Is EA scamming DLC? (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

• 136 results
#1 Edited by Atary77 (502 posts) -

*SPOILER ALERT*

There's been some rumors flying around about a piece of DLC which contains a Prothean character. I'm very certain you folks know what a Prothean is and why it is such a very big deal in the Mass Effect series. From what has been reported from various gaming sites is that the DLC was put up on XBOX live by mistake and then promptly pulled down. There are also a few folks out there posting artwork and supposed voice clips that were said to have been found in files of the PC game demo.

Whether or not these are real or fake is unknown, but one thing that has aroused the ire of some folks to the point of cancelling their pre-orders is the supposed story that the Prothean Character is part of a DLC that you can only get if A) you get the N7 collector's edition or B) you buy the DLC for 10 bucks which would be made available from day one.

Now some have said that to leave out a character which would possibly be crucial to the story in DLC seems rather unfair given the fact you have to pay for them or buy the collector's edition when you're already paying sixty bucks if not more for the game by itself.

Is this a case of EA trying to squeeze more dough out of unsuspecting players by taking advantage of them? Or is it no big deal and this could all be sensationalist garbage?

Me personally if it is in fact some piece of content that keeps us from seeing what could very well be crucial to the story and then forcing players to pay more money on top of the full price that we're already paying for the game itself does certainly sound unjust, unfair, and down right bad business.

HOWEVER if this is all just a big hoax by a bunch of folks simply hating on the game or EA then no biggie.

By the way folks, please keep things civil and don't turn this into a flame war. I want FACTS, not BS.

Your thoughts people?

#2 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3108 posts) -

I sincerely doubt that all the concept art and such that's been seen is a hoax. That particular character is almost assuredly real, but I wasn't aware it was DLC. Even so, this kind of thing is expected- they had DLC squad members in the second game. If you're going to be a Mass Effect fan, you have to get used to paying for DLC if you want the whole story. That's just how it is.

#3 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

I was wondering what the mass outrage surrounding this game would be and I have to fancy this will be it.

No PC gamepad support looked strong but it never really gained much momentum, Ashley's makeover was slight controversial but let's face it she was a bit of a dog in the first game and everyone secretly wanted her to be a sexy space slut/racist and poor old James Vega...well people don't like him one bit but complaining about a character is a bit too bland. DLC is where it's at these days!

#4 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

So what's the big deal?  they did it for Zaeed Massani in ME2.

#5 Posted by BRich (437 posts) -

It is not a hoax, it was on xbox live yesterday and will be day 1 dlc. I think its good that they let people buy content that would otherwise be locked away in the widely sold out collector's edition.

The prothean will be about as crucial to the story as Zaeed or Kasumi, meaning not at all.

#6 Edited by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

Here's my stance on Bioware DLC: none of it. Has ever. Been worth it. That's after sinking probably $20 into Dragon Age DLC. All you have to do is make yourself realize that none of it has ever been so interesting as to make it necessary, which is both a bad thing (you don't get more awesome out of a game you might already enjoy), and a good thing (you don't need to fork over a dime more and can get all you need to out of the retail product, which is the way it should be).

I realize this is something else. As you mentioned, this is a Prothean character. But think of two things. What did they really do with Legion, their Geth character in Mass Effect 2? More directly, what good was Zaeed other than one interesting tidbit conversation during the Archangel quest and the fact that he had a good combination of weapons and powers? He added next to nothing to the game, and could be skipped.

@Make_Me_Mad said:

If you're going to be a Mass Effect fan, you have to get used to paying for DLC if you want the whole story. That's just how it is.

And books. And comics. And the toilet stall of the local Dunkin Donuts.

Personally, I just read a wiki. And the stall.

#7 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad: Iknow previously they had Zaeed as the Day 1 DLC for ME2, however he was free simply if you bought a new copy of the game as you got the whole Cerberus network which would also give you other DLC packs like weapons and armor for free simply if you bought the game new. Course there were the later DLC packs that had Liara etc.

#8 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

This is not about EA. It was announced with the Collectors Edition there would be a character DLC for those who get the collectors edition. (Then pulled by retailers on what the character was)

This character was always meant to be in the collectors edition.

#9 Edited by Village_Guy (2636 posts) -

Just remember that you get the Prothean team-member for free if you buy the Collectors Edition - which is funny seeing as the Protheans were mutated into the Collectors by the Reapers...

#10 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5308 posts) -

I'm getting the collectors edition so it probably doesn't matter to me but I doubt that he is truly story critical because none of BioWare's day one DLCs have ever been story critical. Zaead made absolutely no impact in ME2 and he was the founder of one of the enemy factions fought in the early game.

The Prothean character might go like this:

Prothean: You found me?

Shepard: A Prothean?

Prothean: I need you to go to Illos.

Shepard: Ok.

They go to Illos and do a mission.

Prothean: Thank you for going to Illos.

Prothean character never acknowledged again just like Zaead and Kasumi (although Kasumi's DLC was fun and Kasumi was cool).

#11 Posted by DefaultProphet (540 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I'm getting the collectors edition so it probably doesn't matter to me but I doubt that he is truly story critical because none of BioWare's day one DLCs have ever been story critical. Zaead made absolutely no impact in ME2 and he was the founder of one of the enemy factions fought in the early game.

Prothean character never acknowledged again just like Zaead and Kasumi (although Kasumi's DLC was fun and Kasumi was cool).

That could happen but I really badly want the Turian Councilor to do his patented " Ah yes a "Prothean" " finger quotes so I can punch him in his stupid face

#12 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

Just remember that you get the Prothean team-member for free if you buy the Collectors Edition - which is funny seeing as the Protheans were mutated into the Collectors by the Reapers...

I can see him meeting a tragic fate when it comes time for: ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

#13 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5308 posts) -

@DefaultProphet said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

That could happen but I really badly want the Turian Councilor to do his patented " Ah yes a "Prothean" " finger quotes so I can punch him in his stupid face

So Earth is being attacked by "Reapers" where is your proof?

#14 Edited by Akrid (1356 posts) -

I'm sure he's pretty non-essential. The real problem is taking the content out of the game to sell, which they might have done, but I'll play devil's advocate and say that they may very well have added this character after the game was content-locked. In the end, everyone is freaking out over something that there is no proof to yet.

Plus, there's always the argument that they wouldn't have made the content in the first place if they couldn't make a little extra skrill off it.

#15 Posted by jakonovski (209 posts) -

If a live Prothean is not an important plot point, what hope is there for ME3's story?

#16 Posted by kindgineer (2768 posts) -
#17 Posted by jakonovski (209 posts) -

Internet boycotts never work, but I do wonder if this game will receive a DA2 style backlash. Because it does seem more and more that Bioware has sacrificed their flagship product on the altar of monetization. The end result is worse and the price higher.

#18 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3108 posts) -
#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'm going to wait until the game is actually out before I say whether or not it's bad. Just because it's a Prothean doesn't mean it's an essential plot point like TotalBiscuit goes on about. We may learn about the Protheans through the actual story, and the character might just be a non-essential character that connects with the main story. If it actually has essential information, then yes. It's a problem. But at least wait and see what the content actually is first.

#20 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

That character had a much larger, crucial role in the first draft of the script, according to the leak. In the newer one, his role is trimmed a lot - you can learn some interesting stuff from him, but it's mostly flavor.

#21 Posted by Cronus42 (276 posts) -

people over reacting on the internet again... Well advertised that the collectors edition would have a special character and missions. Fairly obvious they would sell all of the digital stuff in the CE through DLC either later on or on launch day. Only thing new here is the character is a prothean. Which I would call a good thing.

#22 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I'm going to wait until the game is actually out before I say whether or not it's bad. Just because it's a Prothean doesn't mean it's an essential plot point like TotalBiscuit goes on about. We may learn about the Protheans through the actual story, and the character might just be a non-essential character that connects with the main story. If it actually has essential information, then yes. It's a problem. But at least wait and see what the content actually is first.

My thoughts exactly, I've seen the TotalBiscuit video myself and I wondered if maybe the dude is getting himself worked up over something that may not even be that big of a deal in the first place.

#23 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

I AM GOING TO BONE THAT PROTHEAN.

People keep comparing this to zaeed but zaeed was free and only put in to stop used sales. This character is a prothean which is KIND OF A BIG DEAL in the mass effect story. SERIOUSLY. I preordered my CE before this was announced but feel like kind of an asshole now because I am indirectly supporting this shit.

#24 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

Here's my stance on Bioware DLC: none of it. Has ever. Been worth it. That's after sinking probably $20 into Dragon Age DLC. All you have to do is make yourself realize that none of it has ever been so interesting as to make it necessary, which is both a bad thing (you don't get more awesome out of a game you might already enjoy), and a good thing (you don't need to fork over a dime more and can get all you need to out of the retail product, which is the way it should be).

Dragone Age: Origins Awakening was awesome DLC, but that was really more of an expansion than piecemeal dlc.

#25 Posted by FreakAche (2954 posts) -

I'm not quite sure why people are just throwing hissy fits now, considering the fact that we've known about this for months.

#26 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

@mosdl: I count that as an expansion pack, as did Bioware.

The possible exception would be the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC. That was legitimately pretty great.

#27 Posted by Cronus42 (276 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

I'm not quite sure why people are just throwing hissy fits now, considering the fact that we've known about this for months.

Basically this. Also this probably wont be super important story stuff. And even if it is, people calling this out as crazy and wrong need to think back a bit to the Shadow Broker DLC. Based on the fact that Liara is in ME3, I would definitely call the events of that major story content. But that was really good content and alot of people got it so no one will complain about that. Oh internet...

#28 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

Seriously.

#29 Posted by HatKing (6025 posts) -

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

I was wondering what the mass outrage surrounding this game would be and I have to fancy this will be it.

No PC gamepad support looked strong but it never really gained much momentum, Ashley's makeover was slight controversial but let's face it she was a bit of a dog in the first game and everyone secretly wanted her to be a sexy space slut/racist and poor old James Vega...well people don't like him one bit but complaining about a character is a bit too bland. DLC is where it's at these days!

You missed one! EA is trying to turn Mass Effect 3 to Call of Duty! You know, because three minute trailers give a totally accurate representation of what the entire gaming experience of a fifty hour game will be, and they aren't at all made to be flashy and attention grabbing.

This is all ridiculous. People seem to be looking for excuses at this point. If the DLC character is anything like the DLC characters from ME2, nobody will be missing much. If you really care about *extras*, you should have ordered the CE when they announced it months ago. Either way, can we all just hold our fucking judgment until we play the game?

#30 Posted by Gaff (1814 posts) -

@Atary77 said:

I want FACTS, not BS.

This. I'll wait until the official announcement.

#31 Posted by jakonovski (209 posts) -

Eh, I for one had not known about it. Also if it's really true that Bioware took a hatchet to the main plot in order to sell a meaningless Prothean DLC, I'm not sure ME3 is for me anymore. I fear the game is going to go all Matrix 3 on me.

#32 Posted by shootfast (16 posts) -

Calling out TB on not boycotting Deus Ex with their Tong DLC which was retailer preorder pacific, which you could not even get afterwards. A bit hypocritical.

Also this boycott will fail so hard, as hard as the MW2 boycott.

#33 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5308 posts) -

@HatKing said:

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

You missed one! EA is trying to turn Mass Effect 3 to Call of Duty! You know, because three minute trailers give a totally accurate representation of what the entire gaming experience of a fifty hour game will be, and they aren't at all made to be flashy and attention grabbing.

This is all ridiculous. People seem to be looking for excuses at this point. If the DLC character is anything like the DLC characters from ME2, nobody will be missing much. If you really care about *extras*, you should have ordered the CE when they announced it months ago. Either way, can we all just hold our fucking judgment until we play the game?

Ever since DA2 everyone has been attacking BioWare. From the Arrival DLC to Jennifer Hepler to ME3's trailers

#34 Posted by jakonovski (209 posts) -
#35 Posted by LiquidSword (73 posts) -

The only way I can see this character not being very important to the story is if you meet other surviving Protheans in the game. Then it's not that big a deal. The Protheans are there, but get the collectors edition or pay 10 bucks and you can have one in your personal party. I can deal with that. However, if there are no other Protheans in the game then this character has huge significance in the story. I'm predicting the latter to be true considering it's going to be 10 bucks. If this is the case then this is a really shitty thing for them to do and is disconcerting to me concerning the future of video games.

#36 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@LiquidSword said:

The only way I can see this character not being very important to the story is if you meet other surviving Protheans in the game. Then it's not that big a deal. The Protheans are there, but get the collectors edition or pay 10 bucks and you can have one in your personal party. I can deal with that. However, if there are no other Protheans in the game then this character has huge significance in the story. I'm predicting the latter to be true considering it's going to be 10 bucks. If this is the case then this is a really shitty thing for them to do and is disconcerting to me concerning the future of video games.

The leaked spoilers confirm he has no significance at all, even less significance than Legion had and Legion was basically a character just added to the end of the game, and given 1 mission with a bit of backstory to the geth. The Prothean is basically just a codex entry with a mission that tells us nothing significant.

#37 Edited by Jaytow (703 posts) -

Aaaaand somebody else already posted it.

#38 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Dragon Age and Mass Effect games are in my "top 5" favourite games ever but I haven't played any of the payed DLC. The only thing I'll buy is "shadow broker".

Ignorance is bliss.

#39 Posted by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

They did something similar with Sebastian in Dragon Age 2, you got him if you ordered the collector's edition and if not he was either 7 or 10 bucks.

Here's your choices;

1) Character would be cut, but extra time/money is spent to release it as a collector's edition bonus/pre-order incentive/DLC purchase.

2) Character gets cut and is never finished or released. Maybe the design is saved for a sequel.

3) Nothing ever gets cut, game is constantly delayed and comes out 5 years later.

Cuts happen. In every industry. At least this way if you really like the thing in question you can get a hold of it. Songs get cut off albums and wind up on B-sides or on Japanese releases. Entire scenes get cut out of movies and can only be found on the bluRay. Pokemon Red and Blue were originally supposed to have 190 Pokemon. Maybe that guy should travel through time and try to start a boycott.

#40 Edited by Jaytow (703 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I disagree. I don't think that this one character would delay mass effect by 5 months. I'm sure that Bioware would be well within their budget (both money and time) if they released this without it being CE incentive.

#41 Posted by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

@Jaytow: That's an incredibly easy position to take. It might surprise you, but no one gets unlimited time, manpower and money to build games with. Just Valve and Blizzard.

Obviously they should've just cut it and the only way you'd ever know about it is the art book or the post-mortem. That way, no complaints.

#42 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
#43 Edited by Jaytow (703 posts) -

@Brodehouse: My position being easy doesn't make it any more or less accurate. I don't mind this DLC being there as an incentive to buy the game new but I don't like this.

Don't get me wrong. I have pre-ordered the CE, I just feel bad for those that didn't. I understand that no one gets unlimited time or money but I'm sure they could have fit this one character in without a problem and made enough money to roll in. This is greed, plain and simple if you ask me.

Obviously bioware have to follow EAs rules as far as DLC is concerned, I guess that's what you get for jumping into bed with the most greedy company in games today.

Also with the collectors edition being so limited, they would have ran out of copies from hardcore fans and collectors anyway (without this DLC).

#44 Posted by coaxmetal (1641 posts) -

I'm not buying this game for reasons entirely unrelated to this. I don't want to deal with origin, everything I have heard about the story sounds dumb, and Bioware and EA have been pretty shitty anyway recently and I don't want to give them money for it.

#45 Edited by lclay (383 posts) -

Still buying it. Will buy the DLC on release date just so I can have a chat with a prothean. I don't care if he's not story significant at all. 

I would've bought the CE if there were any available but instead I'm just going to get this. 

My assumption is that this dude was cut from the main game during development and then in the months between the game being content locked and release they worked on it so they could release some DLC. Things have always been cut from games but before the current generation you just never heard about them; now they're often just released as totally optional DLC for those who want to spend a bit more money on something a little extra. If I had to choose between spending £5 on a character and never knowing that character existed then I'd choose the former. 

Don't like it; don't buy it. EA and Bioware are a business, this is how capitalism works. 

edit: What really annoys me is that in searching for some concept art for the prothean I inadvertently saw some concept art for another new crew member which i really wish I hadn't seen. I don't know any of the story context for the character but I can work it out so now that little surprise is ruined for me :( 

I think i should just stay away from the internet until release date

#46 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@lclay said:

My assumption is that this dude was cut from the main game during development and then in the months between the game being content locked and release they worked on it so they could release some DLC.

You don't truely believe this shit you just wrote right?

You know what, if you're such a big Mass Effect fan and you just have to buy this game, don't worry, that's fine. But at least don't try to defend them for this crap.

There are no months between the game being content locked and released. Most games, Mass Effect included, have a crapton of issues to work on, up to release and often beyond. Bioware doesn't suddenly have the perfect game finished, one-two programmer round it up and it gets pressed etc.

People are working on a tight schedule and cut a lot corners to release a game rather early than late. Programmers, artists and other guys can easily work on a multitude of issues that require improvement in order to be up to the quality one would expect. Do you honestly think that in the super stressfull time before release that just a bunch of people start / continue creating a character, doing further voice over, implement the character into the game (requires a hell lot of coding of course) and so on? Of course not. That shit was planned amd worked on from the beginning most likely.

#47 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

>_>

#48 Posted by lclay (383 posts) -

No I have no doubt that the idea of a prothean character has been in the works for some time, probably since the beginning of development. In fact I know that originally the prothean character was supposed to play a more major role in the main plot.

I do not think, however, that the character was cut from the game just so they could release it as DLC. I'm saying that it was cut for other reasons and in previous years we would have never heard another thing about it but with the advent of DLC they are still able to provide a limited character/story arc for those who want to shell out an extra five quid. I know for a fact that the character's involvement in the story is extremely limited, much like Zaeed or possibly even less so; I don't see a problem with them doing this and don't think it really needs defending.

#49 Posted by Crypt135 (69 posts) -

@jakonovski said:

If a live Prothean is not an important plot point, what hope is there for ME3's story?

#50 Posted by lclay (383 posts) -

I'll let you know once I've played it and actually have something to go by besides baseless conjecture :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.