Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Provides Temp XBL Gold Access

• 119 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    In addition to a taste of multiplayer, the demo will have a brief single player component, as well.
    In addition to a taste of multiplayer, the demo will have a brief single player component, as well.

Ordinarily, if a multiplayer-focused demo went up on Xbox Live, you’d need to have a Gold subscription in order to shoot at your friends, but that won’t be the case with Mass Effect 3.

When the Mass Effect 3 demo goes live on February 14, Silver members will temporarily graduate to Gold, and get all the benefits that come with that, including access to Hulu Plux, Netflix, etc.

According to Microsoft, the temporary lift will last “for the time leading to launch.” Mass Effect 3 is scheduled for March 6, so that’s a few weeks of playing around with Microsoft’s enhanced service.

Of course, there are no such requirements on PlayStation 3 or PC, so when the demo launches on both of those platforms on the same day, it’s business as usual. There is a single player component to the demo, as well, and you will not be able to import your save or custom Commander Shepard.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Ordinarily, if a multiplayer-focused demo went up on Xbox Live, you’d need to have a Gold subscription in order to shoot at your friends, but that won’t be the case with Mass Effect 3.

When the Mass Effect 3 demo goes live on February 14, Silver members will temporarily graduate to Gold, and get all the benefits that come with that, including access to Hulu Plux, Netflix, etc.

According to Microsoft, the temporary lift will last “for the time leading to launch.” Mass Effect 3 is scheduled for March 6, so that’s a few weeks of playing around with Microsoft’s enhanced service.

Of course, there are no such requirements on PlayStation 3 or PC, so when the demo launches on both of those platforms on the same day, it’s business as usual. There is a single player component to the demo, as well, and you will not be able to import your save or custom Commander Shepard.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sooty
    No Caption Provided

A multiplayer demo of a Mass Effect game, it's exactly what I wanted! I'm a bit weirded out by it being focused on MP. Did they release a demo of 2? Did that demo work alright without MP?

Edit: aw hell naw no save importing? Well, I guess that makes sense.

Lone_Villain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lone_Villain

I love hulu plux!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Sounds cool.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Venatio

I guess expecting to import my custom femShep into the demo, oh well, now I'm wondering if I should even try the SP part of the demo. Mostly wanna play to see how my PC handles it

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By JoeyRavn

I wonder how much EA paid Microsoft for this. Still, I can't get excited about anything Mass Effect these days. Pity.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By sagesebas

@HatKing: or they could just send you the two dollars in the mail.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By CosmicQueso

@HatKing said:

A little rubbed the wrong way that I'll be paying for a service Silver Members get for free. Maybe they'll extend existing Gold Members accounts a few weeks.

Oh for f's sakes... isn't the entitlement thing going just a tad bit far here?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BrockNRolla

@HatKing said:

A little rubbed the wrong way that I'll be paying for a service Silver Members get for free. Maybe they'll extend existing Gold Members accounts a few weeks.

Highly doubt we'll get any benefit. I'm sure EA (or whomever) paid for this specifically based on the number of silver members they would be supporting.

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Zaxex

There was no more elegant solution to a multiplayer demo than giving everyone Xbox Live Gold? Unless they were pushing Gold and hoping people will buy it when their trial expires, it's a little odd. All the people playing Call of Duty have Xbox Live Gold, surely that's enough people who can play the demo.

I think ME3 will probably do fine, I still don't understand the inclusion of multi-player though. Is that what people want? I'm still looking forward to the game, it's one of those games that I know I will buy and enjoy so I don't usually follow its coverage, a la Skyrim.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#12  Edited By Lazyaza

Was it ever confirmed how much of the demo needed to be played to unlock the armor/daggers in Reckoning?

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Wow.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By time allen

@HatKing said:

email them your home address and bill gates will personally send you a turd in a box

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sharpless

@CosmicQueso said:

@HatKing said:

Agreed. People complain when Microsoft's tight-fisted and restrictive, and people complain when Microsoft loosens up and throws users a bone. I'm pretty sure we gold members can live with paying a few bucks for something some people are temporarily getting for free.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By stinky

@CosmicQueso said:

you must be new to the internet. welcome and be cautious.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Humanity

@HatKing said:

Thats a little ridiculous though. The people like myself who use Gold and re-up annually regardless won't be affected. If you play a lot of online games or just use the service you were going to get it anyway. It's not hurting anyone that they're giving silvers members 2 weeks of free gold out of the entire year. IF anything I thought this was unusually generous of Microsoft and knowing them someone dished out a lot of money for it.

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cheapandtacky

I doubt that EA paid MS anything at all, sounds more likely MS are tripping over themselves to tag onto the the back of one of probably the biggest game this year.

After the huge expansion in gold services in the last fe months they'll be writing it off as trial advertising.

radar5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By radar5

I think you mean Hulu Plus

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By defaultprophet

@HatKing said:

Are you serious. Like.....what the hell is wrong with you that you think this way?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Phatmac

Cool I guess.

Rirse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rirse

Can Gold just have a free month by downloading it?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By Sergio

@JoeyRavn said:

I wonder how much EA paid Microsoft for this. Still, I can't get excited about anything Mass Effect these days. Pity.

My guess is probably nothing, since they're already shilling for Microsoft with the whole "better with Kinect" feature when voice commands have worked in previous games on other platforms without Kinect, using headsets.

piderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By piderman

including access to Hulu Plux, Netflix, etc.

Haha if only it worked like that in Europe.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By Hector

Favorite Xbox feature is Hulu Plux!

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HatKing said:

You're kind of a jerk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can say a lot of things about EA and Mass Effect, but they're certainly doing everything in their power to make this one of the biggest game releases ever (even if it will never have the reach GTA or CoD does).

@Zaxex: I enjoyed Mass Effect 2's gameplay as much as the story and presentation.  As anyone who played higher difficulties knows, how your squad and abilities are arranged and what enemies turn up really impacts the strategy of each encounter; the idea of doing that with personal friends or other Giant Bombers sounds awesome.  If I'm playing engineer and the soldier is throwing down cover fire and grenades so I can run hack a terminal and then a krogan rolls around the corner and oh no but wewt, the vanguard biotic charged from the other side of the level and knocked him back... that sounds awesome.
    turbojesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By turbojesus

Don't get me started on those assholes who get to use a month of Netflix and quit after their free trail is over. While I sit here paying like a chump. Dumbass.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Huey2k2

@CosmicQueso said:

@HatKing said:

Yes, how dare people who have been paying for Xbox Live for years and years be a little upset over the fact that people who haven't spent one single penny will be getting the same service as us, even if it is only temporarily.

FOR SHAME!

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Zlimness

Thanks EA for the gold membership. I fucking hate having to pay for some basic functionality in most of my games on the 360, so I decided to not do it anymore. But I hate EA even more, so having them pay for it instead works out just beautiful.

DjDonFrancisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DjDonFrancisco

Whats up with Shepard's tan?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By hermes

@Sooty: The demo won't focus on MP, it will have both components. In fact, the MP section won't be active for a couple days after the demo is released.

There was a demo for ME2 which has the first mission and a mission in the middle (with a disclaimer about being spoileristic), and using the default male character... It worked pretty well.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By rapid

@Lazyaza said:

Was it ever confirmed how much of the demo needed to be played to unlock the armor/daggers in Reckoning?

Check your Bioware account it should say if you have it or not.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

My membership went out recently so this is pretty neat until I can save some. I will have to skip on Mass Effect 3 for a bit though.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By laserbolts

@HatKing said:

I seriously hope you are kidding with a comment like this or I have lost all faith in humanity because of you.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ExplodeMode

That's kind of cool.  Hopefully it means that they believe in the MP and that maybe it's actually good.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Huh, that's cool. I just renewed, but that's still cool.@Huey2k2 said:

@CosmicQueso said:

@HatKing said:

Yes, how dare people who have been paying for Xbox Live for years and years be a little upset over the fact that people who haven't spent one single penny will be getting the same service as us, even if it is only temporarily.

FOR SHAME!

You'd save what, 3 dollars? Fuck off. I have payed for Gold for a good few years now, and I'm perfectly a-ok with this. You're a fucking frugal idiot if you think you need those couple of weeks. Seriously, it's not even a month. Next thing you're going to ask that all your games come with Gold Extension cards because it's not fair that people who haven't spent anything can use those 2 days of gold, it should only be for paying members!

This is business, and it's a good thing of them to do. Are you going to bitch when Whiskey makes happy hours occasionally free to show people what their missing? No. But You're going to bitch about less than 5 dollars you aren't saving? Get over yourself.

serenityman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By serenityman
    @The_Buffalo_Destroyer: I think Hulu Plux, sux.  
    CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CosmicQueso

@Huey2k2 said:

@CosmicQueso said:

@HatKing said:

FOR SHAME!

You are still receiving the exact service you agreed to pay for, nothing less at all. So there is absolutely zero injury to you that this promotion exists. You are not being hurt, you are not a victim.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#40  Edited By wumbo3000

Wait. You can't import your custom Shepard to ME3? I thought this was gonna be a feature in all of the games! I really enjoyed how ME2 handled it. Damn that sucks.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hatking

@Sharpless said:

@CosmicQueso said:

@HatKing said:

Agreed. People complain when Microsoft's tight-fisted and restrictive, and people complain when Microsoft loosens up and throws users a bone. I'm pretty sure we gold members can live with paying a few bucks for something some people are temporarily getting for free.

The entitlement thing is about what is unearned. Gold members actually pay money for a service. That service is free for two weeks, but I highly doubt that Microsoft will be showing those who already paid for it any compensation. I don't care that Xbox Live is free for two weeks, but it should be free for everybody. Hardly entitlement.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By umdesch4

@MordeaniisChaos said:

This is business, and it's a good thing of them to do. Are you going to bitch when Whiskey makes happy hours occasionally free to show people what their missing? No. But You're going to bitch about less than 5 dollars you aren't saving? Get over yourself.

This, 1000x this.

Oh, and this probably isn't the right time or place to ask (especially without doing the research for myself first), but given that Kinect for Windows is coming out now, will the PC version of ME3 support it too?

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rasgueado

@Huey2k2 said:

@CosmicQueso said:

@HatKing said:

FOR SHAME!

Cripes... only *now* does this practice annoy you? For years developers used to include thick card in their games that gave all those people who don't spend a single penny on xbox live a free MONTH gold access?

On the list of consumer deficit problems with the Xbox Live service... this doesn't rank all that high. I guess if it *really* bothers you... Steam is free.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

As patently against typos as I am, Patrick, you should really leave it as "Hulu Plux", because that sounds like some sci-fi shit.

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By admanb
    @CosmicQueso said:

@HatKing said:

Entitlement never goes too far on the Internet.
    CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CosmicQueso

@wumbo3000 said:

Wait. You can't import your custom Shepard to ME3? I thought this was gonna be a feature in all of the games! I really enjoyed how ME2 handled it. Damn that sucks.

You just can't bring it into the demo.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hatking

@Rasgueado: I'm fine with free trials, those are offered to everybody (and most require some sort of purchase anyway). This is a free two week period of a service that some members are being charged for and others are not. I'm not that upset over it, I think the internet did a good job of completely misreading what was written--as usual--but simply pointing out that it would be pretty cool if Gold Members saw something for the money they are paying (ie: a couple week extension or even a coupon for a few points off a XBLA title).

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#48  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

Keep in mind that services like Netflix and Hulu Plus require a separate subscription in addition to Xbox Live Gold. 

I never understood why they did that. Requiring two entirely separate paid subscriptions to access one service is shrewd.

Finscher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Finscher

@wumbo3000: Only for the demo, to cut down on the bandwidth requirements. Voice audio files take up a heck of a lot of space and consequently increase the download time, so it's not surprising that they cut down on as many as possible by ignoring possible past player actions and just focusing on a few.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#50  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @HatKing said:

You should be rubbed the wrong way that Microsoft expects you to pay for any of that junk at all. I don't have to pay extra to access Netflix on the PS3 or Wii. I just have to have Netflix. 

Nor do I run in to stupid bullshit like being signed out of Netflix on the Xbox just because I started up a Games for Windows Live game on the PC (read: you can't be signed in to the same Live account at two different locations, and since apps like Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, etc. require Xbox Live Gold, if you are signed out of your gamertag, you can't use them).

I find the whole thing offensive, and the only reason I'm an Xbox Live Gold subscriber is because it was basically given to me as a gift. I will never, ever, EVER willingly pay for that service, because it's nothing but a trick to cheat you out of another $60 a year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.