Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Jessica Chobot not happy about fan reaction in ME3.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishinfoulux

Her role specifically. Couldn't fit that in the header. >_>

"Here's the thing, and it's going to sound really weird, but as a Bioware fan, this whole uproar has just made me so sad and a little heartbroken. The petition, the attacks on a female Bioware employee and the reaction I received when it was announced I was a cameo in the game just kind of...well, hurt my feelings. Plain and simple. Listen, I totally get that games are a huge investment of time and money and, as an sales product, they should provide a certain level of expectations and satisfaction for the consumer. I also am totally aware that games are now, after much fighting by the gaming community, finally considered works of art and, as art, should not always bend to what the masses want. So, I'm torn when it comes to which side of the fence I personally (not professionally) find myself standing. All in all, I've become increasingly hyper sensitive to everything surrounding the game and should, in hindsight, just try to avoid any reference to it whatsoever since I find it difficult to be objective when it comes to my personal feelings about it. Either way, this doesn't excuse my ranting behavior. As I grow older, I need to remind myself that I should also act more mature and stepping down to a level of name calling just isn't what I want to do. So, please consider this an, "I'm sorry."

She also dismissed the notion that she got her IGN job just because she licked a video game system, addressing an unspecified commenter in that entry's very comment section:

"That image did nothing more than bring attention to me for a VERY brief amount of time. Large companies do not just hand out careers to any random pretty chick who has some attention. I got my job by working hard, being at the right place at the right time and doing well at what was asked. I've stayed in this line of work for SEVEN years because I enjoy talking about games, I constantly strive to improve how I approach my work."

A day later, she said she was closing down the blog. Then, she updated that post saying she would keep it open, but probably wouldn't use it much anymore.

Not including the link because no need to give IGN hits. If you want to google it I'm sure you can find it, but this is basically it. Personally I loved ME3, but there is no getting around that she was awful in it. Also for her to deny that her PSP lick photo did anything for her is fucking laughable.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sooty

Getting sad and heartbroken over the reception to a game you didn't make?

Alright, I guess. Seems a little weird to me.

Edit: I'm not Chobot hating, I'd have that reaction over anyone saying stuff like that.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheHumanDove

Ah yes, the attention seeker. "I'm going to shut my blog down! No I'm not, but I totally wont use it much!"

This is truly epic for the win.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

It's easy to treat her like shit on the internet, but I feel for where she's coming from. She's far from my favourite internet persona but she's not an active asshole and seems excited and interested in games.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By IAmNotBatman

I wasn't very happy about her being in the game, so out of place compared to the rest of the characters. If you're going to model a real person into a fictional video game world and name her something different why don't we get fucking Leonardo Dicaprio and Robert Downey Jr into every game ever so that I'm never immersed into the experience and I just end up analyzing their performance instead.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Sorry, but the way she's portrayed in game is just awful.
    Her character looks silly and fake, her outfit is nowhere near a reporter's (not even a space reporters, look at that journo we got to punch every ME) and her personality ingame was horribly expendable.
    There's no way she should have been proud of that character, not in the slightest.

Sure, it hurts when people respond to your presence like that but if she's so immersed in the game writing business she too could see what a horrible expendable character she is in the game, little more than forced hype.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nonused

Well, I'm not happy about Jessica Chobot.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I don't know where I stand with Chobot.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By IBurningStar

I think the appropriate stance is to be completely neutral on all things IGN related.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalm

I might've been more warming to her and they didn't turn her into Snooki in Mass Effect 3.

novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By novadth

Don't particularly know or care about her but her character in ME3 is pretty bland and the voice acting leaves a lot to be desired.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I don't give a damn, Miss Chobot.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Understandable.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sooty
    No Caption Provided
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Her ME3 character wasn't particularly entertaining, but I think she gets too much flack, and nothing she says here seems particularly objectionable.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster

My only problem with her is that her Mass Effect character looks like Snookie.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai

"Large companies do not just hand out careers to any random pretty chick who has some attention."

Umm...Yes they do.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BrockNRolla

This makes me feel nothing.

She's sorry about the way she acted and unhappy about the reaction people had to her being in the game. Sounds reasonable.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By rjayb89

She's a really bad voice actor. You'd think it was easy with everyone in Mass Effect but she proved that there are bad voice actors.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BrockNRolla

@kishinfoulux said:

Her role specifically. Couldn't fit that in the header. >_>

That's a pretty misleading headline by the way. Just asking for flaming. There is a big difference between her being upset about the "fan reaction" and her being upset about her personal reception and further, being sorry about the way she responded.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sooty

@rjayb89 said:

but she proved that there are bad voice actors.

I think that was proved a long time ago

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By Daneian

My only issue is that she provided an utterly lifeless performance.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By rjayb89

@Sooty said:

@rjayb89 said:

No, she's the first bad voice actor.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By biospank
    @Godlyawesomeguy said:

@biospank said:

ok, who cares? After all ME3 end was crap and the money that the used on that whore could have been used on something else, I think.

So....what makes her a whore again? Please, explain.

Well, I was supossed to write attention whore tbh.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sooty

@rjayb89 said:

@Sooty said:

@rjayb89 said:

No, she's the first bad voice actor.

and the first female. Ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I didn't really mind her character. I thought she sounded and looked a little goofy but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the game.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Marz

I dunno, should i feel bad about her? 

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sooty

I dunno who disappoint me in that GIF more, her or the guys cheering. That's the worst.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Commisar123

I don't know, I feel bad for her after reading that, but I don't like how she lumped the ME3 reactions in with the attacks on the female Bioware employee. I mean I think does attacks are awful, but I still have a lot of problems with ME3. To me those are separate issues even if the audience is shared.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

She was bad in the game and her character looks like she had down syndrome

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By qawsed

I can't fault her for taking a role that was offered to her. My vitriol is mostly reserved for BioWare/EA for thinking it was a good idea in the first place. They didn't pick her because they thought she was a good actress. Then the rest of my vitriol is reserved for the pathetic guys who only embrace female gamers if they're sexy.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pinworm45

Who gives a fuck about this dumb bitch?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By big_jon

@biospank said:

ok, who cares? After all ME3 end was crap and the money that the used on that whore could have been used on something else, I think. But what is done is done. I will not buy any dlc or play ME3 again because it is not more then 1 time playtrough rather then multiple like the withcer or some other rpg.

You sound like one sad, angry nerd, grow the fuck up.

I don't love her, but insulting her with name calling, and being outright offensive, that is what twelve year olds do? Get over yourself you fucking prick, it sure is easy to call someone a whore over the internet isn't it you douche.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ExplodeMode

Listen, I totally get that games are a huge investment of time and money and, as an sales product, they should provide a certain level of expectations and satisfaction for the consumer. I also am totally aware that games are now, after much fighting by the gaming community, finally considered works of art and, as art, should not always bend to what the masses want. So, I'm torn...

I keep hearing this argument and it's never been true.  Every sequel or post game DLC for every game ever has taken public consensus into account.  'People didn't like this weapon so we changed the way it works.'  'People really liked this character so we brought her back.'  'People really liked level 3 so we made more like that.'  Games have all ways been iterative and designers have always made changes based on feedback from their fans.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By jakob187

Jessica Chobot said:

Large companies do not just hand out careers to any random pretty chick who has some attention.

Yep. She's totally right. A woman that once said that video games are her "weak point" and publicly (and repeatedly) professes to loving anal, a former Playboy model, and a monthly columist for FHM Magazine and acts like a prima donna at public events by forcing everyday joes away from demos at PAX in order for her to be surrounded by an entourage and play the demo herself...and all three continually model in clothing as skimpy as possible, even going so far as to having one of them have nude pictures leak out?

That's not even including the actress who slumped out of the cancelled Jericho to jump onto AotS.

Of course large companies don't hand out careers to any random pretty chick who has some attention. -_-

As for Chobot herself, she may be the most knowledgeable of the bunch (probably about as close as Morgan Webb), but that isn't saying much.

Honestly, I think Sarah Lane is the only one out of the TechTV/G4 bunch that doesn't come across as being mentally challenged in the least.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" Large companies do not just hand out careers to any random pretty chick who has some attention"

Hahah.   
    Hahahahahah.   
    boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By boj4ngles

I think the reason she gets so much hate is not because she has done anything particularly wrong or because she is a bad person, but because she has become a symbolic nexus of many problems in America's videogame sub-culture.

1. She works for a website that can't seem to decide if it is a newspaper or an infomercial.
    2. She does (or did) a daily video segment that seemed to be less about conveying premium information, and more about promoting corporate press releases.
    3. She was always first and foremost a "hot babe" who liked video games, which is both endorsing and making fun of the notion that all gamers are male teenagers.

I could go on but I'm about to head out the door to church.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By devilzrule27

The internet s@Gamer_152 said:

Her ME3 character wasn't particularly entertaining, but I think she gets too much flack, and nothing she says here seems particularly objectionable.

Yup, just typical internet hate. So stupid and pointless.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NathanStack

Why is her face so fucking fat in the game? It's not that fat IRL. She looks like she was attacked by a swarm of space bees or something.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By Phatmac

Well I'm not happy about her being in the game since she has no reason to be in it. She's a D-list internet celebrity that contributed nothing to Mass Effect 3. Her voice acting is also horrid. So yeah life is unfair sometimes.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By big_jon

@devilzrule27 said:

The internet s@Gamer_152 said:

Yup, just typical internet hate. So stupid and pointless.

Quite

The internet is a sad place and it is full of sad chauvinistic nerds.

This coming from someone who hates self satisfied pretty girls who get things handed to them.

At least she seems genuinely interested in games.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By Zleunamme

It weird that she is listed third on voice actor credits. I didn't notice until later but Bioware arrange the order of the cast by the alphabet of the character names, not the actors or order of appearance. She listed ahead of Keith David and Martin Sheen. I find that incredibly lame. No one mad a big fuss when Dan Ryckert of Game Informer was featured in L.A Noire. On the bright side, Bioware didn't put Olivia Munn in the game.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Subjugation

I don't hate her personally, but I thought her character in ME3 was completely forgettable.  

Completely.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By aurahack

Her appearance in ME3 is pretty much comparable to the sunspot on my waist. It sucks, is useless, and kind of detracts from something that's alright. But it's there, and I have to deal with it. :T

That said, my sunspot doesn't come off on videos as a pretty face to fill my head in with advertisement-quality journalism.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By turboman

Who the hell is Jessica Chobot?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By N7
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Sorry, but the way she's portrayed in game is just awful. Her character looks silly and fake, her outfit is nowhere near a reporter's (not even a space reporters, look at that journo we got to punch every ME) and her personality ingame was horribly expendable. There's no way she should have been proud of that character, not in the slightest.  Sure, it hurts when people respond to your presence like that but if she's so immersed in the game writing business she too could see what a horrible expendable character she is in the game, little more than forced hype.
    See YOU? next time on THE... BATTLE. Space.

She's also a very wonderful voice actor.
    clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By clumsyninja1

Didn't she got more attention cause she started to work at G4 ?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Ramone

@biospank said:

ok, who cares? After all ME3 end was crap and the money that the used on that whore could have been used on something else, I think. But what is done is done. I will not buy any dlc or play ME3 again because it is not more then 1 time playtrough rather then multiple like the withcer or some other rpg.

Wow. Is there any need for that sort of personal insult?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#50  Edited By LordAndrew
    I have no idea why everyone feels so strongly about Chobits.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.