Marketing genius or a disaster waiting to happen?

• 70 results
#1 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

So EA are doing some interesting marketing stunts for Mass Effect 3, they will be sending copies of Mass Effect 3 into the upper stratosphere of Earth attached to weather balloons which will burst and send early copies of the game raining down to (or on) some lucky member of the public above the following areas: New York, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Berlin, London and Paris. Of course each copy will have a GPS tracker on it so there will be a certain method to this madness. So what do you think Giantbomb community is this a crazy hunt that will be awesome or a disaster waiting to be on newspapers?

(Terminal velocity dictates that these wouldn't have the potential to kill anybody and of course they will have parachutes but think about the people, willing to swim anywhere, scale anything or fight anyone for their copy of Mass Effect 3)

(Full story here)

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Why would it be a disaster? They aren't going to fall down at high speeds.. They will have parachute type things. Same as those kids who sent a lego into space did. They will just slowly fall back down to earth.

#3 Posted by TheHT (11262 posts) -

They're all going to fall in bodies of water. I'm calling it.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

What the fuck 

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -

@TheHT: Will they float? GET THE BOATS

#6 Posted by rjayb89 (7722 posts) -

Ah yes, Reapers.

#7 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

@TheHT said:

They're all going to fall in bodies of water. I'm calling it.

That would be AMAZING!

#8 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I would love to see the fallout from this if somebody got killed...not that I want anybody to get killed.

#9 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

People haven't heard of terminal velocity.

#10 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Too much effort. Unless one lands in my lap I'll just buy it

#11 Posted by believer258 (11908 posts) -

Holy shit. That is crazy.

Meanwhile, what if it lands in the lap of the very person who pointed fingers at the first one and called it a game where you can rape people? I'm not sure if that would be hilarious or a waste.

#12 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Why would it be a disaster? They aren't going to fall down at high speeds.. They will have parachute type things. Same as those kids who sent a lego into space did. They will just slowly fall back down to earth.

Sending things in to space always has room for disaster, and that disaster doesn't have to be somebody getting killed, it could be just each copy lands in the ocean or places that nobody can reach.

#13 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Dylabaloo said:

@CL60 said:

Sending things in to space always has room for disaster, and that disaster doesn't have to be somebody getting killed, it could be just each copy lands in the ocean or places that nobody can reach.

That wouldn't really be a disaster. It would just be unfortunate. It's not like this is expensive to do. Some Canadian teenagers did it with a lego man for like 400 dollars.

#14 Posted by Pezen (1604 posts) -

Would be fun if it landed by someone, they picked it up and said "This box is scratched, I don't want this."

#15 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Dylabaloo said:

@CL60 said:

That wouldn't really be a disaster. It would just be unfortunate. It's not like this is expensive to do. Some Canadian teenagers did it with a lego man for like 400 dollars.

I understand, but you need some hyperbole to get the people in.

#16 Posted by pweidman (2334 posts) -

OK, visualize this. Deep in the EA hive, in some back room, people are racking their brains about how to create some extra hype for Mass Effect 3. And then someone pitches this madness. All mouthes are agape, and finally some silverhaired executive says 'brilliant...get on it!!"

#17 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -

That is silly, just give me a copy

#18 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

I guess this would make Mass Effect 3....out of this world

#19 Posted by Etaber (160 posts) -

Most people here are probably too young to get this but the following quote immediately popped into my head, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." :)

#20 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11020 posts) -

I question if those discs will survive the fall.

#21 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

If Commander Shepard can survive space, so can these discs!

#22 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

not sure a dvd case would have the 'mass' effect, to do much damage no matter how high you drop it from

#23 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

You guys don't honestly think it's just going to fall from space? It's going to have a parachute. Same way those teens who put a lego man up into space the exact same way Bioware is doing this gave it a little parachute they made so it came down safely.

#24 Edited by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

Even if it did fall, I don't think a game case hitting someone at terminal velocity would be fatal.

#25 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11020 posts) -

@Dylabaloo said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

If Commander Shepard can survive space, so can these discs!

No he didn't! The whole point was that he died, and they had to bring him back!

@CL60 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

You guys don't honestly think it's just going to fall from space? It's going to have a parachute. Same way those teens who put a lego man up into space the exact same way Bioware is doing this gave it a little parachute they made so it came down safely.

Parachutes can fail, man. And even with it, how much will it get slowed down? That's just a straight up box. I can see it getting wrecked, even with a slowed descent.

#26 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

As much as I hate EA, I love this marketing move to be honest. It's something that will gain a lot of attention and is just plain fun.

Of course those cases will drop with a parachute and on top of that they're probably encased in some extra plastic, so that when they drop in some lake or so the DVDs won't get wet. And they'll obviously float on the surface too.

#27 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Man, everyone and their mother is doing this now.

@MooseyMcMan said:

Didn't the iPad (a device that can be damaged falling five feet onto carpet) survive this? I'm sure they'll be fine.

#28 Posted by HatKing (5950 posts) -

I really hope at least one of them ends up destroyed somehow. Perhaps it will land in a smokestack or a open volcano.

#29 Posted by Grixxel (766 posts) -

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

/shades

#30 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Kanji said:

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

/shades

YEEEAAAAH!

#31 Posted by DeF (4889 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

That is silly, just give me a copy

this.

#32 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

What a badass idea. If you're gonna pull marketing stunts, you might as well make them crazy as hell.

#33 Edited by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

Someone is going to get fucking stabbed, at the crash sites.

#34 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3091 posts) -

Time to find a copy and host an underground gladiatorial combat arena to decide who keeps it.

#35 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I hate EA.

#36 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

Oh hell no, that is terrible!! Now go sit in your corner and think about what you've done. :-)

#37 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@CL60 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Parachutes can fail, man. And even with it, how much will it get slowed down? That's just a straight up box. I can see it getting wrecked, even with a slowed descent.

An iPad and some lego survived the same thing. I'm pretty sure a video game box will be okay.

#38 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1832 posts) -

time to go on a road trip.

#39 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

They'll either land in areas where nobody will be around, or someone who doesn't care about games will grab it and be very confused.

#40 Posted by Beanpants (64 posts) -

@phrosnite: Not to mention it is light and the case is thin and rectangular. A gust of wind will cause it to slow down significantly. You could probably chuck these things without a parachute and the worst you'll end up with is a scuffed case.

#41 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1469 posts) -

I wish they would just send the discs directly to my house.

#42 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -

They sending up any PC versions of the game or just console versions? Also, if one of these somehow kills someone I will burst out laughing.

#43 Posted by Linkster7 (1025 posts) -

This is gonna break out a lot of fights.

Someone is going to die because of this, calling it!

#44 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

These marketing schemes sound ridiculous now. First was the Facebook post/repost/invite crap, now this? It's like Old Spice-grade randomness, but without the funny....

#45 Posted by endaround (2145 posts) -

I mean what could possibly go wrong?

#46 Posted by BlastProcessing (917 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I hate EA.

GOOD TO KNOW!!

#47 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Etaber said:

Most people here are probably too young to get this but the following quote immediately popped into my head, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." :)

I loved WKRP in Cincinnati.
#48 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

@Dylabaloo said:

@CL60 said:

I want one to land on a plane if possible.

#49 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@CL60: You reasonable man stop using logic in this thread!

#50 Posted by mlarrabee (2957 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.