as Patrick wants to feel he is. I don't know if he actually likes it or he just wants to feel its important to have license to be made at BioWare. Garrus and Liara are all you need anyway. Maybe Tali or Kaidan to mix it up.

#11 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Digital Deluxe. The DLC has some of the best parts of the game and shouldn't be missed out on.

#12 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

Thanks for the info, Digital Deluxe it is.

#13 Posted by onan (1277 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Don't buy the Prothean. He's not worth 10 bucks and he's not nearly as important as Patrick wants to feel he is. I don't know if he actually likes it or he just wants to feel its important to have license to be made at BioWare. Garrus and Liara are all you need anyway. Maybe Tali or Kaidan to mix it up.

You're smoking something.

If you've played all the Mass Effects to date, and have a genuine interest in the universe, get From Ashes. It's a decent little level, but the real value is having it for your first playthough. Having other people in your party is well and good, and they make their cute little remarks about stuff, but even the Prothean's random squad comments actually shed backstory on the universe, to say nothing of the unique events when characters across the galaxy get to meet a real, live Prothean. He's also a massive dick to everyone and it is HILARIOUS to watch. I almost never took him out of my party.

That aside, in my opinion he's the best squadmate for combat in the game. His lift grenades are godlike (they don't function at all like they do in multi, they're basically extra-large biotic explosions), and his Dark Channel is one of those fire-and-forget status effects that just drains the life out of enemies until it runs out, and if that enemies dies, it just migrates to other enemies.

He also comes with a sweet recharging energy rifle that doesn't use ammo, so if you intend to play Insanity or anything like that, I'm hearing it's pretty key.

If you're going to get it, get it when you buy the game. He increased my overall enjoyment of the game by an extremely non-trivial amount. If there are any two DLCs worth getting for the franchise (and I've gotten them all except the costume packs), it's From Ashes, and then Lair of the Shadow Broker, and from a lore perspective you don't NEED Lair, it's just a fun bunch of missions and time spent with a character you missed.

#14 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -
@onan

@Brodehouse said:

You're smoking something.

If you've played all the Mass Effects to date, and have a genuine interest in the universe, get From Ashes. It's a decent little level, but the real value is having it for your first playthough. Having other people in your party is well and good, and they make their cute little remarks about stuff, but even the Prothean's random squad comments actually shed backstory on the universe, to say nothing of the unique events when characters across the galaxy get to meet a real, live Prothean. He's also a massive dick to everyone and it is HILARIOUS to watch. I almost never took him out of my party.

That aside, in my opinion he's the best squadmate for combat in the game. His lift grenades are godlike (they don't function at all like they do in multi, they're basically extra-large biotic explosions), and his Dark Channel is one of those fire-and-forget status effects that just drains the life out of enemies until it runs out, and if that enemies dies, it just migrates to other enemies.

He also comes with a sweet recharging energy rifle that doesn't use ammo, so if you intend to play Insanity or anything like that, I'm hearing it's pretty key.

If you're going to get it, get it when you buy the game. He increased my overall enjoyment of the game by an extremely non-trivial amount. If there are any two DLCs worth getting for the franchise (and I've gotten them all except the costume packs), it's From Ashes, and then Lair of the Shadow Broker, and from a lore perspective you don't NEED Lair, it's just a fun bunch of missions and time spent with a character you missed.

This dude is right. Get the dlc. It's a good mission an he's a great character
#15 Posted by Mnemoidian (944 posts) -

While I didn't use the character very often in my first playthrough, I enjoyed hearing all he had to say between missions (and wished I could bring him).

Reason I didn't bring him along every time? I liked having Garrus and Liara with me. Like old times.

Either way, if you care about the universe, get From Ashes. (I realize this is late, as you've already made the plunge - but others may care).

#16 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

@Mnemoidian: I haven't actually, origin keeps saying Payment Authorization Failed. I am gonna get it, I really really love this series, infact I bought Kasumi, Overlord and Arrivial yesterday. And yeah, I am invested in the mass effect universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.