Mass Effect 3 is cover of May's Game Informer

  • 80 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

oh god Earth is fucked

#52 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that played a male Shepard. "
The majority of people played Male Shepard according to Bioware. The Giantbomb community just loves playing females in RPGs for some unknown reason. "
Most of them are weird closet feminist white knights.
#53 Posted by Yummylee (21509 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that played a male Shepard. "
The majority of people played Male Shepard according to Bioware. The Giantbomb community just loves playing females in RPGs for some unknown reason. "
They claim it's because Jennifer Hale's Robo-Shepard voice work is superior, but we all know that's just a lie to cover up their misogynist reasoning of staring at female booty for 30+ hours.

Or they're transgendered.

Nothing wrong with that one, though.
"
No, Mark Meer just does a terribly bland and monotonous voice performance. I've played as both genders multiple times as well, so I've certainly given them both a chance, and Jennifer Hale easily wins out.

In contrast, though, I found myself to much prefer Male Hawke's VA in Dragon Age 2.
#54 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that played a male Shepard. "
The majority of people played Male Shepard according to Bioware. The Giantbomb community just loves playing females in RPGs for some unknown reason. "
It's definitely not limited to Giant Bomb. If you go on NeoGAF or any other popular forum, you'll see the same comment similar to "Everyone knows Shepard is a female!!" I guess gamers generally prefer playing as females when they get the choice between genders for some reason.
#55 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4719 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that played a male Shepard. "
The majority of people played Male Shepard according to Bioware. The Giantbomb community just loves playing females in RPGs for some unknown reason. "
It's definitely not limited to Giant Bomb. If you go on NeoGAF or any other popular forum, you'll see the same comment similar to "Everyone knows Shepard is a female!!" I guess gamers generally prefer playing as females when they get the choice between genders for some reason. "
Closest they'll get to a vagina, I think.
#56 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that played a male Shepard. "
The majority of people played Male Shepard according to Bioware. The Giantbomb community just loves playing females in RPGs for some unknown reason. "
They claim it's because Jennifer Hale's Robo-Shepard voice work is superior, but we all know that's just a lie to cover up their misogynist reasoning of staring at female booty for 30+ hours.

Or they're transgendered.

Nothing wrong with that one, though.
"
No, Mark Meer just does a terribly bland and monotonous voice performance. I've played as both genders multiple times as well, so I've certainly given them both a chance, and Jennifer Hale easily wins out.

In contrast, though, I found myself to much prefer Male Hawke's VA in Dragon Age 2.
"
I disagree. I can't stand Hales Shepard, I think it sounds terrible.
#57 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4719 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @KingWilly said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that played a male Shepard. "
The majority of people played Male Shepard according to Bioware. The Giantbomb community just loves playing females in RPGs for some unknown reason. "
They claim it's because Jennifer Hale's Robo-Shepard voice work is superior, but we all know that's just a lie to cover up their misogynist reasoning of staring at female booty for 30+ hours.

Or they're transgendered.

Nothing wrong with that one, though.
"
No, Mark Meer just does a terribly bland and monotonous voice performance. I've played as both genders multiple times as well, so I've certainly given them both a chance, and Jennifer Hale easily wins out.

In contrast, though, I found myself to much prefer Male Hawke's VA in Dragon Age 2.
"
I disagree. I think Hale sounds like an emotionless robot, whereas Meer sounds like a person. His performance is nuanced. Any scene that calls for any real emotional, serious kick, he knocks it out of the park. Every single time. Hale sounds the same all the time, with no variation. 

I don't think it's her fault as a voice actress, though. Everything else she's done voice work for, her performance has been a stand-out in the title. For some reason, she just doesn't even sound human in Mass Effect. There's no inflection, no emotion, nothing but a cold, sultry voice. If that's enough for you, that's cool, but I don't think it tops Meer's performance by any stretch of the imagination.
#58 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

Jesus Christ, people. Again with the Meer vs. Hale argument?

....Excited to get get some info on ME3, finally! Hopefully will dispel some of my concerns.

#59 Posted by Mr_Faraday (241 posts) -
@KingWilly:
@CL60:

Agree and agree, thank god there are other people that hear her as a robot in these games.
#60 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

I'm really getting sick of all the "thats not really Shepard posts". I mean I get it. Your Shepard is whoever you want them to be and nothing can change that. But keep bring up "thats not my Shepard" every time they show default Shepard is annoying. Its been that way when Mass Effect 1 came out, its been that way when Mass Effect 2 came out, and its going to be like that when Mass Effect 3 cames out. Quit your bitching and deal with it.


Sorry to go on such a crazy rant, I'm just been really getting sick of people on the internet of late.
#61 Edited by Lucifer (263 posts) -

Female Shepard might technically have the better voice actor. But I just love the stale and boring voice of male Shepard. The scenes when he has to express emotions become absolutely hillarious. He's so goddamn derp.

#62 Edited by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -
@FreakAche said:

" @SteamPunkJin said:

" So now is when it's gets hard to stay in Media Blackout Mode with ME3 huh? You ruined a lot of ME2 for me GI....there will not be a repeat.Also, Shepard is in fact, a red headed woman, that is all. "

How spoilery did they get with Mass Effect 2? "
 I found the scans of it....not exactly as bad as I remember, I guess working with Cerberus was their biggest offense, lots of crew info.
Anyway you take a look for yourself here. They also seem to have quite a bit of misinformation - and granted the game was still be developed - the 'heavily upgraded Mako' came post-release, Grunt does bullrush enemies but you don't get to control that particular power of his,  they talk about 19-types of weapons and ability to swap them out mid-mission (one of the game's major failing is the shipboard customization restrictions).
#63 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Default male Shepard here.

The few. The proud. The default male Shepards.
#64 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Male Shep = the worst Shep. 

#65 Posted by HubrisRanger (488 posts) -

Keep in mind that a large reason for the extreme spoilers that came out of ME2 immediately before its launch was in large part due to Bioware's own PR campaign. Rather than allowing their jaw-dropping opening sequence be appropriately shocking, they encouraged journalists to write about how jaw-dropping it was. When people were kinda put off by that, Hudson made a very public mea culpa where they essentially said "Yeah, that was kinda bone-headed of us, wasn't it?" I'd hope/suspect they learned their lesson and want to actually keep the truly shocking things hidden for now.

#66 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11631 posts) -

Default Male Shepard all the way. Quite frankly, I don't like FemShep's voice that much. Not quite sure why, as I'm fully aware Male Shepard isn't hitting it out of the park either. Now if the voice actors for Hawke voiced Shepard.... That would be the best worst thing in the entire world.

#67 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@HubrisRanger said:

" Keep in mind that a large reason for the extreme spoilers that came out of ME2 immediately before its launch was in large part due to Bioware's own PR campaign. Rather than allowing their jaw-dropping opening sequence be appropriately shocking, they encouraged journalists to write about how jaw-dropping it was. When people were kinda put off by that, Hudson made a very public mea culpa where they essentially said "Yeah, that was kinda bone-headed of us, wasn't it?" I'd hope/suspect they learned their lesson and want to actually keep the truly shocking things hidden for now. "

Couldn't agree with you more. I went into Mass Effect more or less blind since I hadn't read up much about it before release - and the intro with a custom made Shepard was mind blowing alone.
With ME2 I pretty much knew exactly what would come, though not exactly when. Hell even Legion wasn't a surprise, but then again I had already suspected a geth would make a party member given the peculiar nature of them.
Either way, the opening parts of ME2 could have been a lot more mind blowing if it wasn't hammered in every bloody PR campaign.
#68 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

He looks like someone shoved a metal rod up his ass.

#69 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

I hope this is better than 2. Cause 2 was el shit! I love this series!

#70 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2452 posts) -

Guys! They made Ashley hot! http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/freedan_the_eternal/Snapshot_20110407_1.jpg

#71 Edited by aceofspudz (937 posts) -

Playable Liara? I will be able to patch up my relationship with her after striking the fuck out in Shadow Broker when I admitted that I thought we might lose. Man, bitch, I thought you were the one person I could be honest with! Well fuck you. I don't want you any more. Unless you're romanceable in the third game.

I don't know who that cover is of either. Shepard is a female. Duh. Mine looks like GI Jane.

#72 Posted by BeachThunder (11849 posts) -

*insert 'that's not what she looks like' comment here*

Anyway, I honestly don't know if I'm all that interested in Mass Effect anymore :( sigh.

#73 Posted by Spoonybard37 (300 posts) -

Hey Shepard, the world is going to hell in a hat basket right behind ya!

#74 Edited by ThePencil (390 posts) -

LET THE BONING COMMENCE!

EDIT: Or rather:

LET THE BONING BE HYPED!

#75 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
" @HubrisRanger said:

" Keep in mind that a large reason for the extreme spoilers that came out of ME2 immediately before its launch was in large part due to Bioware's own PR campaign. Rather than allowing their jaw-dropping opening sequence be appropriately shocking, they encouraged journalists to write about how jaw-dropping it was. When people were kinda put off by that, Hudson made a very public mea culpa where they essentially said "Yeah, that was kinda bone-headed of us, wasn't it?" I'd hope/suspect they learned their lesson and want to actually keep the truly shocking things hidden for now. "

Couldn't agree with you more. I went into Mass Effect more or less blind since I hadn't read up much about it before release - and the intro with a custom made Shepard was mind blowing alone. With ME2 I pretty much knew exactly what would come, though not exactly when. Hell even Legion wasn't a surprise, but then again I had already suspected a geth would make a party member given the peculiar nature of them.Either way, the opening parts of ME2 could have been a lot more mind blowing if it wasn't hammered in every bloody PR campaign. "
Totally agree....it was even more depressing when that launch trailer came out and it actually showed you the final mission of the game.
#76 Posted by aceofspudz (937 posts) -

@Dany:

Mass Effect 2 has many flaws, not the least of which is the painfully predictable series of events. The Reaper IFF mission was the only thing I didn't see coming, and was consequently the most enjoyable thing in the game.

#77 Posted by Brendan (7771 posts) -

I gotta say, 95% of all created Shepards I've ever seen looked like crap, but I'm actually a little impressed by the two examples in this thread.  Well done people.

#78 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

Gamefaq forum has posted details along with a pic of ashely.

DONT READ FURTHER BELOW OR REST OF THREAD IF YOU ARE STARTING ME3 spoiler hiatus!!!

Got my new Game Informer, read the ME3 article. Game starts with Shepard on Earth, effectively on trial in regard to the events of Arrival, and in the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade. Prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and off to start finding those allies, fighting Reaper troops (husks of all the different species) the whole way.

Confirmed squadmates: Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and... James Sanders... That must be the guy from the trailer, I don't remember.

Speaking of which, there's a screenshot of Ashley with her hair down, and she actually looks hot. Don't have a scanner, so wait till someone with one turns up.

Confirmed to appear, but not guaranteed as squaddies: Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson. Obviously, if they live.

The game will by default feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions with if starting from scratch.

The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard. Reason why is unknown at this point.

The RPG elements are being beefed up, not going back to ME1, but giving more freedom with the character skills. Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering even more freedom. Weapons are ME2 style, with a set list, but mods make a return, not in the ME1 style, but allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and its appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. Only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once. Probably means Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will be limited to two, and Vanguard and Infiltrator will have three.

Also mentioned: The game will have numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available.

That's basically the gist of it, except for the sidebars filled with stuff everyone already knows.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing: Confirmed NO MULTIPLAYER. They're talking about future games and/or spinoffs having it, but not this time.

 Only other thing I realized I left out is that they watched a video of a segment involve a krogan vehicle train with Shepard riding along, and as it goes a Reaper comes down from the sky to attack. Shepard's vehicle is destoryed, and fighting the thing is impossible on foot. Then a Thresher Maw comes out of the ground and attacks the Reaper. The Thresher gets the upper hand by coiling itself around the Reaper, then drags it underground. It gets quiet, and seems to be over, then laser fire begins erupting from the ground, and Shepard decides this is a good place not to be. It then trails off into a description of how everything is so much bigger than the previous games.
 
#79 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Hurry up, USPS. I need to read this!

#80 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Dany said:
"
Gamefaq forum has posted details along with a pic of ashely.

 NO MULTIPLAYER.

"
Thank fuck for that. I wish more developers would take the cue that, unless your game is a dedicated MP game from the ground up, you shouldn't waste resources on a game mode that will be relevant for all of 10 minutes. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.