I'm concerned about continues romances in Mass Effect 3.

#1 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

EDIT: continued* romances. 

So, I romanced Jack. 

I like Jack. Jack's pretty great. I have this concern that your oddball choice of a love interest may not be given the proper gravity when it comes to the story. I  fear that since I romanced Jack, (or another odd choice for other people who didn't go for the standard, or expected choices), all there will be is a throwaway scene towards the beginning or middle of the game involving your love interest, and then you never hear/see from them again, (except maybe at the end).

I don't want this. At all. Is anybody else still a bit concerned with what they are going to do with the off-characters from Mass Effect 2 that you romanced?

#2 Posted by alternate (2679 posts) -

They are always going to be incidental to the plot - since they are optional. They are pretty dumb IMO and I ignored them.

#3 Posted by Murtaug (308 posts) -

I do not really care about the romance options, if they can deliver a proper sequel to Mass Effect 2, and not screw it up as they did with Dragon Age 2, that is all I ask.

#4 Posted by Encephalon (1238 posts) -

Yes, that's a pretty valid concern. I'm with Liara, so I doubt that'll be a problem for me, but I can definitely foresee certain romances getting short-changed, comparatively. Then again, I've never been one to invest very heavily into Bioware's romantic subplots, so my ability to empathize is limited.

#5 Posted by drowsap (679 posts) -

I went with Liara and they shoe horned her romance in to mass effect 2 with a DLC so im sure they will continue that romance in three so im good lol

#6 Edited by leebmx (2198 posts) -

It seems there are numerous concerns over ME3 and whether it will be any good or not. Having said that I think your best bet is to do what I am doing and not read anything about it until it comes out and judge it then. After all its only 2 months or so away and I doubt they are going to change anything now.

On a wider note if Bioware do reduce the depth of the experience I really think they are making mistake if they think that this is going to lead to greater sales. I'm guessing the last 2 sold pretty well so they can profit with the same formula and I think they are mistaken in believing that lots of new players will jump on the the 3rd episode of a heavily story/choice based franchise. Keep doing what works Bioware, save the new ideas for a new IP.

More on the point of the OP I think it is likely your romances will not get a great deal of attention but I can't see what else they would do. They are not really the driving point of the story. If you went for Liara (as I did) in the first game you got pretty much nothing until the DLC - I expect it to be the same this time and I don't mind.

#7 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@leebmx: I'm not expecting the romances to eat up the main story. I wouldn't want them to. I just hope they make them more integral to Shepard's story than just a throwaway scene with some sex. Maybe you find out Jack, or whoever, has united a large group of individuals who might be beneficial to your cause, or they do something to help in some fashion and not just be generic conversation content.
#8 Edited by leebmx (2198 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@leebmx: I'm not expecting the romances to eat up the main story. I wouldn't want them to. I just hope they make them more integral to Shepard's story than just a throwaway scene with some sex. Maybe you find out Jack, or whoever, has united a large group of individuals who might be beneficial to your cause, or they do something to help in some fashion and not just be generic conversation content.

Yeah I know what you mean. I just think with the amount of time they have to devote to everything you are unlikey to be satisfied, especially now they are adding the mulitplayer everyone has been crying out for.

In a way it would make the romances feel loads less cheesy and throwaway if they formed a much greater part of the main story, rather than just being such an obvious tac-on with no consequences in the rest of the world. If say rejecting one person could have serious implications for one plot line. Or in ME2 if after you shagged Jack, instead of her just being a bit moody that set off some other chain of events which you had to deal with. I would much prefer this but I think a lot of people think the romances are a bit silly and would be disappointed were they to be given more time and depth, however it might be because they are not given much time and depth currently that people have this view.

#9 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

I romanced Ashley in the first game and that didn't carry over into the second whatsoever, so I don't expect any romance in the 2nd to carry over into the third, and if you're really concerned about something like this, I'd say you need to worry way less about ME3 and focus on going out and getting a real woman interested in you.

#10 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@leebmx: The reason I bring this up isn't because of the nature romances as they've been in the series previously, but because Mass Effect 2 has characters which potentially wouldn't be returning for any serious reason, so I fear Mass Effect 2 romances might end up in this pile of, "throw it in there if you have time but if you can't, it's no big deal, because really, the player might not even save this person, and we have a paragraph of dialogue to record that the players might not see." Since they obviously can't plot out massive plotlines for romances in Mass Effect 3 with all of the characters from Mass Effect 2, I just hope they decided to at least go that extra mile and have those relationships be dead weight content. 

This has always been my fear with the Mass Effect 2 characters, though, since there all could potentially die, they can't write plotlines that are tied to them specifically, because what do you do if they're all dead? Just cut that from the game in some instances, or have a generic character play that out? 

@phish09 said:

I'd say you need to worry way less about ME3 and focus on going out and getting a real woman interested in you.

Keep it classy, internet.
#11 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

I fucked romanced everyone possible on my ME2 playthru...just to be safe.

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10375 posts) -

Well, this is what you get for romancing the worst character in the game.

#13 Posted by Brendan (7667 posts) -

That stuff's always going to be pretty underwhelming for you if you're expecting much. As others have said, it's just incidental to the plot.

Maybe I'm just saying that because I went with Miranda after being with Liara in the first game, and I TOTALLY didn't think I would ever see her again, man. It's not my fault, ok!?

#14 Posted by Alphazero (1533 posts) -
@Brendan said: 

Maybe I'm just saying that because I went with Miranda after being with Liara in the first game, and I TOTALLY didn't think I would ever see her again, man. It's not my fault, ok!?

You did what to MY Miranda? You son of a bitch. 
#15 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
I expect nothing more than a cheesy sex scene before the final battle or something like that.

@MooseyMcMan said:

Well, this is what you get for romancing the worst character in the game.

She's bald. Bald girls are sexy, i guess.
#16 Posted by Brendan (7667 posts) -

@Alphazero said:

@Brendan said:

Dat ass, man. Dat ass.

#17 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

I'm concerned about Mass Effect 3.

#18 Posted by AndrewB (7445 posts) -

I just want to see how much reach Garrus has.

#19 Posted by leebmx (2198 posts) -

@Napalm said:

This has always been my fear with the Mass Effect 2 characters, though, since there all could potentially die, they can't write plotlines that are tied to them specifically, because what do you do if they're all dead? Just cut that from the game in some instances, or have a generic character play that out?

That's a damn good point. I didn't think of that. My guess is that they leave it alone and offer new characters and maybe Ashley and Liara for old time's sake. God the more I think about this game the more I fear being really let down.

#20 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

I romanced Ashley the first run, then in ME2 she wasnt even a party member. so they will probably handel it like that.

#21 Posted by Prince_VLAD (19 posts) -

"I think a lot of people think the romances are a bit silly and would be disappointed were they to be given more time and depth, however it might be because they are not given much time and depth currently that people have this view."

By all means ! That is the hurting truth. I wish Bioware would've listen the really wise things...

#22 Posted by CashBailey (794 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@Alphazero said:

@Brendan said:

Dat ass, man. Dat ass.

True, true... Its hard to deny an azz like dat.

I went with Tali, because she's adorably awkward and has a cute accent. I hope we get to see her face in the next game

#23 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

@Napalm: Jack is the one

#24 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Napalm:

I love Jack too. She was the most hot and interesting of the ladies. I just wish she went lesbian too for my femshep palythrough.

#25 Posted by nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor (143 posts) -

I didn't romance anyone in my definitive saves in ME1 or 2 so if I do end up sleeping with someone(s) they should know it's only because the galaxy is about to end and fuck it right, this is the last Shepard ME game anyways.

I think it's probably going to end up being an on the ship conversation as there are too many variables to consider for Bioware to make integral to a main mission. Not to mention is everyone coming back for ME3 and how substantial are their roles in the game going to be if they do. On that note, I feel like I'm going to miss out on certain aspects because I didn't sleep with anyone but than again I might be better for it. Who knows, I'm going into the game with zero expectations and I'm prepared to be disappointed so surprise me Bioware.

#26 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

Wait. You WANT commitment???? :o

#27 Posted by VisceralWhimsy (55 posts) -

My FemShep was with Kaiden in the first game, then Thane in the second (so my character was a masochist). I was tempted early last year to start the second one over and keep her faithful for the 3rd installment but I don't know if I even care that much anymore about it, tbh. I'd like to think there could be something vital to it, but I'm sure it'll end up like this:

@MikeGosot said:

I expect nothing more than a cheesy sex scene before the final battle or something like that.

which bums me out.

#28 Posted by FLStyle (4536 posts) -

I'm with Tali so I assume at some point I'll be (trying to) recruit the Quarians, so she'll feature into that a lot?

I play Default MaleShep, Garrus and Tali in any case so it's not so much of an issue for me as I'll be seeing plenty of her.

#29 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

I romanced Ashley and remained faithful because Ashley was the only interesting romance option in the games. Now that she is back, Shepard can get his fuck on at last.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.