Mass Effect 3 Has Multiplayer Now, In Case You Were Wondering

Posted by Alex (2217 posts) -
This is happening.

If you follow other sites on the Internet that write about games in far greater quantity (if not necessarily quality--BOOM...*drops mic* *feedback*) than our little video game website, you may have been following the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer saga in a bit more of a step-by-step fashion than we have chosen to cover it here. In short: multiplayer for Mass Effect 3 has been rumored, debunked, rumored again, debunked again, and then rumored again more times than the existence of Shenmue 3, to the point where even if you cared about Mass Effect 3 having multiplayer, you have likely just given up and opted to wait for an actual confirmation from someone.

Good news then (maybe?): Multiplayer has been confirmed.

Specifically, it's been confirmed by dueling magazine covers in the latest issue of OXM, and Australian PC mag, PC PowerPlay. Of course, given that no one actually has either issue of either magazine in hand, we don't actually know what any of this multiplayer nonsense equates to. All we do know from the vague, cryptic descriptions either magazine chose to give is that the mode does tie into the main story campaign in some manner or another. I'll just go ahead and pull the starter cord on the rumor engine and say co-op campaign. I mean, it makes sense, right?

We'll get all the juicy details when the aforementioned magazines hit store shelves, and someone on NeoGAF inevitably scans all the feature pages and plasters them into a thread, thus spreading said information across the many news sites and blogs with similar, yet not entirely the same commentary, followed by similar, yet not entirely the same comments, ranging from enraged exclamations of derision, to excited, gleeful yelps of joy. Eventually the commenters will tire themselves out, both the rage and the joy will trail off, and the Internet will grow quiet for a single, fleeting moment before, like the Big Bang itself, a new rumor of multiplayer in something--maybe in Darksiders II or something--sparks the Internet's energy anew. Circle of life, or whatever.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2217 posts) -
This is happening.

If you follow other sites on the Internet that write about games in far greater quantity (if not necessarily quality--BOOM...*drops mic* *feedback*) than our little video game website, you may have been following the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer saga in a bit more of a step-by-step fashion than we have chosen to cover it here. In short: multiplayer for Mass Effect 3 has been rumored, debunked, rumored again, debunked again, and then rumored again more times than the existence of Shenmue 3, to the point where even if you cared about Mass Effect 3 having multiplayer, you have likely just given up and opted to wait for an actual confirmation from someone.

Good news then (maybe?): Multiplayer has been confirmed.

Specifically, it's been confirmed by dueling magazine covers in the latest issue of OXM, and Australian PC mag, PC PowerPlay. Of course, given that no one actually has either issue of either magazine in hand, we don't actually know what any of this multiplayer nonsense equates to. All we do know from the vague, cryptic descriptions either magazine chose to give is that the mode does tie into the main story campaign in some manner or another. I'll just go ahead and pull the starter cord on the rumor engine and say co-op campaign. I mean, it makes sense, right?

We'll get all the juicy details when the aforementioned magazines hit store shelves, and someone on NeoGAF inevitably scans all the feature pages and plasters them into a thread, thus spreading said information across the many news sites and blogs with similar, yet not entirely the same commentary, followed by similar, yet not entirely the same comments, ranging from enraged exclamations of derision, to excited, gleeful yelps of joy. Eventually the commenters will tire themselves out, both the rage and the joy will trail off, and the Internet will grow quiet for a single, fleeting moment before, like the Big Bang itself, a new rumor of multiplayer in something--maybe in Darksiders II or something--sparks the Internet's energy anew. Circle of life, or whatever.

Staff
#2 Edited by Binarynova (150 posts) -

Interesting.

EDIT: Woot! And also, depending on how this works out it could be interesting. Though I wasn't really too thrilled with ME2 in general so idk. *shrug*

#3 Edited by zolloz89 (252 posts) -

damn. only my first try.

multiplayer in me3. probably something that could work that id never use.

#4 Posted by Jeffk38uk (716 posts) -

I'll bet 100 bison dollars it's tower defence multiplayer. :P

After I kidnap the queen of course.

#5 Posted by evanbower (1213 posts) -

I love Alex.

#6 Posted by vaportra1l (272 posts) -

I could go for a coop campaign in ME3. Not really interested in deathmatch or whatever though.

#7 Edited by Hexogen (766 posts) -

I would say I don't want multiplayer in my Mass Effect, but I also said that about Assassin's Creed, and that turned out to be really cool.

[Edit] I went and actually read the article thoroughly instead of skimming through it, and a co-op campaign would make sense. For some reason whenever I hear "multiplayer" I automatically assume it's competitive.

#8 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Shepard...

#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11136 posts) -

I am making enraged exclamations of derision!

#10 Posted by sugetipula (98 posts) -

5th :D

#11 Posted by nutta27 (198 posts) -

Oh well multiplayer no multiplayer makes squat of a difference to me.

#12 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

if not necessarily quality

Nope, sorry.

#13 Posted by YOUNGLINK (550 posts) -

hmmmmmm.

#14 Posted by jamesisaacs (221 posts) -

Nice, this game will be ace!

#15 Posted by adoggz (2069 posts) -

because thats exactly what I want out of my story focused RPShooter

#16 Posted by nutta27 (198 posts) -
@sugetipula Make that 9th mate
#17 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

We'll get all the juicy details when the aforementioned magazines hit store shelves, and someone on NeoGAF inevitably scans all the feature pages and plasters them into a thread, thus spreading said information across the many news sites and blogs with similar, yet not entirely the same commentary, followed by similar, yet not entirely the same comments, ranging from enraged exclamations of derision, to excited, gleeful yelps of joy. Eventually the commenters will tire themselves out, both the rage and the joy will trail off, and the Internet will grow quiet for a single, fleeting moment before, like the Big Bang itself, a new rumor of multiplayer in something--maybe in Darksiders II or something--sparks the Internet's energy anew. Circle of life, or whatever.

I like that the internet has become so predictable.
#18 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

Thanks EA. This series really needed multiplayer.

#19 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

I'm guessing co-op, or Horde mode.

Anything more substantial would be very surprising.

#20 Posted by leejunfan83 (969 posts) -

Get back to the NBA 2K12 review Alex

#21 Posted by Soap (3596 posts) -

I'd love to be able to eat my own words on this in a few months if I'm wrong, but if this multiplayer fucks with how good the single player is in anyway I will be royally pissed, and EA will know about it.

#22 Posted by FoxMulder (1702 posts) -

Whatevs...guess it will be cool to see some co-op stuff, but I'm not too big on competitive. Uncharted is the only one I really keep playing MP in...nothing else has interested me.

#23 Posted by Greatgrey (55 posts) -

Fuck this

#24 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

Oh okay.

#25 Posted by TheMasterDS (2076 posts) -

Hmmmm.... I hope it's Coop and not competitive. Since the partner AI is generally poor anyway a Coop mode could only improve the game. Competitive multiplayer however I don't think can fit at all because it's simply not that sort of game.

#26 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1324 posts) -

I'm hoping it's not based on the arena junk in the first game's DLC, if it has a decent/interesting twist that will be cool. Co-op is something people might appreciate as well but there's no way it can be 'full' singleplayer co-op type stuff so really... who cares about separate co-op missions that last 20mins or horde mode 'yet again'.

My mind is still kinda focused on Skyrim though, no thoughts on ME3 other than I look forward to playing it, but it's in march so I try and put it away in it's dark hole in my head :)

#27 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11800 posts) -

Confirmed: Mass Effect 3 is RUINED FOREVER.

the previous statement was sarcasm, but I figured I might as well get it out of the way before it gets posted seriously.

#28 Posted by Matterless (330 posts) -

@adoggz said:

because thats exactly what I want out of my story focused RPShooter

This. Millions of times.

#29 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

I predict a cooperative wave-based survival mode.

#30 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

That is one horribly photoshopped cover. WTF is up with Shepard and Liara's faces?!

#31 Posted by Sunjammer (916 posts) -

It's totally gonna be 100% the same as Star Wars: Rebellion.

#32 Posted by RE_Player1 (7561 posts) -

I'll wait for a price drop when Mass Effect 3 is released. I'm a huge fan but I'm not spending $60 for a package with a portion I will literally never touch.

#33 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I hated the idea of it until I gave my old X-Box to a buddy and got him into Mass Effect. Now it's more "fuck it, why not?".

#34 Posted by evilrazer (489 posts) -

It was like a given thing, but still wondering how this going to work out.

#35 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

God do I ever hate when people cry about multiplayer being added to a previously single player only game.

#36 Posted by MjHealy (1854 posts) -

Whatever. If the multiplayer is bad I will just ignore it. The probably great campaign will out weigh any potentially bad multiplayer.

#37 Posted by Poki3 (527 posts) -

Thanks Bioware for taking the time and money to develop a feature most fans of your game don't want and won't play.

Here's a free tip for developers: tacking on a multiplayer component to your primarily singleplayer game is not a good way to "combat" used game sales.

#38 Posted by NeroticShadows (10 posts) -

Sigh. First Dead Space, now this. I guess no-one can really pass judgement until they've played it, but all the same, the thought of it doesn't seem appealing to me.

#39 Posted by johncallahan (570 posts) -

I've said it before. As long as it doesn't detract and take dev time from the single player then they can go ahead and add whatever they want.

#40 Posted by Falconer (1691 posts) -

Literally could not give more of a shit than I currently do.

#41 Posted by DrunkenWisdom (11 posts) -

Bioware should have made a regular KOTOR 3 and made Mass Effect an MMO instead.

#42 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3344 posts) -

They will learn some day.

#43 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

If it's just co-op, fine I guess. Kinda weird and nonsensical, but fine. If it's yet another generic multiplayer shooter lazily slapped onto an EA game, then that's gonna start to bother me.

At least the true benefits of the EA multiplayer pass reveal themselves. If I have zero interest in this game's multiplayer, boom there goes any reason to buy it new.

#44 Posted by Hef (1118 posts) -

You know what game had multiplayer. MGS4. You know what I didn't play but still had an amazingly fun time with the game anyways? MGO.

#45 Posted by Lazyaza (2188 posts) -

I have faith that Bioware won't fuck up the game with this. It's not campaign multiplayer for certain so it won't impact the "proper" game and considering how big their studio is its highly likely the co-op/competitive whatever part of the game is being made by one of their second teams or partner studios thus neither taking resources from the development of the main game either.

Yeah it smacks of box ticking but I dunno, I just don't think Bioware are the sort of company who would do that.

#46 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (316 posts) -

This has to be the most pragmatic news post I've ever read.

#47 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Ugh...

#48 Posted by Swoxx (3002 posts) -

Well queue a shitstorm of people overreacting before even knowing what it is.

#49 Posted by Levius (1143 posts) -

I guess EA has to put something behind that online pass.

#50 Posted by Creamypies (4070 posts) -

Its soul purpose is so that the game will now come with an online pass. Thus enticing more people to buy the game new. Fuck you EA. I don't even care if it's good, because I will always live in the knowledge that less time was spent making the single player campaign awesome so that they could add in some tacked on multiplayer component.

RAGE RAGE RAGE!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.