Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect 3 and the vocal minority on Day one DLC.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Masha2932

By now I'm sure most of you have seen the infamous Modern Warfare 2 image (see below) where gamers who were part of a modern warfare 2 boycott list were seen playing the game once it released. This was clearly a case of some gamers complaining loudly about something then turning around and forgetting to vote with their wallets.

In the same year we had the kerfuffle over left 4 dead 2 but shockingly the game went on to sell just as well if not better than the first game.

This year we had the complaints over day one DLC in Mass Effect 3 and this week EA and Gamestop reported that sales of day one DLC were very impressive. From the Eurogamer story( http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-09-ea-ships-3-5-million-copies-of-mass-effect-3-around-the-world)

'US giant GameStop saw 40 per cent of day one customers also buy a download code for the day one DLC From Ashes. "The tie ratio at the register is the highest in their history," Riccitiello said.'

Wow 40%, those are some really impressive numbers which could even be higher given we don't know how many people bought the DLC online.

It is almost creepy how the same pattern seems to repeat itself. Granted the people who complained could have stuck to their guns and not bought the DLC and these sales are just from walk-ins to Gamestop, but that's highly unlikely.

So what do you guys think? Are gamer 'boycotts' and complaints relevant if people don't vote with their wallets? Gamers' actions seem to speak louder than their words in these scenarios and it seems that companies will keep pushing the bounds of what is acceptable.

In a weird way I feel these boycotts actually help boost a game's sales. They get people talking about the game and as a result casual outsiders may be inclined to check out the game.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Waffles13

I'd like to believe that it's because people came to their senses and realized that with the way game development works, there will always be a huge gap of time between feature- and story-complete and ship date.

In reality, I have to assume that people are weak willed and happy to shit on something that sounds even the tiniest bit unfair to them, but then the second someone says "No really, it's pretty good," they drop everything and buy it.

Also, for what it's worth the DLC is effectively 4-5 moderately long conversations that shed a tiny bit of light on the life of one alien, as well as another biotic party member and an admittedly great rifle. Everyone who got up in arms about it being a massive piece of universe-changing content is 100% wrong.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By tunaburn

i bought it. it wasnt on the disc. it was made after the game was finished. im ok with it.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

You do realize that 40% tie in rate with game purchases means absolutely nothing if the people boycotting the game didn't buy the fucking game.

@Waffles13: The DLC is on the disc, Bioware lied.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@tunaburn said:

i bought it. it wasnt on the disc. it was made after the game was finished. im ok with it.

You're so naiv it's almost cute.

Even when the internet is full of proof that this DLC has been in the game for a long time already, people eat the shit oh so "honest" Bioware presents them.

@Topic

Well not only is the active internet userbase that's a highly likely Mass Effect 3 customer relatively small, the percentage of people resisting to buy the DLC duo to its controversry - even smaller. People that were pretty sure to get the game but ended up boycotting it completely duo to all that Bioware crap lately? 1-2 guys probably -.-

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DarthOrange

What about when all those people in the PlayStation Blog comments that said they wouldn't buy ModNation Racers Vita if it didn't have online play and then it came out and no one bought it? Sometimes it really happens, just usually not for the big AAA games.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

just get over it, that's what everyone should do. 
    People also need to know how DLC is actually made to begin with

GinjaAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By GinjaAssassin

I feel like some gamers bitch and moan way too much about fairness. For christ sake, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But don't try and make me feel guilty because I want to support business. I'm not saying it's right and this example is pretty shitty now that all the evidence has (apparently) come out, but stop complaining about everything and just play video games :). Also, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but when I downloaded From Ashes, it was over 600 MB. That seems pretty big for something that was already on the disc, no?

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pw2566ch

That's because most gamers have no dignity and just join up with the in-crowd. I stick by what I say and I haven't bought Mass Effect 3 at all. I won't buy it new, used, and I won't even pirate. I won't give EA the benefit of them trying to rip me off.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By biggiedubs

Really doesn't surprise me. For as much whining, complaining and flaming of Bioware that's gone on recently, of course they're going to buy it. They've got most people by the nuts because its extra content that they really want to play (or at least, think they want to play), and they've got the other half because they want to buy it to pretentiously complain about it or because they think that just little old me buying it won't matter anyway.

Gamers need to get over themselves, honestly. Stop thinking that these huge game companies are your friends and want to cut you the best deal. It's a business. They're trying to get the most amount of money from you with the least amount of work. If you don't like this incredibly aggressive marketing campaign of Day One DLC, which that's all it is when it really comes down to it, then either don't buy it or stick with the indie developers.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By big_jon

I don't like that I bought a game that I can't S-rank the day it came out, rubs me the wrong way.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Turambar

I find myself pretty disappointed with this dlc not because it's day one, on the disc, or anything of that nature.

Having the the dlc crew member be who he is, Bioware once again wrote themselves into a bad place.  If the dlc was in game world changing, it would have been off putting to people who would considering such a thing to belong in the game itself.  But, and by all accounts this is the case, if it is largely inconsequential, the nature of the new character makes that very disappointing.  How can having that guy on your side not change a whole lot of things?

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Waffles13
    @Turambar said:

I find myself pretty disappointed with this dlc not because it's day one, on the disc, or anything of that nature.

Having the the dlc crew member be who he is, Bioware once again wrote themselves into a bad place.  If the dlc was in game world changing, it would have been off putting to people who would considering such a thing to belong in the game itself.  But, and by all accounts this is the case, if it is largely inconsequential, the nature of the new character makes that very disappointing.  How can having that guy on your side not change a whole lot of things?

As for everyone saying it's on the disc, A) I believe it's still a sizable download (~600 megs?), so even if that is 90% cutscenes, it's not like there's a whole lot else to the DLC than dialogue. And B) Even if the assets and majority of the content are on the disc, that still doesn't mean the DLC was completed until right before the game went to cert, and hadn't may not have been fully tested/integrated into the core game/had cutscenes added etc.

Every game has DLC now, and I'll bet that half of them have the first pack done by the time the game hits shelves. The game is 100% a complete game without it, and even if the DLC was actually good and worth the $10, you're buying an addition to a great game. If that still rubs you the wrong way, don't buy it. And next time it happens, don't buy that either. And if they keep doing it forever, never buy it. Getting up in arms over people who say they wont buy it and then do anyway doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever, until they start putting out huge chunks of DLC that are essential to finish the game, and as soon as that happens, the games industry is doomed anyway. Key the isn't just to vote with your dollar, but to mind your own goddamn business how I vote with mine.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @CrossTheAtlantic

@tunaburn said:

(Your avatar is great).

I don't really care one way or the other with this, but it appears it might've been on the disc after all: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116234-Day-One-DLC-Files-Appear-on-Mass-Effect-3-Discs

I can't verify if that's actually true, however.

I had a 500+ mb download so I don't think it's on disc. Also the content is good especially for people like me who love mass effect. It totally cool
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Turambar
    @Waffles13 said:

@Turambar said:

And that's what makes the dlc very disappointing from the other end. 
    mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mandude

Buying the game anyway doesn't make a boycott irrelevant. It makes it not a boycott.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AiurFlux

The complaints are perfectly valid since we're just finding out that assets from From Ashes are on the disc themselves, before it went into certification and went gold. They might have finished it AFTER it was sent but it was planned and executed well in advance. Especially considering all of the voice-work with the characters and the scripting involved as well. That is not alright, at all. When someone buys a product that they expect to be complete it should be fucking complete, not have bits held back in an attempt to monetize it further. Would anyone here go to a movie just to have a major scene removed but available if you pay extra? No. Would anyone here buy a car for full price but it had no transmission, but you could always buy it and have it installed? No. Because that's not what's supposed to happen. When people pay full fucking price for something they should get a complete product. Period. Not have bits held hostage at a premium.

That said, gamers are fucking stupid. We've known this for a long time. They say No but end up saying Yes with their wallets, which is why companies like EA and ActiVision think they can get away with this. Sad thing is they are getting away with it. And they will continue to get away with it unless people actually back up their words without being self-entitled prick by pirating it or legislation is enabled to prevent the price gouging. They're only doing it and getting away with it because gaming is still in it's infancy and they think that most gamers are 14 year old kids with unlimited reserves courtesy of mommy and daddy.

Fucking disgusting.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bwheeeler

@Turambar said:

@Waffles13 said:

@Turambar said:

Having the the dlc crew member be who he is, Bioware once again wrote themselves into a bad place. If the dlc was in game world changing, it would have been off putting to people who would considering such a thing to belong in the game itself. But, and by all accounts this is the case, if it is largely inconsequential, the nature of the new character makes that very disappointing. How can having that guy on your side not change a whole lot of things?

Because he happens to be a warrior, who grew up during the war and therefore knew nothing of real Prothean society and never heard anything but rumors about the Crucible. The only thing he really "reveals" is that the Protheans were all gigantic dicks.
    And that's what makes the dlc very disappointing from the other end.
    You don't spend the franchise making an extinct species out to be super awesome and advanced, and then come up with a real live one and go "nah, he ain't special." without making the entire process incredibly disappointing.

They didn't go "nah, he ain't special", though. He wasn't THE KEY TO THE MASS EFFECT UNIVERSE, and he wasn't a throwaway character, either. Those aren't the only two possibilities - he sat pretty squarely in the middle of those two extremes. It was a good piece of content; its biggest failing was its marketing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@AiurFlux said:

Would anyone here go to a movie just to have a major scene removed but available if you pay extra? No.

Hope you've never bought a DVD before.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Waffles13
    @AiurFlux: If I understand the industry at all, the core designers, artists, and writers are some of the first people to "finish" on a game. Meaning that after the core story are side missions and all that are written and designed, you have a large group of people that have significantly lower workloads than the people that are programming, balancing and bug testing. Unless you happen to have a staff who are all multi-talented and can code just as well as they write or model or draw, what do you suggest they do?

You're right, they probably had the majority of the DLC complete, and potentially a large portion of it on the disc before the game went gold. They probably also recorded the voice work during or just after they recorded the rest. So yes, in that sense, they could have put it in the main package.

With no high quality cutscenes. No bug testing. Potentially not even a mission you can physically complete in a linear A-to-B-to-C fashion. Having assets or spoken dialogue on a disc (which there is no proof that it even is on the disc) doesn't mean that suddenly the DLC is fully formed and ready for prime time. But the game went gold in mid-February, which means that they had lots of time between gold and ship where their entire staff had shit to do. 3 weeks is more than enough time to take a pile of assets and make missions and conversations out of it.

Also, your analogies are awful. Mass Effect 3, standard edition, no DLC, no preorder bonuses, nothing but the core game, is an excellent, well-made, high quality game whose single player takes upwards of 30 hours, with (a 100% OPTIONAL) multiplayer that you could probably spend roughly that same amount of time in. Your analogy should be that day one DLC is like buying a car, and having heated seats as an optional extra, or going to the movies, and having to pay extra for nachos. Sure, if the nachos were included in the price, that'd be great, but they are usually not and if you want an added experience on top of what you paid the base price for, go for it.
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikeGosot

Well, i never buy DLC. I know i'm not going to change the ENTIRE industry by doing that, but i don't like it, so i don't buy it.

honkyjesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By honkyjesus

I boycotted buying it. I rented it. I think the MW2 thing was the same deal.

Regardless, Day One DLC turned out to be just one of a litany of probs for the game. Sexually.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tunaburn

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@tunaburn said:

(Your avatar is great).

I don't really care one way or the other with this, but it appears it might've been on the disc after all: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116234-Day-One-DLC-Files-Appear-on-Mass-Effect-3-Discs

I can't verify if that's actually true, however.

thanks man. theres no way to know for sure i guess. but the download was like 600 mb so ill just give the benefit of the doubt i guess.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TentPole

@Waffles13: I think what you meant to say is that all the Protheans were gigantic badasses.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rawrz

Im glad I bought the DLC. It was a cool character and an interesting little piece of lore to the series and well I just liked seeing that the protheans werent some perfect race and were just as much of an asshole as every other race.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SethMode
    @TentPole: And not just gigantic badasses...but gigantic Rastafarian badasses!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.