Javik on Thessia... not a big deal at all.

#1 Posted by galloughs (192 posts) -

I didn't buy From Ashes when the game first came out, but somewhere in the months since, I did. I've been replaying ME3 to see the Javik stuff as well as the new endings, and I'd heard that taking Javik to Thessia is critical. I did that last night, and I can't see why anyone anywhere would think that.

The interaction he has with the Asari commander at the start of the mission doesn't end any differently than when he's not there, instead of Shepard doing the convincing, Javik just uses his mystical space-voodoo. The beacon sequence also plays out exactly the same as it does when he's not there, and, disappointingly, the only direct interaction he has with the Prothean VI is a throwaway line where he tells the VI to trust Shepard, something that it does anyway without Javik present.

So, what's the big deal with bringing Javik here? Am I missing something, or is the mission you "have" to take him on something else? Kinda weird if this is the thing that people are hyping up, like on the latest bombcast. Can anyone enlighten me?

#2 Posted by FTomato (234 posts) -

There are a lot of objects in the museum-y part of the level that can be interacted with. Javik has a lot of interesting Prothean trivia to tell there.

#3 Posted by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -

It is more about the stuff that he explains when interacting with other objects in the museum, how the Protheans basically changed how the Asari evolved and how the Asari gods are actually Protheans.

#4 Posted by cmblasko (1193 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

It is more about the stuff that he explains when interacting with other objects in the museum, how the Protheans basically changed how the Asari evolved and how the Asari gods are actually Protheans.

Yeah, I didn't have the Javik DLC when I played through and that sounds like something pretty big that I would have liked to hear in-game.

#5 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

It's importance is definitely over-hyped. It's really interesting information, but it's not THAT big a deal.

But yeah, it's the stuff Javik reveals about the items on exhibit (as others have said).

#6 Posted by Encephalon (1242 posts) -

Granted, his importance has been overstated to the nth degree on the Bombcast.

Javik's a real cool cat, regardless.

#7 Posted by Maajin (1059 posts) -

It's weird that you would expect something besides his point of view on stuff. Points A and B in Mass Effect so rarely change, what changes are the way you get from one to the other and what kind of information you get along the way.

#8 Posted by probablytuna (3612 posts) -

It's mostly related to the history of the Asari race and their beliefs. It's just backstory stuff that's not necessarily important to the main story, but if you are really into the lore then it would interest you.

#9 Posted by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

It's certainly all more interesting than anything the big beefy marine Freddie Prinze Jr. voice acted added to the game. That should've been the DLC character.

#10 Posted by ShaggE (6416 posts) -

@SeanFoster said:

It's certainly all more interesting than anything the big beefy marine Freddie Prinze Jr. voice acted added to the game. That should've been the DLC character.

Oh, wow. I completely forgot about him. Not even joking, I forgot his character existed. That's... not a good thing.

#11 Posted by AckbarTheGreat (419 posts) -

Actually, if you choose the right dialog options with him when you're talking to the A.I he'll heavily foreshadow the ending and reaper motivations.

#12 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@SeanFoster said:

Oh, wow. I completely forgot about him. Not even joking, I forgot his character existed. That's... not a good thing.

I remember that fight when you first talked to him on the ship was pretty great and he hit on me in the bar which was pretty weird. 2 moments I remember about that character.

#13 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

Best thing about Javik if you're renegade, at the very end where Shepard is talking to everyone before the final mission begins he tells you that if he survives he plans on living with the Hanar and being worshiped as a god for the rest of his life.

#14 Posted by RVonE (4630 posts) -

He's mostly like a snide codex, I guess. Also, since the Protheans were just one cycle in a sequence of countless cycles, their historical relevance to that universe is, perhaps, not as great as was foreshadowed in Mass Effect 1.

#15 Posted by AlisterCat (5531 posts) -

You're thinking more about what it changes, which is nothing. That's totally fine. It's more what that character brings in terms of commentary. Liara really doesn't like him insulting her species. Also, going back to play that stuff significantly diminishes the value of it.

#16 Posted by galloughs (192 posts) -

@ everyone itt:

My expectations were a result of how hyped this has been everywhere the game is discussed. I wasn't expecting anything specific, I was just expecting something at the very least worthwhile. Instead, it was just some throwaway dialogue that I don't think was that revelatory to begin with. I just fell victim to the hyperbolic nature of video games journalism, I guess! Thanks for the replies.

#17 Posted by Roger778 (957 posts) -

@SeanFoster:

I thought the character Freddie Prinze Jr. played was pretty decent. Granted, he's not an excellent addition to the series, but you actually learn some interesting things about his past if you talk to him. He's also got some cool weapon skills.

#18 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

orignally on thessia javik was going to be kidnapped instead of the ai!

#19 Edited by Marz (5648 posts) -

I think what's more important is the little storyline that develops between Liara and Javik, and this basically pushes her over the breaking point.   

#20 Posted by EXTomar (4677 posts) -

Javik is just as if not more important to have hanging around the ship. Honestly looking back it is pretty close to "criminal" that he was DLC where they should have allowed Javik on the ship but not recruitable without completing his mission as DLC. If you don't get the DLC at least you get that insight you get by talking to him in his room.

#21 Posted by TheHT (11132 posts) -

The big deal for me was his interaction with Liara, just straight up dropping some lore about the asari gods just being protheans, etc, etc.

From the little of the wiki page for Leviathan I've read, it sounds like that was even more important lore wise. That's definitely my biggest gripe with ME3: the DLC. Self-contained missions or gear DLC is one (perfectly acceptable) thing, but when your DLC directly fits into the main story and would've made that core story not only richer but actually more comprehensible, you've fucked up.

It's seriously worse than true ending DLC like Prince of Persia or Asura's Wrath, since at least with those you'll beat the game and then go back to see what happens next instead of experiencing a jaggy story and then going back to plug up some holes. Not good. BAD BIOWARE/EA, BAD.

#22 Posted by Tyashki (213 posts) -

I got the Asari gods being Protheans information anyway, and I took EDI.

It still doesn't seem that unique.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.